What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 433Likes

post #11281 of 11291 Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm finally in the digital high res camp with the purchase of a digital audio player. I purchased the Ozzy era Black Sabbath albums along with Iron Maiden's Powerslave and Killers. I'll probably purchase No Prayer for the Dying in the next few days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 11291 Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just received my copies of Joe Walsh - So What, and B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King, from AF.

Never heard any of the other versions but these both sound nice
post #11283 of 11291 Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Okay, I just purchased Supertramp Crime of the Century in 192/24 WAV format from HDTracks. I got the WAV with the intent of making FLAC and ALAC versions if needed for space or player compatibility. Now I realize my Oppo 103 may not be my strongest link using the analog outs but I really am not hearing a major difference to my pre 2002 CD [2002 was a remaster] burned to ALAC and on a WD USB hard drive. Granted, have not spent much time but was expecting at least the mastering to make a difference. Updating my ACDC CDs to newer mastered versions made them listenable on my main system, so had at least that bias. Anyone else have experience with this download?

Last edited by jima4a; 07-04-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #11284 of 11291 Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Bill Mac-

-from above- How about a "Kind of Blue" shoot-out?
post #11285 of 11291 Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Bill Mac-

-from above- How about a "Kind of Blue" shoot-out?
JA,

When the Kind of Blue MOFI SACD arrives I'll be glad to do a comparison to it with the KoB JSACD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11286 of 11291 Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Much Thanks! Bill Mac
post #11287 of 11291 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 3079
My Division Bell DVD arrived today. Sheesh, talk about pedestrian packaging. What's the best codec to listen to this? DD or DTS?

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #11288 of 11291 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
My Division Bell DVD arrived today. Sheesh, talk about pedestrian packaging. What's the best codec to listen to this? DD or DTS?
DTS always trumps DD; more bandwidth.

And regardless of the packaging- which does suck- the disc sounds great in DTS 5.1. Enjoy!
post #11289 of 11291 Old Today, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
I agree that the Division Bell DVD packaging isn't the best but for what I paid it wasn't an issue at all. I always use DTS over DD although I'm not sure if there is an actual SQ difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

And regardless of the packaging- which does suck- the disc sounds great in DTS 5.1. Enjoy!
I totally agree in that the 5.1 mix sounds outstanding . If I had a choice between fancy packaging and the SQ it would be an easy choice every time.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; Today at 05:47 AM.
post #11290 of 11291 Old Today, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 3079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
DTS always trumps DD; more bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I agree that the Division Bell DVD packaging isn't the best but for what I paid it wasn't an issue at all. I always use DTS over DD although I'm not sure if there is an actual SQ difference.

I totally agree in that the 5.1 mix sounds outstanding . If I had a choice between fancy packaging and the SQ it would be an easy choice every time.

Bill
Thanks, guys. DTS it is. I agree the SQ trumps all. But c'mon, throw us a cheap amaray or even a jewel case.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #11291 of 11291 Old Today, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Thanks, guys. DTS it is. I agree the SQ trumps all. But c'mon, throw us a cheap amaray or even a jewel case.
I agree it makes little sense to not house such an excellent disc in a proper container, esp. given that the type supplied can actually damage the disc from pulling it in and out. But as amazingly low as the price is, you can buy whatever container you like and print up some artwork and still be way ahead of the game money-wise. I'm too lazy- I just stuck the disc in a spare dvd case and tucked the original cover inside the front flap. The look doesn't do justice to the great content, but we buy these things for the sound, right?

It's the opposite end of the spectrum which really bugs me, which ironically Floyd is guilty of as well. You can get an outstanding-looking package on the Immersion sets- but look what they cost!

On which topic, I finally found a deal I could live w/ on DSotM Immersion- won ebay auction on a used set for $70- in good shape and complete except for only 1 marble. Which rather fits as it's current owner could also be said to be missing some of his marbles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page