post #421 of 449 Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Finally received the LTIA DVD-A and it was well worth the wait. Each of SW's KC re-releases have made the classics sound fresh to old ears; Lizard and Islands especially. But LTIA takes the cake! I almost couldn't recognize the music as at times it sounded like a brand new recording. The surround mix was a lot more aggressive this time around and I kept hearing bits that had previously been buried inside 2-channels. It was almost like listening to LTIA for the first time, forty years ago. What a treat! Thank you SW & RF.
The included video was rather cheesy psychedelia and focused a lot on David Cross and Jamie Muir - what an interesting off-the-wall character! But a nice historical record of the band to treasure nonetheless.
I can't wait to listen to The Power To Believe in 5.1. I have always felt that it ranked among the best that Crimson did, and up there with Red, Islands and Discipline.

It was great to see the video, just to watch Muir. A lot of the feel of LTIA is due to his percussion. The booklet of the box set goes into a lot of info about Muir. He was a wild man. Fripp said a lot of the stuff that Muir would bang on came from his kitchen. The roadies would spend half the set up time of a concert for all his stuff. He used to bite into a capsule of fake blood at the end of a concert and walk around with it dripping out of his mouth. He left the band soon after the album was recorded because he said he didn't want to get laid a lot and get rich! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 449 Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Enjoying the LTIA surround from the box so much that it took a long time to get to the other goodies. But the CD labeled "Keep This One Nick", from the sessions, is astounding! It starts out a little weak, but the band is raw and on fire in these takes! Check it out if you got the big box.
post #423 of 449 Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally some Crimson news. There's going to be a Red box set along the lines of LTIA. As of now, there are plans for 20 CD's eek.gif 1 DVD-A and 2 BD's. ETA- October. IMO, this is going to be a lot harder to justify than LTIA, but who knows by October. What do you guys think?

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4242

How'd you like to live on this street? biggrin.gif

post #424 of 449 Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm in! smile.gif Like the street sign, too.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #425 of 449 Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Finally some Crimson news. There's going to be a Red box set along the lines of LTIA. As of now, there are plans for 20 CD's eek.gif 1 DVD-A and 2 BD's. ETA- October. IMO, this is going to be a lot harder to justify than LTIA, but who knows by October. What do you guys think?

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4242

How'd you like to live on this street? biggrin.gif

Where the hell are Beat and TOAPP?
That's what I think.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #426 of 449 Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

That's what I think.

I think it's entirely possible that we could see Beat, TOAPP, and/or THRAK released this year as well. They're all finished from what I've heard.
I do agree that I'd rather get those 3 then get a RED box set, but I'll still probably pony up for the set too... wink.gif
post #427 of 449 Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I think.

Totally agree with you, but maybe you should contact Mr. Fripp about your wishes. He seems to be concentrating on his TV career lately! wink.gif

post #428 of 449 Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:

That's what I think.
Patience is a virtue. smile.gif

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #429 of 449 Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Patience is a virtue. smile.gif
It's not really about patience but ridiculous decisions on what gets released when.
Discipline, Beat and TOAPP should have been released at the same time as they represent a version of the band and many other artistic things.

Instead they release some uber OCD set of live stuff with 95 versions of songs varying only by the relative humidity of when they were performed.
Fine, release it. I know there are KC fans loving it but it still makes no sense from a holisitic view of the band.
And now, an uber OCD set of Red...

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #430 of 449 Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess I'm in the minority on this one. But the release of Red in a box set has me uber excited. I can live without Beat and TOAPP. But that's just me...
post #431 of 449 Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. But the release of Red in a box set has me uber excited. I can live without Beat and TOAPP. But that's just me...
Listen I'm not saying that any all or all of these sets are not great, but imo, the original releases should be done first, then let the completists run wild.
Beat and TOAPP are already DONE.
This is Fripp pure and simple.
I think I need to drive over there and straighten things out.
Maybe bringing some nice cakes will make me more persuasive

post #432 of 449 Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Listen I'm not saying that any all or all of these sets are not great, but imo, the original releases should be done first, then let the completists run wild.
Beat and TOAPP are already DONE.
This is Fripp pure and simple.
I think I need to drive over there and straighten things out.
Maybe bringing some nice cakes will make me more persuasive

Actually Beat is not done yet. Fripp has been working on the stereo mix as of a couple of weeks ago. And I wouldn't be to sure of TOAPP either. He'll probably keep tinkering until he feels they are the way he wants them.
post #433 of 449 Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^
Yup, I saw that blog post as well.
Ah well, at least they are working on it

post #434 of 449 Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sid Smith is over on the Hoffman forum requesting info from anyone who saw the band on the Road to Red tour in '74. This is for the booklet that will accompany the upcoming box set. More info at the link.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/king-crimson-were-you-on-the-road-to-red.322011/

If this is a no-no Larry, please delete this post.
post #435 of 449 Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Also saw a DGM blog post from David Singleton that Beat will be released this Autumn. biggrin.gif
No mention of TOAPP but with the other stuff due out this fall, it's gonna be expensive but musical.

post #436 of 449 Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Some Crimson news from DGM. The Road to Red box set is listed as a pre-order at the price of $225. Too rich for my blood with all the other stuff coming out this fall.

http://store.nexternal.com/dgm/the-road-to-red-box-set-p1372.aspx

There is also a preorder for the 40th anniversary edition of USA which wiii not contain a surround mix! mad.gif Seems like Mr. Fripp didn't like the idea.

http://store.nexternal.com/dgm/king-crimson---usa-40th-anniversary-edition-p1374.aspx
post #437 of 449 Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Some Crimson news from DGM. The Road to Red box set is listed as a pre-order at the price of $225. Too rich for my blood with all the other stuff coming out this fall.

http://store.nexternal.com/dgm/the-road-to-red-box-set-p1372.aspx

There is also a preorder for the 40th anniversary edition of USA which wiii not contain a surround mix! mad.gif Seems like Mr. Fripp didn't like the idea.

http://store.nexternal.com/dgm/king-crimson---usa-40th-anniversary-edition-p1374.aspx
I'm in for the Red boxset. 24 discs, less than $10 a disc. smile.gif re: USA. To me it doesn't make much sense to make a surround mix from a live recording not recorded in surround. Actually, for me, same goes for studio recordings. MCH does nothing for me unless it was recorded in surround.

I was looking on Amazon for the pre-order (not there) and saw this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C44IWEG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it.

larry

post #438 of 449 Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I'm in for the Red boxset. 24 discs, less than $10 a disc. smile.gif re: USA. To me it doesn't make much sense to make a surround mix from a live recording not recorded in surround. Actually, for me, same goes for studio recordings. MCH does nothing for me unless it was recorded in surround.

I was looking on Amazon for the pre-order (not there) and saw this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C44IWEG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered it.

larry

Good point about the USA disc. Most 5.1 concerts usually just have crowd noises in the surrounds anyway. Studio stuff usually depends on who does the surround mix. That's why I like Steven Wilson's work. I don't always love it, but at least he doesn't screw anything up.
post #439 of 449 Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

DGM is offering a layaway plan for anyone interested in the Red box but is put off by the price. I might email them to check it out. If they do it interest free it might be a good option.

For our loyal customers, if you want to make sure you place an order for one of these limited edition box sets, but the timing is not right to order this extensive set, we are formulating a layaway plan. For more details, please send an email with subject header Layaway to mailorder@dgmlive.com.
post #440 of 449 Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM

Amazon pre-order for "Road to Red". $178. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Red-King-Crimson/dp/B00ECK21WO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1377981020&sr=1-1&keywords=road+to+red+king+crimson

larry

post #441 of 449 Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

post #442 of 449 Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

$145 at importcd's.

http://www.importcds.com/music/2639481/king-crimson-road-to-red-box

I really don't need to know about the discounts! I'm trying to be a mature adult about this, and avoid buying it. I have headphones to buy, darnit, and some of them are cheaper than the Road to Red!
post #443 of 449 Old 11-02-2013, 03:49 PM

Road to Red has shipped! (And it's the first Amazon item to be charged sales tax for me. Nov 1 it starts for MA residents.)

larry

post #444 of 449 Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM

I know I'm a slacker, but I'm starting to play catch-up on the remasters. I finally got Wake of Poseidon, Islands, and Lizard last week. Of the three, Lizard is the most amazing to me, and it has been one of my least favorite of the catalogue. I do not remember this album sounding so good on LP back in the day.

Listening to all 3 on headphones has been a mind-blowing experience as well. I have 2 serious planar/magnetic headphones- the open HE-5LE and the closed-back Alpha Dogs. Man, this is why I'm in this hobby!

Larks Tongue's should be here next week.
post #445 of 449 Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post

I know I'm a slacker, but I'm starting to play catch-up on the remasters. I finally got Wake of Poseidon, Islands, and Lizard last week. Of the three, Lizard is the most amazing to me, and it has been one of my least favorite of the catalogue. I do not remember this album sounding so good on LP back in the day.

Listening to all 3 on headphones has been a mind-blowing experience as well. I have 2 serious planar/magnetic headphones- the open HE-5LE and the closed-back Alpha Dogs. Man, this is why I'm in this hobby!

Larks Tongue's should be here next week.

Bold my emphasis...

That was Messrs Fripp's and Wilson's thoughts, IIRC: that Lizard is such a dense recording, and it took Mr Wilson's magic to unravel it enough for the listener while still maintaining all the complexity. The 5.1 mix especially allows for all that sound to be spread out and untangled.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #446 of 449 Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It's been a long time but there's some news on the Crim front. There will be a box set of Starless And Bible Black as well as the long delayed Beat. Both due in October. I don't know what the delay has been for Beat, we'd probably have to ask Mr Fripp for that info. rolleyes.gif SABB is very interesting box choice. It is probably the most popular Crim lineup so that should drive sales. As of now I'll probably pass since I haven't gotten through the R2R box yet. However, these web forums have a way of getting you to change your mind. biggrin.gif

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm
post #447 of 449 Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, read that a few days ago.
I know it's just me but I have no interest in the epic live sets they've been releasing.
For goddsakes just release Beat and TOAPP now! They've been done for ages.
Instead they have to space the 40th Anniv. releases because the boxsets are so bloody expensive.
BTW, Fripp has been touring with a group of interesting guys that played here in Seattle last month at a really cool venue but of course I missed it.
Just like I missed Adrian Belew at the same place a couple of years ago.

Fripp is also touring with the latest and perhaps last incarnation of the Crafty Guitarists.
I saw the League of Crafty Guitarists years ago at a great little club.
Wow.

post #448 of 449 Old 05-11-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

We should be happy because Fripp does release a lot of stuff, whereas lots of bands release little or absolutely nothing. Those boxsets are quite a handful, however.

OTOH, he changes his release dates for these albums alot. Supposedly there are extras he want to add to the releases and the rights haven't been secured. But who really knows other than him and a few others? For instance, a few months ago I said the next release was going to be something unexpected but I couldn't reveal it. Since the info is on other forums it's not a secret, is it? It was supposed to be a Thrak deluxe set, probably 5 discs. That's something else that has vanished into the ether. It will probably wind up a 25 disc box set someday. wink.gif
post #449 of 449 Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Slacker that I am, I finally got LTIA two days ago.

I don't know how many of you guys even care about headphones, but the rig I listened to it on was an Oppo BDP-103 with coax into a Schiit Bifrost Uber, into a Burson Soloist. The headphones were the closed planar Alpha Dogs by Mr. Speakers.

I don't think I've ever heard a digital recording any better, more dynamic. and more clearly than that recording on that equipment.

Anyone else digging Crim with headphones?
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page