AVS Forum banner

Subwoofer/LFE Question

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JBLsound4645 
#1 ·
First of all....total newb when it comes to subwoofers. So forgive me if the following questions/statements are dumb.

For some history, I had an old JBL sub that was purchased around 1999. It died in 2006. JBL said it was a manufacturing defect and replaced my sub with a Northridge (10 inch I believe) model for a very small fee. So I hooked it up to my Sony 777ES with the same Y cable and went on my merry way. (although the sub never really sounded that good...more on that later).

I just purchased a new Onkyo 705 receiver and upgraded all my other speakers to Polks. I also ordered a new subwoofer cable from monoprice because my old one had been chewed by my cat.

So yesterday, I am hooking everything up and notice that my new SW cable is not a Y cable. I then notice on the back of my SW that there is a switch for LFE or Normal. It was switched on the LFE setting.

I have done some reading this morning...and I think I am more confused that educated at this point. On the back of the SW, it states I only need one input for LFE...not the Y cable. I guess that is why my SW never really sounded that good?? I know my new receiver does LFE...so I am assuming I only need the single cable and I should use the LFE setting on my SW? Does it matter which side it is plugged into L/R?

Any help...general advice...anything....will be super helpful! I want this new system to sound as good as possible. I have certainly learned a lot over the past months researching the Onkyo and speakers.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just go from the sub out or LFE out on the back of the AVR to either of the RCA inputs on the back of the sub. You do not need a Y splitter. Keep your sub on LFE, not normal and you should be fine. You would only need a Y splitter if the sub does not turn on and stay on automatically.

#4 ·
Stay with the heritage of JBL mate it’s the best of the best. Sorry to here about you’re last JBL sub, been running my professional JBL 4645 DIY enclosure with JBL 2241 for 9 years now.

Always rehearse new films always because someday a film will come by and take out the sub! If you feel it isn’t up to the task then turn it down and remember always rehearse before showing off!!! If you keep it within its workable technical tolerance levels it should play for many years.

I also run a secondary sub bass Eltax A-12 R 12” this is used only for LCRS sub bass extension.

I also run a very cheap but still very much workable audio mixer with 6 channels of input and two stereo outputs. I’m not using it for basic stereo mixing and only using it to channel the following channels.

Channel 1 summed front left and right

Channel 2 centre channel

Channel 3 summed surround left and right

Channel 6 LFE.1

Channels 1 2 and 3 have the pan pot set to left

Channel 6 has the pan pot set to right

Both channels are then feed to each sub bass left output goes to the Eltax A-12 R while right channel goes to the JBL 4645. You wouldn’t be able to tell which is playing unless you know what the film mix sounded like when LFE.1 isn’t present on the mix.

I can monitor any channel just by turning the off switch above the [pan pot] where there is [line] [-20db] and [mic20db] I’ve been running the mixer with set-up now oh, must be 7 years or so.

The VU meters along with the clipping LED on the Alesis RA300 that drives the LFE.1 well I keep the levels with safe operation. I set each fader at a given level via using [sine wave] tone there is also a master fader level so if I thought the low end is too bass heavy I’ll turn it down. Other than that I, don’t want to overwhelm the rest of the films soundtrack.

You could use six channel mixer and still get away without. In other words you can cut corners without the silly expense! You can feed in the following order if you like.

Channel 1 front left

Channel 2 front centre

Channel 3 front right

Channel 4 left surround

Channel 5 right surround

Channel 6 LFE.1

Reason for this is the basic bass manger is PANTS! Unless you have one of the more expensive types TMH Bass Manager thou I think you may need some way of variably adjusting each channel because this as crossover slopes only from what I can see here, its still a good little black box thou.

http://www.tmhlabs.com/products/products.html

Anyways just pop out and look in the second hand stores for basic six channel or 8 channel mixer and do some re-plugging and remember to have fun.

Then set the pan pots ether in the centre or pan them to one side, but since you have one sub bass it won’t really matter. Use one of the outputs and balance the tones using single sine wave. I use a 100Hz sine wave on my dts demonstration and set-up disc.

Some films tend to really rumble heavily on the surrounds like in Star Trek III the Search for Spock I tend to turn channel 3 down slightly when running that film, it’s on the Genesis planet where this mostly happens.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Don't worry about it iolmaster. JBLSound (or his surname Ashley as he hates to be called) I find rather humerous, although his posts are long winded and most times completely inaccurate (he bases his findings on 80's Prologic gear 99% of the time). Personally i love when he posts, cause it cracks me up when he gets others so riled up when they try and correct him with proper information, and Ashley goes off the deep end.

That would also explain how he managed to get banned from 6 or more A/V sites (I had to stop counting) otherwise I love the guy.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB. /forum/post/13427747

Ashley, he doesnt have a system as complex as yours, a simple RCA cable plugged from his Sub Preout to his sub Pre in and set to LFE and his reciever crossovers set for each channel will be all he needs, please don't confuse the matter.

Oh, speak of the devil its Mathew, LOL do you really think I give a hoot, what mockery you start, LOL hoot, hoot. LOL been while where you been hiding to then underneath that thing called HD-DVD LOL, got many films have you?

Hey be nice now or I’ll stick one these in your ear! LOL

#13 ·
Ashley, I haven't been hiding, I have just been on the sites, that you were banned from.

Yes I have alot of HD-DVD and Bluray movies. I love both formats, sorry to hear that HD-DVD lost the war, but still enjoy both formats and that is what this hobby is about, enjoying all forms of HT.

and Ashley, as long as you don't use a screwdriver to install that critter, I guess I'll be okay (LOL-inside joke)

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmountainbiker /forum/post/13430183

Holy cow . did you see jbl"s theater/bed room lol

Yeah I take it a bit too seriously LOL. Even a buddy of mine last night and his nephew had dropped jaws
to the floor while on MSN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB. /forum/post/13430154

Ashley, I haven't been hiding, I have just been on the sites, that you were banned from.

Yes I have alot of HD-DVD and Bluray movies. I love both formats, sorry to hear that HD-DVD lost the war, but still enjoy both formats and that is what this hobby is about, enjoying all forms of HT.

and Ashley, as long as you don't use a screwdriver to install that critter, I guess I'll be okay (LOL-inside joke)

No I’ll just use a soldering iron instead!
"He put creatures in our, bodies to control our minds."

LOL oh you mean that place that special place called S&V that anyone can just join in matter of minutes. Yeah I was speaking Jomari a few months ago, via friendly pm, now then. What I said to him he may share to others on S&V. personally I don’t give hoot what goes on over there. Just had a quick peek for 5 seconds, then I lost interest, now then.

Well that was marketing shock and within 2 years that’s a world record. Betamax and VHS slugged it for longer than two years.

So you been keeping healthy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.