What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 337 - AVS Forum
First ... 335  336  337 338  339  ... Last
Surround Music Formats > What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?
mtrot's Avatar mtrot 07:15 AM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Just got mine as well. Just sent an email to both the merchant and B&N. Anyone know anything about this disk. It was done by the Warner remasters series.

So, you guys who ended up with this, are you going to send it back or just keep it? I have not unwrapped mine yet. Has anybody actually listened to this CD, and how does it sound? I mean, if it's a very good remaster, it might be worth keeping it for playing in the car.

Another thing is that I did look up Foreigner 4 on amazon, and they do not seem to have this particular version available for sale, which I find a bit odd, as they usually have pretty much every version of a title, including imports.

I did get an email from Movie Mars and they will send me a pre-paid label to send it back in. Anybody get any other sort of offer from them?

pepar's Avatar pepar 11:22 AM 06-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Hey Jeff,

I have a number of SACDs from DMP and for the most part they all sound great. But I never came across the Flim & The BB's TriCycle SACD at a decent price. Have you had a chance to listen to it on youtube or anything like that? I bought the Jay Leonhart Salamander Pie SACD and didn't really care for it.

Bill
I have all of the Flim & The BB's CD's ... bought them back in the day. Those titles were groundbreaking in that while many good-sounding CDs were ADD, these were DDD. So it makes total sense that releasing them on a lossless format would unlock all of the sound quality that was there from day one and was "down-sampled" by the Redbook Audio. And, unless releasing these in 5.1, there is no SQ need to go back to the multitrack masters as the SQ of the stereo master has the same SQ.

Jeff
Watsy1958's Avatar Watsy1958 07:21 AM 06-29-2014
I just bought on E-bay George Benson Breezin and Simple minds..once upon a time both DvD Audio 5.1 and you really don't want to know how huch I paid I'm still in shock..
thrak76's Avatar thrak76 07:56 AM 06-29-2014
I got this album a couple weeks ago, and it's been in constant rotation ever since. This band keeps getting better.

While technically it's 48/24, it is still a very lively multichannel release. I'm very thankful that some artists are still releasing new music in surround.

Also pre-ordered Opeth's Pale Communion as it comes with a 5.1 BD of the album in addition to the CD.
jasonmichaelh's Avatar jasonmichaelh 10:06 AM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsy1958 View Post
I just bought on E-bay George Benson Breezin and Simple minds..once upon a time both DvD Audio 5.1 and you really don't want to know how huch I paid I'm still in shock..
Not to add insult to injury (price paid), but I wonder how the upcoming Audio-Fidelity MULTI-CHANNEL release of Breezin will compare to that DVD.

The George Bensen Breezin DVD that sold on eBay yesterday does allow returns if return shipping is paid by the buyer, so maybe something to consider? Or hold on to it and buy both

I've been a Platinum member of AF going on 2 years now, but I was kind of starting to see the point that some folks on here make about being almost exclusive to MC purchases. Hopefully some more great MC titles will come out of AF.

I just received Rush, Presto, and Renaissance,
Scheherazade and Other Stories, in the mail on Friday. I have to admit I'm not sure who Renaissance is, but that is one thing I like about the subscription: it forces me to expand my listing beyond what I might normally choose.

On first listen Presto sounds great compared to the Remaster CD version.
holt7153's Avatar holt7153 12:19 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
I have two Simple Minds discs and they were not cheap. Good stuff.
Watsy1958's Avatar Watsy1958 12:43 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
Not to add insult to injury (price paid), but I wonder how the upcoming Audio-Fidelity MULTI-CHANNEL release of Breezin will compare to that DVD.

The George Bensen Breezin DVD that sold on eBay yesterday does allow returns if return shipping is paid by the buyer, so maybe something to consider? Or hold on to it and buy both

I've been a Platinum member of AF going on 2 years now, but I was kind of starting to see the point that some folks on here make about being almost exclusive to MC purchases. Hopefully some more great MC titles will come out of AF.

I just received Rush, Presto, and Renaissance,
Scheherazade and Other Stories, in the mail on Friday. I have to admit I'm not sure who Renaissance is, but that is one thing I like about the subscription: it forces me to expand my listing beyond what I might normally choose.

On first listen Presto sounds great compared to the Remaster CD version.
I have no worries the George Benson I bought was still in the wrapper that came from Australia and I only need it to use it once then it's put away. Far as e-bay that is the way it goes if you want to send anything back you pay the shipping.
al210's Avatar al210 10:25 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
So, you guys who ended up with this, are you going to send it back or just keep it? I have not unwrapped mine yet. Has anybody actually listened to this CD, and how does it sound? I mean, if it's a very good remaster, it might be worth keeping it for playing in the car.

Another thing is that I did look up Foreigner 4 on amazon, and they do not seem to have this particular version available for sale, which I find a bit odd, as they usually have pretty much every version of a title, including imports.

I did get an email from Movie Mars and they will send me a pre-paid label to send it back in. Anybody get any other sort of offer from them?
No offer just the pre-paid label. Mine is going back. What a hassle.
pepar's Avatar pepar 03:36 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I know I can make perfect copies of CD's on my tower duplicator.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried duplicating DVD-audio (or SACD). and th results

Maybe we could get a little multi-channel audio swap thing going .....?

sure beats paying $80+ to track down a disc..

Thoughts?
Really? My thoughts are that it is technologically possible, but illegal.
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 03:44 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I have two Simple Minds discs and they were not cheap. Good stuff.
Quote:

Yup, simple Mind can get silly expensive, I had my eye out on the one on ebay recently. Glad someone from here got it.

Dan
al210's Avatar al210 05:00 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:

Maybe we could get a little multi-channel audio swap thing going .....?

sure beats paying $80+ to track down a disc..

Thoughts?
Dude, that is illegle and not done here!

You can download many out of print SACDs with a DSD or FLAC hi res file download for around $25 each or less.
Watsy1958's Avatar Watsy1958 05:17 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Yup, simple Mind can get silly expensive, I had my eye out on the one on ebay recently. Glad someone from here got it.

Dan
There was three Simple Minds Once upon a time I just bought one so there is two left if anyone is interested. One is buy now for $133.00 and the other is up for bids. Myself it's the most I ever paid for a dvd audio at $114.00
Toe's Avatar Toe 06:04 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Dude, that is illegle and not done here!

You can download many out of print SACDs with a DSD or FLAC hi res file download for around $25 each or less.
Thanks for the info. Where can we do this at?
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 06:59 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
There is nothing illegal for friends to loan each other their music for enjoyment. If a friend loans me their CD and I upload it into Itunes, there is nothing illegal about that.
Not sure what country you're from but here in the USA we have a term for that, it's called piracy.
Watsy1958's Avatar Watsy1958 07:43 AM 07-01-2014
What i'v been doing is buying dvd audio and I rip a copy to my harddrive and then I put the disc away for safe keeping,also i haven't shared with anyone now is this illegal. I think if you pay 4 times the original price for say a dvd audio disc you should beable to make a copy. I know in some cases Canada is different then the US.
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 07:54 AM 07-01-2014
If you dig out an old audio CD, you'll find something written similar to the following: "All rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this recording prohibited".

However, newer releases now also include the word "lending"....
billmich's Avatar billmich 09:27 AM 07-01-2014
Moving on to a less inflammatory topic...(previous posts by me deleted).....

has anyone ever had any success finding DVD-audio/SACD at flea markets or thrift stores?
billmich's Avatar billmich 09:34 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
If you dig out an old audio CD, you'll find something written similar to the following: "All rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, renting, public performance and broadcasting of this recording prohibited".

However, newer releases now also include the word "lending"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Not sure what country you're from but here in the USA we have a term for that, it's called piracy.
What about Libraries that lend out media such as CD's?
al210's Avatar al210 11:08 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the info. Where can we do this at?
Acousticsounds.com
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 11:28 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
What about Libraries that lend out media such as CD's?
I guess they have an exemption. In much the same way libraries have an exemption to lend out books - which are also copyright protected
billmich's Avatar billmich 12:05 PM 07-01-2014
Nobody goes to the library, checks out a book, somehow "duplicates it", then returns the original....
WillyJ's Avatar WillyJ 12:23 PM 07-01-2014
Let's keep this on topic please guys. There are other threads to hash out this sort of stuff.
weekendtoy's Avatar weekendtoy 07:50 AM 07-03-2014
Quote:
Just got mine as well. Just sent an email to both the merchant and B&N. Anyone know anything about this disk. It was done by the Warner remasters series.

I apologize for the bad information on this one. I guess if something is too good to be true... I ended up keeping my copy as I didn't previously have this disc.

On a more positive note I just picked up Talking Heads: Speaking in Tongues, DVD-A duel disc

If you don't have any of the Talking Heads DVD-A's you really owe it to yourself to pick one up. They are really well done and the music has a lot of layers to it which lends itself well to multi-channel.
Aardvark7rules's Avatar Aardvark7rules 10:16 AM 07-03-2014
Hi there,
I thought I'd share this new release that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. It's "LEGEND the best of BOB MARLEY and the WAILERS - 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (CD + Blu-Ray Audio Disc)" This is a new release (July 1, 2014) and the Blu-Ray disc is mixed in 5.1!!! (unlike the earlier Blu-Ray Audio release).

"Coupled with the original release of LEGEND on CD, this deluxe version features this iconic collection entirely mixed in 5.1 by the GRAMMY® Award winning producer Bob Clearmountain on Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6D20UE

It's available on Amazon... for $27.88
My order is listed as Out for delivery! I'll be Jammin' tonight!
al210's Avatar al210 10:41 AM 07-03-2014
Just picked up Audio Fidelity:

Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies"

Boz Scaggs "Boz Scaggs"

Got them from ImportCDs for under $20 for AC and under $16 for BS. Had to pick em up for that price.
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar SeeMoreDigital 11:22 AM 07-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark7rules View Post
Hi there,
I thought I'd share this new release that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. It's "LEGEND the best of BOB MARLEY and the WAILERS - 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (CD + Blu-Ray Audio Disc)" This is a new release (July 1, 2014) and the Blu-Ray disc is mixed in 5.1!!! (unlike the earlier Blu-Ray Audio release).

"Coupled with the original release of LEGEND on CD, this deluxe version features this iconic collection entirely mixed in 5.1 by the GRAMMY® Award winning producer Bob Clearmountain on Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6D20UE

It's available on Amazon... for $27.88
My order is listed as Out for delivery! I'll be Jammin' tonight!
For anyone else who's interested, the 'stereo' Bob Marley Blu-ray audio disc's can be found here...
ematcion's Avatar ematcion 12:07 PM 07-03-2014
Coming in August from Japan Warner Music....

Quote:
Cardboard sleeve reissue from YES features SACD Hybrid, track listing in the original order, 2013 DSD remastering, and 7-inch-sized cardboard sleeve. Comes with a description and lyrics. This series features the following albums "YES," "Time And A Word," "The Yes Album," "Fragile," "Close To The Edge," "Yessongs [Live]," "Tales From Topographic Oceans," "Relayer," "Going For The One," "Tormato," "Drama," "90125," and "Big Generator."

weekendtoy's Avatar weekendtoy 01:36 PM 07-03-2014
Just pre-ordered on amazon @ $22.78

Super Sessions, audio fidelity 5.1 SACD
pepar's Avatar pepar 03:18 PM 07-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Just pre-ordered on amazon @ $22.78

Super Sessions, audio fidelity 5.1 SACD
Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills Super Session??

It is Child is Father of the Man that I would like to see
!!!!
CygnusX2112's Avatar CygnusX2112 04:55 PM 07-04-2014
Just ordered off E-Bay Yes SACD's- Big Generator, Tormato and Drama.....

Off Amazon The Who Quadrophenia Blu Ray and RUSH- Presto SACD......
First ... 335  336  337 338  339  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop