What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 368 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

post #11011 of 11021 Old 03-22-2015, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
The Guess Who SACD from AF arrived finally. Put it on the 4.0 mix and I was hugely disappointed. Boomy and certainly not crankable on my system. Highs seem to be MIA, and my shoulders dropped a little. Luckily, Hoffmann's stereo mix is absolutely sooopoib! I've become an MC man of late, but I'll be playing this in 2 channel from now on.
Sorry to hear about the 4.0 Bill. Not to rub it in but it sounds just fine on my system. However I do prefer the stereo version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Sorry to hear about the 4.0 Bill. Not to rub it in but it sounds just fine on my system. However I do prefer the stereo version.
I'm not sure what's going on with the 4.0 that I have ace, this mix is getting a lot of love out there. I had just gotten back from a trip and ran it through the paces fairly quick, I'll have to revisit this disc and see if I have something set up wrong.
Bill
post #11013 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerMatt View Post
Greetings from a forum newbie!

I am a new participant in the multichannel music world with the recent purchase of a few additions to my hardware and media collection, so this forum seemed like a good place to say hello. I recently upgraded my AV surround system to include Dolby Atmos, which freed up some gear for a dedicated audio setup.

My audio system includes a Denon AVR-4806 with Oppo BDP-80 attached, and a variety of Polk Audio speakers for a 5.1 audio setup. I've been enjoying a few SACD's from Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Queen, and a few others. I'm particularly impressed by Dark Side of the Moon. I've listened to that album in stereo more times than I can count, and I see many more in my future in multichannel.

I also have a Sony Blu-ray player thst can do SACD, but I couldn't resist picking up the old Oppo at a good price off eBay recently. It was a bit quirky at first, but a firmware update seems to have taken care of that. Most of my multichannel music right now is SACD, but I have a couple Blu-ray audio titles too. I hope to pick up a couple DVD-A's soon to try thst out as well.

I'm looking forward to picking up tips from this forum along with suggestions for new music to discover.
Congrats on the BDP-80 (and everything else). I bought a BDP-80 for my parents during its brief time being sold, they have enjoyed it greatly for the last five years.

I was going to suggest that you make sure the firmware was updated, since a lot of functionality was added after the fact, like DVD-A and DLNA capabilities, but you already did.

I have two Oppos, my old reliable BDP-83 (now doing bedroom music duty) and a new BDP-103D.

All of them play music really well, with the 103D adding DSD capabilities. Enjoy, I don't think there's a better deck for multichannel music than an Oppo.
acebreathe likes this.
post #11014 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I'm not sure what's going on with the 4.0 that I have ace, this mix is getting a lot of love out there. I had just gotten back from a trip and ran it through the paces fairly quick, I'll have to revisit this disc and see if I have something set up wrong.
Bill
Don't know if it will help but I'm using the analog jacks on my Oppo so I can do DSD.
post #11015 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Don't know if it will help but I'm using the analog jacks on my Oppo so I can do DSD.
That means the DACs in the Oppo are doing the conversion. Do you have an "SE" model with sooperdooper DACs? If not, you might try bitstreaming DSD over HDMI to your receiver/processor.

Jeff
post #11016 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Yeah, I'm running HDMI from my 103, the Pio Elite does a better job than the 103 DAC. It was just way underwhelming where other discs in MC and even the stereo on this one are fine. May give it another spin later this evening. It could be me being delusional (again)
post #11017 of 11021 Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
That means the DACs in the Oppo are doing the conversion. Do you have an "SE" model with sooperdooper DACs? If not, you might try bitstreaming DSD over HDMI to your receiver/processor.

Jeff
Only use it for my SACD's and the few DSD downloads I've purchased. My pre pro has six channel analogs in. I use the HDMI for all my other recordings and blu rays. Sounds fine to me.
post #11018 of 11021 Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Sounds fine to me.
post #11019 of 11021 Old Today, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just received, Oscar Peterson and Stephane Grappelli - Skol
post #11020 of 11021 Old Today, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Just got:

Gil Evans - Gil Evans & Ten SACD

Thanks, Dan !

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11021 of 11021 Old Today, 07:41 AM
Wireless member

^^^

By now, the list of titles you do not own must be smaller than the ones you do!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats