What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 443 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1516Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13261 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Thanks. Wow, just eight MC SACDs and only one not classical (Cowboy Junkies which I already have).

I just got the Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me" SACD import from Japan (only $37 from Amazon Japan and got it in 3 days!) because sa-cd.net shows it is MC (discog doesn't indicate stereo or MC). When I listen to it, it seems like a surround mix (although nothing from the sub so appears to be a 5.0 mix to me) with different instruments/vocals on different speakers, like mostly vocals from center, but my Oppo 103 shows "stereo."

Just curious because it sounds like surround but doesn't indicate 5.1 on my Oppo which has never been wrong before. I guess the disc could have an error in the authoring or something so it shows stereo when it's MC.
impetigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13262 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Thanks. Wow, just eight MC SACDs and only one not classical (Cowboy Junkies which I already have).

I just got the Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me" SACD import from Japan (only $37 from Amazon Japan and got it in 3 days!) because sa-cd.net shows it is MC (discog doesn't indicate stereo or MC). When I listen to it, it seems like a surround mix (although nothing from the sub so appears to be a 5.0 mix to me) with different instruments/vocals on different speakers, like mostly vocals from center, but my Oppo 103 shows "stereo."

Just curious because it sounds like surround but doesn't indicate 5.1 on my Oppo which has never been wrong before. I guess the disc could have an error in the authoring or something so it shows stereo when it's MC.
WEA Japan ‎– WPCR-14172 (2011): Hybrid Stereo/Multichannel.
Warner Bros. Records (Japan) ‎– WPCR 17681 (2017): Hybrid Stereo.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13263 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
WEA Japan ‎– WPCR-14172 (2011): Hybrid Stereo/Multichannel.
Warner Bros. Records (Japan) ‎– WPCR 17681 (2017): Hybrid Stereo.
Darn, I guess I got the 2017 stereo SACD, but it doesn't sound like stereo. Vocals mostly from center channel, less from L and R so it can't be stereo I don't think, but then again the listing shows stereo and my Oppo does too. Bizarre...
impetigo is offline  
 
post #13264 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Darn, I guess I got the 2017 stereo SACD, but it doesn't sound like stereo. Vocals mostly from center channel, less from L and R so it can't be stereo I don't think, but then again the listing shows stereo and my Oppo does too. Bizarre...
If you paid $37, then you bought the stereo release. On the amazon japan website, it's listed for ¥ 3,240 (~$29). The multichannel release costs ¥ 7,980 (~$72).

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13265 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 13,284
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Yeah, thanks for the link as I had totally forgotten about that site even though I bought a bunch of SACDs (all my Depeche Mode) there a decade ago.

I noticed they have Cars Heartbeat City, one of my 80s favs. It's MoFi so I assume it's not MC, but it's not on sa-cd.net nor the MoFi website so I'm not 100% about that. I only buy MC so I would like to find out. Anyone have this one and can confirm it's stereo and/or MC?

Thanks!
sa-cd.net has been shutdown and the new site is HRAudio.net. I believe it's run by the same group as sa-cd.net. It's linked in my signature.

Hearbeat City MOFI SACD listing http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11635

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #13266 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
If you paid $37, then you bought the stereo release. On the amazon japan website, it's listed for ¥ 3,240 (~$29). The multichannel release costs ¥ 7,980 (~$72).
Yep. Sucks when you buy the wrong SACD but it's so easy to do with multiple releases, some stereo and some MC. I've done this with Billy Joel 52nd Street and Miles Davis Kind of Blue also. I would get the MC but they don't ship to the US. Exhorbitant prices on ebay ($140).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
sa-cd.net has been shutdown and the new site is HRAudio.net. I believe it's run by the same group as sa-cd.net. It's linked in my signature.

Hearbeat City MOFI SACD listing http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11635

Bill
Ah, thanks. I didn't know sa-cd.net is basically defunct now.
impetigo is offline  
post #13267 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Yep. Sucks when you buy the wrong SACD but it's so easy to do with multiple releases, some stereo and some MC. I've done this with Billy Joel 52nd Street and Miles Davis Kind of Blue also. I would get the MC but they don't ship to the US. Exhorbitant prices on ebay ($140).
I feel your pain. It definitely requires performing due diligence. Prior to making a purchase, I recommend you check here to validate the release you're interested in purchasing. Our little group of posters will be glad to help.
Bill Mac likes this.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13268 of 13277 Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tornado Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Darn, I guess I got the 2017 stereo SACD, but it doesn't sound like stereo. Vocals mostly from center channel, less from L and R so it can't be stereo I don't think, but then again the listing shows stereo and my Oppo does too. Bizarre...
Yes, I believe the WEA offering is the quad mix. The only MC SACD of the Doobies released AFAIK. But they are sitting on quads of What Were Once Vices, Stampede, and Toulouse Street. It'd be nice if those were released before I croak Also, if you're interested in Heartbeat City (last year's MoFi release), don't let the lack of MC deter you. I buy almost exclusively MC too, but this is a worthy exception, it's absolutely fantastic. That one and 'The Cars', can't go wrong with either/both.
Bill Mac and decibels like this.
Tornado Red is offline  
post #13269 of 13277 Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I feel your pain. It definitely requires performing due diligence. Prior to making a purchase, I recommend you check here to validate the release you're interested in purchasing. Our little group of posters will be glad to help.
Yep, will have to definitely be more careful in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Yes, I believe the WEA offering is the quad mix. The only MC SACD of the Doobies released AFAIK. But they are sitting on quads of What Were Once Vices, Stampede, and Toulouse Street. It'd be nice if those were released before I croak Also, if you're interested in Heartbeat City (last year's MoFi release), don't let the lack of MC deter you. I buy almost exclusively MC too, but this is a worthy exception, it's absolutely fantastic. That one and 'The Cars', can't go wrong with either/both.
That's an interesting idea about the quad mix. It shows as "stereo" on my Oppo so I don't know how to reconcile that with the audio from the speakers, where it seems the vocals are higher in the center, and some L and R differences too. I didn't have any faux surround processing being done by my AVR. But if the Oppo shows "stereo" then doesn't that mean it's detecting/receiving just two channels of audio that are being played over the 5 speakers (nothing from the sub)? Maybe I'll post a separate thread to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing with this disc.

I'm almost tempted to get the stereo SACD of Heartbeat City after your endorsement. I don't think my hearing is good enough at this point (too many concerts/loud music) to really appreciate higher sonic qualities and so I probably won't get it unless I find it really cheap somewhere.
impetigo is offline  
post #13270 of 13277 Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Yep, will have to definitely be more careful in the future.



That's an interesting idea about the quad mix. It shows as "stereo" on my Oppo so I don't know how to reconcile that with the audio from the speakers, where it seems the vocals are higher in the center, and some L and R differences too. I didn't have any faux surround processing being done by my AVR. But if the Oppo shows "stereo" then doesn't that mean it's detecting/receiving just two channels of audio that are being played over the 5 speakers (nothing from the sub)? Maybe I'll post a separate thread to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing with this disc.

I'm almost tempted to get the stereo SACD of Heartbeat City after your endorsement. I don't think my hearing is good enough at this point (too many concerts/loud music) to really appreciate higher sonic qualities and so I probably won't get it unless I find it really cheap somewhere.
Your copy of "The Captain and Me" is stereo as reported by your Oppo. Check your sound mode setting on your Yamaha again. Perhaps it's set for some upmixing sound mode (i.e., some Yamaha DSP effect, or DSU, or DTS Neural:X).

If it were a quad recording, then sound should come from your LF, RF, LR, RR speakers only. No center, no sub.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

Last edited by kokishin; 06-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.
kokishin is offline  
post #13271 of 13277 Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Yep, will have to definitely be more careful in the future.



That's an interesting idea about the quad mix. It shows as "stereo" on my Oppo so I don't know how to reconcile that with the audio from the speakers, where it seems the vocals are higher in the center, and some L and R differences too. I didn't have any faux surround processing being done by my AVR. But if the Oppo shows "stereo" then doesn't that mean it's detecting/receiving just two channels of audio that are being played over the 5 speakers (nothing from the sub)? Maybe I'll post a separate thread to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing with this disc.

I'm almost tempted to get the stereo SACD of Heartbeat City after your endorsement. I don't think my hearing is good enough at this point (too many concerts/loud music) to really appreciate higher sonic qualities and so I probably won't get it unless I find it really cheap somewhere.
I reached out to a buddy of mine who has both the DVD-A and SACD multichannel copies of "The Captain and Me". He checked and they both have true 5.1 mixes.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13272 of 13277 Old 06-21-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
@impetigo

Wowza! I just realized you started this thread on 9-13-2007!

Delayed thanks on starting this great thread!
Toe, pepar and Bill Mac like this.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13273 of 13277 Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Your copy of "The Captain and Me" is stereo as reported by your Oppo. Check your sound mode setting on your Yamaha again. Perhaps it's set for some upmixing sound mode (i.e., some Yamaha DSP effect, or DSU, or DTS Neural:X).

If it were a quad recording, then sound should come from your LF, RF, LR, RR speakers only. No center, no sub.
Thanks, I guess that must be it. I'll have to check the settings but I'm sure you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I reached out to a buddy of mine who has both the DVD-A and SACD multichannel copies of "The Captain and Me". He checked and they both have true 5.1 mixes.
Cool, thanks. I'll have to keep a look out for the MC SACD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
@impetigo

Wowza! I just realized you started this thread on 9-13-2007!

Delayed thanks on starting this great thread!
It's almost been a decade now... crazy! I started my home theater and SACD craze in 2007 all thanks to my v1.0 PS3 that could play blu-ray and SACD. Sadly, my collection has only about doubled since then, of course that's mostly due to the lack of new releases. Including classical I have probably have almost 100 discs, mostly SACD and a couple BD now. No DVD-A for some reason. Seems like SACD is mostly dead now (not counting classical) but at least blu-ray is keeping HR/MC alive.
impetigo is offline  
post #13274 of 13277 Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 AM
Member
 
IronWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Darn, I guess I got the 2017 stereo SACD, but it doesn't sound like stereo. Vocals mostly from center channel, less from L and R so it can't be stereo I don't think, but then again the listing shows stereo and my Oppo does too. Bizarre...


Besides this site I also check on the quadraphonicquad forum since multichannel music is their primary focus. They've saved me a bundle in accident purchases. It's a smaller community than this but I recognize several members on both. They also have a handy yearly updated ranking of multichannel releases (a little tricky to find) based on a decade+ of forum votes. Caveat emptor, of course.


Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
IronWaffle is offline  
post #13275 of 13277 Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,465
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Thanks, I guess that must be it. I'll have to check the settings but I'm sure you're right.



Cool, thanks. I'll have to keep a look out for the MC SACD.



It's almost been a decade now... crazy! I started my home theater and SACD craze in 2007 all thanks to my v1.0 PS3 that could play blu-ray and SACD. Sadly, my collection has only about doubled since then, of course that's mostly due to the lack of new releases. Including classical I have probably have almost 100 discs, mostly SACD and a couple BD now. No DVD-A for some reason. Seems like SACD is mostly dead now (not counting classical) but at least blu-ray is keeping HR/MC alive.
I listened to the 5.1 DVD-A of "The Captain and Me". Great mix and use of surround channels. Excellent clarity.

I did some research. The 5.1 SACD of "The Captain and Me" is priced fairly high. HOWEVER, I found a reasonable price (IMO) on the 5.1 DVD-A version. If you really want it, I recommend you grab it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOBIE-BROS-...0AAOSw3h1ZQvw~

Note to others: Please give @impetigo a chance to respond. If he declines to purchase it, then have at it.
Bill Mac likes this.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
kokishin is offline  
post #13276 of 13277 Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I listened to the 5.1 DVD-A of "The Captain and Me". Great mix and use of surround channels. Excellent clarity.

I did some research. The 5.1 SACD of "The Captain and Me" is priced fairly high. HOWEVER, I found a reasonable price (IMO) on the 5.1 DVD-A version. If you really want it, I recommend you grab it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOBIE-BROS-...0AAOSw3h1ZQvw~

Note to others: Please give @impetigo a chance to respond. If he declines to purchase it, then have at it.
Thanks a lot! I ended up purchasing it since a reasonably priced SACD is going to be hard to find. It'll also be my first DVD-A. I'm a bit nervous about the condition but I've found that SACD usually are taken care of better than regular CDs so I'm hopeful.
Bill Mac likes this.
impetigo is offline  
post #13277 of 13277 Old Today, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Noticed that Spirit has a SACD coming out 7/7. The Family that Plays Together. I'll probably get it although, I'd much rather have Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus released on SACD.
glangford is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Surround Music Formats



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off