What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 341 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #10201 of 10203 Old Today, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDtracks has Donald Fagen's solo albums (Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Morph the Cat, and Sunken Condos), plus an additional "disc" of demos and live tracks (same as the extras disc from the Nightfly Trilogy box set) bundled together for $48.

It's called Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete.

Cheap Xmas

While the HDtracks site has all the tracks listed as 96/24, according to what JRiver is showing for my FLAC file downloads, some of it is 48/24 (Nightfly), some 96/24 (Kamakiriad, Morph), some 88.2/24 (Sunken Condos), and the extras disc is only 44.1/24.

...and I'm not affiliated with HDtracks or Mr. Fagen. I just dig the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 10203 Old Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCanuck View Post
HDtracks has Donald Fagen's solo albums (Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Morph the Cat, and Sunken Condos), plus an additional "disc" of demos and live tracks (same as the extras disc from the Nightfly Trilogy box set) bundled together for $48.

It's called Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete.

Cheap Xmas

While the HDtracks site has all the tracks listed as 96/24, according to what JRiver is showing for my FLAC file downloads, some of it is 48/24 (Nightfly), some 96/24 (Kamakiriad, Morph), some 88.2/24 (Sunken Condos), and the extras disc is only 44.1/24.

...and I'm not affiliated with HDtracks or Mr. Fagen. I just dig the music.
That sounds like a decent deal. I would try to find a copy of the Nighfly Trilogy if you can at a decent price. To have the Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat in surround is worth the extra cost IMO. I have both the Nightfly Trilogy and all three DVD-As. I feel the SQ of surround versions of the Nightfly Trilogy set are very close to that of the DVD-As. I'm a huge Donald Fagen fan and I have yet to buy Sunken Condos due to poor reviews of the SQ of the CD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10203 of 10203 Old Today, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
That sounds like a decent deal. I would try to find a copy of the Nighfly Trilogy if you can at a decent price. To have the Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat in surround is worth the extra cost IMO. I have both the Nightfly Trilogy and all three DVD-As. I feel the SQ of surround versions of the Nightfly Trilogy set are very close to that of the DVD-As. I'm a huge Donald Fagen fan and I have yet to buy Sunken Condos due to poor reviews of the SQ of the CD.

Bill
I agree Bill - if you can find the DVD-As or the Trilogy for a reasonable cost it's definitely worth it - the surround versions are a treat. But, if you want something for a portable device or easy streaming or don't want to bother with the shiny discs, the 2-channel HDtracks are a reasonable alternative.

I haven't listened to the hi-rez Sunken Condos yet but I agree - the CD is definitely not up to the typical Fagen/Steely Dan standards - I was quite disappointed when I first listened to it. However, they did a much better job with the vinyl release IMO (it's the only way I've been listening to it), so I'm hoping the hi-rez version is also a step up...fingers crossed.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List