Official REL Subwoofer thread... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 793 Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never mind, got an answer. (Thanks Dave!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 793 Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM

I am looking for some advice on a subwoofer set-up for my home theater / listening room.

The room is 16 x 20 x 9 = 2,880.

My system set up will be a Pioneer SC-27 with two wall mounted Vienna Acoustics Waltz speakers, with a Theatro center (may switch to a Maestro) and two Martin Logan Helos 100 in-ceiling speakers.

Magnolia is recommending an REL T-1 for the subwoofer.

I don't really care that much about thundering bass for movies, but I do care about good musicality and substantial bass presence for music or movie scores which integrates well with the Vienna Acoustics speakers.

Will an REL T-1 be "enough" and if not, what do you recommend?

Also, I found a used REL-305 available for sale for a bit less than a new T-1. Looking at the specs it appears to support 10MHz lower frequencies, has a class D amp, and no passive radiator, and retails for $400-500 more, but I'm not clear on what this means for sound???

Thanks
post #273 of 793 Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 PM

If anyone has a view on this, it would be very much appreciated.
post #274 of 793 Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM

BestBuy near my home is offering a Rel T2 display item at discount. Since it's a display item, there's nothing to come with it.

Where do you think I can buy the Neutrik Speakon cable? How much would it cost?
post #275 of 793 Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinMe View Post

I am looking for some advice on a subwoofer set-up for my home theater / listening room.

The room is 16 x 20 x 9 = 2,880.

My system set up will be a Pioneer SC-27 with two wall mounted Vienna Acoustics Waltz speakers, with a Theatro center (may switch to a Maestro) and two Martin Logan Helos 100 in-ceiling speakers.

Magnolia is recommending an REL T-1 for the subwoofer.

I don't really care that much about thundering bass for movies, but I do care about good musicality and substantial bass presence for music or movie scores which integrates well with the Vienna Acoustics speakers.

Will an REL T-1 be "enough" and if not, what do you recommend?

Also, I found a used REL-305 available for sale for a bit less than a new T-1. Looking at the specs it appears to support 10MHz lower frequencies, has a class D amp, and no passive radiator, and retails for $400-500 more, but I'm not clear on what this means for sound???

Thanks

The T1 will have more overall output thanks to more radiating area, but the R305 will be more accurate. You have a rather large room so the layout and performance tastes will also determine what sub you prefer. The advantage of the new T1 may be that if you find that it isn't quite what you like, you could return it for something further up the food chain. Have you looked at a R505 or a B3?
post #276 of 793 Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverandone View Post

BestBuy near my home is offering a Rel T2 display item at discount. Since it's a display item, there's nothing to come with it.

Where do you think I can buy the Neutrik Speakon cable? How much would it cost?

I've seen them in the $60-$90 for a basic one and they can cost a few hundred for the more elaborate offerings. I have a few extras that are new for sale if you can't find a convenient source for one.
post #277 of 793 Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's some more detailed information on the new G1:

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/prod_g1.htm

Owners manual: http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/manua...anualFINAL.pdf
post #278 of 793 Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 PM

kwkshift- thanks for the input on the T-1, I'll give it a shot and like you say, possibly upgrade if there are any issues.
post #279 of 793 Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Hey there REL owners, London Audio has come through for you.
As REL is returning to London audio after a time, though short, has seemd too long. And in celebration we are pairing to musical giants in one massive air moving evening.
London Audio is proud to present a SONUS FABER / REL EVENT NIGHT.
November 19, 2010 6PM -9PM We will be offing a chance to listen to a REL Gibraltar, throwing alongside a pair of Stradivari Homage(subject to change) Sonus Faber speakers. If you haven't heard these magnificent speakers, or the the seismic activity that the REL Gibraltar produces, come on in.

LONDON AUDIO NOVEMBER 19, 2010 6PM - 9PM

londonaudio.com

- London Audio
post #280 of 793 Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Hi, I just purchased a new receiver (Yamaha RX-A2000) and went to hook up all of my stuff just to find that my sub, a Klipsch Sub-10 is done. Klipsch wants $120 to fix it and since I work at BBY part time I figured I might as well buy something new and upgrade. I was looking at the REL T-3. My understanding was that RELs were more geared towards music than movies. However, I did a demo comparing the REL T-3 to a DefTech Supercube III. In the opening scene of the first Transformers movie though both sounded good, I would say that with the REL you could feel more if that makes sense. That bass that you feel when you're watching in the theaters was what this felt like much more so than the DefTech. I wasn't planning on this purchase but I was just wondering everyones thoughts on using a REL T-3 for about 90% home theater use? What would be the benefits/detriments compared to just buying the same Klipsch 10" I had before. Sorry for being wordy but any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #281 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Folks, please help me. I'm getting very annoying "subsonic rumble" or "rattle" when playing some CDs. The sub is Rel b2, it's two months old, and it's my first sub. Is it normal or there is some defect? Please advise. Thank you very much!
post #282 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

Folks, please help me. I'm getting very annoying "subsonic rumble" or "rattle" when playing some CDs. The sub is Rel b2, it's two months old, and it's my first sub. Is it normal or there is some defect? Please advise. Thank you very much!

Not sure what your system configuration is, but for 2ch listening, I recommend using only the high level/Neutrik connection. Perhaps you also have the line level/RCA input connected as well. If that's the case, make sure your preamp/processor/AVR is NOT creating a mono sub signal w/your music. Hope this leads you in the right direction...
post #283 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Hi Ed, it's a 2ch configuration, and I'm using HL Neutrik connection. I don't do HT.
post #284 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

Hi Ed, it's a 2ch configuration, and I'm using HL Neutrik connection. I don't do HT.

What frequency do you have the high level crossed? Have you played with the sub's volume level?
post #285 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What speakers are you using with your B2? What are the crossover and volume settings?
post #286 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwoo View Post

What frequency do you have the high level crossed? Have you played with the sub's volume level?

I set it at 30hz. I tried to regulate the volume level, but when the rumble is there it does not help. BTW, that rattle is not always there, only with particular CDs. My speakers are Acoustic Zen Adagios (30hz-30khz).
post #287 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM

My usual volume setting is 10-11 o'clock.
post #288 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Depending upon room placement of your mains and the B2, you may need to set the crossover setting lower than 30Hz. You could very easily have some sort of double-bass peak occuring in the 30Hz+ area.
post #289 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Thanks for your help. If nothing helps, is it possible that the sub is defective?
post #290 of 793 Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have you asked your dealer for assistance? If it is in fact defective, they may be able to help you out.
post #291 of 793 Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post

Have you asked your dealer for assistance? If it is in fact defective, they may be able to help you out.

No, I have not. Somehow I wanted to believe that if it's defective the rumble should be on every CD. I guess it's not the case. I'll ask on other forums if anyone had this problem, then I'll contact the dealer, which is a drag, because I bought it online. Thank you very much.
post #292 of 793 Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

How does this new T-5 compare to the T-3. From reading about it they almost make it appear that it is a superior sub.
post #293 of 793 Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM

Hi I live in Tucson and I am really looking into buying a REL sub to go with my T65 PSB speakers and my denon 2808ci. You have a store in PHX that sales REL? What would you recommend?
post #294 of 793 Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandermason View Post

Hi I live in Tucson and I am really looking into buying a REL sub to go with my T65 PSB speakers and my denon 2808ci. You have a store in PHX that sales REL? What would you recommend?

Welcome to the forum. I can help you narrow down your choices...

What is the primary use of your system? For example, is this a 2-channel system for music, only?

If so, what type of music do you prefer?

Do you know the approx. size of your room?

Do you have a budget in mind?
post #295 of 793 Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM

I bought a pair of Vienna Acoustics (VA) Mozart Grand as front speakers, a pair of VA Bach Grand as rears, a VA Theatro as center for my HT setup. And I am looking for a subwoofer now.

Someone at Vienna Acoustics Forum recommends me two T-3 subs, rather than a single T-2. What do you think of this recommendation, please?

Any other ideas, please? My budget for sub is under $1,000.

By the way, where is the best place to shop REL subs?

Thank you very much in advance!

Michael
post #296 of 793 Old 12-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhryu View Post

I bought a pair of Vienna Acoustics (VA) Mozart Grand as front speakers, a pair of VA Bach Grand as rears, a VA Theatro as center for my HT setup. And I am looking for a subwoofer now.

Someone at Vienna Acoustics Forum recommends me two T-3 subs, rather than a single T-2. What do you think of this recommendation, please?

Michael

Those are nice speakers, Michael. They seem to reach pretty low (32-35Hz), too.

I first started with one T-3 paired w/B&W 685 bookshelves, which made a remarkable difference w/the low end support. The 685s are rated down to around 50Hz, so I crossed the T-3 to about 60-65Hz. I couldn't detect any frequency gaps and was immensely satisified...until the upgrade bug bit!

I purchased a second T-3 and now connected the two in a mono configuration (one plays the L & the other plays the R channel). My little bookshelves are just astounding with the support of the subs. REL's Neutrik connection integrates the sub w/your speakers really well because it allows the subs to play exactly what your speakers are playing, albeit below whatever you cross it at. Apart from BK subwoofers (bkelec.com), I don't know of any other subwoofer that can use both high level (Neutrik) & low level (LFE) connections (and I don't know why) simultaneously.

The T-3's 8" woofer is fast, deep, responsive, and very musical. I use them for LFE as well, although I don't have a huge listening area. Of course if you want to go deeper and louder, there's always the T-2/T-1 and the R Series.

I'm very satisfied w/my T-3s. If the bass from a single T-3 already wasn't localized, my dual T-3s in mono have all but disappeared, practically turning my two-way bookshelves into full-range speakers.

A buddy of mine just picked up a T-1 from Magnolia/Best Buy to match his Paradigm Studio 20 bookshelves and I think his thirst for low end support for his speakers is pretty much quenched.

Have you heard the RELs at all, Micheal? You should audition them. Chances are you'd get the best deal from your local hifi shop rather than from a big box retailer like Magnolia/Best Buy. At current prices, you can get a T-1 for under $1k, definitely a T-2 under $1k and I wouldn't be surprised if two T-3s can be had for under $1k. Happy listening!
post #297 of 793 Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhryu View Post

Michael

Michael,

For your given budget, you could go with a single T-1. It will play lower than a pair of T-3's. Depending on room placement options, a pair of subs, say two T-3's could yield a smoother response, but dual subs can be quite challenging to integrate. Plus, a pair of T-3's would be about $1200 which is over your budget.
post #298 of 793 Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 AM

Thank you very much for thoughtful responses. I do appreciate invaluable insights.

I spoke to a Sumiko representative earlier today. He convinced me that two T5s would be the way to go. So I will drive up to San Francisco to check T5 out tomorrow morning. Will let you know how my audition goes.

Any last minute tip/suggestion as to two T5s setup with my VA speakers, please? Anyone had experience with T5 at all?
post #299 of 793 Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not yet. The T5 is just being released so it's a new unit. They sure do look nice, though!
post #300 of 793 Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There don't seem to be many REL owners here..

Anyway, I am a proud owner of a REL B1 and a QuakeII (Quake got replaced by the B1 and is now playing in a HT setup in another room).

The B1 is hooked up to my 2.1 system with the HI level connection. My current main speakers are the Dynaudio BM6P studio monitors (will replace them soon with something better).

I own the B1 for a year now and I am still fiddling with the controls and placement to get the best bass extension, but I don't seem to get much below 30hz in my room. Moving the B1 around didn't make much difference. Well, at least I can still dream of ever hearing the claimed, ground shaking 13hz if I move to another house someday ;-)

The B1 does sound amazing for the frequencies I CAN hear
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rel , Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page