Need help with receiver and subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I have a very unique situation. My Onkyo Receiver TX-SR501 will not let me do the speaker test anymore. Also at one tithat does not work either. I know this is an older receiver, but I cannot get sound out of the back speakers. Do you think I need to replace it with a newer model. It does not have HDMI ports either. I am looking at the Onkyo TX SR606. Does anyone have experience with this system?

The other issue I have is, I have a 20 year old bose Accustomas speaker system. 2 front, 2 back, one center and a passive subwoofer. The 2 front speakers go into the sub woofer and then from the subwoofer to the receiver. I have heard systems with powered subwoofers and they are much better. I have been looking at purchasing a powered subwoofer. The old Bose speakers I think were 4 ohm and I think all new speakers are 8 ohm. Can they work together? What do I need to do to hook a powered subwoofer up to my speaker system. One guy said I need to disconnect the front speakers and run them direct to the receiver. Another guy said I need to keep the bose system in tact because the bose subwoofer is used for the midrange and just add a powered sub. I tried the latter case with my old Onkyo receiver and I got no sound out of the powered sub. Not sure if it is a problem with the receiver.

Please help anyway you can.

Thanks,
Dennis the Menace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Opps sorry! the second sentence got messed up somehow. What is was suppose to say was my old receiver will not let me tell it how many speakers I have hooked up to it either.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 AM

If you're going to get a new receiver and a new sub, probably the easiest thing to do would be to get a new pair of front speakers as well. That way you wouldn't have to worry about if they need to be run through the subwoofer or not.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page