What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 341 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 143Likes

post #10201 of 10574 Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDtracks has Donald Fagen's solo albums (Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Morph the Cat, and Sunken Condos), plus an additional "disc" of demos and live tracks (same as the extras disc from the Nightfly Trilogy box set) bundled together for $48.

It's called Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete.

Cheap Xmas

While the HDtracks site has all the tracks listed as 96/24, according to what JRiver is showing for my FLAC file downloads, some of it is 48/24 (Nightfly), some 96/24 (Kamakiriad, Morph), some 88.2/24 (Sunken Condos), and the extras disc is only 44.1/24.

...and I'm not affiliated with HDtracks or Mr. Fagen. I just dig the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 10574 Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCanuck View Post
HDtracks has Donald Fagen's solo albums (Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Morph the Cat, and Sunken Condos), plus an additional "disc" of demos and live tracks (same as the extras disc from the Nightfly Trilogy box set) bundled together for $48.

It's called Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete.

Cheap Xmas

While the HDtracks site has all the tracks listed as 96/24, according to what JRiver is showing for my FLAC file downloads, some of it is 48/24 (Nightfly), some 96/24 (Kamakiriad, Morph), some 88.2/24 (Sunken Condos), and the extras disc is only 44.1/24.

...and I'm not affiliated with HDtracks or Mr. Fagen. I just dig the music.
That sounds like a decent deal. I would try to find a copy of the Nighfly Trilogy if you can at a decent price. To have the Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat in surround is worth the extra cost IMO. I have both the Nightfly Trilogy and all three DVD-As. I feel the SQ of surround versions of the Nightfly Trilogy set are very close to that of the DVD-As. I'm a huge Donald Fagen fan and I have yet to buy Sunken Condos due to poor reviews of the SQ of the CD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10203 of 10574 Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
That sounds like a decent deal. I would try to find a copy of the Nighfly Trilogy if you can at a decent price. To have the Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat in surround is worth the extra cost IMO. I have both the Nightfly Trilogy and all three DVD-As. I feel the SQ of surround versions of the Nightfly Trilogy set are very close to that of the DVD-As. I'm a huge Donald Fagen fan and I have yet to buy Sunken Condos due to poor reviews of the SQ of the CD.

Bill
I agree Bill - if you can find the DVD-As or the Trilogy for a reasonable cost it's definitely worth it - the surround versions are a treat. But, if you want something for a portable device or easy streaming or don't want to bother with the shiny discs, the 2-channel HDtracks are a reasonable alternative.

I haven't listened to the hi-rez Sunken Condos yet but I agree - the CD is definitely not up to the typical Fagen/Steely Dan standards - I was quite disappointed when I first listened to it. However, they did a much better job with the vinyl release IMO (it's the only way I've been listening to it), so I'm hoping the hi-rez version is also a step up...fingers crossed.
post #10204 of 10574 Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tom Petty-Hypnotic Eye......Gentle Giant-The Power and the Glory[both Blu rays]

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #10205 of 10574 Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCanuck View Post
I agree Bill - if you can find the DVD-As or the Trilogy for a reasonable cost it's definitely worth it - the surround versions are a treat. But, if you want something for a portable device or easy streaming or don't want to bother with the shiny discs, the 2-channel HDtracks are a reasonable alternative.

I haven't listened to the hi-rez Sunken Condos yet but I agree - the CD is definitely not up to the typical Fagen/Steely Dan standards - I was quite disappointed when I first listened to it. However, they did a much better job with the vinyl release IMO (it's the only way I've been listening to it), so I'm hoping the hi-rez version is also a step up...fingers crossed.
Was there a DVD-A of Sunken Condos?
post #10206 of 10574 Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Was there a DVD-A of Sunken Condos?
I was hoping for a DVD-A but one has not been released and most likely will not.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10207 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Wireless member

Disappointing.
post #10208 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Bill Mac-

any SACD(s) on your radar for the Fall?
post #10209 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Bill Mac-

any SACD(s) on your radar for the Fall?
JA,

Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic from Steely Dan on SHM-SACD. Also Crime of the Century from Supertramp on SHM-SACD. Although it looks like the CotC SHM-SACD might not get released as the release date has been cancelled and moved up several times. The other one is Amused to Death from Roger Waters which has also been delayed.

Other than those ones there is no other SACDs I can think of that I really need to have. I've been very good staying off ebay and the other sites as I was buying everything that wasn't nailed down .

Bill
Djoel and scirica like this.

post #10210 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thank You
post #10211 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
I was hoping for a DVD-A but one has not been released and most likely will not.

Bill
I have all of the Fagen/Dan 5.1 DVD-A's and am semi anxiously waiting for the releases of the 2-ch back catalog Dan album. But holy cow am I ever spoiled with hi-res as I can't seem to generate any motivation at all to purchase a CD, especially one that was panned for sound quality, of Sunken Condos. Nor can I get excited about buying the "hi res" download of it out of concern/suspicion that it too is not all it can/should be.

Am I cursed or discriminating?

Jeff
Djoel likes this.
post #10212 of 10574 Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Talking

Quote:
I have all of the Fagen/Dan 5.1 DVD-A's and am semi anxiously waiting for the releases of the 2-ch back catalog Dan album. But holy cow am I ever spoiled with hi-res as I can't seem to generate any motivation at all to purchase a CD, especially one that was panned for sound quality, of Sunken Condos. Nor can I get excited about buying the "hi res" download of it out of concern/suspicion that it too is not all it can/should be.

Am I cursed or discriminating?

Jeff
I'd lean towards both- Cursed w/ discriminating tastes.
tomrowe125 likes this.
post #10213 of 10574 Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
I'd lean towards both- Cursed w/ discriminating tastes.
I think that it does keep me from buying/appreciating titles with better sound quality than the Red Book I might already own. But, and here's where my biases show, that better sound is incremental. There are too many "head and shoulders/blow me away" improvements with titles that have been re-mixed for DSD/MLP for me to put out of my mind what I know is possible. To paraphrase, perfect is the enemy of the better. At that point, my consumerism trumps my music appreciation.

I try to keep my little tantrums to a minimum as I know others feel differently and I don't want to rain on their parades music enjoyment, but this Sunken Condos CD and digital download has brought it out again. In light of the incredibly awesome sounding full blown 5.1 DVD-A's from the Dan and Fagen as a solo, well ......

Jeff
post #10214 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I think that it does keep me from buying/appreciating titles with better sound quality than the Red Book I might already own. But, and here's where my biases show, that better sound is incremental. There are too many "head and shoulders/blow me away" improvements with titles that have been re-mixed for DSD/MLP for me to put out of my mind what I know is possible. To paraphrase, perfect is the enemy of the better. At that point, my consumerism trumps my music appreciation.

I try to keep my little tantrums to a minimum as I know others feel differently and I don't want to rain on their parades music enjoyment, but this Sunken Condos CD and digital download has brought it out again. In light of the incredibly awesome sounding full blown 5.1 DVD-A's from the Dan and Fagen as a solo, well ......

Jeff
This is not a bad thing imo, but tha could be b/c I'm the same way...

We all get to decide where to draw the line where diminishing returns kick in. If I have a copy of an album that I'm happy with, I won't double-dip for a slight improvement (esp. since these improvements are often highly subjective and sometimes gains are offset by losses (increased clarity at the expense of extra brightness, more low end at the expense of lower midrange bloat, etc.) Now give me a new 5.1 mix of a beloved album and I'll double-dip all day...

Not sure what tantrums you're referring to; don't recall that from you, my memory telling me that you've always seemed level-headed. I don't consider expressing complaints tantrums. I imagine you're just being self-effacing here...

That whole sunken condos is a real head-scratcher, given the Dan's historically almost OCD-like pursuit of quality sound.
post #10215 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is not a bad thing imo, but tha could be b/c I'm the same way...

We all get to decide where to draw the line where diminishing returns kick in. If I have a copy of an album that I'm happy with, I won't double-dip for a slight improvement (esp. since these improvements are often highly subjective and sometimes gains are offset by losses (increased clarity at the expense of extra brightness, more low end at the expense of lower midrange bloat, etc.) Now give me a new 5.1 mix of a beloved album and I'll double-dip all day...

That whole sunken condos is a real head-scratcher, given the Dan's historically almost OCD-like pursuit of quality sound.

Jim,

I agree as far as buying new hi-res stereo titles that I already have on CD just to have the SACD for slight SQ improvements. But if it is a title that is getting great reviews like SD's Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD then I'm all in. Especially if it is a title that I love such as Countdown to Ecstasy. If it is a new 5.1 mix and release I feel the same way in that it is a no brainer .

I'm surprised with all the negative talk about the Sunken Condos CD as well. I know one of these days I'll buy it if I find it used for a few bucks. One has to wonder why Donald Fagen would put out a CD that doesn't have the greatest SQ with his past history of excellent sounding releases.

Bill

post #10216 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
And that goes back, at least, to Katy Lied. I remember when the MFSL of it was released and there were Fagen/Becker statements to the effect that *this* was how they had always heard it in their minds, and FINALLY everyone else could as well.

Tantrums have been a while. More correctly they were rants. Bill and I had been in and out of the roundabout a few times.

jeff
post #10217 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And that goes back, at least, to Katy Lied. I remember when the MFSL of it was released and there were Fagen/Becker statements to the effect that *this* was how they had always heard it in their minds, and FINALLY everyone else could as well.

Tantrums have been a while. More correctly they were rants. Bill and I had been in and out of the roundabout a few times.

jeff

Jeff,

I would love to see Katy Lied released on SHM-SACD with a better sounding transfer than what is available. Was the MFSL version on vinyl? I ask as I do not recall a MFSL CD version of Katy Lied.

Yes we have had a few discussions on this or that regarding hi-res releases . But in the end I respect your knowledge very much in this passion of ours. I'm glad to see that you are enjoying stereo hi-res releases as well as multichannel ones. It's all good .

Bill

post #10218 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Jeff,

I would love to see Katy Lied released on SHM-SACD with a better sounding transfer than what is available. Was the MFSL version on vinyl? I ask as I do not recall a MFSL CD version of Katy Lied.

Bill
Vinyl, and the gear to make it sing. You were probably a little whippersnapper when that was released.

Other than Firesign Theater , I never bought any MFSL CDs.

Jeff
post #10219 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't have the CD for Sunken Condos but I bought the download from HD Tracks after reading a short interview with Fagen in which he said he didn't think there would be a 5.1 mix. The download itself sounds pretty good but the album itself is not that good, certainly not up to Fagen's past solo efforts, and definitely way below SD's past releases.
post #10220 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Vinyl, and the gear to make it sing. You were probably a little whippersnapper when that was released.

Other than Firesign Theater , I never bought any MFSL CDs.

Jeff

I thought it was vinyl. I was a junior in high school when Katy Lied was released. So I was young but certainly not a "little whippersnapper" .

Bill

post #10221 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Jim,

I agree as far as buying new hi-res stereo titles that I already have on CD just to have the SACD for slight SQ improvements. But if it is a title that is getting great reviews like SD's Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD then I'm all in. Especially if it is a title that I love such as Countdown to Ecstasy. If it is a new 5.1 mix and release I feel the same way in that it is a no brainer .

I'm surprised with all the negative talk about the Sunken Condos CD as well. I know one of these days I'll buy it if I find it used for a few bucks. One has to wonder why Donald Fagen would put out a CD that doesn't have the greatest SQ with his past history of excellent sounding releases.

Bill
I completely understand your reasoning; your line of diminishing returns is just drawn a little farther on than mine. Looking at your sacd collection (enviously! very nice) I would assume you have a good bit more disposable income than I. Again, had I more $, I'm sure I'd be drawing that line farther on too. While I'd love to have a better-sounding CtE, I'm happy w/ my copy and can't justify the $.

Between your system and your sacd collection, man would I love to hang out w/ you for a listening party! I did notice one glaring omission in your collection though (didn't check out the whole thing, but definitely had to check out the last page to look for my fave group): no The Yes Album? For a prolific collector like yourself w/ such good taste, that is surprising. I can only assume you went for the dvd-a of this, which is why it's not on that list?

PS- I've seen you on numerous forums and always appreciate your input (love how you deal w/ some of the um... difficult posters at SHF), but haven't seen you at Quadraphonicquad. Do you not frequent that site?

Last edited by JimWinVA; 08-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.
post #10222 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:

jeff
Big difference between a tantrum and a rant. The internet seems custom-made for rants. AFAIC, rant away! I appreciate your knowledge and discriminating tastes, whether it comes in a rant or an enthusiastic review.
post #10223 of 10574 Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 PM

And since I'm breaking out of lurk mode here (i enjoy seeing what other's are purchasing, but generally don't chime in w/ my own), I'll say that I recently got GG The Power and the Glory CD/Blu and it's amazing! Even though I'm a prog fan, I'd never been able to get into GG. But between the (awesome-as-usual) SW 5.1 mix and the incredible visuals that accompany this, it finally clicked in a big way. Literally mind-blowing; I listened to this 3X in less than a week- and I rarely listen to anything more than twice in as many weeks, even new releases.

The visuals- which incorporate the lyrics, apperaing sync'd to the music- are a reference to what can be added to enhance the listening experience. They do not distract from the music at all, rather enhance it and truly expand the experience. As much as I love SW's 5.1 mix of my all-time fave album Close to the Edge, I have to rank this release even higher, given how much the visuals add to the experience. I'm tempted to say highly recommended, but the music just won't appeal to everyone. But if you're a GG fan, it's a no-brainer; if you're a prog fan, it's highly recommended.

Also recently got the Quadrophenia Blu- also awesome (though I agree w/ other's that Ent's bass is a little low in the mix, that's a nit-pick in my book compared to the overall greatness of this release).

Also just got Lark's Tongue in Aspic and was supposed to get the Red CD/DVD, but they sent me the 2 CD set instead- still working that out and haven't spun LTiA yet (will tonight).
post #10224 of 10574 Old 08-05-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I completely understand your reasoning; your line of diminishing returns is just drawn a little farther on than mine. Looking at your sacd collection (enviously! very nice) I would assume you have a good bit more disposable income than I. Again, had I more $, I'm sure I'd be drawing that line farther on too. While I'd love to have a better-sounding CtE, I'm happy w/ my copy and can't justify the $.

Between your system and your sacd collection, man would I love to hang out w/ you for a listening party! I did notice one glaring omission in your collection though (didn't check out the whole thing, but definitely had to check out the last page to look for my fave group): no The Yes Album? For a prolific collector like yourself w/ such good taste, that is surprising. I can only assume you went for the dvd-a of this, which is why it's not on that list?

PS- I've seen you on numerous forums and always appreciate your input (love how you deal w/ some of the um... difficult posters at SHF), but haven't seen you at Quadraphonicquad. Do you not frequent that site?

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words . I'm not sure if I have more disposable income than you (probably not). But my SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray buying has just about stopped. I found I was spending too much and decided to listen to the music I have which will take awhile .

If you were local a "listening party" would be fine with me . No I do not have the new Yes Album on DVD-A or Blu-ray. I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with the CTTE Blu-ray 5.1 mix. I'd grab the Yes Album DVD-A or Blu-ray but the cost is a bit steep for a title I might listen to once or twice. I borrowed a friends Gentle Giant Power and the Glory CD/DVD set. It was my first time listening to GG and I was very impressed with the 5.1 mix even though it is not hi-res. I think I'll grab this one at my local Bull Moose store as it is only $13.97. I wish the Yes DVD-As and Blu-rays were priced under $20.

I'm not a member of Quadraphonicquad.com but I've checked it out a number of times. Maybe it's time to join .

Bill

post #10225 of 10574 Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
And since I'm breaking out of lurk mode here (i enjoy seeing what other's are purchasing, but generally don't chime in w/ my own), I'll say that I recently got GG The Power and the Glory CD/Blu and it's amazing! Even though I'm a prog fan, I'd never been able to get into GG. But between the (awesome-as-usual) SW 5.1 mix and the incredible visuals that accompany this, it finally clicked in a big way. Literally mind-blowing; I listened to this 3X in less than a week- and I rarely listen to anything more than twice in as many weeks, even new releases.

The visuals- which incorporate the lyrics, apperaing sync'd to the music- are a reference to what can be added to enhance the listening experience. They do not distract from the music at all, rather enhance it and truly expand the experience. As much as I love SW's 5.1 mix of my all-time fave album Close to the Edge, I have to rank this release even higher, given how much the visuals add to the experience. I'm tempted to say highly recommended, but the music just won't appeal to everyone. But if you're a GG fan, it's a no-brainer; if you're a prog fan, it's highly recommended.

Also recently got the Quadrophenia Blu- also awesome (though I agree w/ other's that Ent's bass is a little low in the mix, that's a nit-pick in my book compared to the overall greatness of this release).

Also just got Lark's Tongue in Aspic and was supposed to get the Red CD/DVD, but they sent me the 2 CD set instead- still working that out and haven't spun LTiA yet (will tonight).
Thanks for popping up and posting your comments!

I think I have The Yes Album.

Back to bed with my temp of 103 ...

Jeff
post #10226 of 10574 Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Jim,

Thanks for the kind words . I'm not sure if I have more disposable income than you (probably not). But my SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray buying has just about stopped. I found I was spending too much and decided to listen to the music I have which will take awhile .

If you were local a "listening party" would be fine with me . No I do not have the new Yes Album on DVD-A or Blu-ray. I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed with the CTTE Blu-ray 5.1 mix. I'd grab the Yes Album DVD-A or Blu-ray but the cost is a bit steep for a title I might listen to once or twice. I borrowed a friends Gentle Giant Power and the Glory CD/DVD set. It was my first time listening to GG and I was very impressed with the 5.1 mix even though it is not hi-res. I think I'll grab this one at my local Bull Moose store as it is only $13.97. I wish the Yes DVD-As and Blu-rays were priced under $20.

I'm not a member of Quadraphonicquad.com but I've checked it out a number of times. Maybe it's time to join .

Bill
That GG is killer, isn't it? Does the dvd have the visuals as well? I assume you're getting the BR?

Not impressed w/ CttE's 5.1 mix? Wow- I was utterly captivated- it was like being taken back to the 1st time I heard that album 40 years ago, when I had the most mind-blowing musical experience ever. Those 3 part harmonies w/ Anderson front and center while Squire and Howe each have a surround channel are absolutely spine-chilling. The title track evoked the sense of a cathedral to me. I couldn't have been happier w/ that mix. Just goes to show, different strokes...

Did you have any criticisms- or it just didn't do anything for you?

TYA was more expensive for some reason. Cheapest I found was $21 and $26 for the dvd and blu, respectively, from waysidemusic.com, but there's $3.25 shipping. I'd say it's highly recommended, but if you didn't like CttE... Though some have said they like TYA's 5.1 mix better, for me they're equally great. But I may be influenced by the content of CttE, as that music is so special to me. Not that I don't love TYA also.

As for being local, hard for me to determine w/ no location in your profile, but I assume you're not local to central VA or you'd have said something.

Yes- definitely join us at QQ! You'd be a great addition. That community is the nicest I've seen on the internet- though AVS is 2nd. It's small, which probably helps cut down on the drama/contention. But no ads and a knowledgeable, fun-loving group.
post #10227 of 10574 Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for popping up and posting your comments!

I think I have The Yes Album.

Jeff
Not sure what you're smilie means. If you have it, you'd remember it... The 5.1 (and 2.0 FTM) got rave reviews. Pretty unforgettable in my book- but then Yes is Chapter 1 in my book.

Hope you feel better soon.
post #10228 of 10574 Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That GG is killer, isn't it? Does the dvd have the visuals as well? I assume you're getting the BR?

Not impressed w/ CttE's 5.1 mix? Wow- I was utterly captivated- it was like being taken back to the 1st time I heard that album 40 years ago, when I had the most mind-blowing musical experience ever. Those 3 part harmonies w/ Anderson front and center while Squire and Howe each have a surround channel are absolutely spine-chilling. The title track evoked the sense of a cathedral to me. I couldn't have been happier w/ that mix. Just goes to show, different strokes...

Did you have any criticisms- or it just didn't do anything for you?

TYA was more expensive for some reason. Cheapest I found was $21 and $26 for the dvd and blu, respectively, from waysidemusic.com, but there's $3.25 shipping. I'd say it's highly recommended, but if you didn't like CttE... Though some have said they like TYA's 5.1 mix better, for me they're equally great. But I may be influenced by the content of CttE, as that music is so special to me. Not that I don't love TYA also.

As for being local, hard for me to determine w/ no location in your profile, but I assume you're not local to central VA or you'd have said something.

Yes- definitely join us at QQ! You'd be a great addition. That community is the nicest I've seen on the internet- though AVS is 2nd. It's small, which probably helps cut down on the drama/contention. But no ads and a knowledgeable, fun-loving group.

I will definitely get the GG Blu-ray as it is the same price and is listed as being in DTS-MA opposed to the CD/DVD which is lossy DTS.

Its not that I don't like the Close to the Edge 5.1 mix just that I thought it was kind of flat (correct term?) compared to other 5.1 audio mixes I have. The CTE Blu-ray is the only version I have so I'm not really familiar with the album. I was a big fan of Yes years ago but not that much anymore. One of these days I'll give it another spin to see if I have a different perspective on it.

I live in southern Maine so I'm definitely not local to central Virginia.

I'll definitely check out and join Quad when I have the time .

Bill

post #10229 of 10574 Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jeff

Hope you are feeling better !

Bill

post #10230 of 10574 Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Not sure what you're smilie means. If you have it, you'd remember it... The 5.1 (and 2.0 FTM) got rave reviews. Pretty unforgettable in my book- but then Yes is Chapter 1 in my book.

Hope you feel better soon.
It was my embarrassed smiley. I have not listened to it yet, but I am pretty sure that I bought it.

I have, and have listened to, CttE and was similarly transported back in time. Eddy Offord was a genius working with genius song writers, musicians and vocalists, i.e. Anderson, Squire, Bruford and Howe. Along the way, those members who swapped in and out were all at the highest levels of their game as well.

Thanks everyone, I am back to 98% after a sinus infection.

Jeff
acebreathe and tomrowe125 like this.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page