Hello ALL new to the forum and have a question regarding bass (Subwoofer) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off I am noob to the whole home theater audio scene so take it easy on me.

After reading up on alot of great posts and information about subwoofers, I finally bought a HSU VTF3-MK3 Subwoofer today. This is my 2nd Subwoofer I now own. My first was a Kenwood sub and I don't know the model number or name but the bass on it was boomy. The Kenwood sub I can hear lots of booming but rarely any vibrations or that chest pounding feeling.

The VTF3-MK3 on the other hand was non boomy and so silent I can't hear anything except when it does go off it feels like my ears got plugged up with cotton balls and the house foundation shakes. I'm not getting that punch in the gut feeling or kick in the chest feeling. The movie I tested the VTF3-MK3 sub on was Jurassic Park 3 chapter 5 when the plane crashes in the jungle and Godzilla runs around. My volume knob on the VTF3 sub is set to the 2nd notch up from silent (minimum setting notch). My sub channel is currently set to 0.0db. The lowest is -12.0db and highest is +12.0db. The master volume level is set to -30.0db.

My question is, is this how the VTF3 is supposed to be or did I setup something wrong? My current receiver is a Denon AVR889.

Thanks for reading and your feedbacks.

*Edit- Forgot to mention the entire house is wood tile flooring and the ceiling is about 15 feet high. The living room where the home theater setup is about 20 ft wide and 30 ft long. VTF3 is positioned in right hand corner side firing towards sofa. After sofa is another 15ft opens to kitchen area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You really need to calibrate with an SPL meter. Right now, you just have some gain set for the sub, but that tells us (you) nothing about how it is in relation to the rest of the speakers. I have to set the gain on my receiver to -10 and the gain on my sub to the third marker. As you can see, that means absolutely nothing to you.

Do you have the sub set for Max Extension (one port plugged) or Max Output (no plug)? And where is the Bass Extension switch set? Where is the sub placed in the room? Where is it crossed over at in the Denon? Where is the crossover set on the sub? Is the sub's crossover switch set to IN or OUT? Do you have speakers set to small?

Be sure to read steps 4-6 in the Setup section of the manual, get an SPL meter, use the test tone CD provided with the sub.

Randy
post #3 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Do you have the sub set for Max Extension (one port plugged) or Max Output (no plug)? And where is the comp switch set? Where is the sub set in the room? Where is it crossed over at in the Denon? Where is the crossover set on the sub? Do you have speakers set to small?

Sub is currently set to Max Ext. (one port plugged right side is plugged). Not sure what a comp switch is but the switches are set to Auto on, 18hz, Crossover to Out. Sub is set in corner of living room side firing towards sofas and behind sofas is open space to kitchen area. Denon subwoofer setup in the receiver is set to cross over at 80hz. All speakers are set to small and sub is set to LFE+Main. I have tried LFE only but was getting lesser bass activity for some odd reason.

I guess I'm expecting a kick in the chest feeling everytime the sub goes off but instead getting a kick in the teeth feeling. The sub was brand new wrapped in box nicely from Hsu research. So I think there's nothing wrong with the sub. Is it possible my receiver is not good enough to push this sub? My reiver once again is a Denon avr889/2309 model.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Your receiver is fine, it only sends an un-amplified signal to the sub so that's no problem.

The first thing I would do is remove the port plug and switch it to max output mode. This will give you some of that midbass punch your missing back and will still floor you with low extension.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Your receiver is fine, it only sends an un-amplified signal to the sub so that's no problem.

The first thing I would do is remove the port plug and switch it to max output mode. This will give you some of that midbass punch your missing back and will still floor you with low extension.

That was exactly what I was about to try out next but wanted to try that as a last resort. I just remember Leo from Hsu Research telling me that if I open both ports and don't remember to flip the switch to 25hz from 18hz it could damage my driver. After hearing this, I didn't want to mess around with the port plug and flipping switches unless it was something last to try in the book that I haven't already tried. I'll keep you up to date on what the results are after I try this. Thanks again all for reading and offering suggestions.

I also forgot to mention that my ports (back of sub) are currently facing a wall and about 3 to 5 inches away from the wall. The side firing is facing the couch.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdirty714 View Post

That was exactly what I was about to try out next but wanted to try that as a last resort. I just remember Leo from Hsu Research telling me that if I open both ports and don't remember to flip the switch to 25hz from 18hz it could damage my driver. After hearing this, I didn't want to mess around with the port plug and flipping switches unless it was something last to try in the book that I haven't already tried. I'll keep you up to date on what the results are after I try this. Thanks again all for reading and offering suggestions.

I also forgot to mention that my ports (back of sub) are currently facing a wall and about 3 to 5 inches away from the wall. The side firing is facing the couch.

You should be ok. Try the max output mode.Also you have a very very big room...Maybe adding a second unit will work best if you want more bass...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Well i too know almost nothing of all this lfe business but i do have the same sub with turbo and a large room as well(22x22).I was also less than impressed with my sub so i added a mbm12,that helped but still didnt get the bass i was hoping for.
Then after hundreds of posts i read about room nulls and low and behold i was sitting smack dab in the middle of one,i moved the sub around and moved the sofa up literally one foot from where it was and now ive got tons of bass.
Point is, in my case the room caused me alot of problems(dreaded square)so dont over look sub position or listening position as i think they make more of a difference than what sub your running.

P.S.the one thread that helped me the most was a post about the 38% rule that says your listening position should be 38% of the room length from the front or rear wall,in my case a 22foot room put me 8.5 feet from rear wall.Im sure this wont work for everyone,technically or aesthetically but it made more of a difference in my room than anything else.this was a post by ethan winer btw.Also Pete at Hsu and Dr.Hsu himself will bend over backwards to help you,Hsu tech support is second to none.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Welp I tried unplugging the port for max output and switched the switch in the back of the sub to 25hz from 18hz and still not getting any punch in the chest feeling. I have also tried switching the crossover switch in the back of the sub from OUT to IN but still no difference.

I then put everything back to the way it was which had one port plugged and switching the crossover to OUT and played the BASS test cd given to me.The first Symphony track had weird sound waves. My house felt like there was a copter right above the roof with windows rattling and couches shaking.

I guess I'm just def to low bass because I can feel but cant hear
post #9 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Try moving the sub if different places in the room.
Try different seating positions.
Make sure the sub is calibrated.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Track one on that bass test cd that comes with the Hsu sub has points that approach 16hz. This is a frequence you won't hear, just feel. So yes you are deaf to bass that low haha.

Seriuosly though, it sounds to me like maybe you are use to a cheaper boomy sub. I'm thinking an MBM might be worth looking into for you. Its made to cover that punchy kick you in the chest frequency range.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

My house felt like there was a copter right above the roof with windows rattling and couches shaking.

I guess I'm just def to low bass because I can feel but cant hear

This really makes it sound like you're sitting in a null... Have you tried the things jdeanmc mentioned above?
post #12 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Unless the sub itself is damaged, you don't really need more woofer or MBM.

As others have suggested, move the sub or your couch around first. Also filling out that form on Hsu's website or better yet call Dr Hsu himself. That sub is a monster. It will give you all the bass you will need.

Good luck!
post #13 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdekany View Post

Unless the sub itself is damaged, you don't really need more woofer or MBM.

As others have suggested, move the sub or your couch around first. Also filling out that form on Hsu's website or better yet call Dr Hsu himself. That sub is a monster. It will give you all the bass you will need.

Good luck!

Sub was brand new when I picked it up from factory. I helped the guys from the factory unboxed it and loaded it into my car. Was never a scratch or dent and is still in its mint condition. I don't really think there is anything wrong with it just that it bugs me to know that I haven't set it up correctly to enjoy its max capability. The sub IS a monster as it produces mini earthquakes in the house and it still scares me that the walls will come down or the roof will fall off but I guess I'm expecting loud, boomy noises like the cheaper subs I've grown up with and have been so used to.

Tdekany, if you own a VTF3-MK3, is it capable of making that punch in the chest feeling like the noise of a firework exploding in midair? I want to watch movies with explosion scenes producing this kind of experience. Maybe I'm just expecting something that doesn't exist and from reading what others have posted reviews on this sub makes my mind think it can produce exploding booms like a firework going off on 4th of July.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Sub was brand new when I picked it up from factory. I helped the guys from the factory unboxed it and loaded it into my car. Was never a scratch or dent and is still in its mint condition. I don't really think there is anything wrong with it just that it bugs me to know that I haven't set it up correctly to enjoy its max capability. The sub IS a monster as it produces mini earthquakes in the house and it still scares me that the walls will come down or the roof will fall off but I guess I'm expecting loud, boomy noises like the cheaper subs I've grown up with and have been so used to.

Tdekany, if you own a VTF3-MK3, is it capable of making that punch in the chest feeling like the noise of a firework exploding in midair? I want to watch movies with explosion scenes producing this kind of experience. Maybe I'm just expecting something that doesn't exist and from reading what others have posted reviews on this sub makes my mind think it can produce exploding booms like a firework going off on 4th of July.

Have you tried the 3.3 placed within 4 feet of your listening position? That would be considered nearfield. Some find nearfield placement works well for them.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I own the same sub and YES, it is more than capable of an explosion like you are talking about. How far are you from the HSU facility? Is it possible one of the guys would come out and help you calibrate it in your home? I'm following your thread on the hsu forum also, user name is john. over there.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
First of all, how is this subwoofer connected to your receiver, exactly? Let's make sure you are doing this correctly.

Quote:

All speakers are set to small and sub is set to LFE+Main. I have tried LFE only but was getting lesser bass activity for some odd reason.

If the speakers are set to SMALL, the LFE+Main setting shouldn't affect anything, but I have heard people report that it does, even with the speakers set to SMALL. But you shouldn't need to use that setting. Set it to LFE for now.

And what are your speakers?

Quote:

I have also tried switching the crossover switch in the back of the sub from OUT to IN but still no difference.

When you "try" stuff, you should know why you are trying it. Do you know what that switch does?

If punch is what you are missing and want, run the sub in max. output mode. No ifs ands buts ors or nors.

Does your receiver have autocal/autoEQ capability? If not, proper calibration is imperative. And if it doesn't have autocal/autoEQ, what have you done to adjust the sub's phase?

Try moving it so that it is not firing into the couch. If you can, try to place it along your front wall with the driver facing out into the room.

If, after you move it, set it up for max. output, and calibrate it properly, you are still not happy with the sound then, as others have suggested, your room may just be too large. You may need to get an MBM, which HSU makes, essentially, for your exact complaint.

Quote:

Sub was brand new when I picked it up from factory. I helped the guys from the factory unboxed it and loaded it into my car.

How far away is "the factory"? Maybe someone can come by your place and help you get it set up properly.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #17 of 18 Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Problem is now resolved. The problem was with the dvd player and receiver configurations. Dvd player was configured to send out only Dolby Stereo 2 channel mode. After setting it to HDMI and bitstreams the audio signals are now Dolby 5.1 and makes a helluva difference. The LFE channel is now getting full signal and sends my subwoofer into MONSTER MODE. Also had to turn the Auddysey off and manual configure on the receiver. HULK final fight was bombigity. Probably saw that movie 4 times and watched the final fight 10 times. So far Hulk is probably the best movie up to date in my opinion that has put my Hsu VTF3-MK3 subwoofer to work and made every penny I paid for it worth it.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Problem is now resolved. The problem was with the dvd player and receiver configurations. Dvd player was configured to send out only Dolby Stereo 2 channel mode. After setting it to HDMI and bitstreams the audio signals are now Dolby 5.1 and makes a helluva difference. The LFE channel is now getting full signal and sends my subwoofer into MONSTER MODE. Also had to turn the Auddysey off and manual configure on the receiver. HULK final fight was bombigity. Probably saw that movie 4 times and watched the final fight 10 times. So far Hulk is probably the best movie up to date in my opinion that has put my Hsu VTF3-MK3 subwoofer to work and made every penny I paid for it worth it.

Glad to see that the problem is solved!!!!!!!!

Great sub isn't it?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page