Sony SEN-R5420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across a Sony setup (HCD-541) w/ the subwoofer (SEN-R5420). The sub has the system power cable and speaker inputs, and connects to the receiver via a "system control" cable. The receiver doesn't work, although it will power on. It lights up, as does the sub, but the display doesn't light up, and tuner and such doesn't work.

Question is can the sub work by itself? It's got the power cord, and an input used to get low level from the receiver, and I'd like to hook it up in place of my under performing Yamaha 6" sub. This thing is a monster, and I hate to get rid of it just because the receiver quit working. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 AM

hi guys. im new here and i just ran across this thread. Im in the same boat as codaic. did anyone ever find an awnser for him? thanx
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Hi,

When I acquired this set (from the dump), it came without the power cable.

I fixed this by soldering out the (sony) connectors and fixing the flatcable directly to the circuitboard.

When I did this I took out the circuitboard to get some room for soldering, this is quite easy to do with easy connectors and all.

I remember there is some text printed next to the pins which tells you a little about their functions.
I recon it's just a matter of shorting a couple of pins just like you'd do in a pc power supply.

You just need to find out which pin activates the relay in the subwoofer.
Maybe it's easy to trace the circuitry, if you find the relay you want.
Maybe you could take some measurements on the connector, there definitely is a standby power supply for the 'standby' led.

I can't really help you at this moment, because I was happy to get it working and didn't really have a good look at it.

If you're still serious about this, maybe you could take some high resolution pictures of the circuitboard and post them up here.
What you want to find is a more or less direct connection from the power butten, thru the flatcable to the relay you hear when you turn the system on or off.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkteun View Post

Hi,When I acquired this set (from the dump), it came without the power cable.
I fixed this by soldering out the (sony) connectors and fixing the flatcable directly to the circuitboard.
When I did this I took out the circuitboard to get some room for soldering, this is quite easy to do with easy connectors and all.
I remember there is some text printed next to the pins which tells you a little about their functions.
I recon it's just a matter of shorting a couple of pins just like you'd do in a pc power supply.
You just need to find out which pin activates the relay in the subwoofer.
Maybe it's easy to trace the circuitry, if you find the relay you want.
Maybe you could take some measurements on the connector, there definitely is a standby power supply for the 'standby' led.
I can't really help you at this moment, because I was happy to get it working and didn't really have a good look at it.
If you're still serious about this, maybe you could take some high resolution pictures of the circuitboard and post them up here.
What you want to find is a more or less direct connection from the power butten, thru the flatcable to the relay you hear when you turn the system on or off.

EDIT: Had more luck searching for this system under the Subwoofers Model # not the SEN-R5420, but the SA-W542 (see added pdf service manuals for the HCD-541 & the SA-W542 Subwoofer. If anyone can figure out how to get the subwoofer to turn on & run without the controller.
The PDF's are too large to attach. Here are the current links:
http://marc.buisset.free.fr/divers/SAW-542.pdf - Subwoofer SEN-R5420
http://marc.buisset.free.fr/divers/HCD-541.pdf - Rack Stereo
----------------------------------------------
This system was a disaster (my father was talked into it new @ worst buy.

One by one various parts developed problems or failed but they couldn't be swapped out, it got put into the garage. After some nagging I took the upper unit into be recycled. But I was hoping I could get the Subwoofer (SEN-5420) to run independently. I should have taken out the relevant parts from that unit but unfortunately I didn't think far enough ahead.

Does anyone know, with just the SEN-5420, what / how it can be put back into service as a stand alone subwoofer.

People referenced the possibility of (without the upper control unit) that it might be possible to pin short the unit to mimmic the power up / on signal.

The unit isn't some hard wood beautiful box, it's blk/grey grained laminated particle board, but it's solid as heck and there are no scratches or blemishes etc. and it would be a great base (no pun intended) for components if I could get the sub working again. Hopefully I can find the pin outs, I hate just randomly trying to just jump pins especially if it's more than two pins. Any help would be wonderful. So far my searching on Google has not come up with what I need.

EDIT #2: thanks to VTECH on ESI forums he posted these blow ups of the pin outs. The first one is the Subwoofer itself, the second two are the HCD-541 Rack system. Looking at the Subwoofer. Is there a way to connect pins temporarily or permanently to get the subwoofer active? And that's a big one. Once that's done, is there a way to wire in some way to vary the power (that was all done on the EQ panel of the HCD-541.
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

did anyone figure this problem out ???...i have the same sub in beatiful condition would love to use it
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Hi

I don't know what the others did, but looking at the schematics the pin I was talking about is the POWER.RY pin. The schematics are unclear about the further use, but my guess is that it's connected to a relay. Most probable is there's one stand-by power pin which allows a latch in the main unit to activate the relay (and thus the amplifier and the rest of the power supply).

You could probably connect a simple, low voltage, switch there or replace the relay with a larger (high voltage/'safe') switch. Or maybe just short the relay and just disconnect at the end of the evening.

Again, I can say more with some good pictures of the circuitry.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Sorry, just saw the complete PDF...

On page 4 of the subwoofer manual, you see the entire schematics of the main and jack board.

Below the transformer is the stand-by-power circuitry. The 4 diodes and the big capacitor (C903) make a simple 'stabilized' power supply. The relay is controlled through a transistor (Q901) and connected through 2 resistors. One (R905/4K7) protects the transistor from the POW/RY pin. The other (R906/47K) makes sure the amplifier doesn't turn on or off by accident by ensuring the charge on the wire can always flow to the ground (pull-down).

Negative: JW119 (DG)
Positive: JW120 (PHASE/CONT)
Relay: JW121 (POW/RY)

Just connect a switch or jumper between PHASE/CONT and POW/RY, everything has been taken care of by the engineers.

Good luck!
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

EDIT: Had more luck searching for this system under the Subwoofers Model # not the SEN-R5420, but the SA-W542 (see added pdf service manuals for the HCD-541 & the SA-W542 Subwoofer. If anyone can figure out how to get the subwoofer to turn on & run without the controller.

The PDF's are too large to attach. Here are the current links:
http://marc.buisset.free.fr/divers/SAW-542.pdf - Subwoofer SEN-R5420
http://marc.buisset.free.fr/divers/HCD-541.pdf - Rack Stereo

This system was a disaster (my father was talked into it new @ worst buy.

One by one various parts developed problems or failed but they couldn't be swapped out, it got put into the garage. After some nagging I took the upper unit into be recycled. But I was hoping I could get the Subwoofer (SEN-5420) to run independently. I should have taken out the relevant parts from that unit but unfortunately I didn't think far enough ahead.

Does anyone know, with just the SEN-5420, what / how it can be put back into service as a stand alone subwoofer.

People referenced the possibility of (without the upper control unit) that it might be possible to pin short the unit to mimmic the power up / on signal.

The unit isn't some hard wood beautiful box, it's blk/grey grained laminated particle board, but it's solid as heck and there are no scratches or blemishes etc. and it would be a great base (no pun intended) for components if I could get the sub working again. Hopefully I can find the pin outs, I hate just randomly trying to just jump pins especially if it's more than two pins. Any help would be wonderful. So far my searching on Google has not come up with what I need.

EDIT #2: thanks to VTECH on ESI forums he posted these blow ups of the pin outs. The first one is the Subwoofer itself, the second two are the HCD-541 Rack system. Looking at the Subwoofer. Is there a way to connect pins temporarily or permanently to get the subwoofer active? And that's a big one. Once that's done, is there a way to wire in some way to vary the power (that was all done on the EQ panel of the HCD-541.
LL

LL

LL
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM

I was wondering if maybe there mite be some other easyer way of explaining this or is there a place of business I can take the box to so maybe they can just wire it for me ? thanks so much
post #10 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Just connect a switch or jumper between PHASE/CONT and POW/RY, everything has been taken care of by the engineers.

Good luck!
post #11 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Does anyone have the 17 pin connector or know where to buy one. Need help. The numbers are sony sen-R5420 please call Jim 702-286-2996
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page