Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post
but i lack midbass punch. [..] any thoughts?
Whether you're adjusting the EQ by hand or by using automatic mode of the specific EQ, always check the waterfall graph (=decay plot) to see if the room modes have been matched accurately enough. The more uniform the decay, the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
can you explain to me exactly how i can do this? i searched google but still confused on the whole process.

thanks.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post
can you explain to me exactly how i can do this? i searched google but still confused on the whole process.

thanks.
It is easiest with a free measurement program called Room-EQ Wizard (a.k.a REW), which incorporates Cumulative Spectral Decay (="Waterfall" graph) computation from the impulse response. With REW you can also make much more accurate measurements and adjust windowing etc.

You can download the REW here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

If anyone one is interested in manual EQing, a powerful new and low cost option called the MiniDSP.com is $160 shipped. It has more functionality then these other choices, its only missing the auto EQing.

Why do I say more powerful, well because it allows for transfer functions (Bi-Quads) which is the raw filtering formulas behind all these "pre-packaged" solutions.

I've been doing a marathon research session in preparation for adding a Seaton Submersive to my HT. Reading this thread and following up on the information provided has been very helpful.

This MiniDSP seems like quite an interesting possibility for the best inexpensive sub EQ. It is half the cost of an 8033C (especially if you consider the shipping to get an 8033), and has the ability to do up to 68 IIR biquad filters, so it can do pretty much the same kind of correction as an 8033, just without the automatic setup. It seems that the folks at MiniDSP are also cultivating a relationship with the REW folks, which can only be a good thing!

My question is this (as my research hasn't turned this up yet). Does anyone know if there are facilities built into REW to calculate IIR biquad filter factors that may help in taming room response, similar to the kinds of effect one could get from an 8033. Certainly, it would be possible. In effect, the REW/MiniDSP combo could effectively split the duties of analysis/correction.

Certainly I'm not trying to take anything away from the 8033. It seems like an excellent all in one solution, but the prospects of a tweakers dream seems possible in the REW/MiniDSP combo that if there are a few tools to help calculate proper filters, could really make for a robust system.

-Jim Heck
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckheck View Post

My question is this (as my research hasn't turned this up yet). Does anyone know if there are facilities built into REW to calculate IIR biquad filter factors that may help in taming room response, similar to the kinds of effect one could get from an 8033. Certainly, it would be possible. In effect, the REW/MiniDSP combo could effectively split the duties of analysis/correction.

Certainly I'm not trying to take anything away from the 8033. It seems like an excellent all in one solution, but the prospects of a tweakers dream seems possible in the REW/MiniDSP combo that if there are a few tools to help calculate proper filters, could really make for a robust system.

-Jim Heck

Good stuff Jim. Several members have been touting about the mini-Dsp. HTS (home theatre shack) is the place to ask these specific questions about REW, as those guru's are primarily there.

I wish the DSP home page did a better job explaining the input/output set-up for this device. I guess PEQ manipulation is done via a PC. Does this have a X.2 out for dual subs?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I wish the DSP home page did a better job explaining the input/output set-up for this device. I guess PEQ manipulation is done via a PC. Does this have a X.2 out for dual subs?

Indeed it looks like X.2 would be very tractable (this thing is very flexible). Here is a very good article that explains in detail how to do normal PEQ with one of their 2x4 (two input/four output) boards http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subw...e-minidsp-2x4/.

The application described is to do stereo EQ against the mains and sub (focusing on the sub) and use the four outputs to drive the L/R main and one sub. If instead one were to forgo the mains output, and instead use just a single input for the mono LFE/bass channel (or the two inputs if you have two different sub channels upstream) and the two sets of PEQ stages for the two different subs, I think one could do X.2, with separate EQ for each sub, assuming you could measure each individually. You of course would not have the mains in the equation as the article did, but it should fit in the box's capabilities just fine.

Note that this article is focused on normal PEQ. They have a different filter plugin that allows the advanced IIR biquad filters in addition (see here http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...%20plug-in.pdf).

They also have another plugin for 2.1 advanced IIR biquad, but the information link isn't there yet so I don't know exactly what it does.

-Jim
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Good stuff Jim. Several members have been touting about the mini-Dsp. HTS (home theatre shack) is the place to ask these specific questions about REW, as those guru's are primarily there.

Yes I guess I should post the question over at HTS. Will do.

-Jim
Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Now only if they could come up with automated version of MiniDSP for us computer challenged users. Perhaps we should start a different thread for MiniDSP with detailed setup instructions.

Vinod
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Now only if they could come up with automated version of MiniDSP for us computer challenged users. Perhaps we should start a different thread for MiniDSP with detailed setup instructions.

You are describing a SVS EQ 1.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

You are describing a SVS EQ 1.

The as-eq can't even be had USED for less than $400. I think that the SVS as-eq1 is a unique and amazing product; however, $800 is a pretty steep price-tag.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. SVS product is pretty steep for many enthusiasts on small budgets.

Vinod
Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The as-eq can't even be had USED for less than $400. I think that the SVS as-eq1 is a unique and amazing product; however, $800 is a pretty steep price-tag.
Although still a bit high, the SVS AS-EQ1 was on sale for $675 from Black Friday through Christmas or New Years. I almost went for it, but too late now.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

Ordered on mon. 6/14, today is friday 6/18 did not arrive. Everyone was saying fast shipping from Finland. Ordered mine from Simplifi Audio in california. Its not that far from Cali to Wash. Not real happy!

Try ordered and paid for on November 24, 2010. Being told they still haven't received their s units yet but expect them before Christmas.

Called Simplifi Audio on December 22nd only to get an answering machine stating the owner is out of the country for the holidays.

Contacting by email on Jan. 5th to get a response back that Simplifi Audio is in Vegas and will return on Jan. 10th and immediately ship the antimode.

Me having to contact them on the phone on Jan. 11th as no tracking number was present in my email. Then assured that I would have a tracking number by 8pm that evening.

Me sending another email on Jan. 12th at 8pm stating no tracking number was provided.

Email back from Simplifi Audio that The unit shipped on Jan. 12th but tracking info was forgotten at office and will be sent following day. Told that I should have the unit by Thursday or Friday at the latest.

Receiving confirmation of USPS Acceptance in EL CAJON, CA. on Jan. 12th and listed as expected delivery on Friday, Jan. 14th.

Today (Jan. 14th) no delivery was made and the status on USPS has not changed.

BTW, I live in Los Angeles.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I got mine last year from Simplifi Audio and had the same problem. Ordered it then waited. Contacted the owner and got excuses like doing a audio show, out of the office for a few days, etc. Finally got it after two weeks of phone calls. I have 4 Empire subs and they are in pairs co-located in the front and back of the room but at different distances. The Anti mode works just fine with this setup. I had the Audyssey Sub EQ and got a Installer Kit and added the Sub EQ just before the Anti Mode. This was a 100% improvement as far as the overall SQ of my system. The Audyssey chart showed a nice flat output from what the Anti Mode output was. Basically, the Anti Mode does it's thing and sets the 4 subs output as one, then the Audyssey Sub EQ looks at what the Anti Mode had done and sees one sub and sets it's filters for what the Anti Mode had done. Yeh, I know that this is a pricey way to go but I do have 4 subwoofers and now have a nice flat bass output.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Nothing today as well. Considering that tomorrow's Sunday and Monday's MLK day, the frustration continues. Simplifi Audio is far from being a simple transaction.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe somebody needs to contact DSP speaker to inform them so that they can look for more reliable distributor in US. Another seller you can try is Creative Sound Solutions in Canada.

Vinod
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Maybe somebody needs to contact DSP speaker to inform them so that they can look for more reliable distributor in US. Another seller you can try is Creative Sound Solutions in Canada.

Voice of reason. Thank you. I may mention that to Tim come Tuesday.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I got mine last year from Simplifi Audio and had the same problem. Ordered it then waited. Contacted the owner and got excuses like doing a audio show, out of the office for a few days, etc. Finally got it after two weeks of phone calls. I have 4 Empire subs and they are in pairs co-located in the front and back of the room but at different distances. The Anti mode works just fine with this setup. I had the Audyssey Sub EQ and got a Installer Kit and added the Sub EQ just before the Anti Mode. This was a 100% improvement as far as the overall SQ of my system. The Audyssey chart showed a nice flat output from what the Anti Mode output was. Basically, the Anti Mode does it's thing and sets the 4 subs output as one, then the Audyssey Sub EQ looks at what the Anti Mode had done and sees one sub and sets it's filters for what the Anti Mode had done. Yeh, I know that this is a pricey way to go but I do have 4 subwoofers and now have a nice flat bass output.

Hey buddy. I know we have discussed this topic many times, in regards to 1 antimode doing a great job on your 4 empires. I did not realize you had Audyssey Sub EQ in the mix! So, you still have 1 universal distance/delay setting going to all 4 subs??

Yes, that is quite an expensive sub tune set-up!! I think I would only have the budget for one or the other. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Hey buddy. I know we have discussed this topic many times, in regards to 1 antimode doing a great job on your 4 empires. I did not realize you had Audyssey Sub EQ in the mix! So, you still have 1 universal distance/delay setting going to all 4 subs??

Yes, that is quite an expensive sub tune set-up!! I think I would only have the budget for one or the other. Thoughts?

I just added the Audyssey Sub EQ last week to the mix. Audyssey thinks that there is one sub in the room as the Anti Mode commbines all four of the sub outputs to one. Time and delay sounds to me just fine. Audyssey does set the subs flatter then the Anti Mode as per the Audyssey charts before and after. For the $$$, The Anti Mode is the way to go. To get a flat output from your sub(s), then Audyssey is the way to go. I had the Audyssey Sub EQ from last year and never used it since I went with Pio SC=37. Just decided to try it with the Anti Mode to see what it would do. Love what the whole combo does for my HT SQ.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM

The antimode came in today...finally! I really have to say, after all the rig-a-ma-roll, this little unit is WORTH it. Complete breeze to set-up. I thought my bass sounded good (epik legend)....but now it's really good!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktheyank View Post

The antimode came in today...finally! I really have to say, after all the rig-a-ma-roll, this little unit is WORTH it. Complete breeze to set-up. I thought my bass sounded good (epik legend)....but now it's really good!

Congratulations. The Antimode made my decent bass to great bass.

Noticed the other day that if I leaned forward one foot, most of my bass disappears. This sub EQing is a tricky bastard. That's OK since I'm always in the sweet spot.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

Noticed the other day that if I leaned forward one foot, most of my bass disappears. This sub EQing is a tricky bastard. That's OK since I'm always in the sweet spot.

That's why Audyssey EQs for a listening area. You have a one person HT?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

Congratulations. The Antimode made my decent bass to great bass.

Did you try taking one calibration at the sweet spot and another down by the floor in the closest corner as stated in the manual?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEL79 View Post

The output of 8033 can be converted easily to balanced XLR as it has both 0 and 180 outputs, but the input not so straightforward. For that function, we need to wait for the "Anti-Mode 2.2 Pro", the EQ that handles 2.2 system with DSP cross-over, or alternatively 4 subwoofers individually.

Any word yet on an Anti-Mode that can handle 2 subs....like what was described above.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

That's why Audyssey EQs for a listening area. You have a one person HT?

Yes, 99.9% of the time.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktheyank View Post

Did you try taking one calibration at the sweet spot and another down by the floor in the closest corner as stated in the manual?

No, because of post #1646.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Any word yet on an Anti-Mode that can handle 2 subs....like what was described above.
Still needs more groundwork, like the feature list etc. It is also considered that it could make a DSP cross-over and bass-correction to the main channels too, but without sampling them at all "pure analog approach" (except for the low freq. which kind of would be sampled in the process), only the correction filter bands are sampled (anti-phasing approach).
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEL79 View Post

Still needs more groundwork, like the feature list etc. It is also considered that it could make a DSP cross-over and bass-correction to the main channels too, but without sampling them at all "pure analog approach" (except for the low freq. which kind of would be sampled in the process), only the correction filter bands are sampled (anti-phasing approach).

That sounds like a winner--please keep us posted.

Dave

Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guy's,
I just got my new pioneer 1120 with MCACC and after calibration my sub has a little to much boom. When adjusting the volume on sub or receiver it's ever to low or ton much boom. So was thinking about getting a SMS-1 or Antimode to help control the boom from the sub. Which one should I get to help me with this small problem. My sub is a 15" velodyne ct150.

Tags
Room Equilizer Wizard Rew