Epos ELS Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody here owns or have heard Epos ELS sub? What's your opinion? I'm basically looking for a nice looking sealed sub for a 2.1 100% music only system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bought the Epos from a friend who got it from Ebay. Here's my short and sweet initial impression:

The sub looks real nice in person. Very small and compact. Blends well with my B&W 602. Not a bad little sub for music but I'm sure it will NOT do well in HT. It started making weird noise when I played Saint-Saenz track from the HSU test CD. Definitely can't handle it. I'm glad that I only paid a fraction of the MSRP.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSetup View Post

I went ahead and bought the Epos from a friend who got it from Ebay. Here's my short and sweet initial impression:

The sub looks real nice in person. Very small and compact. Blends well with my B&W 602. Not a bad little sub for music but I'm sure it will NOT do well in HT. It started making weird noise when I played Saint-Saenz track from the HSU test CD. Definitely can't handle it. I'm glad that I only paid a fraction of the MSRP.

Some subs are perfectly suited for music, congrats on finding such a sub (seriously). Enjoy looking (hearing) your next (new) HT sub. Might I suggest a Hsu or Outlaw or SVS or Ed all for around $400 and up.

Happy hunting
post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

Some subs are perfectly suited for music, congrats on finding such a sub (seriously). Enjoy looking (hearing) your next (new) HT sub. Might I suggest a Hsu or Outlaw or SVS or Ed all for around $400 and up.

Happy hunting

I'll definitely go that route the next time I need another sub. I have 2 older VFT3 on my HT right now and pretty happy with it. With baseball season coming up, my wife will own the HT until October. The Epos should keep me sane until then.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The ELS sub was one of the first good subwoofers I've owned. It was incredibly musical but didn't have the low-end punch I prefer for HT. It's a sealed design and automatically shuts itself down if pushed too hard, needless to say I made it cry uncle a few times . All in all a pretty good sub in a small to medium sized room.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I’m just now beginning to enjoy the Epos after making adjustments. I ended up using the high level inputs on the sub and adjusting the low/high pass filters to 30/90hz. Music sounded better to my ears. However, I have a new dilemma. Somebody is offering me a pair of (almost new) HSU STF1 for a very good price. Will this be better solution? How about placement issues? The only place I can put them is at each end of the same wall.
|---------------------------------------|
| - - FL -----------------------FR- - |

|_sub1______________ sub2_|
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page