What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 345 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #10321 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't seen any mention of this http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-...kooper+session
I have never heard this CD. Interested if anyone here has an opinion if it is a worthwhile purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post
I haven't seen any mention of this http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-...kooper+session
I have never heard this CD. Interested if anyone here has an opinion if it is a worthwhile purchase?
To be released soon, a couple members at the quadraphonicquad forum have been allowed copies and they say it's quite good. From Audio Fidelity the out fit that makes the gold CD's.
post #10323 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I have it on pre-order at Amazon but the release date just got pushed back from 9/2 to 9/9.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #10324 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...211#post222211

Yes they pushed it back- suks- but expect more good titles from AF.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ht=#post222146

I feel those who appreciate multichannel music should support these efforts. It's tough enough trying to get MC media (music) produced, Donald Fagen on his last album-"Sunken Condo's" when asked about 5.1 production, he stated that " most listen with tiny pc speakers anyway-so why should I bother", this from the Grammy winning surround album-and every single MC production by the "Dan", or him are some of the best 5.1 ever done. (Elliot Schiener)
acebreathe likes this.
post #10325 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

I feel those who appreciate multichannel music should support these efforts. It's tough enough trying to get MC media (music) produced, Donald Fagen on his last album-"Sunken Condo's" when asked about 5.1 production, he stated that " most listen with tiny pc speakers anyway-so why should I bother", this from the Grammy winning surround album-and every single MC production by the "Dan", or him are some of the best 5.1 ever done. (Elliot Scheiner)
Maybe he's burnt out? First of all, I think he is misinformed. But in any case, he certainly doesn't sound like the Donald Fagen of the "Sonic Obsession" section of this piece. Really disappointing if true ....

Jeff
quad4.0 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10326 of 10346 Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
The Super Session Audio Fidelity SACD has been released. The initial copies go to Audio Fidelity subscribers. Here is a thread over at the Steve Hoffman forum discussing the SACD.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10327 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Been listening to The Butterfield Blues Band SACD of East West, also on AF, with Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop on guitars. I know it's not the same music that's on the Super Session but it's still Bloomfield and I'm psyched to hear the Session disc. Amazon guaranteed delivery this coming Tuesday.
post #10328 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Thanks to all for the Super Session comments. I'll wait until I hear feedback from you good folks before deciding to buy. So many of you have turned me on to music I never would have heard otherwise. I've been listening to this http://www.musicvalet.com/products/h...tter-than-ezra I would have never heard this if not for this forum. One of my favorites, a superb multichannel release.
post #10329 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks to all for the Super Session comments. I'll wait until I hear feedback from you good folks before deciding to buy. So many of you have turned me on to music I never would have heard otherwise. I've been listening to this http://www.musicvalet.com/products/h...tter-than-ezra I would have never heard this if not for this forum. One of my favorites, a superb multichannel release.
The Super Session recording is fairly " old " having come out in 1968. You can probably listen to it on You Tube or Spotify or Pandora just to get an idea if its music that you would like before shelling out for the disc.
post #10330 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM

^^^^^ Thanks!
post #10331 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yesterday Donald Fagen - The Nightfly on SACD was delivered.
There is something deliciously addictive about well recorded music...
acebreathe and scirica like this.
post #10332 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just grabbed Miles Davis/Big Fun.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #10333 of 10346 Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I agree that the Nightfly SACD and DVD-A are excellent especially the 5.1 mix. As far as your thoughts on the Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD have you compared it to any other CD versions? The CtE SHM-SACD does not have a CD layer. All SHM-SACDs as far as I know are single layer discs with no CD layers.

Bill
Bill

I only have the SACD, I don't have any other version.
I will listen to it again soon, my system has improved since adding an ISOTEK power board, wit a clearer bass and more range. CTE just doesn't seem to be in the same league as Nightfly though, although that is a high hurdle to jump.
post #10334 of 10346 Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post
Bill

I only have the SACD, I don't have any other version.
I will listen to it again soon, my system has improved since adding an ISOTEK power board, wit a clearer bass and more range. CTE just doesn't seem to be in the same league as Nightfly though, although that is a high hurdle to jump.
Countdown was recorded in '72-'73. The Nightly in '82. Huge dif in recording technology between those two ERAS. Plus, the Nightly being compared was remixed (from the original multitrack masters) to 5.1 in 2002, while CTTE was "only" remastered (from the original 1973 stereo mix).

Remixing CTTE to 5.1 or even 2.0 would unlock more of the original sound quality, but it'd never be a Nightfly. That said, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As is, I doubt that your power conditioner will make it sound any different. Of course, you might still think it does. But that's another thread.

Jeff

- it's never done!

Last edited by pepar; 09-06-2014 at 05:06 AM.
post #10335 of 10346 Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the info Jeff

It is a power filter and isolation board, not a conditioner. You can argue with my wife's ears if you like. I was a disbeliever as well, until I tried this in my domestic situation. I agree YMMV, but mine varied significantly.

I look forward to listening to CTE again shortly.

Benje
post #10336 of 10346 Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jeff

It is a power filter and isolation board, not a conditioner. You can argue with my wife's ears if you like. I was a disbeliever as well, until I tried this in my domestic situation. I agree YMMV, but mine varied significantly.

I look forward to listening to CTE again shortly.

Benje
I have some fancy half decaf frappucino latte power conditioners (Richard Gray) and I *know* I heard the bass tighten and the definition improve, so when I take a poke at you, I am poking myself as well.

Jeff
post #10337 of 10346 Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 AM

Jeff

as a rabid disbeliever in snake oil, and a true believer in listening to the music,, I never thought I would hear a difference.

By the way, I listened through CTE today (had more time today) - that last track is a ripper isn't it. It must have been something 42 years ago.

Benje
post #10338 of 10346 Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
By the way, I listened through CTE today (had more time today) - that last track is a ripper isn't it. It must have been something 42 years ago.

Benje

Benje,

I agree 100% that King of the World is an outstanding tune. It remains one of my all time favorite Steely Dan tunes. I believe it is still "something" after all these years .

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10339 of 10346 Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Well that's a dealbreaker for me. How moronic a mistake. Are they going to replace them?

Jeff
Concerning Opeth's new album, Pale Communication.

They are sending out replacement Blu-Rays September 30th. It looks like they are re-releasing the title around that date. The album was originally released with the LF speaker out of phase in the 5.1 Blu-Ray.

There is a lot of great older stuff being released in 5.1 but this is one of the best new releases both from a 5.1 mix and musical standpoint that I've heard in a long time. A really really good 'throw-back' prog. record.

Last edited by weekendtoy; 09-11-2014 at 10:21 AM.
post #10340 of 10346 Old 09-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks! All
post #10341 of 10346 Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Got the Super Sessions SACD Tuesday and got a chance to listen to it this afternoon. Very nice, this album sounds better than it has in any previous format, even vinyl. Al Kooper says in his liner notes that he wanted to make sure all the instruments were heard and in that he succeeded. Mike Bloomfield's guitar playing is crystal clear and he is missed when they switch over to Stephen Stills. The 5.1 mix is hit and miss. Some songs use all 5 speakers some just the fronts but it works. It doesn't quite hit that" in the room " type of ambiance but it comes a lot closer than I thought they would get given the age of this album. Recommended.
post #10342 of 10346 Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
The 5.1 mix is hit and miss. Some songs use all 5 speakers some just the fronts but it works. It doesn't quite hit that" in the room " type of ambiance but it comes a lot closer than I thought they would get given the age of this album. Recommended.
My theory is that music needs to have been layered in the first place to benefit from, basically, two rear-ish channels. Yes, Moodies, Steely Dan, Eagles, Tull, lots of jazz fusion, progressive rock, etc, "work." Cream, ZZ Top, Kooper, Bloomfield and Stills and other "three instrument" bands, not so much. Anyway, that's my theory.

I would *love* Stephen Still's Manassas in surround!

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 09-13-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #10343 of 10346 Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I like the Super Sessions SACD as well!
acebreathe likes this.
post #10344 of 10346 Old 09-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Currently listening to Herbert Gronemeyer 'Mensch'. It is in German, with a male vocalist (Herbert I assume) who is not that melodic - more of a story teller than a singer. However the quality of the recording (2 ch and 5.1) is really, really good.

I have no idea how a friend of mine selected this album.

I emphasise - the singing is in German, but the quality of recording is also germanesque!

Benje
post #10345 of 10346 Old 09-13-2014, 06:58 PM

And another german disk, mainly electronic, not much vocal, is Schiller's 'Leben' album.

It is recorded quite 'hot' unfortunately, but is a good listen. Just turn the volume down.

Benje
post #10346 of 10346 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Got the Super Sessions SACD Tuesday and got a chance to listen to it this afternoon. Very nice, this album sounds better than it has in any previous format, even vinyl. Al Kooper says in his liner notes that he wanted to make sure all the instruments were heard and in that he succeeded. Mike Bloomfield's guitar playing is crystal clear and he is missed when they switch over to Stephen Stills. The 5.1 mix is hit and miss. Some songs use all 5 speakers some just the fronts but it works. It doesn't quite hit that" in the room " type of ambiance but it comes a lot closer than I thought they would get given the age of this album. Recommended.
I received my copy over the weekend as well. I believe the 5.1 mix has been sitting the on the shelf for ten years or so, waiting to be released.

I really like the Kooper/Blomfield collabrative tracks. I thought the bass was a little heavy on a few tracks, but not terribly so. As you mentioned, nice clear separation of instruments.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page