Possible King Crimson in surround - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #451 of 477 Old 08-08-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Beat'll be out sometime next year from what i've heard.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 477 Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post
Beat'll be out sometime next year from what i've heard.

That's what they said last year.
post #453 of 477 Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
That's what they said last year.
I thought Beat was schedule for release this fall.
These side projects are really getting tiresome to me whehter I want them or not.
Release the goddamm studio releases.
I know they're essentially done and don't take the time to assemble every last minute particle.
I can see why this band has had so many splits, hiatus' etc., etc., etc., etc.
Sooner or later everyone who plays with Fripp gets fed up and moves on while he fritters about cakes and tea.
Pathetic.
ti-triodes likes this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 08-10-2015 at 07:37 PM.
post #454 of 477 Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I thought Beat was schedule for release this fall.
These side projects are really getting tiresome to me whehter I want them or not.
Release the goddamm studio releases.
I know they're essentially done and don't take the time to assemble every last minute particle.
I can see why this band has had so many splits, hiatus' etc., etc., etc., etc.
Sooner or later everyone who plays with Fripp gets fed up and moves on while he fritters about cakes and tea.
Pathetic.

Absolutely true. I recently read Bill Bruford's "autobiography". I always thought he really liked Fripp since he left Yes for Crimson right when Yes was hitting the big time. He worked longer with Fripp than probably anyone else other than Tony Levin. He slagged Fripp a few times in the book and no one else. Not even the notorious flakes in Yes. Not even Chris Squire who drove everyone else crazy!

But really, how is this any different than other bands? Tales from Topographic Oceans has been done for over a year and still hasn't been rereleased. The crummy extras on the new Zeppelin remasters shows they are just a money grab. I could go on and on since they are so many other examples.

The record companies and musicians act like it's still the golden age. Meanwhile the market place gallops towards streaming and the rest of us aren't getting any younger.
locomo and acebreathe like this.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 08-11-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Fix friggen autocorrect
post #455 of 477 Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 3434
I just read confirmation that "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" are due for mid-October release. And it turns out that Amazon has pre-orders as does Burning Shed.

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
post #456 of 477 Old 07-01-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup. Finally. Pre-ordered both.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #457 of 477 Old 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
It's my understanding that all the material on these two releases will be included in an upcoming box set. In that case, I'll wait for the box set.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #458 of 477 Old 07-03-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Right you are.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.
post #459 of 477 Old 07-05-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post
It's my understanding that all the material on these two releases will be included in an upcoming box set. In that case, I'll wait for the box set.
I'll get them, too.
ti-triodes likes this.

post #460 of 477 Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll be getting the box also. I love the 80's lineup. But I also loved the 60's and 70's lineups and really like the double trio.
post #461 of 477 Old 07-26-2016, 03:20 AM

King Crimson - Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind

Got this in email from The Artist Shop. 3CD + Blu-Ray Box Set

"This is King Crimson... re-imagined" - Robert Fripp, June 2016. It has been stated many times that King Crimson is not so much a band as it is "a way of doing things." Less frequently stated but equally true, is the fact that the band inevitably seeks different ways of doing things. The current incarnation of the band, 2014 - the present day, has already released two taster sets in the form of 2015's Live at the Orpheum mini-album and the vinyl picture disc EP that accompanied the 2015 tours of Canada and Japan, while the full raw concert performance from a single night in Toronto in 2015 was presented as a 2CD set earlier this year to great acclaim. Now, with the release of Radical Action comes the most fully realised audio and visual statement from this band to date, running to three themed CDs and a Blu-Ray disc offering the filmed content along with an audio only option in lossless high resolution stereo and surround sound. The set includes at least one performance of every song/piece of music played by King Crimson in 2015, some pieces originally composed in 1969 the year of the band's inception, others composed/initially performed at a variety of points since, some new to the tour, all arranged for this specific line-up. Indeed it is characteristic of this King Crimson - in direct contrast to all other post 1970s line-ups - to feature a broad range of material from the 1969 - 1974 era, performed in such a manner as to maintain much of what made the music so arresting when first issued, while arranged for fresh interpretation by the seven piece line-up of today. As Fripp put it (when asked what the title of the album meant to him): "What I like about this band is, that what it is actually doing is not what it appears to be doing...." The idea of King Crimson re-imagined, that the music as presented is new, irrespective of when originally composed, is the key element in this band's makeup. The set will be released to coincide with King Crimson's most extensive European tour since 1974, with performances slated to include, for the first time ever, material from all seven of King Crimson's 1969 - 1974 iconic studio albums.

Audio: Three themed CDs of material recorded in 2015, each forming a separate discrete performance with audio selected from a variety of shows and fully mixed from multi-track tapes by Chris Porter, Robert Fripp and David Singleton. As no audience is audible between tracks, this allows for a "virtual studio album" effect. (The current King Crimson line-up was deliberately conceived as a performing band rather than as a band concerned with making full studio recordings). Video: Among the problems most associated with filming live performance, perhaps the key problems are those of the film-makers' cameras intruding on the audience's capacity to enjoy the show without interruption and the intrusion of the cameras on the band's performance. In effect, both performance and audience response must be misrepresented to approximate a live show for later consumption. In order to record the performances more accurately, a series of Japanese concerts was captured via a number of discreet cameras in a "video verite" style - with neither band nor audience disturbed by filming - by Trevor Wilkins who also edited and assembled the footage. Audio/Video: Blu-Ray features the concert film in high-resolution [24/48] stereo and 5.1 surround sound with additional ‘video off' mode allowing for high-resolution audio only playback in stereo and surround sound. In essence the music can be experienced in a number of different ways - as continuous uninterrupted audio on CD, as a viewable concert performance in stereo or 5.1 surround, or in high-resolution, lossless audio stereo or 5.1 surround without pictures on the Blu-Ray. Presentation: 2 x gatefold mini-vinyl style card sleeves containing the 4 discs plus booklet containing photos and audio notes housed in an exterior slip case.
ti-triodes likes this.

post #462 of 477 Old 08-18-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The 80's box has finally been announced. ETA Oct 21. Start saving your pennies.

I must be spending too much time around here. $150 doesn't seem like a bad price.

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-cr...eid=9ca3da6831

King Crimson 9 CDs including Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp new stereo mixes o
On (and off) The Road 1981 - 1984
Limited Edition 17 discs Boxed set

• The complete 1980s King Crimson boxed set
• 9 CDs:
• 3CDs feature Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp new stereo mixes of Discipline (2011), Beat (2016) & Three of a Perfect Pair (2016)
• 4CDs feature the final concert from each of the band’s tours: Japan 1981 – new to CD, Germany 1982 – new mixes for this edition, Canada [Absent Lovers] 1984 – remastered for this edition
• 2CDs feature additional studio recordings: a CD newly edited & expanded from sessions for the ‘abandoned’ third album & a “making of…” CD featuring studio snippets & outtakes from across the studio recordings
• 3 DVD-A discs (hybrid discs compatible with all dvd players & rom-drives, region free, ntsc) feature the three original studio albums in high-resolution stereo (new & original mixes), 5.1 Surround Sound mixes with additional audio & videos on all three discs
• 3 Blu-Ray discs containing material as on DVD-A discs plus extensive additional video material including: Frejus live (Discipline), Alabama-Halle (Beat) – footage unseen since original 1982 broadcast), Japan 1984 (Three of a Perfect Pair) & additional hi-res audio options
• TOAPP blu-ray also features previously unseen footage from the final run of 1984 Japanese concerts + 2 sets of “single camera footage” recordings with shots focusing on each of the individual musicians
• Absent Lovers concert is also included in a new Surround Sound mix on TOAPP BD.
• 12” box with booklet, memorabilia, new sleevenotes & eyewitness accounts of KC live

Adrian Belew: guitar, lead vocal Robert Fripp:¬ guitar & devices
Tony Levin: stick, bass, support vocal Bill Bruford: Acoustic & electronic percussion
gillcup and PooperScooper like this.
post #463 of 477 Old 08-19-2016, 04:44 AM

With the release dates only a week apart, I'll probably cancel the pre-orders for Beat and Three of a Perfect pair. Earlier, I was assuming the box set would be months after.

post #464 of 477 Old 08-19-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
I pre-ordered the box set. I even got the loyal customer discount!

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #465 of 477 Old 09-14-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just received their latest release in the mail today...Radical Action To Unseat The Hold Of Monkey Mind.

There are several packages (3 CD/Blu-ray and 3 CD/2 DVD/Blu-ray). As mentioned at dgmlive.com...."One Blu-Ray featuring a complete set-list drawn from Japanese concert performances – almost 3 hours of music - in high-resolution stereo & 5.1 surround audio complete with “picture off” mode allowing the music to be heard independently in pristine, lossless audio. (24/48khz as per original recordings)".

Track listing of the concert blu-ray...
Threshold Soundscape
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One
Pictures of a City
Peace
Radical Action (to Unseat The Hold of Monkey Mind)
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Epitaph
The Hell Hounds of Krim
The ConstruKction of Light
A Scarcity of Miracles
Red
Backstage Adventures of the Crimson Kind
VROOOM
Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
Easy Money
Interlude
The Letters
Sailor's Tale
The Light of Day
The Talking Drum
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two
Starless
Devil Dogs of Tessellation Row
The Court of the Crimson King
21st Century Schizoid Man
A couple of nice write-ups of the release here....https://www.allaboutjazz.com/radical-action-to-unseat-the-hold-of-monkey-mind-by-john-kelman.php and here...https://progressivemusicreview.wordpress.com/2016/09/10/king-crimson-radical-action-to-unseat-the-hold-of-monkey-mind

Haven't had a chance to listen yet but it will be in rotation over the next few days and/or may be the Friday night concert

....should tide me over until On (and off) The Road is released
post #466 of 477 Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 AM

^^^ I have like 3 or 4 box sets on pre-order so I had to check. I had pre-ordered it but Amazon won't be shipping these until Monday.
Schubeedoobee likes this.

post #467 of 477 Old 10-28-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the DVD-As of Beat and TOAPP pre-ordered but cancelled after discovering that most if not all of the content was in 24/48 & not 24/96 I decided to go for the box which has blu-rays at 24/96.
Pre-Ordered from importcds at a great price of $91.55.
I guess that price was too good as they cancelled my, and all of the other pre-orders at this price.
Went with Burning Shed, I did not pay extra for insurance or expedited shipping.
I ordered it last Sunday, 10/23.

Got a Fedex shipping notice on Tuesday and it arrived Thursday 10/27 on the West Coast in perfect condition.
To me that is customer service supreme.
I've communicated with and ordered from Burning Shed many times.
They are a small company with great people who love music and what they do.

This set was pricey but if you are an 80's KC fan, the amount of content is off the charts.
As I always have believed, there is a definite difference between cost and value.

post #468 of 477 Old 10-30-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I had the DVD-As of Beat and TOAPP pre-ordered but cancelled after discovering that most if not all of the content was in 24/48 & not 24/96...
The difference between the two is that the 24/96 version contains frequencies above 24Khz. It's very very unlikely you'll miss hearing anything with the 24/48 version.

post #469 of 477 Old 10-30-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
The difference between the two is that the 24/96 version contains frequencies above 24Khz. It's very very unlikely you'll miss hearing anything with the 24/48 version.
Poop, I have no illusions that I will hear any difference but there are several reasons I went with the box other than that.
80's KC is my favorite era and given the option I decided to go with ultimate content.
I rarely buy boxsets and this seemed like right the one to go for.
This will be the last KC content I'll buy and will complete the set of the DVD-A studio discs.
Plus the Burning Shed version has suitable for framing prints of the 3 album covers

I wonder if ti-triodes has his boxset yet.

post #470 of 477 Old 11-01-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Poop, I have no illusions that I will hear any difference but there are several reasons I went with the box other than that.
80's KC is my favorite era and given the option I decided to go with ultimate content.
This will be the last KC content I'll buy and will complete the set of the DVD-A studio discs.
Plus the Burning Shed version has suitable for framing prints of the 3 album covers

LOL. I just mentioned it in regards to a post of yours in another thread. If you like the 80's Crim, it's a must buy. A bit of too much repetition with 3 separate discs of each album, but you have 7 different codecs to choose from.
There's 5 hours+ of video content, including a just discovered vid of the Live in Frejus concert, which was thought to be lost. I never saw the 80's band live so it's extraordinary to see them actually playing this complex music. 4 amazing musicians in action.

I'm working my way through the BD's first which are all superb, though I was never too crazy about the 2011 Discipline mix, which they kept. There's still 10 more CD's of extras and concerts.
Other highlights include the Live in Japan concert- the band is on fire. Fragmented (disc 5) is a must listen. It's a glimpse of what the next 80's album would be like if the band didn't break up. Disc 9 is a fly on the wall look of the band behind the scenes.

If you can find the box for $100, it's a bargain. For $40 more than the price of 3 separate DVD-A's you get many hours of extra content, much of it in surround.

I'm going to be working my way through this beauty for a long time.
post #471 of 477 Old 11-01-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I read your post over "there".
I saw the 80's KC twice. Once for Discipline and then for TOAPP.
Man that was looong time ago but I still remember being blown away.
I was bummed but not surprised when they splintered or more accurately Adrian & Bill split.
Tony Levin must have the patience of a Zen monk.
Unfortunately, it will be some time before I can really delve into this box.
Probably Thanksgiving week.

OT but maybe of interest to some.
An old childhood friend is a TV & film actor of note.(haven't seen him in years now).
He was in a film in the early 80's where the Chapman stick was used as a prop.
He ended up with it.
When he returned for a visit we plugged it into an amp and f'd around with it.
Really unique instrument.
The fact the anyone can actually play it is astounding.

post #472 of 477 Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:

I thought you ordered BDs but really wanted DVD-As. My box set came Monday. I was pissed because Burning Shed sent it signature required and I had to wait around all day until 4:30pm - FedEx just said it would arrive by 8pm - gee thanks. Haven't opened it yet.

post #473 of 477 Old 11-02-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OT but maybe of interest to some.
An old childhood friend is a TV & film actor of note.(haven't seen him in years now).
He was in a film in the early 80's where the Chapman stick was used as a prop.
He ended up with it.
When he returned for a visit we plugged it into an amp and f'd around with it.
Really unique instrument.
The fact the anyone can actually play it is astounding.

Seriously. That's why I've been spending a lot of time on the videos. The 80's band made a lot of unusual sounds and it's fascinating to see the band actually do it. Levin and Bruford are especially fascinating. When I saw Tony pick up a regular bass I said "That's it? Just 4 strings?". But seeing how Fripp added all those textures and watching Belew doing his David Byrne on speed routine is worth the price of the vids alone.
post #474 of 477 Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
I thought you ordered BDs but really wanted DVD-As. My box set came Monday. I was pissed because Burning Shed sent it signature required and I had to wait around all day until 4:30pm - FedEx just said it would arrive by 8pm - gee thanks. Haven't opened it yet.
There were no standalone BDs available.
I pre-ordered the DVD-As and upon finding out that they were mostly 24/48 is when I decided to go for the box which has everything and then some.
I've had all of the studio DVD-As through Discipline since they were available so I guess I got 1 duplicate disc but the Discipline BD has more content the DVD-A.
I'm reading some interesting reviews of Beat in that I didn't realize that the original CD\LP were truncated.
As I said earlier I'm really looking forward to delving into this set.

post #475 of 477 Old 11-02-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seriously. That's why I've been spending a lot of time on the videos. The 80's band made a lot of unusual sounds and it's fascinating to see the band actually do it. Levin and Bruford are especially fascinating. When I saw Tony pick up a regular bass I said "That's it? Just 4 strings?". But seeing how Fripp added all those textures and watching Belew doing his David Byrne on speed routine is worth the price of the vids alone.
Yup.
They're very much like the classic Who.
It's great to listen to albums like Live At Leeds and Hull but watching Moon and Townshend take to a whole nother level.

One thing I remember about watching the 80's KC live is Bruford's half digital, half skin drumkit and trying to tap my foot to the intricate time signatures.
I gave up after my ankle started cramping

To me that's one thing that made them really great, the intricate rhythms counter pointed with the melodic dissonance.
Unique and to me, beautiful.
Certainly not everyone's cup of tea.
ti-triodes likes this.

post #476 of 477 Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup.
They're very much like the classic Who.
It's great to listen to albums like Live At Leeds and Hull but watching Moon and Townshend take to a whole nother level.

One thing I remember about watching the 80's KC live is Bruford's half digital, half skin drumkit and trying to tap my foot to the intricate time signatures.
I gave up after my ankle started cramping

To me that's one thing that made them really great, the intricate rhythms counter pointed with the melodic dissonance.
Unique and to me, beautiful.
Certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting you brought up Moon, my all time favorite rock drummer. He also had some unique time signatures. There's a Classic Album video (Who's Next?) where Daltrey gives a really simple but effective explanation of Moonie's way of keeping time, which was different from most drummers out there. A great drummer that we lost way too soon.
post #477 of 477 Old 11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting you brought up Moon, my all time favorite rock drummer. He also had some unique time signatures. There's a Classic Album video (Who's Next?) where Daltrey gives a really simple but effective explanation of Moonie's way of keeping time, which was different from most drummers out there. A great drummer that we lost way too soon.
Keith Moon was unique, to me very much in the mold of Gene Krupa.
Drums as a lead instrument every bit the the equal of Pete's guitar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats