post #10531 of 10541 Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Downloaded DSD of Alan Parson's I Robot from Acoustic Sounds.

It sounds alright. Not my worst disk. I would give it a 6 out of 10. I expected it to be a little better.
That and the other two titles available as SACDs are hugely disappointing. I have reason to believe that Alan remixed his entire catalog into 5.1 some years ago for a 25th anniversary series of remastered (stereo) SACD releases. Some recent announcements about vinyl releases done with Sally Woolfson make me suspect that a) they are milking his body of work and b) 5.1 hi-res may not be that far away.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 10541 Old 11-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Okay I've cracked!

Due to all your rave recommendations I've just purchased the Bob Marley - Legend: 30th Anniversary Edition CD + Blu-Ray Audio disc set. A few months ago I very nearly bought the HFPA version, I'm so glad I didn't...

Cheers
Unfortunately I bought the HFPA version and believe me there is no comparison and the new anniversary edition is a 5.1 mix to boot.
post #10533 of 10541 Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Thanks! What about sound quality? Are they the same mix and same master? I mean, there is about $60 difference in price, right? And I can play the SACD in the car as well!
You can rip the blu rays to play in the car. As Phantom Stranger said they are different masterings as they should be because you are getting all the shows from that weekend. With that said if you are a casual fan the SACD may be enough for you. I have both and for me the blu ray set is the way to go as the sound is just a tad better IMHO. Both mixes use the rears for audience response only.
post #10534 of 10541 Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Odd I have received my Tears for Fears SftBC yet, I think I ordered from ImportCD, anyone else waiting to get theirs?

Thanks

Djoel
post #10535 of 10541 Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Odd I have received my Tears for Fears SftBC yet, I think I ordered from ImportCD, anyone else waiting to get theirs?

Thanks

Djoel
Amazon.ca is showing today the 24th as "release day", my account shows it being packed to send today, so you're not alone....
post #10536 of 10541 Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Bryan Adams - Reckless
Just arrived today. Just finished ripping the 5.1 tracks. Time to go into the cave and have a listen.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #10537 of 10541 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Amazon.ca is showing today the 24th as "release day", my account shows it being packed to send today, so you're not alone....

Thanks I might of jump the gun there, I noticed a few on the Tears for Fears dedicated thread already received there's..

Djoel
post #10538 of 10541 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just shipped from CD Japan

Supertramp Breakfast In America [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]

Steely Dan Aja [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Alchemy: Dire Straits Live [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #10539 of 10541 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Sorry, I know this is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but can somebody just hit me with which is the preferred version between the SACD and the new Blu-ray version? Thinking of getting that for Christmas. Thanks!
MFSL's new catalog lists the Allman's Live At Fillmore East as a possible SACD for them. There is some question as to whether they plan to remaster it yet again, so soon after the Blu-ray set.
post #10540 of 10541 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
MFSL's new catalog lists the Allman's Live At Fillmore East as a possible SACD for them. There is some question as to whether they plan to remaster it yet again, so soon after the Blu-ray set.
I saw that in the catalog as well. I thought the Fillmore East MFSL SACD was cancelled. I'd be interested in the reviews if and when it is released. If I recall there is supposed to be a Fillmore East APO SACD as well which was cancelled.

Just bought:

Horace Parlan - Movin' and Groovin' APO SACD

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7350

If anyone is a fan of Stan Getz or just a fan of excellent jazz definitely check out the Pure Getz SACD. It is an outstanding sounding SACD which I'm listening to as I type. It has a multichannel mix but I'm enjoying the stereo mix today .

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1078

Bill
Djoel likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10541 of 10541 Old Today, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I saw that in the catalog as well. I thought the Fillmore East MFSL SACD was cancelled. I'd be interested in the reviews if and when it is released. If I recall there is supposed to be a Fillmore East APO SACD as well which was cancelled.

Just bought:

Horace Parlan - Movin' and Groovin' APO SACD

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7350

If anyone is a fan of Stan Getz or just a fan of excellent jazz definitely check out the Pure Getz SACD. It is an outstanding sounding SACD which I'm listening to as I type. It has a multichannel mix but I'm enjoying the stereo mix today .

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1078

Bill
You know I love Stan Getz! Now that I'm building a music server I need to find a download though. Anyone seen this title as a download??
Reply Surround Music Formats