Need recommendations on a sub to go with Axiom Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
slimeballzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recall seeing a couple threads that mentioned the Axiom subs were not a good value and would be better off with a different company for a sub like SVS, HSU, etc.

Anyways I'm planning to get the Axiom Epic 50 HT set (minus the sub) and need a sub to match it. If anyone can give their opinions / recommendations that would be great.

Here are my requirements:
Budget: < $800
Size: Sizing similar to EP350 would be nice
Room dimensions: 11.5' x 13.5' x 8'
Primary use: Movies 70%, Gaming 20%, Music 10%
Listening habits: Won't be listening at really high volumes.
Appearance: As long as it doesn't look like junk?
Timeframe: none

Note: I live in Canada so shipping/duty/customs need to be included in my budget.
slimeballzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rijax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is not necessary to "match" a subwoofer to your speakers. Any good quality sub will compliment your Axioms.

Here is a post which may (or may not) help you narrow your choices

Criagsubs rankings

Jack
 

Rijax is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sirquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own 3 Axiom subs and could not be more happy. I have an EP600, which is one of the first to pioneer DSP subs. Also, just purchased 2 of their new EP350v3's, which is a killer sub for the money. In some recent blind AB testing, it did better than a company with 3 letters.

___________
"Don't worry about the future, it is already tomorrow in Australia..."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sirquack is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Member
 
doberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Western KY
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

It is not necessary to "match" a subwoofer to your speakers. Any good quality sub will compliment your Axioms.

Here is a post which may (or may not) help you narrow your choices

Criagsubs rankings

I'm with Jack on this one. Lots of good subs out there for good prices.

I have enjoyed my Axiom M80 and EP500 combo for 3 years. Looking into something new now.
doberry is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
domingos1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeballzz View Post

I recall seeing a couple threads that mentioned the Axiom subs were not a good value and would be better off with a different company for a sub like SVS, HSU, etc.

Anyways I'm planning to get the Axiom Epic 50 HT set (minus the sub) and need a sub to match it. If anyone can give their opinions / recommendations that would be great.

Here are my requirements:
Budget: < $800
Size: Sizing similar to EP350 would be nice
Room dimensions: 11.5' x 13.5' x 8'
Primary use: Movies 70%, Gaming 20%, Music 10%
Listening habits: Won't be listening at really high volumes.
Appearance: As long as it doesn't look like junk?
Timeframe: none

eD A5-350 with LT-550 amp for $715 shipped
domingos1965 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
slimeballzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so the duty/custom and shipping fees need to be included. Is ordering from the US still worthwhile?

I like the free shipping from Axiom so I may consider the EP350 v3 (EP500 is out of my budget). Is it worth the price though?
slimeballzz is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lalakersfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You might also want to look at the SVS PB12-NSD. I know Sonic Boom Audio is a Canadian SVS distributor, so you wouldn't need to worry about all of the duty/custom fees. I'd think that sub would be very capable, especially given your small room and your almost exclusive use of the sub being movies/gaming. I have two PB10-NSD's in a room that's slightly smaller than yours and it absolutely rocks my room. Just thought I'd throw the PB12-NSD out there.
lalakersfan34 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
jakewash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeballzz View Post

Sorry I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so the duty/custom and shipping fees need to be included. Is ordering from the US still worthwhile?

I like the free shipping from Axiom so I may consider the EP350 v3 (EP500 is out of my budget). Is it worth the price though?

I would go with either the Axiom EP350v3 (I have heard it) or the SVS PB12-NSD, which I presently own. The Axiom costs less and does a very admirable job. I would consider the Axiom to be more musical in its presentation, but will still shake the house when required. You can order the Axioms from their factory outlet which saves you 10% and if you order the entire system from the FO you get an extra 5% off, a great deal all around.

Having said that, the PB12-NSD is a great subwoofer too. It hits much harder than the Axiom subs, but I find that to be annoying when listening to music, very hard to get it to blend with the music and not stand out. The extra hard punch it has does make the HT experience something different, as even at quieter volumes, it still shakes the couch; for example the opening scene to LOTR, when the fingers are cut off and the ring finger hits the ground, there is much more of an impact felt with the SVS than the Axiom, but you will end up paying more for the SVS to get that thump.
jakewash is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off