Replacement for JBL L8400P - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have it narrowed down to 3 subs,all around the same price range and power.
1.Velodyne DLS 5000R
2.SVS PB12 NSD/2
3.HSU VTF-3 HO
I am a big JBL fan and have the Studio L series speakers.L890'S front,LC2 center,and L820 surrounds.A great system but the L8400P sub just aint doing it for me.
Not trying to start a subwoofer war here but any suggestion as to which of these subs is the best choice would be appreciated.My room is 12x16 with one 4 foot opening into another room.I know its small and I could go with smaller subs but I want some earth shattering bass with movies and audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The PB12-NSD/2 is discontinued, so unless there's a used one you can pick up somewhere, unfortunately I think that one is out of the running. It's a shame, because I would expect the PB12-NSD/2 to certainly provide "earth shattering bass" in your room. My dual PB10-NSD's sure can in my small room .
post #3 of 21 Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hello, I have the same speakers but 2 L8400Ps, same size room with bigger openings and there is more than enough bass to drown out heavy equipment trenching through rock outside my house. The subs gain controls are at the halfway mark (straight up).
The DIY section has some killer subs though.
post #4 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A great system but the L8400P sub just aint doing it for me

Can you be a little more descriptive ? In what way doesnt it cut it ?
I had two L8400's in the samed sized room (just like bob7145) and thought it was excellant for the money ... a second l8400 was needed though, as one wasnt enough, but two had plenty of spl's, went down to 20 hz or so with help of my room gain and could hit around 108 db. Those 12 inch sealed woofers sounded pretty good too.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=psujohny;13577258]Can you be a little more descriptive ? In what way doesnt it cut it ?
I had two L8400's in the samed sized room (just like bob7145) and thought it was excellant for the money ... a second l8400 was needed though, as one wasnt enough, but two had plenty of spl's, went down to 20 hz or so with help of my room gain and could hit around 108 db. Those 12 inch sealed woofers sounded pretty good too.[/QUOTE

I think it does not reproduce accurate bass for home theater.For music it is ok untill you turn it up to very high levels and I find it seems to have some distortion(I am not an audio expert and maybe this happens with all sealed enclosure subs).I have heard my friends SVS PB12 NSD/2 and that thing made great bass all the way around for 800 dollars I know is a lot to spend on a sub.I thought of getting another L8400P like you guy's but I would rather have just 1 sub in my room that can handle anything I throw at it.I was told the SVS PB12 NSD/2 was discontinued though.The replacement is the PB12 plus 2 at 1000 dollars !!! I am also considering the Velodyne DLS 5000R and the HSU VTF-3 HO.I am a huge JBL fan and I think they need to make a better quality downfiring ported sub for home theater applications.By the way do you guy's run the two subs off the same subwoofer out??
post #6 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, 2 subs off 1 sub out from the receiver using a Y connector. Also using 2 more Ys. 1 for each sub L&R input. Gain set to half way. Receiver levels are flat for the fronts and center with the sub at +4dB
My speakers are set up like this:
890 sub LC2 sub 890
in front of the TV and 4 ft from the wall.
The bass improved significantly over 1 sub in the corner.
Both subs together cost $800 shipped.
At first I thought like you that it wasn't enough or I was expecting more. Contemplated selling it and getting something else but that method never ends and I liked the size and sound of it so I bought another one instead.
Originally I had planned to get 1 of the Rythmik 15" servo sub kits but had a brain fart and started bidding.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Yes, 2 subs off 1 sub out from the receiver using a Y connector. Also using 2 more Ys. 1 for each sub L&R input. Gain set to half way. Receiver levels are flat for the fronts and center with the sub at +4dB
My speakers are set up like this:
890 sub LC2 sub 890
in front of the TV and 4 ft from the wall.
The bass improved significantly over 1 sub in the corner.
Both subs together cost $800 shipped.
At first I thought like you that it wasn't enough or I was expecting more. Contemplated selling it and getting something else but that method never ends and I liked the size and sound of it so I bought another one instead.
Originally I had planned to get 1 of the Rythmik 15" servo sub kits but had a brain fart and started bidding.

Ok here is my HT room.As you can see it is somewhat tight in there and the right front corner has a door and when opened it is about 12" from the right side L890.You can see the L8400 in the far left corner and the L820's to the right and lefft of the sofa.The ideal location is the front left side for a second L8400 but I do not have the space.My grandaughter loves to pose.

post #8 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Gamedog,

Are you using a Y splitter to connect into both the L/AND R sub ins on the L8400 ? Because the L8400 amp is different then most ..it is a dual mono design and you HAVE to use both the L AND R ins ( with a Y splitter ) to get the full power from the l8400 amp
I actually went the opposite way that your considering...I had a single HSU VTF-HO with turbo and wasnt overly thrilled with the performance ( In my smallish 11X15 room ) it had plenty of spl's and went down lower then the l8400's for sure ...But I liked the sound better when I switched to the two sealed L8400's and I much prefered two subs over using one sub ...(just my opinion, and I say up front Im partial to sealed subs).
Ive since moved on to the JL Fathom F112.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's amazing...that little girl managed to be in every picture!

As for the SVS PB12-NSD/2 vs. the PB12-Plus/2, the Plus/2 isn't a "replacement", it's a whole different line.

It sounds like you're looking for a lot of bass impact. I was going to recommend perhaps adding a second L8400, but it sounds like what you really want is a large, ported subwoofer. What does your timeframe look like? If you can afford to wait a while, the AV123 MFW-15 would probably be an exceptional subwoofer for you. The Epik Knight would be another great sub for your situation. I also think even the single SVS PB12-NSD would probably be pretty impressive. You might want to try contacting these companies to see what they would recommend. Good luck.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I see what you mean about wanting 1 sub. I see the flower vase on the sub. I have a 22" monitor on 1 of mine and it never moves.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny View Post

Gamedog,

Are you using a Y splitter to connect into both the L/AND R sub ins on the L8400 ? Because the L8400 amp is different then most ..it is a dual mono design and you HAVE to use both the L AND R ins ( with a Y splitter ) to get the full power from the l8400 amp
I actually went the opposite way that your considering...I had a single HSU VTF-HO with turbo and wasnt overly thrilled with the performance ( In my smallish 11X15 room ) it had plenty of spl's and went down lower then the l8400's for sure ...But I liked the sound better when I switched to the two sealed L8400's and I much prefered two subs over using one sub ...(just my opinion, and I say up front Im partial to sealed subs).
Ive since moved on to the JL Fathom F112.

Definitely make sure you have the Y splitter connected.

Otherwise I would go with another L8400. I had a DLS-5000R. Sure it goes loud, but the L8400 from my experience with it went a tad bit lower and sounded more articulate while doing so.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy View Post

Definitely make sure you have the Y splitter connected.

Otherwise I would go with another L8400. I had a DLS-5000R. Sure it goes loud, but the L8400 from my experience with it went a tad bit lower and sounded more articulate while doing so.

You know I never used the y-splitter that came with the L8400.I just connected the cable to the left-in.I tried the splitter into both R/L and it did make a differance.Thanks guy's.My bad on my last post I stated the ideal place for a second sub would be on the left(where the 1 sub is already).I meant to say on the right near the door.But it will not fit there.And yea my grandaughter is a camera hound.I am leaning towards the SVS PB12 plus 2.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried the splitter into both R/L and it did make a differance.Thanks guy's.

No problem , JBL has recently created an addendum stating to use the Y splitter as a part of the manual. You werent giving the L8400 a fair shake by just using the lfet in. Please post your thoughts after you get a chance to relisten to the sub. I still think you'd be better off at this point just adding another l8400 ( if they can still be had for the low prices ).
post #14 of 21 Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 AM

having both the L and R input does make a significant difference in performance. Tax return came today so my second L8400 will be here next week.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny View Post

No problem , JBL has recently created an addendum stating to use the Y splitter as a part of the manual. You werent giving the L8400 a fair shake by just using the lfet in. Please post your thoughts after you get a chance to relisten to the sub. I still think you'd be better off at this point just adding another l8400 ( if they can still be had for the low prices ).

The differance was quite noticable and I am no audio geek.However I still have the problem of not enough room for the two subs to be on the wall facing the sitting position.I have room only for 1 sub in the far left corner.I
see you had posted on another thread how the JL FATHOM 112 was all you needed but 2500 is a little rich for me for 1 speaker.Since a single L8400 cannot go loud enough for me without distortion I need to find a reasonably priced single sub that can do what I want 1000 usd tops for me.any suggestions ?? HSU,SVS,Velodyne,a JL FATHOM 112 1/2 price
post #16 of 21 Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you have it working better! Also there is a Phase switch on the back next to the LFE switch. You could try flipping that and see if there is more improvement.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

gamedog44,

You can always stack them - literally. Just put the second right on top of the first (sans feet). I run two SVS PB10-NSD's stacked in a corner in my room and it works out great. Of course there are other great subs out there worth looking at. The PB12-Plus/2 would give more slam than two L8400's for HT, but if you like the SQ of the sub you have, stacking might be a viable option. Just a thought.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 AM

Their is NO WAY I would put that flower vase on my l8400. lol Something is wrong...

You may also want to wait awhile and break the sub in. I know this sounds like bs... lol The l8400 takes many hours, weeks to break in. Every owner on this thread will agree that it does get louder and digs deeper after several weeks, even a couple months of playing it, depending upon how loud and often you play it.

One more thing that may help. On my avr I can adjust the db's for each pre out. So for ht, I increased the db output a bit for the sub. My Denon remembers each of the db settings for each configration.

Then again, if youre willing to spend ~$1000 and dont have room for 2 subs... +1 for MFW -15
post #19 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 12
I did setup L8400P in our media room and not hearing much from it. Good thing is my 2113CI Denon receiver is recognizing sub. Previous owner recommended me to connect sub from AVR sub out to either any of Line in ports. Just wondering, Is it necessary to use Y splitter and connect to both the Line ins. Do I need to get Y splitter specifically designed for subs (thicker and expensive). I have one simple Y splitter. Not sure if I can use it. Please help.
Thanks.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

I did setup L8400P in our media room and not hearing much from it. Good thing is my 2113CI Denon receiver is recognizing sub. Previous owner recommended me to connect sub from AVR sub out to either any of Line in ports. Just wondering, Is it necessary to use Y splitter and connect to both the Line ins. Do I need to get Y splitter specifically designed for subs (thicker and expensive). I have one simple Y splitter. Not sure if I can use it. Please help.
Thanks.
Please provide me your feedback about using Y connector with L8400P Sub.
Thanks.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

Thanks.
Tested with simple Y splitter. It works better now. I can here good bass sound from the sub. I am going to use this with Y splitter. Thanks for all the feedback.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page