Official REL Subwoofer thread... - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 851 Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I did not know this. I just always was told differently. Of course the last time I looked at 15"+ was in the early 80's. I knew like Punch car audio. That's probably why I fell victim to that myth. I do not know a lot of stuff about AV equipment so please bear with me. My opinion on Rel was not based on the quality but rather the dissection of a splendid company. Which of course may also not hold true. To be honest I got upset because sumiko was rude to me.
I was wondering why some of you guys have multiples of the same equipment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 851 Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
I did not know this. I just always was told differently. Of course the last time I looked at 15"+ was in the early 80's. I knew like Punch car audio. That's probably why I fell victim to that myth. I do not know a lot of stuff about AV equipment so please bear with me. My opinion on Rel was not based on the quality but rather the dissection of a splendid company. Which of course may also not hold true. To be honest I got upset because sumiko was rude to me.
I was wondering why some of you guys have multiples of the same equipment?
The quality of the Rel sub isn't a particular issue, if you're thinking of longevity and aesthetics. As far as performance....they're not as good as a lot of other choices IMO. Nothing to do with the company, few audio products are made by their founders (altho in sub world guys like Mark Seaton, Jeff Permanian, Dave Gage and Nathan Funk can still be dealt with directly and with their own offerings). Rel I think has been resting on some dubious laurels for too long (no matter who the current owner of the brand is)...I'd much rather use my diy subs than anything Rel offers.
post #843 of 851 Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM

This ML is of course much more formidable than the tiny rel. However I have it turned way down. I am not sure it is appropriate for me. I listen to music in here. I do not want pounding just lower end reinforcement. It will certainly do that but the volume is less than 1/4. In that regard I am not sure if I have purchased "too much" sub for my needs. Granted it is not the best sub either but I feel it is better than what I had in here. I am sure if that is not due solely to sheer power rather than quality though. I was just wondering what you would get say under 4 grand. I am not capable of building one. I saw that Hawaii home theater thread. It is amazing non tradesman can do stuff like that. I couldn't even begin to build a sub. I assure you of that. So, having to purchase one did I make a good decision? I apologize that this is the Rel thread. I would certainly consider Rel but you just said it is not all that. Just not sure I made the right purchase. Happy with the sound but I am not really sure I am using it's potential. I am sorry I do not know about this stuff please bear with me.
post #844 of 851 Old 03-15-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
This ML is of course much more formidable than the tiny rel. However I have it turned way down. I am not sure it is appropriate for me. I listen to music in here. I do not want pounding just lower end reinforcement. It will certainly do that but the volume is less than 1/4. In that regard I am not sure if I have purchased "too much" sub for my needs. Granted it is not the best sub either but I feel it is better than what I had in here. I am sure if that is not due solely to sheer power rather than quality though. I was just wondering what you would get say under 4 grand. I am not capable of building one. I saw that Hawaii home theater thread. It is amazing non tradesman can do stuff like that. I couldn't even begin to build a sub. I assure you of that. So, having to purchase one did I make a good decision? I apologize that this is the Rel thread. I would certainly consider Rel but you just said it is not all that. Just not sure I made the right purchase. Happy with the sound but I am not really sure I am using it's potential. I am sorry I do not know about this stuff please bear with me.
Once properly calibrated and integrated the position of the gain adustment on the sub is irrelevant and doesn't indicate much of anything except that your line in has sufficient voltage to drive the sub amp.
post #845 of 851 Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 AM

good to know. thank you. I thought I was wasting it's potential. i do not know much about AV.
post #846 of 851 Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 AM

Okay, more problems. I thought this was over. I feel wireless sucks. I cannot have a front firing sub with a cloth grill because our cats will make quick work of it. So i am back to limitations of a 10" square cube. I know no sub that size will do much but my speakers go very low. i just want some light reinforcement so it should suffice.

Here is a question. In fact I may have asked before. Many people say the q108 MKII is comparable if not better to the T5I. It certainly has better specs. It really does have no problem hitting 20Hz but I really only need it to go to 35Hz. Of course according To Sumiko the T5I is vastly superior to the Q108MKII. What do you guys think?
I do not care about made in china at this point just want a better sub. Plus I have a large investment in a speakon cable. You are free to recommend other brands however, but in a 10" cube I am not geting much any way you cut it.

There is MJ Acoustics and I could probably stretch to their 11". I imagine their quotes of 13HZ is at -10DB but that is fine. I was wondering why MJ is so much more expensive in the US than it is in the UK? I could just order from the UK and there is no VAT then either.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend now that I am back to that tiny size and must be down firing sealed box. No radiators either. As I said I only need to hit 35HZ so it should be doable. Would you recommend I just keep the Q108MKII? Strange thing is Sumiko says the T5I is much faster and more musical. Reviews of the Q108MKII always say it is amazingly fast and very musical. I see many people are still using it.

I am stumped due to tiny size limit. I hope you guys have some suggestions or if it is not even worth bothering to replace something that size so long as it is working.

Thank you and I apologize this has been such an ordeal. I just want the best tiny sub I can get barring I already have it!
post #847 of 851 Old 04-18-2016, 04:38 AM

I just wanted to tell you guys Rel bassline blue cable is worth the money even thoughit does not look like much. Much better than Kimber's option. I took it home to try. It is still not a better sub woffer of course. If you have one of the beter Rel's it would be worth the money for sure. MD has it for $449 regular price is $650.
post #848 of 851 Old 04-29-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question rel fault?

Hi,

I have a REL T9 Sub and the neutrik speakon socket and plug were 'frozen' together and this apparently got smashed in transit!

I removed the broken socket and I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive.

In the mean time I decided to use the RCA input instead; "BUT!" ~ every time I switch it on now the 3.15A 250V clear glass fuse blows!

Would this happen because the speakon socket has been removed, the socket has a trailing cable with a small white plug on the end which push fits onto the circuit board, obviously to remove the socket I had to unplug it from the circuit board first; i.e. that socket doesn't have anything plugged into it at the moment; would this cause the fuse to blow?

I don't know if it was working OK before the socket was removed because I have only just bought the Sub.

Many thanks in advance!
post #849 of 851 Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 PM

For that money you should absolutely get a replacement sub Imo! Too bad you don't have the speakon though because I found aftermarket speakon cables make a nice difference anyways. I am telling you I would seriously not accept that for what you paid but up to you. You do not want to just put on a new speakon they send you if that is what I think you mean.. Get a new sub bro! It could be all messed up you don't even know.

On that note we here were simply amazed to find we had to go up to the S3 to steadily best the old Q108MKII. I know others will disagree but you need to A/B them before you speak on this subject. It is nicer but twice the size and cost 2 grand USD.
post #850 of 851 Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 AM

I am sure this will not go over big here. i listened to all their latest offerings and was not impressed. when Mr. lord owned the company it was revolutionary. Made in China has but two issues. reliability and overall quality. I would not purchase a $4,500 Gibraltar made in china. that is absurd to me. Manufacturer is just saying we cut costs. this is why your Speakon came off. this is why many people have had a Gibraltar catastrophically fail in less than 6 months. this was traded to sumiko and then traded to some company now calling themselves Rel acoustics again. Still made in china and suffering from qc issues. Plus the earlier offerings easily trump the new ones in sound quality. they were simply higher quality units. i have 15+ year old Rel's still working fine. It is a shame everyone sold out to china but such is the global economy now. I would honestly stay away from these and look at Rythmik or Svs. unless you buy an older used one. The used one being 15+ years old is likely to last another 20 years whereas the new ones may fail in months. there have been reports of failures across the board with these. sure it now has piano lacquer finish. That looks like orange peel. All but the Gibraltar have a class D amp to boot. I am just very unimpressed with these. I base that on sound quality because I have not enjoyed the opportunity to have one of the Chinese ones fail. Feel free to defend them but I personally will not touch the new ones with a ten foot pole.It is a shame when this happens but it is the norm now. there are still quality US and UK companies. I would suggest to go that route while you still can. Before those move production to china as well. I would say if you like Rel the counterpart to the original company would now be MJ acoustics. no secret that they are guys that departed from Rel to basically build the same thing but still in the UK. For now,. the old Rel's and current Mj acoustics are very musical in a two channel system. They are not for HT however. For anyone in the market i suggest to pick up a used one cheap or go the Mj acoustics route which happen to be very expensive in the us but not in the UK I mainly base my feelings on the lack of sound quality in current models but that is just my opinion. Ymmv. . end of rant.
post #851 of 851 Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm VERY happy with my REL's!!!

Yes I said that in plural because I have three. One R-528 in the front left corner of the room so it can take advantage of the room, the other two are T-9's positioned on each side of the sofa. My sofa is about 12" from the back wall which happens to be all mirror. I know thats not a good thing so I positioned a large pillow resting on the back of the sofa leaning against the wall to prevent reflection. I plan to not live in this place for that much longer so room treatment is not an option at this point.

The R-528 is connected with both high level and LFE from my Integra 50.3 AVR. The T-9's are only connected to the LFE. This is because I prefer to listen to music in DIRECT mode (2 channel) as it is supposed to be heard. It took awhile to get the REL adjusted properly, but when I finally got it there, it sounds AMAZING! The R-528 is an outstanding subwoofer and blends beautifully with my Paradigm Signature S2's. The lesson I learned was not to turn the volume up too high on the REL. If you turn it up till you can hear it, chances are it's too high. The crossover can be calculated and adjusted to overlap the cutoff point of the main speakers. It took some time and now it sounds better than ever when I play music. I spent a lot of time playing Chevsky's test CD. Like I said, AMAZING! One thing I will add here is the adjustment of the REL is a constant project between adjusting the crossover and volume ever so slightly. Even to the point of adjusting the knobs between detents. The detents are nice to repeat setting but sometimes they can be a hindrance if you need something in between. Luckily, these allow for such fine tuning.

When I watch a movie and all three subs kick in, OMG! It feels like your in the middle of the scene and when an explosion goes off or any kind of deep base occurs, I can really feel it The REL really digs deep!

I believe in multiple subs, at least three. This way, the listener is immersed in the sound and the subs don't have to work so hard. It sounds and feels more natural. I'm also considering a smaller T-5 for the center channel.

The next addition to my HT will be a better amp as I am looking for a pre owned Anthem A5. I don't think my speakers are giving me all their glory with just the Integra. I bought one at a very good price and when the seller shipped it, FedEx managed to lose it. It's been lost for a month now. I got my money back but I'd rather have the amp so it's back to the classifieds.

Paradigm Signature S2 - front
Paradigm Studio 20 - rear
Paradigm CC-490 - center
REL R-528 / REL T-9 (2 ea)
Integra 50.3 - AVR
Oppo BDP-103 - Blu Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Rel , Subwoofers