What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1453Likes

post #13171 of 13182 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I took some time to listen to the AP mono recordings of "Cookin'" and "Steamin'" and I have to say I'm impressed: they sound dynamic and open rather than "boxy". It just isn't a good idea to sit in the sweet spot and obsess over the soundstage while listening to them. I certainly wouldn't buy them because they are mono: I prefer the sound of "Relaxin'" in stereo to these. The biggest problem I have with this period in the Miles Davis Quintet is Red Garland - and it isn't his fault. He was a genuine innovator and even used rootless chord voicings with his left hand before Bill Evans. The problem is that he isn't Bill Evans.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 13182 Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 45

I got this SACD, and the quality of the recording and dynamics is definitely superior on SACD as evident as soon you play the first 2 songs. Second song Mule has a deep bass guitar note throughout most of the song, that when listening through Spotify streaming was very bloated and flat sounding harsh bass. On SACD this is not a problem whatsoever as it's not boomy, but rather melodic, perfectly rounded, like a 3D sound coming from an actual instrument where you can tell where it begins, climaxes, and decays. I love it, great addition to my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Pearce and Bill Mac like this.
post #13173 of 13182 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
I got this SACD, and the quality of the recording and dynamics is definitely superior on SACD as evident as soon you play the first 2 songs. Second song Mule has a deep bass guitar note throughout most of the song, that when listening through Spotify streaming was very bloated and flat sounding harsh bass. On SACD this is not a problem whatsoever as it's not boomy, but rather melodic, perfectly rounded, like a 3D sound coming from an actual instrument where you can tell where it begins, climaxes, and decays. I love it, great addition to my collection!
I played the Midnight Blue APO SACD last week. It's an excellent SACD as are many of the other Blue Note APO SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I have the entire collection and it was money very well spent as some are now OOP.

Bill
michaellsv and Tornado Red like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

post #13174 of 13182 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Just bought:

Tom Petty - Live Anthology Deluxe Edition w/Blu-ray.

I bought this originally from Best Buy for $29 but ended up selling it unopened. I wished I'd kept it but paid about the same amount I sold the first one for. I should have bought 3-4 sets as the price was incredible.

Bill
Tornado Red likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.
post #13175 of 13182 Old Today, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
it's never safe to come here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I played the Midnight Blue APO SACD last week. It's an excellent SACD as are many of the other Blue Note APO SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I have the entire collection and it was money very well spent as some are now OOP.

Bill

I not only ordered "Midnight Blue" from Elusive Disc (15% off from $29.99) but this sent me on a reverie about jazz guitarists. I ended up buying "Unforgettable" - a Joe Pass solo CD I didn't have - and a Paul Desmond album, "Pure Desmond" with my favourite guitarist, Canadian Ed Bickert that I didn't know existed.

I often listen to clips on AllMusic before buying anything. Anyone else do this?

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95
post #13176 of 13182 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Bill

Well I discovered Kenny Burrell with the help of AVS forum and Spotify.... maybe it was your post I've seen

I find Spotify subscription very useful in discovering new artists and albums.

Next on my list?
Jimmy Smith caught my ear and attention.

Happy listening fellas!

post #13177 of 13182 Old Today, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Where are you'll buying your stuff from?

Thanks...

Importcds.com
acousticsounds.com

post #13178 of 13182 Old Today, 03:22 PM

Check out this virgin in my passenger seat! Makes me nervous to pop it

ematcion likes this.
post #13179 of 13182 Old Today, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
Check out this virgin in my passenger seat! Makes me nervous to pop it

I found 3 mint condition Thriller albums at 3 different thrift stores for $1-1.50. I was surprised. They look like someone just took the plastic wrap off them. I listened and had forgotten all the hit songs on that album.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk LSiM 707s l Polk LSiM 706c l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

Subwoofer Trim and Audyssey EQ setup guide
post #13180 of 13182 Old Today, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I found 3 mint condition Thriller albums at 3 different thrift stores for $1-1.50. I was surprised. They look like someone just took the plastic wrap off them. I listened and had forgotten all the hit songs on that album.

THREE for $3? That's a Jackpot if they are SACD.

I could barely find one copy that nobody wanted to open for something like 14 years that costed an arm and a leg.
If I knew that these things age like a bottle of Macallan I'd buy a suite-case of these at Best Buy when I was working there in 2003 exactly.

post #13181 of 13182 Old Today, 06:24 PM

Hopefully with all the Universal and Sony SACDs being released from Hong Kong Thriller will be added to the list. It'd even be better if a Thriller SACD was released with a 5.1 mix. Probably will never happen but it'd be real cool.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...series.543724/

Bill

post #13182 of 13182 Old Today, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Hopefully with all the Universal and Sony SACDs being released from Hong Kong Thriller will be added to the list. It'd even be better if a Thriller SACD was released with a 5.1 mix. Probably will never happen but it'd be real cool.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...series.543724/

Bill
This is from the SH forum a while back:

"The 5.1 surround mixes made for the "Thriller" album were done by Mick Guzauski in 2001. To date they have not been released. No word on if they ever will. The word is that the 5.1 mix of this album sounds amazing."

I'm guessing Sony is still sitting on it unless someone has heard otherwise.
pepar and Bill Mac like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page