Looking for a new Powered sub around the $200 mark or less. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey everyone. I am currently looking for the best powered sub I can get for the funds that I have available to me (but then aren't we all).

Here is some background info.

My room size is 10x19 and opens up on the to the hallway and dining room with only a small 4.5 foot spans where I have my TV mounted on the wall.

I currently have an un-powered sub and will be upgrading my receiver to a TX-SR806 which does not support un-powered subs without using a pre-amp. I want to get away form doing that so I can have real power in my sub again.

I have looked for the last few days and have found a couple that seem pretty good. Please give advice if you have heard any of these or know of any better options. Thank you,

The first is PSW-10 form Polk:
"http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222804515&sr=8-2"

The second is the BIC America V-1020.
"http://www.amazon.com/BIC-V1020-Down-Firing-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222804668&sr=1-1"

The third I have been looking at is the Polk Audio PSW-111
"http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Compact-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000P0528U/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222805052&sr=8-30"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HSU Reseach STF-1...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #3 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
save up $50 more and get the BIC H-100. best sub you can buy for that price.

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #4 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would love to get hte H-100 but after adding in shipping it I can't get it cheaper then 280, which is over my current budget right now. :'(

edit- Wait, i lied, Amazon has it for a straight 250.
post #5 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
The eBay sellers will take a $200 offer plus $49 shipping. I think the Amazon seller is the same people, so if you want eBay feedback, there's a way to go.

If you want to stay under $200, the Velodyne VX-10 is a fine choice.

Also, do you need the TX-SR806 receiver? That thing's $800 easy. It's a fine receiver, but can you get away with a cheaper model?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i got it for 250 shipped

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #7 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tulpa -
I already have 4 HDMI devices, I have a PS3 and blu-ray discs so I want to be able to finally be able to hear good DTS-HD and PCM sound on my entire 5.1 setup. I plan to use the additional 2 channels for bi-amp speakers I plan to purchase down the road. Also I love how much cleaner the 806 sounds over the 706 (listened at a local Circuit City in thier Media room.
So as far as I know form everything I have looked at it is the cheapest I can get and still get all that stuff, unless you have a suggestion there as well?
post #8 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Tulpa hit it out of the park on this one and is completely correct. The 806 is a great receiver, but in a setup where your looking for a $200 or under sub it's not the way to go. Check out the Onkyo 606 which has the 4 HDMI inputs you need now and can be picked up for $350ish.

That's a $500 - $600 difference. Add that to your sub budget or split the difference and add $250 to your speaker and $250 to your sub budget. That will put you up in the ED, HSU, SVS, AV123 and Epik category of subs in which the choices mentioned so far can't even be compaired.

Speakers and sub will play a HUGE roll in the performance of a system over receivers, not even close. Go for the upgraded sub, no questions, if ands or butts.

If you find you need more HDMI inputs than the 606 has down the road get an inexpensive splitter or sell it and then upgrade at that time. With the way they keep pumping out and adding features to budget receivers you'll be able to upgrade for next to nothing in a year or two. You'll always be able to get more for less an a receiver later where subs are more stable in their prices.
post #9 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I always recommend people look at the 606 if they're going Blu-Ray. 706 if they need the preouts to an external amp. Basically going for the lowest receiver that has all the features they need and dumping the rest in speakers/sub. No need to blow cash on a receiver that has a cool features sheet but little else helping the sound.

Not really sure why the 806 would be "cleaner" sounding. All those mid/upper level Onkyos start sounding the same to me with the same speakers attached.

post #10 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Not really sure why the 806 would be "cleaner" sounding.

I agree with the previous posters: get a 606 or 706 and up the sub budget to at least $300 or more; this would be a better allocation of funds and a better system overall, IMHO.

The differences the OP heard in the 806 was likely due to speakers, set-up differences in the receivers, the crappy switch boxes they use in the big box stores, or expectation bias (the Burr-Brown DACs must sound better!)

W. Lee Hendrick
post #11 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since I don't have the money until the weekend, There is no harm in taking another look at the receivers again.

As far as speakers go, I am very satisfied with what I have now, for the time being.

I would not at all mind saving money and being able to put it towards a few other things in my HT setup. For example I really could for for some nice wall mounts and possibly start routing speakers cable through the wall.

So lets say I decide to go for a nice sub in the 350-400 dollar mark, any suggestions there?

"the Burr-Brown DACs must sound better!"
The 806 does not have Burr-Brown DACS btw.

It very well could be the switch box for the receiver that caused the sound difference. Hrrmmm *strokes chin*

I think I will go back and ask them to set up the receivers directly to the speakers so I can better decide.
post #12 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

So lets say I decide to go for a nice sub in the 350-400 dollar mark, any suggestions there?

Absolutely! I'll let the sub experts chime in, but the usual suspects would be ed, Hsu, SVS... This pricepoint gets you into the entry level models of the really well respected manfacturers and will give you far more benefit than the receiver upgrade.

Quote:

"the Burr-Brown DACs must sound better!"
The 806 does not have Burr-Brown DACS btw.

My bad; the 805 had BB's and didn't notice Onkyo dropped them for the 806; I guess they had to cut cost somewhere! See, another reason not to get the 806

Quote:

It very well could be the switch box for the receiver that caused the sound difference. Hrrmmm *strokes chin*

I think I will go back and ask them to set up the receivers directly to the speakers so I can better decide.

Definately do so; there are so many variables with receivers though that it's hard to get a fair assesment from a quick listen. I'd recommend hooking each receiver with the same set of speakers and comparing with 2ch music in Pure Audio mode. This will be the most fair and revealing comparision betwen them. Unless you have really demanding speakers, a 606 or 706 should sound very close.

A few years ago, I ran across one switch box which introduced so much phase anomalies the imaging was totally screwed up with any speaker or receiver they tried; everthing sounded diffuse, almost like the speakers were wired out of phase, and yes, I crawled in back to check the wiring! The salesman probably thought I was nuts, but it was obvious to anyone who knows what to listen for that something was seriously wrong with that box; I don't trust those things or the people who set stuff up at CC, BB...

W. Lee Hendrick
post #13 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

imo your best choices at or < $400 are the ED A2-300 and HSU STF 2. Either way you go with those will be a HUGE advantage over the your previous choices.

PS, Parts Express has recently starting stocking the Dayton HSU12 which is based on the HSU VTF-2 MK 3 and designed by Dr HSU. It's within your price range and should be an excellent choice although it's so new I haven't seen any user comments on it.
post #14 of 45 Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM

I thinks its accessories4less that has the refurb Onkyo and Marantz for good prices, could save a few bucks on the receiver that way

Second the eD and HSU, also another sub that you don't hear much about at this price level is Cadence. Search this site and you will find a good write up on it.
post #15 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I think I have made a decision, My original plan was to build and upgrade my speakers for my HT system around my receiver. I have instead decided to build the ultimate speaker setup first then upgrade my receiver as needed. A sound system is only as good as it's speakers after all, right?
After going back to CC and taking a listen to the receivers side by side with the same speakers with CD audio, there was just not a 300USD difference in the receivers. There was some difference of course, just not 300USD worth. Especially after I had them switch speaker sets and heard how much difference a better sub made.

Well here is what I decided:

I am going with the TX-sr606 since I can get it as low as 340 after shipping.

I am going to get the BIC H-100 sub since the next level up is over a 100bux difference and I have other things I want to put it in. Like better speaker mounts and better cabling (and no I am not talking about MONSTER)
post #16 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, the next step up is $65.

Bic is $249 shipped Amazon/eBay, Elemental Designs A2-300 is $315 with free shipping (or shipping in the price, however you look at it.) Don't get me wrong, I have an H-100 (click my sig) and love it, but that $65 gets you a lot. The downside is the wait time, as they build to order.

Just something to think about.

edit: For the record, the A2-300 wasn't that cheap when I bought my Bic (they originally went for $375), otherwise I probably would own one.

post #17 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well dam, I swear I did not see that earlier, oh well. Too late now. Already bought the H-100
post #18 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all right, you're getting a good sub.

post #19 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

so you got the new onk 806, but only want to spend $200 on a sub?
i think some thing is wrong here.
no one else will probably say it so i will.
????????????????????????????????????
post #20 of 45 Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

so you got the new onk 806, but only want to spend $200 on a sub?
i think some thing is wrong here.
no one else will probably say it so i will.
????????????????????????????????????

I guess you don't like to read the entire thread huh?

I was going to get the 806 and needed a quick 200 dollar sub to tide me over till I could get a better one.

If you read the rest of the thread you would have seen I decided to go with the 606, get a higher end sub and upgrade the rest later.

I will keep you guys posted on how I like the the new receiver/sub.

Oh and I went to CC today and one of the managers tried their hardest to tell me the incorrect information about the receivers. So annoying when someone who knows a lot less about a subject then you do tries to act like the expert, but hey they gotta get their sales bonuses i guess.
post #21 of 45 Old 10-02-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Oh and I went to CC today and one of the managers tried their hardest to tell me the incorrect information about the receivers. So annoying when someone who knows a lot less about a subject then you do tries to act like the expert, but hey they gotta get their sales bonuses i guess.

Actually Circuit City went off of commission about 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe the managers get bonuses, but my guess is they're trying like every other American company to stay in business
post #22 of 45 Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you don't like to read the entire thread huh?

I was going to get the 806 and needed a quick 200 dollar sub to tide me over till I could get a better one.

If you read the rest of the thread you would have seen I decided to go with the 606, get a higher end sub and upgrade the rest later.

I will keep you guys posted on how I like the the new receiver/sub.

actually i was reading earlier, then went fishing.
posted later without refreshing page. sorry
post #23 of 45 Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Warlord I was just giving ya sh!t, don't worry.

Dam, I really hate having to wait for packages, even if it is a couple hundred dollars cheaper then buying from the store. *sigh*
post #24 of 45 Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I think I have made a decision, My original plan was to build and upgrade my speakers for my HT system around my receiver. I have instead decided to build the ultimate speaker setup first then upgrade my receiver as needed. A sound system is only as good as it's speakers after all, right?

Good choice; it sounds like a good plan that will give you the best bang-for-the-buck; remember electronics go obsolete far quicker thatn speakers. I'm driving ~$5k worth (not what I paid) of Paradigm Studio Series speakers from a 705. At some point I'll add an amp, and a pre-pro when/if I need more features, but for now I'm extremely happy with the sound, and I guarantee that it sounds far superior to better electronics with cheaper speakers.

W. Lee Hendrick
post #25 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well time to report on how happy I am that I opted for the 606+sub.

First off the 606 sounds great on my speakers, far better then in the store. I was truly amazed how damned good they sound over my old yamaha receiver.

I just got my Sub last night and after about 2 hours of setting it up and finding the right position and volume(I am sure I will still tweak it of course) and I am very happy with it. I really can't believe how much a good sub really ads to a movie. Being able to feel every explosion or heavy footstep of a large troll. WOW!

I can say that I am very happy with my decision in going cheaper and getting the 606 to put more money into the sub. I also decided to upgrade my speaker cables and get better wall mounts for my surround speaker with the extra money.

Now I only have one problem, I am already contemplating upgrading my speakers. Oh well that can wait a while since mine are still relatively new and still sound great.

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice.
post #26 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 04:50 PM

If it turns out you don't like the sub you got, you can...

Get the BIC h-100 for -$200

This is what I did today.

go to live.com
search "bic acoustech h-100"
click the ad link that says YOU MAY GET 20% OFF WITH PAYPAL (sometimes up to 30% off)
do a buy it now for the price of $245.99 with sound_distributors
call sound distributers, tell them you did the live.com deal
they will wave the shipping, since you are paying for it in the BIN price
get back $49 in your paypal 60 days later.

presto.

ps this works for everything on ebay, as long as it is BIN.
post #27 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it turns out you don;t like the sub you got, you can...

go to live.com
click the ad link that says YOU MAY GET 20% OFF WITH PAYPAL (sometimes up to 30% off)

presto.

I already got the BIC h-100 for 249.99 off amazon free ship. Thanks for the advice though.
post #28 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM

you happy with it?
post #29 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very happy with it. Quite a large difference from my tiny little unnpowered sub
post #30 of 45 Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post

If it turns out you don't like the sub you got, you can...

go to live.com

presto.

ps this works for everything on ebay, as long as it is BIN.

I'm confused why this works, but I'm willing to give it a try.

So the link says "you may get 20% off with paypal". Is that the 49$ cash back from Live?

If so, why does sound_distributors also waive the shipping? That means you are essentially saving $100 back ($49 from shipping and $49 cash back).

I am just imagining calling sound_distributors and having them refuse to waive shipping!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page