How To Connect A Subwoofer To A Receiver 101 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I also have a question. I have an old receiver which does not have an lfe out or pre-outs and I am connecting it to subwoofer that also does not have an LFE port.

I was thinking that the tape out jacks would be effectively the same as pre-outs. Would hooking up the tape-out jacks to the line level inputs of the sub be an effective way to hook up a subwoofer?

The receiver is a Sony STR-AV1070x and the subwoofer is a Polk PSW10 and the application is a small 2.1 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why do so many of today's new subs NOT have a LFE connection. Only Line level and speaker connections. I find it extremely annoying. Is there a reason why ALL sub amps do not have a LFE connection? Is it merely due to cost reduction?
post #63 of 73 Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

How To Connect A Subwoofer To A Receiver

Connecting Your Subwoofer

Just plug the Subwoofer cable into your receiver's Subwoofer Pre-Out and the other end into the left (white) Low Level In (or LFE in) on your sub. Then make sure the power plug is connected to an outlet (hopefully in a surge protector) and you're finished.

Quick Question: On my Pioneer Elite AVR, the subwoofer out is a red RCA jack, so I have a single cable running from that to the matching red RCA input on my sub. This guide is saying it should be run to the white/left RCA jack on the sub. Do the colors matter as long as both ends go into the same color? Or should one be in white and the other end in red?

Thanks
post #64 of 73 Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Liked: 10
I have just purchased the Pioneer VSX-925-K A/v receiver and I have upgraded from a Samsung Home theater in a box and just want to use the speakers until tax return time. The sub-woofer is the only issue of course and it only has LEFT and RIGHT bare speaker wire ports clip style to plug into and the receiver has the RCA Pre-Out plug only.

Is it still possible for me to gain passive sub power through the front left and right speakers if I only have the 2 ports on the back of the sub? Worried that all those wired jammed into those little ports wont work.

Please help if not I will have to return my receiver and I don't really want to do this.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Matthew
post #65 of 73 Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlament View Post
I have just purchased the Pioneer VSX-925-K A/v receiver and I have upgraded from a Samsung Home theater in a box and just want to use the speakers until tax return time. The sub-woofer is the only issue of course and it only has LEFT and RIGHT bare speaker wire ports clip style to plug into and the receiver has the RCA Pre-Out plug only.

Is it still possible for me to gain passive sub power through the front left and right speakers if I only have the 2 ports on the back of the sub? Worried that all those wired jammed into those little ports wont work.

Please help if not I will have to return my receiver and I don't really want to do this.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Matthew
Sorry, but this will probably not work. The pioneer does not have enough power to supply the sub. Also the the speakers from the Samsung are probably
low impedence and will cause the pioneer to overheat and possibly damage
it. You can keep your rcvr and wait for your taxes and get a powered sub
and new speakers. I would not mix any of the Samsung components with the pioneer.
post #66 of 73 Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Question concerning pairs of passive subs.
I have an in ceiling 7.2 and 5.2 speaker setup (two different rooms) with a passive subs for the FR and FL. I don't have any of the components yet, just the speakers, so I am trying to determine what components would give the best price to performance ratio.

Is there an distinct advantage to using a 7.2/5.2 receiver over a 7.1/5.1 receiver and Y-splitter?

What is the best way to set this up with the receiver? From some light reading on the subject I gather the best setup would use a separate 2 channel amp to power the subs?
post #67 of 73 Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 AM

so if i want to connect a powered sub that designed to work with a computer how do i do it? my receiver has a sub woofer out (non powered). the sub that i want to hook up just has the green input audio connection. do they make some kind of adapter or cable that will let me do this...

thanks
longboardluv
post #68 of 73 Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
TBW

I just bought a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer and am hooking it up to an older Pioneer amp that doesn't have a RCA sub connection, and my main Polk Monitor speakers are wired with two wires to each speaker (bi-wired) and I'd prefer not to change that. I do have a speaker selector switch that I use to switch between my indoor speakers and the ones on my deck, and that has open connections on it.

Can I wire my sub into one set of the open selector switch and get the same sub effect of do I need to wire it a different way?
post #69 of 73 Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Hi, I have what is probably a very basic question that you might be able to help me with. I am trying to connect my subwoofer to my amplifier. I have an Ace Bass B1 - 45 Subwoofer which doesn't have any of the modern connections. It is mains powered and the connector at the back is flat and circular and around the size of a UK 5 pence coin. I am trying to connect it to an Onkyo CR-725 Receiver which has a single subwoofer output on the back labelled 'subwoofer pre out'. I sent an email to the subwoofer's manufacturer and got this reply:

" Hi

Attached is the instruction manual for B1-45.
The connector is a standard DIN connector, 5 pin 180˚, but it’s many years since this type was used.
The input signal when used as subwoofer in a modern system shall be connected as follows:
Hot side to pin 1 + 4
Ground side to pin 2.

Best regards "

TBH I have no clue what any of this means. Copying " DIN connector, 5 pin 180˚ " into Amazon I found the following cables:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Male-Phono-Plugs-Screened-Cable/dp/B000L1ODYW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344203717&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Install-Series-Subwoofer-Cable/dp/B000WXJFNS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344205231&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B007OX8D9G/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344206367&sr=8-3-fkmr2

If anyone could help me with which cable to buy and then explain the hot side 1 + 4 pins from the ground side 2 pins I would greatly appreciate it!

All the best

John
post #70 of 73 Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
bump a roonie

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #71 of 73 Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Hi

I have an Onkyo TXNR609 and a Polk RM705, everything  was working fine .

Couple of weeks back i added 2 Tower speaker ( Polk 60's) and since then my receiver stopped sending sound to the subwoofer i can hear the humming sound from subwoofer but its not getting any input from receiver and also tried running Audyssey multiple times still no luck and also when i touch the subwoofer cable tip i can see the sound difference.

I have a powered subwoofer , if i do the daisy chaining to subwoofer and front speaker i can see the sound coming from subwoofer but the towers became low.

can any one please help.

Thanks

Aj.

post #72 of 73 Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
bump

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #73 of 73 Old 05-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 15

I've got my first "real" sub arriving tuesday.. this thread will come in handy!

Are there any specific Phase settings I should be mindful of on my Pioneer receiver with an SVS PB-1000? I believe when I last ran MCACC it set the Phase to Auto

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Component Receivers