Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Because of Djoel's link to Audio Circle, one such PS3 is on its way to me now
Merry Christmas to me
Excellent, depending on how many SACD you it looks like you'll be purchasing tons of TB storage that is if don't have it already.

keep us posted.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10629 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Excellent, depending on how many SACD you it looks like you'll be purchasing tons of TB storage that is if don't have it already.

keep us posted.

Dan
I will and thanks for the link.
I saw Jason's ebay store a year or so ago, but I think the price used to be $350-400, plus he gives a discount for "SACD Guys" and will pre-install the ripping software.

8 TB and counting.
Already have a lot of DSF files from a SACD ripping guy and I rip all of my CDs, DVD-As and Blu-rays.
Western Digital 2TB passport drives are my choice right now.
I haven't gone to the more sophisticated route of NAS, ethernet etc.

I think in a couple years cloud storage will be cheap enough to reasonably handle the file sizes\bandwith required.
The only hassle I see is the initial upload but it's not like I have to carry the bits myself.
Comcast just doubled everyone's internet speed in my area, for as yet, no additional cost.

I think Bill Mac will eventually get onboard with hard drive music but by that time he'll have to take a leave of absence to convert all of his discs.
Djoel likes this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #10623 of 10629 Unread Today, 10:06 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
I will and thanks for the link.
I saw Jason's ebay store a year or so ago, but I think the price used to be $350-400, plus he gives a discount for "SACD Guys" and will pre-install the ripping software.

8 TB and counting.
Already have a lot of DSF files from a SACD ripping guy and I rip all of my CDs, DVD-As and Blu-rays.
Western Digital 2TB passport drives are my choice right now.
I haven't gone to the more sophisticated route of NAS, ethernet etc.

I think in a couple years cloud storage will be cheap enough to reasonably handle the file sizes\bandwith required.
The only hassle I see is the initial upload but it's not like I have to carry the bits myself.
Comcast just doubled everyone's internet speed in my area, for as yet, no additional cost.

I think Bill Mac will eventually get onboard with hard drive music but by that time he'll have to take a leave of absence to convert all of his discs.
Natively playing DSF as opposed to converting to ... anything else ... is a very good thing. Not news though I'd bet.

Jeff
post #10624 of 10629 Unread Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Natively playing DSF as opposed to converting to ... anything else ... is a very good thing. Not news though I'd bet.

Jeff
I know some will not agree but when I initially got my Oppo and played a sacd it didn't sound that good, not bad but not as good as an older dedicated sacd player I had.
I then RTFM and set it to output DSD, no conversion to PCM, it made an audible difference.

On another forum, some are extolling the virtues of the PS Audio box that converts everything to DSD.
Not willing to spend $5k to test that theory out.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #10625 of 10629 Unread Today, 01:36 PM
Wireless member

Liked: 170
Quote:
I know some will not agree but when I initially got my Oppo and played a sacd it didn't sound that good, not bad but not as good as an older dedicated sacd player I had.
I then RTFM and set it to output DSD, no conversion to PCM, it made an audible difference.
It is all about the conversion hardware and software. And then some prepros/AVRs do not convert at all; their DSPs accept DSD natively. Your observation is as expected.

Quote:
On another forum, some are extolling the virtues of the PS Audio box that converts everything to DSD.
Not willing to spend $5k to test that theory out.
DSD can be converted to/from PCM, but no audio quality is gained. You can't take one lossless format, convert it to another lossless format, and have it sound any better. Plus, the hardware/software the pros use to convert costs a lot more than $5k.

Jeff
post #10626 of 10629 Unread Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Why is it sacrilege?
IMO, HD based music is the way to go.
I don't regret doing it for a second.

Are you going to sell your Oppo since you got your fancy-smancy DAC?
Think I'll keep my Oppo for now, as my fancy-smancy DAC isn't able to decode DSD files, and I do like the video and mch capabilities of the Oppo. In hindsight, if I knew I was going to get the server i would have saved some money and gone with the 103D since all my 2-channel is now going music server to DAC to analog in on my preamp. Expensive lesson!

I think the best thing I did during the server project was to run two dedicated Cat6 lines to my equipment rack. I had a combination of wifi and internet via powerline adapters. Now I have full internet bandwidth and a gigabit internal network for moving files from the NAS to the server. Life is good.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #10627 of 10629 Unread Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Think I'll keep my Oppo for now, as my fancy-smancy DAC isn't able to decode DSD files, and I do like the video and mch capabilities of the Oppo. In hindsight, if I knew I was going to get the server i would have saved some money and gone with the 103D since all my 2-channel is now going music server to DAC to analog in on my preamp. Expensive lesson!

I think the best thing I did during the server project was to run two dedicated Cat6 lines to my equipment rack. I had a combination of wifi and internet via powerline adapters. Now I have full internet bandwidth and a gigabit internal network for moving files from the NAS to the server. Life is good.
I bet it is.

Ok, so now that you've returned, a straight up question;
Do you or do you not have a SACD ripping-capable PS3.
Simple Yes\No question.
BTW, I've enjoyed your posts here on this lonely outpost of hi-res.
Merry Christmas to You and Yours.

post #10628 of 10629 Unread Today, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I only have a very limited SACD collection and would LOVE to find someone who could rip them for a fee. I really CBA doing it myself.

Cheers,
post #10629 of 10629 Unread Today, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 511
Just bought:

Nat Adderley - Work Song SACD

I've been trying to buy this SACD for quite awhile. Either the prices were too high or I didn't bid on one that went no bid for $14.50 ! But I finally scored one at a very fair price .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page