What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? - Page 451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1701Likes

post #13501 of 13526 Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
I play mine a lot, I found it to be very well recorded and I like the music better than Hypnotic Eye. Thought it was OOP, did you have a hard time tracking down a copy Bill?
Bill,

Came across a copy of the Mojo Blu-ray for $39 in mint condition. I did a little research and it's definitely OOP with average sold listings on eBay for around $55. I don't have Mojo in any format, so I'm looking forward to listening to it. Glad to see your positive thoughts !

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 13526 Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Bill,

Came across a copy of the Mojo Blu-ray for $39 in mint condition. I did a little research and it's definitely OOP with average sold listings on eBay for around $55. I don't have Mojo in any format, so I'm looking forward to listening to it. Glad to see your positive thoughts !

Bill
Looking forward to your thoughts once it arrives, hope you enjoy it!
Bill Mac likes this.
post #13503 of 13526 Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts once it arrives, hope you enjoy it!
Will post my thoughts for sure. Thanks !

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

post #13504 of 13526 Old 09-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Just bought off E-Bay. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Then and Now DVD Audio....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynyrd .jpg (349.2 KB, 11 views)

In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......
post #13505 of 13526 Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Received the Alan Parsons Live in Colombia Bluray disc today, look forward to giving it a spin tomorrow night!

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #13506 of 13526 Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well I gave the Alan Parsons disc a go tonight and was not too impressed with the mix or the sound...anyone else feel the same way about this disc? Is the mix at fault or was the original not good either?

Preet

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
post #13507 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Well, “live” is frequently not as good as a studio recording from an audiophile perspective. There just isn’t the degree of control with live that there is with studio. In large part, miking isn’t as good and isolation, of the lack thereof, is a problem. Better venues and more attention to details can help immensely.

From the standpoint of someone who is an enthusiast of the artist, a quality live performance can more than compensate for any weaknesses in recording/mixing.

In the specific case of the AP title you cite, he is up against a legendary recording engineer and producer, and legendary supporting artists, i.e. The Alan Parsons Project. Vocalists like Alan Clarke, Colin Blunstone, David Pack and Gary Brooker are not going to be touring with him. Sorry for throwing shade on him as he is one of my all time favorite. I once drove from York, PA, to Denver, CO ... 24 hours of driving. Did you know that there is more than 12 hours worth of APP music? I listened to them all in chronological order. It was a blast; I sang every song.

Jeff
decibels likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; Yesterday at 03:29 AM.
post #13508 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
As someone who plays guitar and piano as a hobby, as much as I enjoy listening to a great studio sound, I prefer to WATCH a good live musical performance.

I finally got to watch my 'Zappa Plays Zappa' DVD I bought 2 weeks ago, and I was floored. Would I listen to just the audio? Probably not. But I cannot wait to watch the DVD again.
post #13509 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Just bought:

The Doors - The Singles 2CD/1 Blu-ray set (with quad mix).

I have the AF The Best of the Doors SACD which also has the 1973 quad mix. When I have the time I'm going to compare the quad mixes off of both discs to see if there are any SQ differences.

Bill

post #13510 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just bought:

I have the AF The Best of the Doors SACD which also has the 1973 quad mix. When I have the time I'm going to compare the quad mixes off of both discs to see if there are any SQ differences.

Bill
I have this on order as well, released up here on Sep 29...will be good to do some comparisons and hear your thoughts as well Bill!

Preet

post #13511 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Just bought:

Bill
Bill,
I would be very interested in your opinion on the SQ differences (if any) between the Blu-Ray and the AF Best of the Doors SACD.
As much as I like the Doors I already have the DVD-A Perception Box Set and AF Best of the Doors SACD, so I have been holding off on this Blu-Ray.
If it's sound quality measures up then most likely I'll pull the trigger.
IronWaffle likes this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 THX FLW-L-R -C-FRW Mains on ST-1 titling stands - M&K B1600 Height speakers - 2x M&K MX-350 THX Mk II Subs - M&K SS-500 THX Dipole Surround speakers - M&K SW-85 surround back speakers
Denon AVR 4810CI - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Oppo BDP-103 Universal Blu-ray Player - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB My Partial SACD Collection
post #13512 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Wondering if we will see the Blu ray discs on their own for ELP?

https://burningshed.com/emerson-lake...emerson%20lake
Bill Mac and CygnusX2112 like this.

Preet

post #13513 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I have this on order as well, released up here on Sep 29...will be good to do some comparisons and hear your thoughts as well Bill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
Bill,
I would be very interested in your opinion on the SQ differences (if any) between the Blu-Ray and the AF Best of the Doors SACD.
As much as I like the Doors I already have the DVD-A Perception Box Set and AF Best of the Doors SACD, so I have been holding off on this Blu-Ray.
If it's sound quality measures up then most likely I'll pull the trigger.
I hope to have some time tonight to compare The Singles quad mixes. I have an Oppo 103 and 105D in the same rack so doing the comparison is as simple as switching HDMI inputs. The only challenge will be if there are substantial volume differences but that can be dealt with. Will definitely post my thoughts later tonight.

Bill
IronWaffle likes this.

post #13514 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Just bought:

Bill

From what I've read the quad mix should be the same but it will be interesting to hear some real world reviews.

For surround I listen to the 5.1 AF SACD's or the DVD-A's from the box set. The real star of the show on the 'Best Of' SACD is the stereo layer mastered by Mr. Hoffman.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #13515 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 8881

decibels likes this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening to" blog.

Last edited by eljr; Yesterday at 02:13 PM.
post #13516 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
From what I've read the quad mix should be the same but it will be interesting to hear some real world reviews.

For surround I listen to the 5.1 AF SACD's or the DVD-A's from the box set. The real star of the show on the 'Best Of' SACD is the stereo layer mastered by Mr. Hoffman.
The AF SACD and the Blu-ray have the same quad mix from 1973 by Paul Rothchild. The difference between the two versions could be that Steve Hoffman also mastered the quad mix on the AF SACD as well as the stereo layer. In a thread from SH started by Steve Hoffman he posts "I mastered both the stereo version and the quadraphonic version with Stephen Marsh and it was really a blast". I tend to doubt that the quad mix on The Singles Blu-ray has the mastering by Steve Hoffman. In The Singles liner notes it doesn't mention anything about the quad mastering. The only mention of the Blu-ray is "Authoring by Craig Anderson at Craigman Digital". There is mention of "Remastering by Bruce Botnick" but that could just be for the two CDs not the Blu-ray.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...tering.428601/

Bill

post #13517 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

I just spent about two hours comparing The Best of the Doors quad mixes from the AF SACD and The Singles Blu-ray. One of the first things that stands out is that the Blu-ray is about 5-6 dB louder than the SACD. So when changing HDMI inputs on my XMC-1 which takes about three seconds the volume can be adjusted. I checked and both Oppo players (103 and 105D) have identical settings.

What I found are that the two quad mixes sound quite a bit different. The Blu-ray has a more detailed (brighter to some maybe) but not fatiguing high end. The high end on the SACD is a bit more subdued but still quite accurate. The vocals of the Blu-ray are a touch more recessed than the SACD. The possible reason for this is that the instrumentation is more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray. With the instrumentation more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray it has a more immersive quality over the SACD. I found that the SACD seemed flat at times in regard to the depth, width and height of the sound field. The bass of the Blu-ray also seems a bit more prominent as I switched back and forth between the discs.

As far as which disc I preferred it would probably be the Blu-ray. The immersive quality of the Blu-ray is just better IMO and is the reason why I enjoy multichannel music. I just wish the vocals were a bit louder on the Blu-ray as at times they kind of get lost (slightly). I'm happy to have both discs but more than likely will chose the Blu-ray when listening to the quad mix. I hope others here that own the AF SACD will grab The Singles CD/Blu-ray set and do a comparison as well. I'd like to see what others think and if they have similar thoughts as mine or if theirs are totally different.

Bill

post #13518 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Well, “live” is frequently not as good as a studio recording from an audiophile perspective. There just isn’t the degree of control with live that there is with studio. In large part, miking isn’t as good and isolation, of the lack thereof, is a problem. Better venues and more attention to details can help immensely.

From the standpoint of someone who is an enthusiast of the artist, a quality live performance can more than compensate for any weaknesses in recording/mixing.

In the specific case of the AP title you cite, he is up against a legendary recording engineer and producer, and legendary supporting artists, i.e. The Alan Parsons Project. Vocalists like Alan Clarke, Colin Blunstone, David Pack and Gary Brooker are not going to be touring with him. Sorry for throwing shade on him as he is one of my all time favorite. I once drove from York, PA, to Denver, CO ... 24 hours of driving. Did you know that there is more than 12 hours worth of APP music? I listened to them all in chronological order. It was a blast; I sang every song.

Jeff
I am sitting and watching the disc tonight and yes it is a much different experience now, the picture quality is fantastic and you get a full appreciation for what is going on! I have a new opinion on this disc now, thank you!

Preet

post #13519 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just spent about two hours comparing The Best of the Doors quad mixes from the AF SACD and The Singles Blu-ray. One of the first things that stands out is that the Blu-ray is about 5-6 dB louder than the SACD. So when changing HDMI inputs on my XMC-1 which takes about three seconds the volume can be adjusted. I checked and both Oppo players (103 and 105D) have identical settings.

What I found are that the two quad mixes sound quite a bit different. The Blu-ray has a more detailed (brighter to some maybe) but not fatiguing high end. The high end on the SACD is a bit more subdued but still quite accurate. The vocals of the Blu-ray are a touch more recessed than the SACD. The possible reason for this is that the instrumentation is more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray. With the instrumentation more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray it has a more immersive quality over the SACD. I found that the SACD seemed flat at times in regard to the depth, width and height of the sound field. The bass of the Blu-ray also seems a bit more prominent as I switched back and forth between the discs.

As far as which disc I preferred it would probably be the Blu-ray. The immersive quality of the Blu-ray is just better IMO and is the reason why I enjoy multichannel music. I just wish the vocals were a bit louder on the Blu-ray as at times they kind of get lost (slightly). I'm happy to have both discs but more than likely will chose the Blu-ray when listening to the quad mix. I hope others here that own the AF SACD will grab The Singles CD/Blu-ray set and do a comparison as well. I'd like to see what others think and if they have similar thoughts as mine or if theirs are totally different.

Bill
Great comparison notes Bill, will look forward to the Blu ray when it arrives!!
Bill Mac likes this.

Preet

post #13520 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Back to Alan Parsons Project again...of those who own the DVD-A discs, how is the sound quality? I am going to put them on the hunt list!

Preet

post #13521 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Back to Alan Parsons Project again...of those who own the DVD-A discs, how is the sound quality? I am going to put them on the hunt list!
I would offer that I would re-buy these (I have all three) IN A HEARTBEAT if they were remastered as they strike me as on the flat side to the point where they seem like shovelware. However, I am confident that the entire APP catalog will be parsed out over time as 5.1 BD-Audio titles. So my real advice is to sit tight.

Jeff
decibels likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #13522 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Great comparison notes Bill, will look forward to the Blu ray when it arrives!!
Thank you! I'll definitely look forward to your thoughts between the two .
Quote:
I have the three Alan Parsons Project HDADs and they all sound excellent. Well worth searching for if you can find them at a fair price. I Robot is also available on SACD from MOFI. Haven't done a direct comparison between the SACD and the HDAD but the SACD does sound great. The Eye in the Sky and Turn of a Friendly Card HDADs are harder to come by and are usually pretty expensive.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/3156497
https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/2236311
https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/2236291
http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11796

Bill

post #13523 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you! I'll definitely look forward to your thoughts between the two .

I have the three Alan Parsons Project HDADs and they all sound excellent. Well worth searching for if you can find them at a fair price. I Robot is also available on SACD from MOFI. Haven't done a direct comparison between the SACD and the HDAD but the SACD does sound great. The Eye in the Sky and Turn of a Friendly Card HDADs are harder to come by and are usually pretty expensive.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/3156497
https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/2236311
https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Par...elease/2236291
http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11796

Bill
I have the recent I Robot SACD release and really like that one!

Preet

post #13524 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I would offer that I would re-buy these (I have all three) IN A HEARTBEAT if they were remastered as they strike me as on the flat side to the point where they seem like shovelware. However, I am confident that the entire APP catalog will be parsed out over time as 5.1 BD-Audio titles. So my real advice is to sit tight.

Jeff
Haha, good advice, let's hope they come out soon on either SACD or Blu ray!

Preet

post #13525 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Chicago II Blu-Ray Audio disc from the Quadio Blu-Ray box set. Bought off e-bay...

In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......
post #13526 of 13526 Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
According to my Amazon order history, I bought EITS for ~ $25 on Feb 2009.
I remember listening to it but haven't been able to locate it and the same disc is way up there in price now.

There is a 35th anniversary set coming out although I'm not sure of the format/quality. (Preorder for Novemebr release)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page