What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 629Likes

post #11791 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy from yesasia.com in the future .

Edit: The more I listen to The Best Of Santana SACD it is a little erratic in the mastering. This might be due to it being a complication of songs from different albums with different quality mixes. I'm glad I bought it to have in my collection but can't really give it a hardy recommendation.

Bill
Bill,

Good to hear that yesasia.com came through but a bit disappointed to hear that the Santana disc isn't as good, as we hoped it might be! Do you still feel the same way about it?

Brent

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
I received The Best Of Santana and Jennifer Warnes The Hunter SACDs today from yesasia.com. The packaging was excellent with multiple layers of bubble wrap so the cases did not get damaged. I'm listening to the Santana disc as I type and it sounds quite good. I do not have the original CD so I can't do any type of comparison. The insert is a large fold out poster on heavy paper stock. In the liner notes it states that the mastering was done by George Marino. The Hunter SACD sounds great as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from yesasia.com in the future .

Edit: The more I listen to The Best Of Santana SACD it is a little erratic in the mastering. This might be due to it being a complication of songs from different albums with different quality mixes. I'm glad I bought it to have in my collection but can't really give it a hardy recommendation.

Bill
Is there any correlation between the age of the song and the sound quality?

Jeff
post #11793 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Bill,

Good to hear that yesasia.com came through but a bit disappointed to hear that the Santana disc isn't as good, as we hoped it might be! Do you still feel the same way about it?

Brent
Brent,

My thoughts on The Best of Santana SACD have not changed. I would save the money and buy something that sounds better. I just left a short review of the SACD over at HRAudio.net.

I do not have the CD version of The Best of Santana but I was disappointed by the erratic SQ of this SACD. Some tracks sounded fine and others sounded terrible. I can not honestly recommend this SACD.

http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php...1279&showall=1

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 02-11-2016 at 02:50 PM.
post #11794 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Is there any correlation between the age of the song and the sound quality?

Jeff
Jeff,

There could be as the older tracks actually sounded better. Track 8: Open Invitation sounds terrible, so bad that I skipped to the next track. As I mentioned earlier with this being a "best of" compilation there is different quality of recordings between albums. This SACD will make me think twice before buying a title that has just been released with no reviews. But the two other reviews over at HRAudio.net were positive. So I guess reviews are not always accurate IMO.

Bill
captainbrent likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #11795 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Brent,

My thoughts on The Best of Santana SACD have not changed. I would save the money and buy something that sounds better. I just left a short review of the SACD over at HRAudio.net.

I do not have the CD version of The Best of Santana but I was disappointed by the erratic SQ of this SACD. Some tracks sounded fine and others sounded terrible. I can not honestly recommend this SACD.

http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php...1279&showall=1

Bill
Thanks Bill, I will definitely save my dollars and not spring for this one!
Bill Mac likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #11796 of 11812 Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just bought:

Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's Blu-ray

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms SHM-SACD.

I was looking to grab the BIA SHM-SACD for a long time but the prices were a bit steep. Well I searched high and low and found it on sale at Music Direct for $39.99. Music Direct is having a 20% sale on select music with free shipping over $49. Grabbed the Jeff Beck Blu-ray to put the order over $49 .

Bill

post #11797 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Just bought:

I was looking to grab the BIA SHM-SACD for a long time but the prices were a bit steep. Well I searched high and low and found it on sale at Music Direct for $39.99. Music Direct is having a 20% sale on select music with free shipping over $49. Grabbed the Jeff Beck Blu-ray to put the order over $49 .

Bill
Bill, in my opinion, that Jeff Beck blu is reference quality, both visually and sonically...enjoy!

post #11798 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Just bought:

Bill
Yep, what Brent said about the Jeff Beck disc. Got 150 or so BD concerts now, it's an easy top 5. Small venue, the recording is pristine! My first introduction to Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, over the top good. Assume you likely already have a MC mix on SACD of BIA, be interesting to see how the stereo of the SHM disc compares!

Bill
captainbrent likes this.
post #11799 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Bill, in my opinion, that Jeff Beck blu is reference quality, both visually and sonically...enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Yep, what Brent said about the Jeff Beck disc. Got 150 or so BD concerts now, it's an easy top 5. Small venue, the recording is pristine! My first introduction to Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, over the top good. Assume you likely already have a MC mix on SACD of BIA, be interesting to see how the stereo of the SHM disc compares!

Bill
Brent and Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Jeff Beck Blu-ray . I had rented it before and it sure is reference quality without a doubt! I have a number of versions of the Brothers In Arms album. I have the West German CD, DVD-A (best surround version IMO), Vertigo SACD, MOFI SACD and now the SHM-SACD. I guess the "frugal" collector side of me had a melt down .

Bill
captainbrent and Tornado Red like this.

post #11800 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Anyone getting Alan Parson Project I robot on SACD? I have it on DAD format wonder if they'll be a difference in SQ, doubt it thou!
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-314664-...brid-sacd.aspx

Also, is Steve Wilson new album release in multi channel, I just see it in Redbook over at Amazon.

Thanks

Dan

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
HT Processor : XMC-1 FW 3.1
Amplification: XPA-5 G2
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM
post #11801 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Anyone getting Alan Parson Project I robot on SACD? I have it on DAD format wonder if they'll be a difference in SQ, doubt it thou!
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-314664-...brid-sacd.aspx

Also, is Steve Wilson new album release in multi channel, I just see it in Redbook over at Amazon.

Thanks

Dan
Dan,

I have the I Robot HDAD and doubt I'll get the SACD. But if the reviews are stellar I might grab it. I emailed MOFI and asked if they would be releasing any other Alan Parsons Project SACDs and they replied that I Robot would be the only one . Too bad as I was hoping that there would be more releases.

I'm not familiar with the new Steven Wilson release. But it is available on Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix over at Burning Shed. I'll pass on it for now and wait for the next full release.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/st...oduct/65/7067/

Bill
Djoel likes this.

post #11802 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Dan,

I have the I Robot HDAD and doubt I'll get the SACD. But if the reviews are stellar I might grab it. I emailed MOFI and asked if they would be releasing any other Alan Parsons Project SACDs and they replied that I Robot would be the only one . Too bad as I was hoping that there would be more releases.

I'm not familiar with the new Steven Wilson release. But it is available on Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix over at Burning Shed. I'll pass on it for now and wait for the next full release.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/st...oduct/65/7067/

Bill

Well that's a shame, I would have love Eye in the Sky on SACD myself. I think Alan parson might be going on tour again, it would have been great to see his catalog out on Hi Def.

Yeah I have heard much of SW latest release, I'll do some reading and see if it's worth it.

Thanks

Dan

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
HT Processor : XMC-1 FW 3.1
Amplification: XPA-5 G2
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 2
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM
post #11803 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Well that's a shame, I would have love Eye in the Sky on SACD myself. I think Alan parson might be going on tour again, it would have been great to see his catalog out on Hi Def.

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #11804 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I have a number of versions of the Brothers In Arms album. I have the West German CD, DVD-A (best surround version IMO), Vertigo SACD, MOFI SACD and now the SHM-SACD. I guess the "frugal" collector side of me had a melt down .
You can never have enough versions of BIA....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ematci...57638062764275
pepar and Bill Mac like this.

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #11805 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post
You can never have enough versions of BIA....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ematci...57638062764275
Very nice collection of Dire Straits discs . They all look like brand new. I believe the first CD I ever bought was Love Over Gold. There was an awesome store in Harvard Square called Boston Compact Disc. It was the only place to buy CDs in the Boston area at the time. I went almost every week and went through the bins looking for new releases.

Bill

post #11806 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I agree with the others, Bill-great disc
Bill Mac and Tornado Red like this.

How many cases of necrophilia go unreported each year by the victims?
post #11807 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I agree with the others, Bill-great disc
A now it's on the way from Amazon Prime...thanks to all for the recommendation.
Bill Mac, holt7153 and Tornado Red like this.

Martin's Library:  http://hraudio.net/library.php?user=11733

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinema, Denon AH-D2000 headphones
post #11808 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Just bought:

Bill
Quote:
Brent and Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Jeff Beck Blu-ray . I had rented it before and it sure is reference quality without a doubt! I have a number of versions of the Brothers In Arms album. I have the West German CD, DVD-A (best surround version IMO), Vertigo SACD, MOFI SACD and now the SHM-SACD. I guess the "frugal" collector side of me had a melt down .

Bill
We expect nothing less! Enjoy your purchases when they arrive Bill, I know you always do
Bill Mac likes this.
post #11809 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We expect nothing less! Enjoy your purchases when they arrive Bill, I know you always do
Thanks Bill, I'm sure I'll enjoy them . Now I just need a few weeks off to catch up on some serious music listening . Winters in Maine are perfect for that!

Bill

post #11810 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bill, I'm sure I'll enjoy them . Now I just need a few weeks off to catch up on some serious music listening . Winters in Maine are perfect for that!

Bill
Yes they are, I remember "down east" weather well! -38c here tonight with the wind chill. Just d/l some good ol' music from David Wilcox and made a crockpot stew, a little comfort food with a side of R&R this evening...
pepar, Bill Mac and acebreathe like this.
post #11811 of 11812 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes they are, I remember "down east" weather well! -38c here tonight with the wind chill. Just d/l some good ol' music from David Wilcox and made a crockpot stew, a little comfort food with a side of R&R this evening...
Awesome! Sounds like a great Friday night to me .

Bill
Tornado Red likes this.

post #11812 of 11812 Old Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just bought:

Thelonious Monk Quartet - Monk's Dream ORG SACD

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats