best subwoofer under 1000 that.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i don't have to wait months to get my hands on. it seems like all the good one are going to be months before i could get my hands on one. i'm impatient and want more bass now. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
First, we need more information.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989316

Life is good.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

budget is a grand for the sub, shipping doesn't have to be included. i do not care about the size but don't have the time to do a DIY job. it's pretty much only for home theatere and occasional video game useage. i don't listen to music at all on the setup. room dimension at 20X15 with open space going into the kitchen. i don't have a corner to load the sub with as the fire place takes up the only corner.
post #4 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I was going to recommend the ACI Titan XL at 1000$, however the room may be a bit too large. At 1700$, the ACI Maestro XL would be a good choice. These are the satin black versions and are on sale at audioc.com

I have had great luck with both the Titan and maestro for excellent quality bass, excellent customer service, etc.

With that said, there are the typical suggestions of HSU HO with the Turbo, the SVS PB-12 Plus, Dual MFW-15 subwoofers from av123 (I see May availability), eD A7S-450, epik Tower.

If you have any questions, you can contact any of these manufactures and they will answer your questions.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 AM

I would consider 2 LFM-1 EX subs from Outlaw for $999.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The HSU 3.3 is on sale right now for 10% off. $729 delivered. You could add the Turbo for almost the price of the 3.3 when it is not on sale. I also like the Outlaw LFM-1EX (pair) on sale for $999 plus shipping. The Outlaw pair will give you placement flexibility that can contribute to smoother response at you listening position.

A pair also gives you the opportunity to try nearfield placement with one of the LFM-1Ex's. If you have never experienced nearfield placement, you don't know what you are missing.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The best subwoofer for HT/games for $1k is the Castle. The wait on it should definetely not be "months" but more like a couple of weeks or a month at most.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

The best subwoofer for HT/games for $1k is the Castle. The wait on it should definetely not be "months" but more like a couple of weeks or a month at most.

I would like to know how much experience you have with nearfield placement? Not only that, how much experience do you have with using two identical subwoofers?

As you are a master of Craigs's subwoofer list, I am sure that you know that dual MFW 15s scored higher than might have been expected. How high do you think that dual Outlaw LFM-1EX's would have scored?

The LFM-1EX had the highest "dollars per DB" rating in the Shootout in Sound & Vision Magazine.

I would not underestimate how good a dual subwoofer system can sound when you place one of the subwofers nearfield. Nearfield placement has to be experienced to be believed. This does not include using your subwoofer without speakers.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

For HT, a Castle has an advantage even over dual mfw-15's in terms of extension. A powerful driver with a really long xmax is important for bottom frequencies. As a master of Craig's subwoofer list, I'd like to point out that Castle scored higher for HT (which is what this person is looking for) than even dual mfw-15s. Is LFM-1EX as good as mfw-15? If so, then thats a good option.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

For HT, a Castle has an advantage even over dual mfw-15's in terms of extension. A powerful driver with a really long xmax is important for bottom frequencies. As a master of Craig's subwoofer list, I'd like to point out that Castle scored higher for HT (which is what this person is looking for) than even dual mfw-15s. Is LFM-1EX as good as mfw-15? If so, then thats a good option.

Apparently you have no useful experience with nearfield placement, I guess Craig did not factor nearfield placement into his ratings. If you knew anything about nearfield placement, you might suggest something else, however, since Craig did not talk about nearfield placement, I guess that is why you are mute on that subject.

There are other Forums where nearfield placement is discussed.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBhuk View Post

I'd like to point out that Castle scored higher for HT (which is what this person is looking for) than even dual mfw-15s.

While dual MFW-15's might not outperform the Castle down low it surely will above 20 hz. Lower distortion and better linearity too.

Mark has mentioned before that the MFW-15 can still hit very decent levels down to 16 hz so it's not a wimpy subwoofer below 20 hz but it won't outperform the Castle in the very bottom end. The vast majority of bass content is not centered at 18 hz but far higher up.

The Castle performed worse for music. It has it's compromises. The fact of the matter is that the Castle scored the same as dual MFW-15's (109 points) and each subwoofer has it's own unique strength's and weaknesses.

--Regards,
post #12 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

so which is better for movie use only. the duals or the castle. i'm ordering something tomorrow but july seems like a long long wait for the duals mfw's.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybarbour View Post

so which is better for movie use only.

A pair of MFW-15's will be able to provide greater clean output above 20 hz and provide a level of slam that the Castle can't muster.

The downside is that the MFW-15 is not tuned as low as the Castle and won't be able to produce the same output levels below 20 hz. I would imagine that dual MFW-15's won't be too far off a single Castle below 20 hz.

However if you value deep bass extension, the Castle will win. If you want accurate bass within the vast majority of program content and want the cleanest and most linear bass above this region (and loudest), dual MFW-15's will be superior.

The thing is, a movie does not simply contain 20 hz content and below. Just remember that if you decide to buy dual MFW-15's, you'll still be able to achieve very high levels below 20 hz but it just won't match the Castle in that respect.

--Regards,
post #14 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If there's a short wait on the castle get it. Mfw looks better may sound better?But by how much?
One maybe enough for you? IMO the difference aren't going to be much unless they are side by side and you take time to listen. I haven't heard either but ime I'm sure most any ID sub will make you happy for HT at your budget. For HT there's rumble and slam in action movies. That's what you want it for? Your other speakers with provide alot of the rest = surrounds,center or fronts for the voices. IMO there's to much critique most subs mentioned you will like IMO. Unless your room is huge you should be fine with either.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

A castle according to the ranking, is as close to dual mfw-15 in music (SQ) as duals are close to it in HT (extension I guess). Since it was ranked higher for HT I assumed that means it has an overall edge in HT application. Pick what's more important for you, and if you wanna wait 1 month or 3 months.
As ironmike said, any ID sub would make you happy but those 2 particular options would make you the happiest.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

If there's a short wait on the castle get it. Mfw looks better may sound better?But by how much?
One maybe enough for you? IMO the difference aren't going to be much unless they are side by side and you take time to listen. I haven't heard either but ime I'm sure most any ID sub will make you happy for HT at your budget. For HT there's rumble and slam in action movies. That's what you want it for? Your other speakers with provide alot of the rest = surrounds,center or fronts for the voices. IMO there's to much critique most subs mentioned you will like IMO. Unless your room is huge you should be fine with either.

Two MFW-15's offer advantages that have been pointed out repeatedly. Perhaps most important 2 (identical) subwoofers allow for smoothing out the response at the listening postition without resorting to the use of outside Equaliztion.

Not only that, with 2 subs the OP can place one nearfield. Nearfield placement is highly underrated (at least by most on this Forum). People who have tried nearfield placement almost always find that it is quite a pleasant surprise. How much output do you think you gain with a subwoofer placed 8, 10, or 12 feet closer to the listening position?

I have tried nearfield placement and it was just great.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just suggesting one. Op doesn't give his room size? One maybe all he needs? I like 4 subs. Every seat is near field to me . One Castle near field maybe all he wants? My point is just by one and be happy.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Two MFW-15's offer advantages that have been pointed out repeatedly. Perhaps most important 2 (identical) subwoofers allow for smoothing out the response at the listening postition without resorting to the use of outside Equaliztion.

Not only that, with 2 subs the OP can place one nearfield. Nearfield placement is highly underrated (at least by most on this Forum). People who have tried nearfield placement almost always find that it is quite a pleasant surprise. How much output do you think you gain with a subwoofer placed 8, 10, or 12 feet closer to the listening position?

I have tried nearfield placement and it was just great.

nearfield isn't an option. won't pass the WAF test with cables running all over the walk way.

BTW, the sitting position is only about 7 feet away from the current sub position which is where the new one will most likely go. i'm probably going to order the castle tomorrow, i want to call them up and see what the wait time is though. i don't really want to wait till july or later to get the sub. that's a lot of movies that i would need to re-watch all over again.
post #19 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybarbour View Post

nearfield isn't an option. won't pass the WAF test with cables running all over the walk way.

BTW, the sitting position is only about 7 feet away from the current sub position which is where the new one will most likely go. i'm probably going to order the castle tomorrow, i want to call them up and see what the wait time is though. i don't really want to wait till july or later to get the sub. that's a lot of movies that i would need to re-watch all over again.

What sub do you currently use and what room size??
post #20 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

What sub do you currently use and what room size??

a velodyne vx10. i think it's pretty weak. the room size is listed above. it's basically 20X15 with vaulted ceilings and it opens into the kitchen at the back.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Vx10 is way to small. I have one it's nice for a small bedroom. I didn't see the room size. I'm sure a castle would make you happy.
post #22 of 23 Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Consider down firing subwoofers for placement. SVS Cylinder subs load up just about anywhere. You can get up and walk around your room and the sound barely changes anywhere. They are under a grand as well.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch View Post

Consider down firing subwoofers for placement. SVS Cylinder subs load up just about anywhere. You can get up and walk around your room and the sound barely changes anywhere. They are under a grand as well.

If the OP didn't want to wait 2 months for a sub to be delivered, I doubt he waited 2 and a half years for your sub recommendation.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page