What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 449 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1636Likes

post #13441 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hi all, I've had a bit of a challenge of finding where I fit in here at AVS without unintentionally violating the off topic policies. Anyway, is this a good place to ask about SACD? I have both a sony BDP-S6700 and UBP-X800 connected to 5.1 sound bars and am curious about the format.

The sound bars have left center right a wireless sub and the rear speakers. Just wondering if I would be able to benefit from surround music formats with these setups.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13442 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Was Billy in SoCal or Larry in NYC back in those days?
Another query- did Larry play lead on 'Captain Jack"?
Three people are credited with playing guitar on the album, and I 'd couldn't uncover any individual song credits. I just re-listened to the song and nothing says Larry Carlton to me. The "mandolin-y" guitar I hear is more Dean Parks. But, hey, you don't get to be an LA studio cat if you aren't versatile.

Jeff
JA Fant likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #13443 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 141
well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Hi all, I've had a bit of a challenge of finding where I fit in here at AVS without unintentionally violating the off topic policies. Anyway, is this a good place to ask about SACD? I have both a sony BDP-S6700 and UBP-X800 connected to 5.1 sound bars and am curious about the format.

The sound bars have left center right a wireless sub and the rear speakers. Just wondering if I would be able to benefit from surround music formats with these setups.

Thanks.

SACD will only output over HDMI, and if you're using ARC your TV might only support 2.0 PCM. Your soundbar(s) may not support SACD - especially in 5.1- in which case you may be able to convert to 5.1 PCM in the player (But not in the BDP-S6700 if I recall correctly.). Blu-ray audio surround, on the other hand, should work (to a greater or lesser extent) with both of your rigs.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7

Last edited by Jim Pearce; Yesterday at 09:48 AM.

post #13444 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
SACD will only output over HDMI, and if you're using ARC your TV might only support 2.0 PCM. Your soundbar(s) may not support SACD - especially in 5.1- in which case you may be able to convert to 5.1 PCM in the player.
Both Players have a direct HDMI connection to the sound bar, so that's not an issue. ARC or optical is used for the streaming devices that don't support the HD audio codecs.. As far as the UBP-X800, I know it will output LPCM 5.1. As far as the BDP-S6700 it will only output 2 channels PCM even over HDMI.

I think what I would like to do is download some multi channel audio samples for free before investing in an SACD, does anyone know where I can get some samples to put on a flash drive ? It would be nice to try the format with my setup before putting too much money into it, in case it doesn't work like I hope it will.
post #13445 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Both Players have a direct HDMI connection to the sound bar, so that's not an issue. ARC or optical is used for the streaming devices that don't support the HD audio codecs.. As far as the UBP-X800, I know it will output LPCM 5.1. As far as the BDP-S6700 it will only output 2 channels PCM even over HDMI.

I think what I would like to do is download some multi channel audio samples for free before investing in an SACD, does anyone know where I can get some samples to put on a flash drive ? It would be nice to try the format with my setup before putting too much money into it, in case it doesn't work like I hope it will.
http://www.2l.no/hires/

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #13446 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Funny that you mentioned that site, It's what google gave me and I just downloaded a Motzart DSD. They also have DVD, and the UBP can play DVD audio discs, is that the format 5.1 music would come in on a DVD?
post #13447 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

Can you play multi-channel DSD files? If so, this would be a free way to try multi-channel playback through your souundbar.

We're honored to partner up with NativeDSD to provide six curated DSD tracks to OPPO Digital customers and fans, for absolutely free! Just visit nativedsd.com/oppo and enter OPPOLIKESDSD during checkout to get the entire sampler absolutely free! "

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd....po-dsd-sampler

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #13448 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Can you play multi-channel DSD files? If so, this would be a free way to try multi-channel playback through your souundbar.

We're honored to partner up with NativeDSD to provide six curated DSD tracks to OPPO Digital customers and fans, for absolutely free! Just visit nativedsd.com/oppo and enter OPPOLIKESDSD during checkout to get the entire sampler absolutely free! "

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd....po-dsd-sampler
Thanks for your feedback, I am able to play Multi channel FLAC from USB on the players, I have confirmed that with Sony to get DSD Multi, it has to be on a physical disc. So from USB it's only stereo. The good news is, If I buy a Super Audio CD, it will work correctly. So, while I didn't get DSD Multi from USB, I know that I won't be making a wasted investment to try at least one disc. Thanks again.
post #13449 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, got a couple files from the site listed above Put the Motzart DSD file on a flash drvie, and the Player (s) plays it and identifies it as DSD, but am not getting music from the rear speakers, only stereo. I tried with both bitstream, and PCM, how do I know if I'm hearing the file correctly, or if something isn't setup right ? I haven't had much experience with surround music and really just wanted to try it since I have players that support it now and a multi channel audio system. I am trying a couple more files to see if there is a difference.

UPDATE: Apparently the sound bar does support multi channel music, as well as the player. However I'm getting 5.1 with the FLAC version and not the DSD version. I wonder if Sony players require DSD to be on disc to play in surround, and off USB only gives stereo. I'll have to check into this. Thanks again.
I loaded 2L-106_mch_DSD-2822k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf and 2L-106_mch_PCM-96k_MAGNIFICAT_04.flac onto a flash dirve and played them on my Oppo 103 and Denon 6200. Both played 5.1 with the 6200 indicating MCH and showing the FL, FR, C, SL, SR, LFE speakers active The 6200 indicated DSD when playing the dsf file and PCM when playing the flac file. MAGNIFICAT sounded great in either format.

My signature:

post #13450 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I loaded 2L-106_mch_DSD-2822k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf and 2L-106_mch_PCM-96k_MAGNIFICAT_04.flac onto a flash dirve and played them on my Oppo 103 and Denon 6200. Both played 5.1 with the 6200 indicating MCH and showing the FL, FR, C, SL, SR, LFE speakers active The 6200 indicated DSD when playing the dsf file and PCM when playing the flac file. MAGNIFICAT sounded great in either format.
Thanks for testing, check my last post above, Sony will only play multi channel DSD from a disc, not USB, but I did get the 5.1 Flac to play and it passed as LPCM 5.1. So, I will be able to play DSD on my Sony players If I purchase a disc, but not as files. According to the Sony thread for one of my players, this is just how they chose to support DSD in full.

The two Players from Sony are the BDP-S6700 (standard BD Player with SACD support), and UBP-X800 (UHD player, with SACD, and DVD Audio support). I never got into the Opo group because for the most part it would be overkill for me. I'm just learning about these formats now, because it's the first time in years that I've had a 5.1 setup so it's only been worth exploring recently.

Last edited by MacinMan; Yesterday at 12:20 PM.
post #13451 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for testing, check my last post above, Sony will only play multi channel DSD from a disc, not USB, but I did get the 5.1 Flac to play and it passed as LPCM 5.1. So, I will be able to play DSD on my Sony players If I purchase a disc, but not as files. According to the Sony thread for one of my players, this is just how they chose to support DSD in full.
How about across the network? I have all my MCH and stereo tunes ripped to either dsf or flac as appropriate which I play across my home LAN via the 103. The other day I tried to order a SACD which is OOP. But I was able to order the MCH DL and play it across my network. Posted here: Listening To Now In Surround

My signature:

post #13452 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about across the network? I have all my MCH and stereo tunes ripped to either dsf or flac as appropriate which I play across my home LAN via the 103. The other day I tried to order a SACD which is OOP. But I was able to order the MCH DL and play it across my network. Posted here: Listening To Now In Surround
I'll try with Plex or Serviio to see if network playback works, however in the Sony player's settings DSD Multi is only an option under SACD settings, not any kind of media playback.
post #13453 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll try with Plex or Serviio to see if network playback works, however in the Sony player's settings DSD Multi is only an option under SACD settings, not any kind of media playback.
I typically use Serviio because it has a random music playback feature I like. The 103 also supports SMB which I use to access specific folders which I intentionally don't allow access with Serviio.

My signature:

post #13454 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I typically use Serviio because it has a random music playback feature I like. The 103 also supports SMB which I use to access specific folders which I intentionally don't allow access with Serviio.
Well just tried it, and the file was not picked up by either server on the player. Just tried the FLAC version on the other player, and both play in full surround. While I like classical was going to look at Amazon to see if they have any music by John Denver in Super Audio CD format. I saw something years back, but haven't checked again since. I'll Post again when I get a physical disc, and let everyone know how that experience is.

One alternative I have right now though, is I own Disney's Fantasia, and Fantasia 2000 on blu-ray. I haven't played those all the way through on the surround system, but for classical at least, that's probably going to be the same experience as SACD, since it's in DTS HD.

Last edited by MacinMan; Yesterday at 12:52 PM.
post #13455 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Three people are credited with playing guitar on the album, and I 'd couldn't uncover any individual song credits. I just re-listened to the song and nothing says Larry Carlton to me. The "mandolin-y" guitar I hear is more Dean Parks. But, hey, you don't get to be an LA studio cat if you aren't versatile.

Jeff
Many Thanks! Jeff
Maybe some day it will all be revealed.
post #13456 of 13456 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Many Thanks! Jeff