Possible King Crimson in surround - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hope 'In the Wake', 'Larks Tongues in Aspec', and 'Starless and Bible Black' come out next. Those three would round out both the Wetton and Greg Lake era. I hope Fripp does it that way, old to new. I am counting the days till September/October.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This just came in my email box from Burning Shed...

King Crimson's classic 1974 album as it should be heard.

CD: Features the original album, plus three extra tracks (stunning pre-overdub trio versions of Red & Fallen Angel and the full version of Providence).

DVD-A: Features the original album in Hi-Res Stereo and a new 5.1 Surround Sound version by Steven Wilson. This also includes the three additional tracks from the CD, plus Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos, available in Hi-Res Stereo. The trio version of Fallen Angel and the full versions of Providence and Journey to the Centre of the Cosmos are also available in 5.1 Surround Sound.

Video footage: Rarely seen footage from French TV from 1974 featuring performances of Larks’ Tongues in Aspic II, The Night Watch, Lament & Starless.

* Containing new sleeve-notes by Robert Fripp and King Crimson biographer Sid Smith.
* Featuring newly designed booklet with rarely seen photos and other archive material.
* Presented in double Digipack format with outer card slipcase.
post #93 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Red = Ordered. For about US$20 shipped, was a quick decision. Especially compared to the obscene Amazon pre-order price (which admittedly might drop).

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #94 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 View Post

These will be DVD-Audios!!

Ye of little faith! Let the ordering begin...................

[Early Adopter]
post #95 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Red = Ordered. For about US$20 shipped, was a quick decision. Especially compared to the obscene Amazon pre-order price (which admittedly might drop).
shinksma

Assuming you ordered from Burning Shed, me too.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #96 of 449 Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

shinksma

I couldn't even find it on amazon!
post #97 of 449 Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

I couldn't even find it on amazon!

+1

A link would be nice...
post #98 of 449 Old 07-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Amazon Red pre-order Search for Red and then sort by Release Date.

I'm not pre-ordering until they get the format correct. Sent back the Genesis box set when then never got the SACDs and kept the same pre-order for the CDs.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #99 of 449 Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 AM

Pre-ordered at Burning Shed! http://www.burningshed.com/store/kin...tion/313/1652/

For those still hesitating, I've dealt with Burning Shed extensively in the past (most of my favorite bands are on there), and everything always went extremely smoothly.
post #100 of 449 Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildsmanCoren View Post

Pre-ordered at Burning Shed! http://www.burningshed.com/store/kin...tion/313/1652/

For those still hesitating, I've dealt with Burning Shed extensively in the past (most of my favorite bands are on there), and everything always went extremely smoothly.

Yeah, I concur. The only annoying thing about doing pre-orders from Burning Shed, especially PTree stuff, is when it finally does hit Amazon a month or two later, the Amazon price is usually much lower. So the same will possibly happen with the KC Red release - in three months a domestic release will be available for $13.

Now more obscure stuff. like the Ltd Ed Bass Communion titles that you have to order direct from Headphone Dust (i.e. too obscure/limited for even Burning Shed) are usually only ever reliably available that way - Amazon won't carry them, or they have only third-party Amazon Marketplace resellers with "used - like new" copies for a high price.

In my experience, YMMV,

shinksma

post #101 of 449 Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I second shinksma in this regard. With the last PT DVD-A release, Lightbulb Sun, I recall some people here getting it earlier from Amazon than I did through my pre-order with Burning Shed. And to add salt to the wound, they even paid less. I fully intend to get every KC surround-sound release, but I think I'll keep my powder dry at the moment until the Amazon price is clarified. Unlike the Gabriel-Genesis box set, there are no extraneous issues like SACD vs. DTS to confound the matter.
post #102 of 449 Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Wow. That's fantastic. I can not wait. It would probably be worth it for domestic people to check out DGM Mail Order, them and Burning Shed operate very similarly. But, i did just get Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A from Burning Shed and it arrived quickly and so im sure the experience will be similar for these, it was actually the only place i could find the DVD-A, its not even on Amazon anymore.

Also im pumped to hear that these are CD/DVD-A combos, I do think SACD Hybrids are more effective but im glad that i will be able to easily get these on my computer.

Ill probably pick up Lizard first as i do not have any previous release of it, then probably the 4CD/DVD-A ItCotCK because i doubt those will be around for a long time. And then Red because its probably my favorite album of theirs. Either way they are off to a great start with these releases and ill probably get them ASAP.
post #103 of 449 Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I didn't realize these were combos. That should help with keeping retailer confusion to a minimum.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #104 of 449 Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I didn't realize these were combos. That should help with keeping retailer confusion to a minimum.

larry

Yeah i think we may even see these come to B&M stores because they have CDs. Of course it is King Crimson so i doubt well see a lot of them at B&M stores, but there is a chance.
post #105 of 449 Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

The pre-order for King Crimson Re-Releases: Lizard and In the Court of the Crimson King is up on Burning shed.
post #106 of 449 Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

The pre-order for King Crimson Re-Releases: Lizard and In the Court of the Crimson King is up on Burning shed.

They're a bit cheaper than Amazon. Have used them before? Are they reliable? Thanks.
post #107 of 449 Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar surround View Post

They're a bit cheaper than Amazon. Have used them before? Are they reliable? Thanks.

Are you referring to Amazon.com or .co.uk? Either way, I can't find the remixed/remastered KC CD+DVD5.1 pre-releases of Lizard or ITCOTCK for these titles on Amazon. If you have links, could you provide them?

Or are you referring to Burning Shed prices in general compared to Amazon? It's the shipping that usually makes the BS prices not quite competitive for North Americans, if the title is avail from Amazon.com/.ca.

Yes, BS is reliable - it is the boutique label/store for Porcupine Tree's more obscure releases, along with related and unrelated acts like No-Man and Nosound. But not quite as boutique or obscure as Headphone Dust (which seems to be SW's private label).

At any rate, I pre-ordered Lizard and ITCOTCK from BS earlier today (and Red previously).

shinksma

post #108 of 449 Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Are you referring to Amazon.com or .co.uk? Either way, I can't find the remixed/remastered KC CD+DVD5.1 pre-releases of Lizard or ITCOTCK for these titles on Amazon. If you have links, could you provide them?
shinksma

I could only find an Amazon (US) link to Red:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-King-Crims...0434708&sr=1-2

I did not see anything listed as of yet for Lizard or ITCOTK on Amazon.com. I guess they are a little behind.
post #109 of 449 Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Burning Shed is very reliable - I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and never had any issues shipping to the US.

I couldn't find the DVD-A's on Amazon US so I decided to go ahead and pre-order from Burning shed. I think the cost ended up around $21 per after shipping - not bad, but not wonderful. Hopefully worth it though as I'm expecting good things from these new mixes...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #110 of 449 Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #111 of 449 Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Red has been up for pre-order at B.S. for over a month...the big news is Lizard and ItCotCK are now available for pre-order including the box set of ItCotCK. $61.65 for the boxset...not too bad accept shipping is kind of steep. Think I'll wait and see if Amazon picks up the boxset before pre-ordering from B.S.

Oct 12 for ItCotCK.
Oct 26 for Lizard.
post #112 of 449 Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

uhm, can anyone tell if this is the new stereo mix of In The Court...

http://dvd-a.info/media/SW_planetrock_itcotck_edit.mp3

(song starts around 1' after SW talks a bit about it)

Boo!
post #113 of 449 Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

I can't wait for these releases in DVD audio. Especially Lizard, this has to be one of the most underated KC albums of all time. One other comment I hope Steve wilson does a better job with KC than he does with Porcupine tree. I do not want to start any arguments here but what is it about this band that everybody likes?? I bought one of there DVD audios, and couldnt get throught the first track! This is what Prog Rock has become? Give me Yes, Peter Gabriel Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP.....
post #114 of 449 Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

I can't wait for these releases in DVD audio. Especially Lizard, this has to be one of the most underated KC albums of all time. One other comment I hope Steve wilson does a better job with KC than he does with Porcupine tree. I do not want to start any arguments here but what is it about this band that everybody likes?? I bought one of there DVD audios, and couldnt get throught the first track! This is what Prog Rock has become? Give me Yes, Peter Gabriel Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP.....

Porcupine Tree is not Prog Rock Ã* la Yes, early-Genesis, Gentle Giant, etc. (I would say PG has evolved significantly since his Genesis days, though, just in a different direction from where PTree went.)

PTree is "rock music" that has incorporated various present-day and past influences to create a unique sound.

Chuck Berry was hard-edged rock'n'roll at one time. Now most purveyors of "hard rock" would say even Van Halen is approaching Adult Contemporary, with maybe Eruption being the exception.

IMHO, PTree is "current" Prog Rock, while Yes and Gentle Giant remain loyal to the style of Prog Rock from the 1970's. Nothing wrong with that, just means that "Prog Rock" is a moving target, and by definition of the very term, is always progressing and morphing. If it doesn't progress, it isn't really Progressive Rock, is it?

And to ask a current band to sound like Peter Gabriel era Genesis, which even PG has moved well away from, is anathema to me. (Actually, I quite like Anathema the band...)

You don't have to like it just because it is tagged with the same label as other music you like. There is lots of death or black metal I like, and lots that is not to my taste. I like a fair amount of classical music, and find some of the 20th century stuff to be quite good, but if I never hear Sir Edward Elgar again, I will not miss it.

Which PTree did you sample, out of interest?

Most of this IMHO, obviously,

shinksma

post #115 of 449 Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Porcupine Tree is not Prog Rock Ã* la Yes, early-Genesis, Gentle Giant, etc. (I would say PG has evolved significantly since his Genesis days, though, just in a different direction from where PTree went.)

PTree is "rock music" that has incorporated various present-day and past influences to create a unique sound.

Chuck Berry was hard-edged rock'n'roll at one time. Now most purveyors of "hard rock" would say even Van Halen is approaching Adult Contemporary, with maybe Eruption being the exception.

IMHO, PTree is "current" Prog Rock, while Yes and Gentle Giant remain loyal to the style of Prog Rock from the 1970's. Nothing wrong with that, just means that "Prog Rock" is a moving target, and by definition of the very term, is always progressing and morphing. If it doesn't progress, it isn't really Progressive Rock, is it?

And to ask a current band to sound like Peter Gabriel era Genesis, which even PG has moved well away from, is anathema to me. (Actually, I quite like Anathema the band...)

You don't have to like it just because it is tagged with the same label as other music you like. There is lots of death or black metal I like, and lots that is not to my taste. I like a fair amount of classical music, and find some of the 20th century stuff to be quite good, but if I never hear Sir Edward Elgar again, I will not miss it.

Which PTree did you sample, out of interest?

Most of this IMHO, obviously,

shinksma

The DVD A is dead wing. It just sounds like all other bands of today like, Dream theater mixed with NIN. It just sounds like all the same stuff over and over again. Metal mixed with prog. The mixes are so sterile, no room sounds all Digital reverbs creating ambience. There is a band that does capture the old sound, plus some newer instrumental techniques, and that is Flower Kings, have you heard any of there music? Like I said in my original post I do not mean to start any arguments we are all entitled to our own opinions.
post #116 of 449 Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The DVD A is dead wing. It just sounds like all other bands of today like, Dream theater mixed with NIN. It just sounds like all the same stuff over and over again. Metal mixed with prog. The mixes are so sterile, no room sounds all Digital reverbs creating ambience. There is a band that does capture the old sound, plus some newer instrumental techniques, and that is Flower Kings, have you heard any of there music? Like I said in my original post I do not mean to start any arguments we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Hey, I don't blame you for your opinions. Not everyone gets PTree, the same way not everyone gets Aerosmith or Marillion, for example. I was just poking fun at the complaint that a modern rock band labeled "progressive" sounds very different from the bands with the same label from over thirty years ago.

I don't get the same impression of the surround mix of Deadwing that you do - I quite enjoy it.

I would agree that PTree's sound is somewhere in the region of a mix of Dream Theater and NIN, but somehow transcends what you might expect or at least what I might expect (and I like NIN a whole lot, and kind of like DT). But that is a very personal opinion, obviously.

As for Flower Kings, I am non-plussed: I just don't seem to appreciate it, I guess. It sounds too similar to 70s-era prog, and while I like 70s era prog, I think the territory has already been very well covered during the original time period, and I'm not interested in current bands exploring it right now. But that is my opinion, and I wouldn't try to convince a fan of the band that they are wrong.

Anyway, back to the topic - I think the remixed surround versions of the KC albums should sound very interesting, since IMHO SW could mix Garth Brooks well in surround.

But that's all IMHO, YMMV obviously,

shinksma

post #117 of 449 Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

this is why Steven is loathe to tag PT with the prog rock label... although they did get stuck with it because they generally defied categorization (when all else fails, they play rock music and they are "progressive"). Early albums (try The Sky Moves Sideways, Up the Downstair) IMO were more proggy than the current metal-tinged incarnation of PT.

Heffe, please dig out your Deadwing DVDA if you didn't get past the first song, at least listen to Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere, Mellotron Scratch and Start of Something Beautiful

Boo!
post #118 of 449 Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

this is why Steven is loathe to tag PT with the prog rock label... although they did get stuck with it because they generally defied categorization (when all else fails, they play rock music and they are "progressive"). Early albums (try The Sky Moves Sideways, Up the Downstair) IMO were more proggy than the current metal-tinged incarnation of PT.

Heffe, please dig out your Deadwing DVDA if you didn't get past the first song, at least listen to Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere, Mellotron Scratch and Start of Something Beautiful

Ok,
I will give it one more chance. I think part of the reason I dont enjoy this music is the sound of the vocals. There is no individuality in there sound. All these bands mentioned sound like they have the same singer Any way I will give it another shot.
post #119 of 449 Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other comment I hope Steve wilson does a better job with KC than he does with Porcupine tree. I do not want to start any arguments here but what is it about this band that everybody likes?? I bought one of there DVD audios, and couldnt get throught the first track!

Well, I suppose like any band, there are people who like PTree music and people who do not. I tend to generally like their stuff, although only Stupid Dream gets regular play on my system. I do not find that Steve Wilson's surround mixes are deficient in any way, so his mixes on the KK albums should be fine. Since you brought them up, I also feel similarly about The Flower Kings - I like a couple of their albums (Stardust You Are, particularly) but find the rest a bit of a mess with far to much filler. IMO.

Although I have no wish to turn this thread into a diatribe on prog, I do find the tendency for prog-ish bands to drift towards a harder edge unfortunate. It does seem to be the trend ('Dream Theaterization of Prog' if you will) and a number of bands have done it (Spock's Beard, PTree, Glass Hammer), to their detriment IMO.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #120 of 449 Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I can't imagine anyone who has never heard PT listen to "Lightbulb Sun" on a good 5.1 system and not think the music, fidelity, and surround mix are not superb! "How is Your Life Today" is a 'perfect' use of surround. "Shesmovedon" is another great demo song for the band and for surround.

Of course, most folks have different tastes in music and that's OK, but when I play these tracks for those who've never heard PT, they are visually amazed.

[Early Adopter]
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page