What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1404Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13111 of 13123 Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,165
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
cool! This is one of their best albums (the stuff I grew-up on ). I'm very curious how the 4.0 SACD QUAD format compares? Have yet to try one, but would like to experiment. I'm using a 5.1 configuration, wondering how this works (ie. 4.0 to 5.1)?

A lot of these older, classic, early-mid 1970's recordings (like "Open Our Eyes") yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital (CD) compared to most more current releases. You usually have to adjust volume maybe 4dB or 8dB higher than usual to achieve equal output listening level's. Some notable exceptions are the re-mastered Elton John classic recordings, etc.,...these sound outstanding. With all this being said I wonder how this "Open Our Eyes" SACD will compare to it's RedBook counterpart?

I really especially love "Head To The Sky" as well, I'm curious if this is available on SACD as well? It shows "Out-Of-Stock":
https://audiofidelity.net/sites/defa...eSkyMockup.jpg

I wonder when they would get more stock?
I have a 5.2 system and 4.0 quad discs sound excellent on my system. Of course quite a bit depends on the recording. I listening to the Jeff Beck Group AF 4.0 SACD last night and it sounded outstanding! Not sure what you mean by "early-mid 1970's recordings yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital" . I have numerous 1970's multichannel discs in 5.1 and 4.0 with no issues of "low-level output".

Both Open Your Eyes and Head to the Sky are readily available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TZILCWS...sacdinfocom-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13112 of 13123 Old 04-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
cool! This is one of their best albums (the stuff I grew-up on ). I'm very curious how the 4.0 SACD QUAD format compares? Have yet to try one, but would like to experiment. I'm using a 5.1 configuration, wondering how this works (ie. 4.0 to 5.1)?

A lot of these older, classic, early-mid 1970's recordings (like "Open Our Eyes") yield low-level output once re-mastered and converted to digital (CD) compared to most more current releases. You usually have to adjust volume maybe 4dB or 8dB higher than usual to achieve equal output listening level's. Some notable exceptions are the re-mastered Elton John classic recordings, etc.,...these sound outstanding. With all this being said I wonder how this "Open Our Eyes" SACD will compare to it's RedBook counterpart?

I really especially love "Head To The Sky" as well, I'm curious if this is available on SACD as well? It shows "Out-Of-Stock":
https://audiofidelity.net/sites/defa...eSkyMockup.jpg

I wonder when they would get more stock?
The four channels in the quad mix map to L&R front and then L&R surrounds. There is no center channel nor LFE. Bass management will route bass to the subwoofer(s) as per your configuration. I think you might be able to use a listening mode to approximate the center channel.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is offline  
post #13113 of 13123 Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Just got my copy of Katatonia: Fall of Hearts the 5.1 is Lossy on DVD-V but had no chance to evaluate it just yet.
Also Anathema: Distant Satellites, and "We are here because we're here". Just like the above both lossy and need more time to get a definitive opinion. Got some listening to do!
weekendtoy likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!


Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
thehun is online now  
 
post #13114 of 13123 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Picked up a few oldies...

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Mike Oldfield - Discovery
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Lauren White - At Last
Lang Lang - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No 3
Bob Marley - Legend

Good listening over the weekend!
Bill Mac likes this.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13115 of 13123 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Nice! Jim.
JA Fant is offline  
post #13116 of 13123 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
A few questions for all of that are super organized with your collections...I have been using Sa-cd.net and HRaudio to catalog my music, however it does not have all the titles and am looking for a good solution.

1. Is there any software out there that you use to catalog your collection?

2. Is there any software that allows you to scan the bar code of the disc and automatically pull up the data?

I am avoiding using a spreadsheet out of laziness, however will go there if no solutions are available.

Thank you!

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13117 of 13123 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spwace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Colfax, CA
Posts: 3,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
A few questions for all of that are super organized with your collections...I have been using Sa-cd.net and HRaudio to catalog my music, however it does not have all the titles and am looking for a good solution.

1. Is there any software out there that you use to catalog your collection?

2. Is there any software that allows you to scan the bar code of the disc and automatically pull up the data?

I am avoiding using a spreadsheet out of laziness, however will go there if no solutions are available.

Thank you!
Try OrangeCD Catalog. It has a free trial period and if you decide to keep it, it's not very expensive. http://www.firetongue.com/cd-database.html
spwace is offline  
post #13118 of 13123 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
Try OrangeCD Catalog. It has a free trial period and if you decide to keep it, it's not very expensive. http://www.firetongue.com/cd-database.html
Thanks, checked it out and looks like a windows only software program...it did lead me to another one https://www.collectorz.com/music that looks good.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13119 of 13123 Old Today, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
weekendtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I use Discogs because I'm cheap and it's free.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

weekendtoy is offline  
post #13120 of 13123 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 524
The only requirement is that it meets your needs. If one of those apps is free, why pay more?
pepar is offline  
post #13121 of 13123 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,464
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
Who started this "Exile" cult anyway? Thanks for your insights.
Exile cult following?
Hardly. Sheesh.
Maybe not your cup of tea, but one of the most well-regarded Stones albums.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #13122 of 13123 Old Today, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I use Discogs because I'm cheap and it's free.
I never considered Discogs, they probably have most every title out there as well!

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13123 of 13123 Old Today, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I use Discogs because I'm cheap and it's free.
I never considered Discogs, they probably have most every title out there as well!

Started entering the titles and so far so good, only one title not there out of 75 (Peter Gabriel, Blu-ray release of Still Growing Up). Definitely only going to use it for HR music as it would take too long to enter all of my discs

Thanks for the suggestion!

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off