What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1459Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #13171 of 13190 Unread 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim Pearce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I took some time to listen to the AP mono recordings of "Cookin'" and "Steamin'" and I have to say I'm impressed: they sound dynamic and open rather than "boxy". It just isn't a good idea to sit in the sweet spot and obsess over the soundstage while listening to them. I certainly wouldn't buy them because they are mono: I prefer the sound of "Relaxin'" in stereo to these. The biggest problem I have with this period in the Miles Davis Quintet is Red Garland - and it isn't his fault. He was a genuine innovator and even used rootless chord voicings with his left hand before Bill Evans. The problem is that he isn't Bill Evans.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95
Jim Pearce is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13172 of 13190 Unread 05-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47


I got this SACD, and the quality of the recording and dynamics is definitely superior on SACD as evident as soon you play the first 2 songs. Second song Mule has a deep bass guitar note throughout most of the song, that when listening through Spotify streaming was very bloated and flat sounding harsh bass. On SACD this is not a problem whatsoever as it's not boomy, but rather melodic, perfectly rounded, like a 3D sound coming from an actual instrument where you can tell where it begins, climaxes, and decays. I love it, great addition to my collection!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Pearce, Bill Mac and hernanu like this.
michaellsv is offline  
post #13173 of 13190 Unread 05-21-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
I got this SACD, and the quality of the recording and dynamics is definitely superior on SACD as evident as soon you play the first 2 songs. Second song Mule has a deep bass guitar note throughout most of the song, that when listening through Spotify streaming was very bloated and flat sounding harsh bass. On SACD this is not a problem whatsoever as it's not boomy, but rather melodic, perfectly rounded, like a 3D sound coming from an actual instrument where you can tell where it begins, climaxes, and decays. I love it, great addition to my collection!
I played the Midnight Blue APO SACD last week. It's an excellent SACD as are many of the other Blue Note APO SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I have the entire collection and it was money very well spent as some are now OOP.

Bill
michaellsv and Tornado Red like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
 
post #13174 of 13190 Unread 05-21-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Just bought:

Tom Petty - Live Anthology Deluxe Edition w/Blu-ray.

I bought this originally from Best Buy for $29 but ended up selling it unopened. I wished I'd kept it but paid about the same amount I sold the first one for. I should have bought 3-4 sets as the price was incredible.

Bill
Tornado Red likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 05-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #13175 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Jim Pearce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Grimsby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 84
it's never safe to come here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I played the Midnight Blue APO SACD last week. It's an excellent SACD as are many of the other Blue Note APO SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I have the entire collection and it was money very well spent as some are now OOP.

Bill

I not only ordered "Midnight Blue" from Elusive Disc (15% off from $29.99) but this sent me on a reverie about jazz guitarists. I ended up buying "Unforgettable" - a Joe Pass solo CD I didn't have - and a Paul Desmond album, "Pure Desmond" with my favourite guitarist, Canadian Ed Bickert that I didn't know existed.


I often listen to clips on AllMusic before buying anything. Anyone else do this?

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95
Jim Pearce is online now  
post #13176 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I played the Midnight Blue APO SACD last week. It's an excellent SACD as are many of the other Blue Note APO SACDs mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I have the entire collection and it was money very well spent as some are now OOP.

Bill


Well I discovered Kenny Burrell with the help of AVS forum and Spotify.... maybe it was your post I've seen

I find Spotify subscription very useful in discovering new artists and albums.

Next on my list?
Jimmy Smith caught my ear and attention.

Happy listening fellas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13177 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue



Where are you'll buying your stuff from?



Thanks...


Importcds.com
acousticsounds.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13178 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Check out this virgin in my passenger seat! Makes me nervous to pop it



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ematcion and decibels like this.
michaellsv is offline  
post #13179 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Methodical_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
Check out this virgin in my passenger seat! Makes me nervous to pop it



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found 3 mint condition Thriller albums at 3 different thrift stores for $1-1.50. I was surprised. They look like someone just took the plastic wrap off them. I listened and had forgotten all the hit songs on that album.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk LSiM 707s l Polk LSiM 706c l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

Subwoofer Trim and Audyssey EQ setup guide
Methodical_1 is online now  
post #13180 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I found 3 mint condition Thriller albums at 3 different thrift stores for $1-1.50. I was surprised. They look like someone just took the plastic wrap off them. I listened and had forgotten all the hit songs on that album.

THREE for $3? That's a Jackpot if they are SACD.

I could barely find one copy that nobody wanted to open for something like 14 years that costed an arm and a leg.
If I knew that these things age like a bottle of Macallan I'd buy a suite-case of these at Best Buy when I was working there in 2003 exactly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13181 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Hopefully with all the Universal and Sony SACDs being released from Hong Kong Thriller will be added to the list. It'd even be better if a Thriller SACD was released with a 5.1 mix. Probably will never happen but it'd be real cool.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...series.543724/

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #13182 of 13190 Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tornado Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Hopefully with all the Universal and Sony SACDs being released from Hong Kong Thriller will be added to the list. It'd even be better if a Thriller SACD was released with a 5.1 mix. Probably will never happen but it'd be real cool.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...series.543724/

Bill
This is from the SH forum a while back:

"The 5.1 surround mixes made for the "Thriller" album were done by Mick Guzauski in 2001. To date they have not been released. No word on if they ever will. The word is that the 5.1 mix of this album sounds amazing."

I'm guessing Sony is still sitting on it unless someone has heard otherwise.
pepar, Bill Mac and michaellsv like this.
Tornado Red is online now  
post #13183 of 13190 Unread Today, 04:53 AM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post



I'm guessing Sony is still sitting on it unless someone has heard otherwise.

I wish SONY would figure out what's it's doing, and get back to money making days, so many lost opportunities on the table...



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13184 of 13190 Unread Today, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
I wish SONY would figure out what's it's doing, and get back to money making days, so many lost opportunities on the table...
I'm sure Sony wants to be making money. But producing SACDs that most likely will not be huge sellers due to the niche market of SACD sales is probably not at the top of Sony's to do list IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #13185 of 13190 Unread Today, 05:37 AM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I'm sure Sony wants to be making money. But producing SACDs that most likely will not be huge sellers due to the niche market of SACD sales is probably not at the top of Sony's to do list IMO.

Bill


Well I think a big contributor to this "niche" market being "niche" is the shortage of supply.

I never paid more than $15 for a CD. But SACD started charging more first as a premium for Hybrid double layer capabilities, but then due to being OOP. Single layers SACD should not cost more then $20.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13186 of 13190 Unread Today, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Is the Patricia Barber SACD new?
It is not new, however is in mint condition.
Tornado Red likes this.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is online now  
post #13187 of 13190 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,240
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Is the Patricia Barber SACD new?
The Patricia Barber "A Distortion of Love" MOFI SACD came out in 2014. It's a great album but I prefer the earlier SACDs from MFSL.

https://www.mofi.com/product_p/udsacd2100.htm
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/music/pa..._love_sacd.htm
Tornado Red likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D/205, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #13188 of 13190 Unread Today, 04:57 PM
Member
 
michaellsv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
This is from the SH forum a while back:



"The 5.1 surround mixes made for the "Thriller" album were done by Mick Guzauski in 2001. To date they have not been released. No word on if they ever will. The word is that the 5.1 mix of this album sounds amazing."



I'm guessing Sony is still sitting on it unless someone has heard otherwise.


OMG, after what I just heard for the first time on my stereo SACD, I would love to hear Michael in 5.1, who wouldn't?

I was skeptical if I should pay so much for SACD or any CD, I didn't know if the quality difference was enough to justify the price.
I have to tell you, I was just blown away. I never heard MJ like this. Night and day difference between CD (in which I did experience harshness) but unlike CD the sound is sooo much more on a "warmer" side rather then on "sterile-harsh, and clipping" side.

I have to listen again to my lossless copy on USB, I thought the sound was noticeably different, but I might be mistaken.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michaellsv is offline  
post #13189 of 13190 Unread Today, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tornado Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellsv View Post
OMG, after what I just heard for the first time on my stereo SACD, I would love to hear Michael in 5.1, who wouldn't?

I was skeptical if I should pay so much for SACD or any CD, I didn't know if the quality difference was enough to justify the price.
I have to tell you, I was just blown away. I never heard MJ like this. Night and day difference between CD (in which I did experience harshness) but unlike CD the sound is sooo much more on a "warmer" side rather then on "sterile-harsh, and clipping" side.

I have to listen again to my lossless copy on USB, I thought the sound was noticeably different, but I might be mistaken.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I received MJs "Moonwalker" blu ray today. I know it's been out awhile, but I picked it up for the few music videos done in 5.1. Wow, I was really impressed with 'Smooth Criminal' and 'Speed Demon', considering this is circa 1988. I bet Thriller and Bad would sound awesome in 5.1. Anybody got an uncle at Sony they can call?
Tornado Red is online now  
post #13190 of 13190 Unread Today, 06:10 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 26,216
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 536
There's more than enough stuff happening in an MJ song to spread around five channels. There's probably enough for 7, too, or ... 11 ... or maybe even 15.
Tornado Red likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
pepar is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off