What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 604Likes
post #11761 of 11777 Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
You're right Bill little to no sound at all from center Norah's vocals are left to right. I wonder if I had one of the Pro Logic modes on last time I listened. At least this would seem to resolve whether the 5.1 mix is the same although without the CC I kind of hesitate to call it a true 5.1 mix.
For movies, dialog is always center channel. Well, that's why the center channel exists. Music engineers typically follow suit. The vocal might be shouldered in the L&R channels. But Norah's vocals are ... and I would need to isolate the CC to be certain ... phantomed in the center, i.e. mono'd into L&R.

There are things mixed into the CC, part of the drum kit and some ambiance or delay returns. Technically .. and actually .. it is a 5.1 mix. It's just not the kind we are most familiar ... and COMFORTABLE ... with.

Jeff
acebreathe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 11777 Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 140
As we start another new year, what are the hot SACD releases slated for 2016?
post #11763 of 11777 Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I'm looking for the DVD from the Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Super Deluxe box set. I would also be interested in the full box set if in New to M- condition. So if anyone has the DVD or the box set and is interested in passing it on please shoot me a PM. Thanks .

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11764 of 11777 Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
As we start another new year, what are the hot SACD releases slated for 2016?
I'd love to get these in 2016:

The Cars - Heartbeat City
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #11765 of 11777 Old 02-03-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What players out there can play a blu-ray audio disc without clipping off the first 1/4 second of each song?
post #11766 of 11777 Old 02-03-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroilers View Post
What players out there can play a blu-ray audio disc without clipping off the first 1/4 second of each song?
I have an Oppo 103 and 105D with no issues playing Blu-ray audio discs. What AVR/prepro and player are you using? It could possibly be a setting issue with your AVR/prepro or player that is causing the brief loss of audio.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11767 of 11777 Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
What AVR/prepro and player are you using?
I have a Yamaha RX-V477, hooked up by HDMI. I've tried a couple of different Blu Ray players (Samsung and LG), and different audio decoder outputs and settings. Songs on a Blu Ray audio disc (especially the very first one) just never begin on that very first beat. It's a minor problem, but it irritates me.
post #11768 of 11777 Old 02-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I have a Yamaha RX-V477, hooked up by HDMI. I've tried a couple of different Blu Ray players (Samsung and LG), and different audio decoder outputs and settings. Songs on a Blu Ray audio disc (especially the very first one) just never begin on that very first beat. It's a minor problem, but it irritates me.
Seems to me I recall a slight issue a year or so ago with my Oppo 103 snipping off the start of a few blu ray audio discs when playing in Dolby TrueHD, but thought they solved that with a firmware update. Outside of that, sounds like it may be an HDMI handshake issue. Do you have decent cables and how long are they? There have been noted issues in the past with too long a cable AND too short (3 footers have had problems on occasions.)
post #11769 of 11777 Unread 02-03-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I've had the same problem with my Oppo 103D and when I want to listen to audio only I start with a different source on my AVR other than what my Oppo is hooked up to, say Satellite for cable, and when the sound for that kicks in I switch back to the Oppo input and start playback. Have not missed a beat since doing that.
post #11770 of 11777 Unread 02-03-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
(3 footers have had problems on occasions.)
Really? Weird. I tried a couple of different 3 foot cables. I suspect it's my cheap players. Hopefully when I buy a UHD universal player (a couple years from now) it won't clip off the beginning of my blu audio discs.
post #11771 of 11777 Unread 02-03-2016, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Really? Weird. I tried a couple of different 3 foot cables. I suspect it's my cheap players. Hopefully when I buy a UHD universal player (a couple years from now) it won't clip off the beginning of my blu audio discs.
This is from Bob Pariseau in the Oppo 103 thread. I'm not saying HDMI is your issue, but worth reading I think...

^ HDMI operates constantly on the edge of failing. It is simple, twisted pair wire with inexpensive electronics at each end. Its roots go back to DVI, which was cabling for connecting monitors to computers that pretty much pooped out beyond 10 feet.

One of the goals of HDMI was to extend that length -- but still with cheap electronics. That was done by adding re-equalization into the transmitter and receiver chips to counter the degradation in the signal as it travelled down the cable. This has become more sophisticated in later versions of HDMI, but it is still pretty simple, and the big simplification is to design in a base level of correction for the EXPECTED change in the signal.

And that's built around a 6 foot length.

So if you use a short cable it overcompensates.

The symptoms are the same as using a cable that's too long -- more HDMI handshake failures.

Just as some people have good luck using long cables, others have good luck with short cables. Using 6 foot cables merely maximizes your luck.

This becomes more important if the HDMI chips handling either end of the cable are of different vintage. Indeed it used to be that problems were common if the chips of the SAME vintage came from different manufacturers. If both ends use today's new chips such mismatches are much less of a problem these days. But there's still lots of older gear out there.

Anyway, using 6 foot cables where possible is sound advice, and much less messy than drawing a chalk Pentagram around your equipment.
--Bob
mroilers likes this.
post #11772 of 11777 Unread 02-04-2016, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
No problem for me either. As Tornado Red already mentioned, there was an issue some time ago with Dolby TrueHD bit-streams (and even DTS-HD MA bit-streams to a lesser extent), but this was solved with a firmware update.

That being said, when it comes to detecting and decoding audio bit-streams, some surround sound amplifiers will react faster than others

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11773 of 11777 Unread Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just bought:

Respighi Reiner - Pines of Rome and Fountains of Rome - APO SACD

Rimsky - Korsakoff Reiner Scheherazade - APO SACD

Bill

Anything to get this thread back on topic .

post #11774 of 11777 Unread Yesterday, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Haven't been here in a while but a couple of comments.
Bill Mac trying to portray himself as a "Frugal Collector"?
Lucky I was wasn't drinking anything or I would've spewed.
Like a functional heroin user.
Sorry Bill, I love ya but that was funny.
Sincerely, the SRV SACD collection tempts me as well.
I bought the Japanese SACDs years ago but there was never a complete collection.
Stevie was and is a one of kind, imo, on the same level as Jimi Hendrix.
If you love his music that collection is worth it.

The initial Nora Jones Come Away With Me "SACD" which I still own, sounds beautiful.
Regardless that it was mastered from the redbook and a sham, it still sounds great.
Certainly you want the real thing but in all honesty there's not that much difference.

For myself, nothing exciting on the near horizon at all.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11775 of 11777 Unread Today, 09:39 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I always listen to the MCH layer, so Norah sounds great to me!
Milt99 likes this.

Last edited by pepar; Today at 10:48 AM.
post #11776 of 11777 Unread Today, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Just bought:

Santana - The Best of Santana SACD Sony/HK
Hi Bill, did you receive your copy of this? Will be very interested to here you thoughts on this as I'm interested in ordering it. What is the shipping time?

Cheers,

Brent

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra

Last edited by captainbrent; Today at 10:07 AM.
post #11777 of 11777 Unread Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Hi Bill, did you receive your copy of this? Will be very interested to here you thoughts on this as I'm interested in ordering it. What is the shipping time?

Cheers,

Brent
Hi Brent,

"The Best of Santana" SACD has not arrived yet. Its been over three weeks since I ordered it. Hopefully it will arrive today or early next week. I'll post my thoughts on it once I get a chance to listen to it. I've been in a serious Santana listening mood lately. So this SACD will add to my rotation of Santana discs .

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats