post #421 of 433 Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I think that would be very cool ... Considering I have the dual TH-SPUDS and dual Captivators, you have the dual DTS-10's, Peter has quad Submersives and will soon add dual Terraform XL's, we have the subs for an interesting comparo.

I'll be happy to settle for hearing your dual (or more) DTS-10's and Peter's Terraform XL's.

Yeah. Wish I could be there. That would be a good little shootout. Keep us up to date if you decide to do this and when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Yeah. Wish I could be there. That would be a good little shootout. Keep us up to date if you decide to do this and when.

Unfortunately, I can't see something like this coming off. Too many logistics snags but I am looking forward to hearing the WilsonL's DTS-10's and Fugueness's Terraform XL's in their natural habitat ... hint hint .
post #423 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
you mean, you don't want me to lug my DTS10's over to your house?

post #424 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

you mean, you don't want me to lug my DTS10's over to your house?

I don't think my home owner's policy covers subsonic destruction.
post #425 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I messed around with my dts-10 today. Decided to turn off my llt and just use the danley. Its crazy how much stuff was shaking around my room with wotw playing even at a low volume. Running around 100 or so db (probably more, who am I kidding) I decided to take off the mesh grille and have a peak inside at the drivers during the pods emerge and ray gun scenes. While my llt driver flexes like crazy the Danley drivers were barely moving even while sending pulse waves all through the room.
post #426 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Liked: 10
my grilles are still off, i should try doing that.
Btw, are you eq'ing your DTS, brandon?
post #427 of 433 Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I was eq'ing it but I just changed orientation of the mouth a bit. I need to re run rew to see what has changed.
post #428 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aside from the fact is it fully assembled, finished sub, one of the nice things about the TH-SPUD is the flexibility of the horn mouth placement. Danley precuts the cabinet with mouth locations on either face or the edge. All you have to do is remove/move the mouth cover. The TH-SPUDS 11" depth is also better suited to under riser or stage placement. All of the buzz about the DTS-10 has left the poor little TH-SPUD on the outside but my guess is that many who are purchasing the DTS-10 would find the TH-SPUD a more flexible unit.

No offense Brandon, but I think your shootout gave the TH-SPUD a bad rap. It was over shadowed by the TH-50 but what sub wouldn't be? The TH-SPUD is position sensitive and even the horn mouth location can make a big difference. I suggest you look back at the begining of this thread and read Ivan, Tom and Mike's statements about the TH-SPUD relative to the DTS-20.

I don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes (but I suppose it does). Regardless, at half the price and considering the output of the DTS-10, it makes a compelling option. I just suggest that some might find the TH-SPUD a better fit.
post #429 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Aside from the fact is it fully assembled, finished sub, one of the nice things about the TH-SPUD is the flexibility of the horn mouth placement. Danley precuts the cabinet with mouth locations on either face or the edge. All you have to do is remove/move the mouth cover. The TH-SPUDS 11" depth is also better suited to under riser or stage placement. All of the buzz about the DTS-10 has left the poor little TH-SPUD on the outside but my guess is that many who are purchasing the DTS-10 would find the TH-SPUD a more flexible unit.

No offense Brandon, but I think your shootout gave the TH-SPUD a bad rap. It was over shadowed by the TH-50 but what sub wouldn't be? The TH-SPUD is position sensitive and even the horn mouth location can make a big difference. I suggest you look back at the begining of this thread and read Ivan, Tom and Mike's statements about the TH-SPUD relative to the DTS-20.

I don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes (but I suppose it does). Regardless, at half the price and considering the output of the DTS-10, it makes a compelling option. I just suggest that some might find the TH-SPUD a better fit.

That is exactly why Danley makes a variety of subs. Different people have different needs (performance and size wise), so there is a choice about what works best for them.

Not everybody needs the extreme output of the DTS10 or the TH50, and the TH SPUD can hide pretty nicely-for those who have to keep the wife happy.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #430 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

That is exactly why Danley makes a variety of subs. Different people have different needs (performance and size wise), so there is a choice about what works best for them.

Not everybody needs the extreme output of the DTS10 or the SH50, and the TH SPUD can hide pretty nicely-for those who have to keep the wife happy.

Well you got me there Ivan, the TH SPUD is really an anemic, easily hidden little sub and was a complete concession to WAF.
post #431 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Well you got me there Ivan, the TH SPUD is really an anemic, easily hidden little sub and was a complete concession to WAF.

No the SPUD's WAF is just one factor. That was NOT the design goal-jsut a side effect.

The design goal was a slim cabinet that would give below 20Hz performance and could tuck away under a couch or against a wall-without taking up much floor space.

I think a lot of people "overlook it" is because of theuse of 8" drivers and they associate the size with typical 8" performance.

As you well know-NOT SO.

A favorite thing we like to do at trade shows is to use a pair of SH100's and a single SPUD and play something with nice deep low end.

Now this is in rooms that are MUCH larger (both in floor space and ceiling height) than any "normal" home theatre and close to the half or more the size of a regular theatre. People are stunned when we say "Folks-that was just 4 8" drivers-TOTAL.

Of course many don't believe us and we have been accused of "tricking or lying", but that is the truth. They just don't want to admit it.

Proper horn loading is your friend.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #432 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

No the SPUD's WAF is just one factor. That was NOT the design goal-jsut a side effect.

The design goal was a slim cabinet that would give below 20Hz performance and could tuck away under a couch or against a wall-without taking up much floor space.

I think a lot of people "overlook it" is because of theuse of 8" drivers and they associate the size with typical 8" performance.

As you well know-NOT SO.

A favorite thing we like to do at trade shows is to use a pair of SH100's and a single SPUD and play something with nice deep low end.

Now this is in rooms that are MUCH larger (both in floor space and ceiling height) than any "normal" home theatre and close to the half or more the size of a regular theatre. People are stunned when we say "Folks-that was just 4 8" drivers-TOTAL.

Of course many don't believe us and we have been accused of "tricking or lying", but that is the truth. They just don't want to admit it.

Proper horn loading is your friend.

That's true Ivan, it has been my experience that 8" is more than adequate even from a WAF perspective.
post #433 of 433 Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

From my LP at 13 feet away. It was over 126 db's, my meter only goes to 126db's. I really want to know what you guys feeland hear, not how loud.

MK which chapter is this scene in? I want to check it out.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page