Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_matrix View Post

As an FYI-

I stopped by Best Buy this afternoon and they had almost all of the Depeche Mode 5.1 editions, including Black Celebration and Construction Time Again.

These are surely the US editions, which are not SACDs. The SACDs are import only, and are worth the extra money and effort for the hi-rez.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 10191 Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

These are surely the US editions, which are not SACDs. The SACDs are import only, and are worth the extra money and effort for the hi-rez.

Until the announcement of the upcoming Doobie Brothers SACD released on MoFi, Warner Bros. labels in the US don't release SACD titles domestically.

post #813 of 10191 Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
I picked up the Sound of Music SACD online today. My wife loves this soundtrack so I went ahead and bought it without doing any research.... Anyone familiar with this release? Any good?
post #814 of 10191 Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

I picked up the Sound of Music SACD online today. My wife loves this soundtrack so I went ahead and bought it without doing any research.... Anyone familiar with this release? Any good?

Sonically, it's OK....nothing to write home about.

post #815 of 10191 Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavs View Post

Thanks for the tip - it also appears you can find these at Amazon for less than half of the price chesky wants direct.

The Amazon CDs are regular mutlichannel SACD, NOT the limited edition 24/192 stereo versions. The limited editions are made to order by Chesky when you place your request. Chesky does not keep stock, nor do they make these available to other sellers (unless someone sells their personal copy). The list prices on Amazon seem about right for the standard SACDs, which are also very good.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #816 of 10191 Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

post #817 of 10191 Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
we just had a best buy open up yesterday, surprisingly they had nin sacd and dvd audio for downward spiral, i checked all the other cds, only other sacd was a norah jones sacd, mixed in with her regular ones. i picked up the nin sacd
post #818 of 10191 Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Nil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post

I got Steven Wilson, Insurgents (DVD-A) yesterday from Amazon. If you are a fan of Pourcupine Tree, you will probably like this. http://www.amazon.com/Insurgentes-St...5692198&sr=8-1

I pre-ordered it from the Burning Shed website for a lot more that what Amazon is now selling it for (GBP 15.47), and am yet to have received this; more a little disappointing because I thought that it was going to be a limited release and didn't want to chance not getting this. Curiously, the Burning Shed site does not even list the DVD-A there anymore. Has anyone else got this from Burning Shed?
post #819 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

The Amazon CDs are regular mutlichannel SACD, NOT the limited edition 24/192 stereo versions. The limited editions are made to order by Chesky when you place your request. Chesky does not keep stock, nor do they make these available to other sellers (unless someone sells their personal copy). The list prices on Amazon seem about right for the standard SACDs, which are also very good.

Lee

What a joke limited editions!!! Sounds to me they are hopping we will hear the difference, hope you are under 30 otherwise it's a waist of money
post #820 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I pre-ordered it from the Burning Shed website for a lot more that what Amazon is now selling it for (GBP 15.47), and am yet to have received this; more a little disappointing because I thought that it was going to be a limited release and didn't want to chance not getting this. Curiously, the Burning Shed site does not even list the DVD-A there anymore. Has anyone else got this from Burning Shed?

I did the same - early on Amazon either wasn't carrying it or wanted an outrageous price for it - I forget which, but at the time buying from Burning Shed seemed the wise choice if you wanted the DVD-A.

I did just get a shipping notice from Burning Shed today though so I at least hope to receive it shortly.

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #821 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

Lee

Interesting - the limited edition difference eluded me - in part because Chesky only lists 1 version on their web site so I just presumed they were the same. Many of their other 24/192 offerings they list two versions. Although frankly I'd rather have the multichannel than the 24/192 stereo version, particularly when the former is < half the cost of the latter.

Anyway, the multichannel version of Hancock Island is pretty good although the surround is relatively subtle overall. A disc I'm glad to have picked up...

Thanks for the clarification on the difference in the 2 versions. Oddly enough sa-cd.net only has 1 entry for this disc as well, the multi-channel version.

post #822 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The 2 channel version is not an SACD, so SA-CD.net would not have it listed.
post #823 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Huh - makes sense. I guess Chesky never specifies the format on their web page. I saw the catalog number though & presumed: "Catalog No: SACD341H"

Funny that non-SACD's get a catalog that starts like that. Looks like they just added an "H" for the special editions to the regular SACD catalog going by a couple others which have both on their web page...

Guess they tricked me.

post #824 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Like the Muddy Waters HDAD 24/192, I believe the Chesky 24/192 editions play as a DVD-A.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #825 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

/'
post #826 of 10191 Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Nil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I did the same - early on Amazon either wasn't carrying it or wanted an outrageous price for it - I forget which, but at the time buying from Burning Shed seemed the wise choice if you wanted the DVD-A.

I did just get a shipping notice from Burning Shed today though so I at least hope to receive it shortly.

You will be pleased to know from Burning Shed, "It is different to the version on amazon.com - that is a super jewel case, your copy is a hard-back digibook with an exclusive free postcard." Oh frabjous day!
post #827 of 10191 Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

You will be pleased to know from Burning Shed, "It is different to the version on amazon.com - that is a super jewel case, your copy is a hard-back digibook with an exclusive free postcard." Oh frabjous day!

Amazon also refunded me $1, because the price went down after the preorder. Cool.
post #828 of 10191 Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM

I too got the shipping notice for Insurgentes from Burning Shed. I'm really looking forward to this in surround as I play the download version often and really enjoy it.
post #829 of 10191 Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 PM

In anticipation of the new Oppo, I started stocking up on SACDs and DVD-As at the beginning of the year. So far I've picked up the following:

- LOTR: The Two Towers Complete Recordings (already have the other two)
- The Flaming Lips: Soft Bulletin, Yosihimi and At War with the Mystics
- Dylan: Blood on the Tracks (Blonde on Blonde, Desire and Hwy 61 Revisited are currently on order)
- Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dreams
- Steve Wilson: Insurgentes
- Bowie: Ziggy Stardust
- Eric Clapton: Slowhand, 461 Ocean Boulevard, Layla
- Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
- Elton John: Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, Captain Fantastic
- Muddy Waters: Folk Singer
- Pixies: Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova
- Talking Heads: Brick

I think I paid retail or less for all of them. Several of them were only $7 from yourmusic. There are still a few more that I plan to add as the budget permits, but I'm mainly interested in multichannel mixes. That's helpful for keeping the list fairly short.
Other, such as Beck's Sea Change are just too expensive for me to justify the purchase.

I also have a few others that were already on my shelf(Tommy, Dark Side of the Moon, etc).
post #830 of 10191 Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

such as Beck's Sea Change are just too expensive for me to justify the purchase.

Have you ever listened to Sea Change?
It's an all time great album with incredible sound quality and a phenomenal 5.1 mix.
FWIW, for a few measly bucks you're missing out on a modern classic, jmho.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #831 of 10191 Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Have you ever listened to Sea Change?
It's an all time great album with incredible sound quality and a phenomenal 5.1 mix.
FWIW, for a few measly bucks you're missing out on a modern classic, jmho.

I actually agree with you. I love the album and have owned the standard CD since the day it was released. Beck is a personal favorite of mine, but $50-60 for a single disc is beyond what I consider acceptable to me in this economy. I can get 3 or 4 of the other albums on my list for that price.
post #832 of 10191 Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoogs View Post

I actually agree with you. I love the album and have owned the standard CD since the day it was released. Beck is a personal favorite of mine, but $50-60 for a single disc is beyond what I consider acceptable to me in this economy. I can get 3 or 4 of the other albums on my list for that price.

wow, i had no idea this disc had gone up so much in price. glad i got mine a couple years ago. it just may have the best sonics of any disc i own. i'm not sure if it's worth $50. that depends on the individual. i bit the bullet on hotel california and paid $50 for that one. it's a great disc. plus, it's a classic which i'll never tire of hearing so i know i'll get a lot of listening pleasure from it.
post #833 of 10191 Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM

I've been on a buying glut myself the past few weeks. This week so far I've bought Morph the Cat, On The Threshold of a Dream, and Days of Future Passed.

Trying to find a coy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours DVD-A at a reasonable price. The prices of some these older releases, even on E-bay, is f'n crazy.
post #834 of 10191 Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

wow, i had no idea this disc had gone up so much in price. glad i got mine a couple years ago. it just may have the best sonics of any disc i own. i'm not sure if it's worth $50. that depends on the individual. i bit the bullet on hotel california and paid $50 for that one. it's a great disc. plus, it's a classic which i'll never tire of hearing so i know i'll get a lot of listening pleasure from it.

Isn't Hotel California DVD-A? I blame this title for getting me into HiRes audio. Found it in a bargain bin for $10 and while being aware of DVD-A and SACD had never heard it. Listened to in DD first and loved the surround and so upgraded all my kit for the highres audio formats and was amazed at the difference in AQ.

Thus my highres audio journey began; somewhat late to the party alas given the imminent demise of the formats
post #835 of 10191 Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Isn't Hotel California DVD-A? I blame this title for getting me into HiRes audio. Found it in a bargain bin for $10 and while being aware of DVD-A and SACD had never heard it. Listened to in DD first and loved the surround and so upgraded all my kit for the highres audio formats and was amazed at the difference in AQ.

Thus my highres audio journey began; somewhat late to the party alas given the imminent demise of the formats

yes, it's dvd-a. beck sea change was released in sacd and dvd-a.
post #836 of 10191 Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Three more on the way..... must get home before the wife gets the mail.....

post #837 of 10191 Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I just spent $75 for a used SACD. I must be nuts.

(Oscar Peterson: Exclusively for my Friends Vol 2. Been trying to complete that 6-disc collection for many months)
post #838 of 10191 Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I just spent $75 for a used SACD. I must be nuts.

It's OK....made you happy, right? You'll earn that $75.00 again soon enough.

I've spend much more for a used CD

post #839 of 10191 Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also ordered Insurgentes from burning Shed as I absolutely, positively must have the DVD-A and did not want to risk Amazon screwing around like they did with the Genesis box sets.

Listening to it now on a six-figure system in a custom, acoustically treated room. Best 'grunge' sound I've ever heard

Actually, there are a lot of really clean audio passages on this album and the dynamic range is truly spectacular.

All hail Steve Wilson, musician and producer extraordinaire.
post #840 of 10191 Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoogs View Post

scoogs, just checked back in.
Yikes! Like someone else I had no idea that this was so pricey now.
Please excuse my "few measly bucks" missive.
That's a bummer.
I've seen that with some the Depeche Mode sacds. Black Celebration, 100+ pounds.
Can you say gouge?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page