After all these years how does the Velodyne CT-150 stack up?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys I was just wondering after almost 7 years with my Velo CT-150 that still works perfect how does it do compared to todays subs? Im sure some of you have had this sub or even still have it. I was thinking of getting something else but not sure what Im looking for since this has been doing great for me.......Im just curious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

wow not one comparison or opinion?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan7170 View Post

Hey guys I was just wondering after almost 7 years with my Velo CT-150 that still works perfect how does it do compared to todays subs? Im sure some of you have had this sub or even still have it. I was thinking of getting something else but not sure what Im looking for since this has been doing great for me.......Im just curious?

The CT 150 is a discontinued model, however, the Velo web site has a place to click for discontinued models. They compare the CT 150 to the Velo DLS 5000R, SPL 1500R, and the SC 15.

Velodyne also compares the "CHT" series to the DLS-5000, SPL 1500R, and the SC 15.

Tom Nousaine tested the CHT 15. It is about number 29 on the list.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm

The issue with these models is that they were designed more for maximum output, rather than maximum extension.

More recent designs, especially from Internet Direct sellers are trying to give you one more octave, (15Hz-30 Hz) with real authority. The lowest priced model from SVS is flat down to 19 Hz.

There was a lot of excitement when a new model from HSU was descibed as being flat to 10 Hz.

Some people want response to single digits, others are much more interested in response from ~30Hz to 80 Hz.

If you decide to spend a fair amount of money you can get something that will give you the octave from 15 Hz to 30 Hz. If you really want a sub that can give you almost two more octaves they are out there.

You almost certainly don't want a $1,600 monster in your room. But, the Epik Conquest is very different than your Velo. The Epik has almost as much output at 8 Hz as your Velo has at 25 Hz. It is the strong extension down to ~10 Hz that puts the Epik Conquest at number 4 on the list.

If you can continue to enjoy what you have, and not get involved in how much more performance is available, you will be in good shape till you really need a new sub. Could be years.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 241
It's still a good sub. I've had a pair for about 7yrs too and both of mine still work perfectly. There is most certainly better out there now for a comparable price to what they costed originally when new. I still use mine. They've been replaced by much more powerful subs, so they now pull duties in my videogame/bar area, 2 channel system. I was going to sell them but it just wasn't worth it.

Overall it's still a solid sub with high output in the music range, but it isn't as good for the HT stuff as the newer subs, since it doesn't have any useable response below 25hz. Something like an MFW-15 or Epik Knight would undoubtedly be more powerful, with more extension and possibly better sounding for music too. Hope that helps.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys I think I can hold off on a sub for now then
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
...always amused when i find threads like this that answer questions I may have, so, sorry for the bounce, but kudos to the OP and responders...

I've got a small room with the 150 doing very little, really (strictly LFE, with DefTech 7100s as mains doing the bulk of any 2ch work). Heck, the volume is between 1 and 2 on the dial! Still, after all these years it continues to do what it should, and do it pretty well.

If/when I get a bigger room, it's good to see what its limitations and strengths are. Anyone else that cares to chime in about their (continued) experience with this model would be appreciated. The Velo holds a special place in my system, it was the first building block to a 'real' system, as I added it to my then home-built speakers. In the last decade or so the system has grown dramatically, but the velodyne's still doing what it is supposed to, if a bit more quietly then it'd like to.

Only thing that had to be done was to replace the power cable with a socket, as my (late) cat decided to chew the fixed cable. And, no, that's not why the cat is dead... but that would make for a good AVS story, no?

post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My CT-150 is still going strong...it is well built and can take a lot of abuse. I purchased mine in a Home Theater Forum group buy back in '98. It's paired with a VTF3-HO. I was quite happy with the 150 but wanted a little more "oomph" below 30hz - so I added the HO.

I can see the 150 in my HT for many years to come...it's a great sub > 30hz.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM

I too have a Velodyne CT-150 ... it quit working, the speaker is ok, but the amp gave out on me ...I've taken it to several repair shops & no one can work on it because Velodyne no longer can send parts to repair it. I'm in Nashville, TN What can you suggest to get it crankin; up again ? Grant at (615) 8240738
post #9 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM

Hello Velodyne CT-150 user......

After reading your question, I felt compelled to send you a note about your question. I have had my CT-150 for over 15 years and would stack it up against any other powered sun in the market. I have owned 12" , and 15" powered subs from Klipsch, a brand which I also like and trust. However, both of my Klipsah speakers have been in for repair (which I have had todo on my own as they apparently do not have their own repair departments), and it has been a real PITA to get done. That, and the overall sound of the CT-150 is not only far more superior, as big as the speaker is, once you find a home for it, you will most likely not be able to detect where it is located in the room. This is a forgotten science in the powered subwoofer world.

Net-net is that while it will likely not last forever (as mine will not), unless you are unhappy with yours, I would plan on keeping it for many, many years!

All the best -
Jim
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page