Repair Subwoofer Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I ordered a new and much better subwoofer because my current Athena AS-P6000 subwoofer broke. The first time it broke warrenty fixed it and said it was the amp (everyone seems to have the same issue with this subwoofer). So it broke again and was out of warranty so I went ahead and bought something bigger and better. Now I am curious on repairing the AS-P6000 subwoofer and how difficult it would be for me to replace/fix the amp for someone that has very limited knowledge of electronics. Also would want to know how much it would cost for needed parts (approximate). The specs on the Athena web site say its power output is "800 watts, 200 watts RMS".

Would very much appreciate the input, guys. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
parts express has all kinds of sub amps and parts.

www.partsexpress.com
post #3 of 4 Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 4 Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend. For a quick and easy fix to my broken AS-6000 subwoofer I decided to attach a new sub amp externally. I got a second hand 150 watt plate amp on E-Bay but the Parts Express SA 240 for $99.00 would be plenty powerful. I then unscrewed the Athena amp and followed the wires to the sub speaker. Then I unhooked the speaker cables from the Athena amp and ran new 16 gauge
speaker wires from the Athena 12 incher out of the front port and screwed the old amp back in. That way I maintained the integrety of the sub box as I didn't have the time or skills to cut open an appropriate hole to fit the new amp. Next I joined the wiring to the new sub amp which will be an "external" amp, put the new amp beside the box, plugged in my subwoofer cable, plugged in the new amp, turned it on, ran some test tones and now have a reclaimed AS-6000 that sounds as good as new. Good luck with your project.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page