Possible King Crimson in surround - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 449 Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I already have B'Boom and Montreal. So the new DVD-Audio is not a must have purchase based on the material itself. But I do like hi-re multichannel in general, and so far Steve Wilson's remasters have been truly excellent.

Lark's Tongue and Thrak are high on my anticipation list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 449 Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I was thinking the same thing, but I'll be getting it anyway. The other live recoding of the basically the same lineup is "Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal 1984" which was their final show for KC at that time period. I like it better than B'BOOM.

larry

Don't forget deja VROOOM. Not the best PQ and AQ but a must own for any Crimhead!
post #363 of 449 Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Don't forget deja VROOOM. Not the best PQ and AQ but a must own for any Crimhead!

I have that and the other 2 or 3 DVDs of theirs. The videos on the DVD-As are good, too. There's not much of their stuff on media that I don't have. I have some of the DGM cds of their live shows, but the quality of the recordings aren't that great so I didn't get them all. Plus there's lots of overlap, IIRC. There's also an excellent book by Sid Smith that chronicles the history of KC. It's OOP, but you can still get copies, although the used prices are about $50.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #364 of 449 Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Heres some interesting news. It looks like LTIA is now being mastered. If you look closely, you'll see mention of a box set. You better start saving those pennies! biggrin.gif

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=22064
post #365 of 449 Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Heres some interesting news. It looks like LTIA is now being mastered. If you look closely, you'll see mention of a box set. You better start saving those pennies! biggrin.gif

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=22064

17.19 Now onto the bonus tracks, including a Power Trio mix of LTIA II.

Sweet!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #366 of 449 Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

^^^ Very good discs!

larry

Good to know. I wonder how much of the upcoming DVD-A's has already been released on this bootleg. The description for the new discs only mentioned they come from a "run of shows" in October.

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, but I'll be getting it anyway. The other live recoding of the basically the same lineup is "Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal 1984" which was their final show for KC at that time period. I like it better than B'BOOM.

larry

My copy came yesterday. I will most likely rip it and listen to it this weekend.

larry

post #367 of 449 Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"LTIA in 5.1 sounds remarkably good." per Mr. Fripp's diary.

This is reassuring though not unexpected.

Certainly the album I am most looking forward to that has not yet been released.

Next in line for me in terms of anticipation is Thrak. Sure hope they throw in the EP material that came out before Thrak.

I wonder if any of the Sylvian Fripp material will get the remix approach. The album that came out right before Thrak in many ways was a King Crimson album in my view.
post #368 of 449 Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My copy came yesterday. I will most likely rip it and listen to it this weekend.
larry

DGM finally sent me a shipping notice yesterday - I'm looking forward to it. From what I read there were were 14 shows in Argentina so it may not be the same stuff as the CD's. I'm sure you'll let us know! biggrin.gif

AQ and PQ aren't supposed to be the best but I'll buy anything with the double trio!
post #369 of 449 Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

larry

DGM finally sent me a shipping notice yesterday - I'm looking forward to it. From what I read there were were 14 shows in Argentina so it may not be the same stuff as the CD's. I'm sure you'll let us know! biggrin.gif

AQ and PQ aren't supposed to be the best but I'll buy anything with the double trio!

I ripped the MLP audio last night with DVD Audio Extractor. The only audio track it saw was 24/48 4ch. So it down mixed it for me to 2ch since that's what I listen to in my "reference" system. I'll probably give it a whirl in my HT some time.

The 2 discs are two shows on the same day (afternoon and evening), October 8, 1994. I listen to a bunch of the songs from the first show last night and thought the AQ was excellent. I had no complaints.

larry

post #370 of 449 Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ripped the MLP audio last night with DVD Audio Extractor. The only audio track it saw was 24/48 4ch. So it down mixed it for me to 2ch since that's what I listen to in my "reference" system. I'll probably give it a whirl in my HT some time.
The 2 discs are two shows on the same day (afternoon and evening), October 8, 1994. I listen to a bunch of the songs from the first show last night and thought the AQ was excellent. I had no complaints.
larry

Glad to hear it sounds good. That's why you have to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Too many people have an axe to grind.

Mine arrived about an hour ago. I hope I have some time to listen this weekend .Of course, the LTIA pint glass was backordered. mad.gif
post #371 of 449 Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 AM

I haven't read any reviews. Although once or twice I did hear some type or distortion or something that may have been cause by something physical - bad cable or something.

larry

post #372 of 449 Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't read any reviews. Although once or twice I did hear some type or distortion or something that may have been cause by something physical - bad cable or something.
larry

Did you listen to the 4.0? Someone on Amazon reported some noise in the rear. I only had a chance to listen a while on a soundbar and my bedroom TV so I didn't hear anything. The PQ is pretty bad however. Even the liner notes mention it. Too much out of focus footage and super slow fades.

I'm not complaining though. It's amazing how little video there is of Crimson out there.
post #373 of 449 Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

larry

Did you listen to the 4.0? Someone on Amazon reported some noise in the rear. I only had a chance to listen a while on a soundbar and my bedroom TV so I didn't hear anything. The PQ is pretty bad however. Even the liner notes mention it. Too much out of focus footage and super slow fades.

I'm not complaining though. It's amazing how little video there is of Crimson out there.
No, I haven't "watched it" yet. If the video isn't that good I'll probably pass.

larry

post #374 of 449 Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916

The long-awaited 40th anniversary edition of the legendary Larks’ Tongues In Aspic quintet will be released on October 15th.

One of the key recordings in the King Crimson canon, and the only formal studio recording by the LTIA quintet, the 40th Anniversary Edition will be released in three separate editions to satisfy the merely curious and the expectant collector.

1. CD/DVD-A:
CD: New stereo mix + selected audio extras – all new content.
DVD-A featuring 5.1 new surround mix, original & new stereo mixes in hi-res stereo, a full album of alt mixes by Steven Wilson & more than 30 minutes of unseen footage of the band live in the studio.

2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12” box with booklet & memorabilia.
DVD-A content as above,
Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material – all presented in DTS Master audio,
4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album,
1CD live in the studio,
8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings
+ 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards – limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units.

3. 2CD: Complete original & new mixes with selected audio extras.

Whilst the clip of the quintet performing LTIA pt1 during the Bremen Beat Club recording has been available on the internet for several years in varying degrees of quality, there has been some fevered speculation as to whether the full concert would ever see the light of day.

Though it's been a long time coming, the full video of David Cross, Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Jamie Muir will now be seen in full. We hope all Crimheads agree that the waiting to get this in the best possible quality will have been worth while.

Pre-ordering details will appear soon.
post #375 of 449 Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 AM

^^^ Freakin' awesome! Box set for sure!

larry

post #376 of 449 Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll be checking the link daily to make sure I get a shot at one of the 7000!
post #377 of 449 Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM

CD + DVDA is good enough for me.
post #378 of 449 Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The INCOTCK box cost me $50 and that was only 4 CD's. Anyone want to venture a guess how much how much this monster will cost?

In other good news- Beat is also coming out in October!
post #379 of 449 Old 08-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In other good news- Beat is also coming out in October!

Cool! Someone yell the news here when a pre-order link shows up somewhere, please.
post #380 of 449 Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone heard this Travis and Fripp piece in the Steve Wilson surround mix?

http://www.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dgm&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=288219630&Count2=205360054&ProductID=1296&Target=products.asp

I ordered one today...
post #381 of 449 Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DGM and Burning Shed both have it for pre order now.[about $140]

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #382 of 449 Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

DGM and Burning Shed both have it for pre order now.[about $140]
Thanks! Pre-ordered box set.

post #383 of 449 Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

You're an animal cool.gif

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #384 of 449 Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a box set animal too. It's quite a bargain for content compared with, say, the Aqualung box at near the same price!
post #385 of 449 Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's see. I have the original vinyl, audiophile vinyl, the original CD and the 30th anniversary Japanese import CD. Yeah, for that price I'm getting the box! biggrin.gif DGM states on the order page Features every known recorded note by the quintet line-up, both live and in the studio.

BTW, DGM is listing the pre order price for $120, but they have the annoying habit of charging your card when you order, not when it ships. OTOH, I think they are giving out free coasters when you spend over $30! rolleyes.gif
post #386 of 449 Old 08-19-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

Cool! Someone yell the news here when a pre-order link shows up somewhere, please.

I think it's a wait and see on this. I only saw one mention of this on another forum and haven't seen it corroborated anywhere else yet. It's also not on the DGM site, so far.
post #387 of 449 Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Quote:

You're an animal cool.gif
KC is my #1. Gotta go for the gusto! smile.gif I also was relieved the other day to find my Sid Smith KC "biography" book. I thought I had lost it. It's a "must have" for any more-than-average KC fan but unfortunately it's OOP and used copies go for over $80, well above the $13 I paid 6 years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Court-King-Crimson-Sid-Smith/dp/1900924269/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345459300&sr=1-1&keywords=sid+smith Amazon will give me a $1.40 gift card if I sell it back. LOL!

larry

post #388 of 449 Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

I think it's a wait and see on this. I only saw one mention of this on another forum and haven't seen it corroborated anywhere else yet. It's also not on the DGM site, so far.
I pre-ordered at DGM.

larry

post #389 of 449 Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I pre-ordered at DGM.
larry

I'm glad I was right the first time! I think I'm going to give Burning Shed an order this time. They seem to ship faster than DGM and I still haven't received all the things I ordered from DGM last time. BTW, the LTIA box contains some discs that were previously released in the KCCC. Here's some detailed info.

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3920

The quintet line-up of King Crimson – Bill Bruford, David Cross, Robert Fripp, Jamie Muir and John Wetton – was, like so many band line-ups of the era, short-lived.

Melody Maker revealed the membership in July 1972. The first full group rehearsal was on September 4th 1972, the final performance was on February 10th 1973 at London’s Marquee Club. Between those dates the band played a trio of club dates and a filmed live in the studio recording in Germany in October, a universally acclaimed UK tour during November/December and recorded one of the most celebrated studio albums of the era in January and early February.

This boxed set contains every known live performance
and studio recording by that band.

CD 1 & 2: October 13th 1972 Live at the Zoom Club, Frankfurt (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as KCCC20

CD 3: October 17th 1972 Live in the studio, Bremen (mono)
Previously only available as KCCC3

CD 4 & 5: November 10th 1972 Live at the Technical College, Hull (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 6: November 13th 1972 Live at the Civic Hall, Guildford (audio restored soundboard)
Previously only available as KCCC24

CD 7: November 25th 1972 Live at New Theatre, Oxford (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 8: December 1st 1972 Live at Green’s Playhouse, Glasgow, (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 9: December 15th 1972 Live at the Guildhall, Portsmouth (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 10: January 1973: “Keep That One, Nick” – The Larks’ Tongues In Aspic Recording Session Reels: Taking the form of an audio documentary & placing the listener in Command studios in early 1973 as the quintet maps out the material destined for the album produced by David Singleton. Featuring first takes of every piece recorded for the album interspersed with studio talk between band members & engineer

CD 11: January/February 1973: The original album mix 30th Anniversary Edition, The US Promo EP (transferred from vinyl) and the US radio advert

CD 12: January/February 1973: Alt Mixes and takes: Steven Wilson’s alternate Larks’ Tongues In Aspic plus Easy Money edited by David Singleton and Alex Mundy from Keep That One, Nick Session Reel Essentials

CD 13: January/February 1973: Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, new stereo mix, mixed by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp

Disc 14: DVD-A: Complete album in 5.1 MLP Lossless & DTS Surround Sound album mix.

38 minutes film performance of the band never previously been released or screened, Original album 30th anniversary mix, 2012 alternate takes & mixes in 24/48 hi-res stereo, 2012 stereo mix in 24/48 & 24/96 hi-res stereo

Disc 15: Blu-Ray: Content as per DVD-A with all stereo tracks in 24/96 hi-res plus hi-res stereo of “Keep That One Nick”, hi-res mono tracks “Live in the studio”, 24/96 transfer of original vinyl pressing, film footage of band performing “Larks’ Tongues In Aspic Part I” as originally broadcast on Beat Club TV programme

plus

36 page booklet with photos, timeline/diary, transcript of extensive Robert Fripp interview conducted by David Singleton (July 2012), new essay by King Crimson historian Sid Smith and more.

Print of original album sleeve, individual band member postcards, reproduction of UK tour handbill, reproduction of Rainbow Theatre, London concert ticket stub.

Downloadable Content: see back of reproduction of Rainbow Theatre London concert ticket to obtain the concert from that venue as an exclusive download – listener beware – audio for this show is of such poor quality as to be beyond meaningful restoration and is included solely for historic purposes.

Don’t forget if all of the above is too much, there will be be usual CD/DVD-A format as per the other 40th Anniversary Editions. This will include the new stereo mix, the 5.1 surround mix and exclusive video content as well as audio extras. Additionally for those folks who don’t want any video or surround sound content there will be a 2-CD disc special edition to cater for you LTIA needs. These discs are also up for pre-order from mail order in the US and Burning Shed in the UK and Europe.
post #390 of 449 Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Went with Burning Shed as well...same experience, much quicker. Last time DGM was so slow I ended up ordering from the Shed later and in the long run ended up with two copies.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page