What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1058Likes
post #12541 of 12548 Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Check out the quadraphonic thread on that Marillion disc. From my recollections the stand alone disc does not use the same mix that was included in the far more expensive box set. The stand alone disc gets very poor reviews for it's 5.1 mix.

"Pretty naff 5.1 SACD mix. Sounds more like a badly done stereo to matrix surround job, than a discrete 5.1 mix. Rumour has it the record label is responsible for that SACD "5.1-mix", not the band.
Apparently, like Simon_LDT mentioned earlier, the DVD in the boxset contains a different, (much?) better surround mix."

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...RAY-SETS/page3
Yep, thanks for the post. The majority seem to dislike this mix over there (though I guess the stereo version is okay), and it looks like the DVD is unavailable now...oh well.
Djoel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 12548 Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Anyone here listen or and received their Marillion F.e.a.r The SACD 5.1

Review Here

I just ordered it myself, I heard it over on Youtube and it's definitely my speed, again reminiscences of Steve Wilson, smooth sounds. I read this is their 18th Studio Album , it's remarkable never heard of these guys but glad I did.

Would love to hear from those who are familiar with their catalog or this particular release that would be great.

Djoel
I have been a fan of Marillion for a long time and purchased this disc as a fan and have to say that I am really enjoying the music...as for the mix itself, I do prefer the stereo version over the 5.1 as it does not do much for the disc. I do love the album itself!
Djoel and Tornado Red like this.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #12543 of 12548 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 7937

I had this in my cart for months.

Yesterday for a few hours the price dropped to under $10, so I bought it. Today it's back over $21.

April 8, 2016 release.

Mikhail Pletnev / Russian National Orchestra
Tchaikovsky Selections
Bill Mac, Djoel and bmcn like this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12544 of 12548 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up the new Return to Forever, MusicMagic SACD and also grabbed a couple of Blu-Ray concerts, Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall and Bryan Ferry Live in Lyon.
Bill Mac, Djoel and eljr like this.

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #12545 of 12548 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Picked up the new Return to Forever, MusicMagic SACD and also grabbed a couple of Blu-Ray concerts, Adele Live at Royal Albert Hall and Bryan Ferry Live in Lyon.
Is the MusicMagic SACD stereo or MC? I found the Adele concert to be fair to middlin', my granddaughter thinks the world of her, but I don't play it around her because of Adele's potty mouth, lol. The Bryon Ferry Live in Lyon concert is excellent IMO! Hope you enjoy your purchases
post #12546 of 12548 Unread Today, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Is the MusicMagic SACD stereo or MC? I found the Adele concert to be fair to middlin', my granddaughter thinks the world of her, but I don't play it around her because of Adele's potty mouth, lol. The Bryon Ferry Live in Lyon concert is excellent IMO! Hope you enjoy your purchases
I have not been home to play it yet, however believe that it is stereo, the cover does not say anything about it.

post #12547 of 12548 Unread Today, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Is the MusicMagic SACD stereo or MC?
The Musicmagic AF SACD is stereo only.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.ph...1781&showall=1

Bill
Tornado Red likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12548 of 12548 Unread Today, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1293
Check out Music Direct as they're having a sale on many MOFI SACDs at $14.99 each. If you go to the MD site and click on "SACD" then "Price: Low to High" the $14.99 SACDs are listed. Great buys on some excellent SACDs! I didn't buy any as I have enough.............. well not really !

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?c...oducts&c2=grid

Just bought:

The Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead MOFI SACD

Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender MOFI SACD

Frank Sinatra - Sinatra's Swingin' Session MOFI SACD

Frank Sinatra - No One Cares MOFI SACD

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats