Subwoofer input holes left and right (white and red)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On the back of my subwoofer, there are 2 input holes. 1 red and 1 white, on each there is written (left) for the white and (right) for the red. My subwoofer is positioned on my left from my position when I face it, is there a difference if I plug the subwoofer cable in the right hole (red) or the white input (left)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No.

Randy
post #3 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

No.

That's what it looks like:

So I get that the "left" and "right" signs are more for a .2 setup, right?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, I have not seen any receiver that had stereo LFE or Sub outputs. I understand why they put stereo inputs for those with speaker level inputs, but not line level inputs. Mine has the same and I use a Y adapter to connect the single out from the receiver to both inputs on the sub. No real reason other than using both inputs may help the auto on circuit sense the signal better. My auto on has never failed. In your case, you apparently need to press the 'On' on the remote, so it shouldn't matter.

Randy
post #5 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To be honest, I have not seen any receiver that had stereo LFE or Sub outputs. I understand why they put stereo inputs for those with speaker level inputs, but not line level inputs. Mine has the same and I use a Y adapter to connect the single out from the receiver to both inputs on the sub. No real reason other than using both inputs may help the auto on circuit sense the signal better. My auto on has never failed. In your case, you apparently need to press the 'On' on the remote, so it shouldn't matter.

What kind of setup do you have? A .1 setup or .2?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Knight View Post

I have not heard of a true .2 set up. I know some of the new receivers have two sub outputs, but I don't know if they are actually different channels. Even so, you would still only need a single line to each sub. I have yet to see a need for plate amp manufacturers to put L/R line level inputs. The speaker level inputs, which should normally have corresponding outputs, are there mainly for connecting to a stereo only receiver or for people that want to run stereo subs off the mains.

If anyone else know why the plate amps have stereo line level inputs, I'm listening.

Randy
post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

As indicated, there is no such thing as a ".2" setup. Many people use 2 subwoofers, but it is not really ".2", it is simply ".1" with 2 subwoofers, in which case, as also indicated, a single RCA cable would be run to each subwoofer, anyway, and only one of the inputs, R or L, would need to be used at each subwoofer.

If their was a such thing as a ".2" system, with 2 independent and discrete subwoofer outputs, but you only had one sub, then, yes, you would use both inputs, one, R or L, for each of the separate subwoofer outputs.

Also as indicated, you can use a Y-adapter at the subwoofer in order to utilize both inputs, but this is not really necessary.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If anyone else know why the plate amps have stereo line level inputs, I'm listening.

They're there for people who do not have AVRs with dedicated subwoofer outputs, but instead simply have a 2 channel system, such as a stereo pre-amp or stereo receiver. In this case, in order to get both channels of the bass info from a stereo mix to the subwoofer, a R/L connection from the pre-amp's (or receiver's, if it has them) R/L analog pre-outs can be used.

In the good old days, before the advent of AVRs, this is how many people connected their subwoofers. Some people with AVRs still use this connection method in special cases where the user wishes, for whatever reason, to set their receiver up as having NO SUB thereby rerouting the LFE channel into both of their R and L channels along with the bass info from the 2 front channels. In cases where this sort of connection is desired, and the pre-amp outputs are available, and the user has no need to use the high-pass filter that is usually applied to a subwoofer's speaker-level outputs, this connection method is usually preferred over using the speaker level inputs. In the case of this subwoofer, if such a connection was desired, it would be the only route, as this sub has no speaker-level inputs (or outputs).

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Also as indicated, you can use a Y-adapter at the subwoofer in order to utilize both inputs, but this is not really necessary.

I have a 5.1 setup, if I use an Y cable for my subwoofer. Would that enhance the sound of my subwoofer?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

When you use a Y, it splits the signal and puts it on both inputs. The sub will sum the inputs in front of the amp. It is the equivalent of turning up the sub channel output on the receiver. Because it is a stronger input signal, it can assist the auto on feature, that it looks like your sub does not have. So there is no need to use a Y.

Randy
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a 5.1 setup, if I use an Y cable for my subwoofer. Would that enhance the sound of my subwoofer?

NO

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page