What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1404Likes

post #13111 of 13118 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
cool! This is one of their best albums (the stuff I grew-up on ). I'm very curious how the 4.0 SACD QUAD format compares? Have yet to try one, but would like to experiment. I'm using a 5.1 configuration, wondering how this works (ie. 4.0 to 5.1)?

A lot of these older, classic, early-mid 1970's recordings (like "Open Our Eyes") yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital (CD) compared to most more current releases. You usually have to adjust volume maybe 4dB or 8dB higher than usual to achieve equal output listening level's. Some notable exceptions are the re-mastered Elton John classic recordings, etc.,...these sound outstanding. With all this being said I wonder how this "Open Our Eyes" SACD will compare to it's RedBook counterpart?

I really especially love "Head To The Sky" as well, I'm curious if this is available on SACD as well? It shows "Out-Of-Stock":
https://audiofidelity.net/sites/defa...eSkyMockup.jpg

I wonder when they would get more stock?
I have a 5.2 system and 4.0 quad discs sound excellent on my system. Of course quite a bit depends on the recording. I listening to the Jeff Beck Group AF 4.0 SACD last night and it sounded outstanding! Not sure what you mean by "early-mid 1970's recordings yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital" . I have numerous 1970's multichannel discs in 5.1 and 4.0 with no issues of "low-level output".

Both Open Your Eyes and Head to the Sky are readily available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TZILCWS...sacdinfocom-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 13118 Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
cool! This is one of their best albums (the stuff I grew-up on ). I'm very curious how the 4.0 SACD QUAD format compares? Have yet to try one, but would like to experiment. I'm using a 5.1 configuration, wondering how this works (ie. 4.0 to 5.1)?

A lot of these older, classic, early-mid 1970's recordings (like "Open Our Eyes") yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital (CD) compared to most more current releases. You usually have to adjust volume maybe 4dB or 8dB higher than usual to achieve equal output listening level's. Some notable exceptions are the re-mastered Elton John classic recordings, etc.,...these sound outstanding. With all this being said I wonder how this "Open Our Eyes" SACD will compare to it's RedBook counterpart?

I really especially love "Head To The Sky" as well, I'm curious if this is available on SACD as well? It shows "Out-Of-Stock":
https://audiofidelity.net/sites/defa...eSkyMockup.jpg

I wonder when they would get more stock?
The four channels in the quad mix map to L&R front and then L&R surrounds. There is no center channel nor LFE. Bass management will route bass to the subwoofer(s) as per your configuration. I think you might be able to use a listening mode to approximate the center channel.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #13113 of 13118 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Just got my copy of Katatonia: Fall of Hearts the 5.1 is Lossy on DVD-V but had no chance to evaluate it just yet.
Also Anathema: Distant Satellites, and "We are here because we're here". Just like the above both lossy and need more time to get a definitive opinion. Got some listening to do!
weekendtoy likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun

post #13114 of 13118 Old Today, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Picked up a few oldies...

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Mike Oldfield - Discovery
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Lauren White - At Last
Lang Lang - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No 3
Bob Marley - Legend

Good listening over the weekend!
Bill Mac likes this.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #13115 of 13118 Old Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Nice! Jim.
post #13116 of 13118 Old Today, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

A few questions for all of that are super organized with your collections...I have been using Sa-cd.net and HRaudio to catalog my music, however it does not have all the titles and am looking for a good solution.

1. Is there any software out there that you use to catalog your collection?

2. Is there any software that allows you to scan the bar code of the disc and automatically pull up the data?

I am avoiding using a spreadsheet out of laziness, however will go there if no solutions are available.

Thank you!

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #13117 of 13118 Old Today, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
A few questions for all of that are super organized with your collections...I have been using Sa-cd.net and HRaudio to catalog my music, however it does not have all the titles and am looking for a good solution.

1. Is there any software out there that you use to catalog your collection?

2. Is there any software that allows you to scan the bar code of the disc and automatically pull up the data?

I am avoiding using a spreadsheet out of laziness, however will go there if no solutions are available.

Thank you!
Try OrangeCD Catalog. It has a free trial period and if you decide to keep it, it's not very expensive. http://www.firetongue.com/cd-database.html
post #13118 of 13118 Old Today, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
Try OrangeCD Catalog. It has a free trial period and if you decide to keep it, it's not very expensive. http://www.firetongue.com/cd-database.html
Thanks, checked it out and looks like a windows only software program...it did lead me to another one https://www.collectorz.com/music that looks good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats