Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 272 Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBas View Post

I am considering this sub and have a couple of questions. Any of the owners have an irregualr open room? Like open to a kitchen or on the 2nd floor that is open to the 1st. If so, how does it sound. I have 2nd story loft that's open to the staircase and overlooks the 1st floor, curious how this sub would sound in such a setup. If you had to do it all over again, would you go the ultra route or is the plus more than enough? Appreciate the feedback.

Like I said in my last post I have a 2200 cubic foot room. It's open on one side to a large kitchen and Den, and the other side is open to a hallway with a bathroom. Master Bedroom and another bedroom. All doors are open. The two openings go to about 1400 square feet. The PC12-Plus does great. I'm sure the PC Ultra would do just fine to, but I can't see getting any better then what I have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 272 Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM

I wanted the PC-Ultra or the Ultra 13 but because I am stationed overseas the weight limit is too much. The largest thing they would ship to me is the PC12-Plus and even then, they had to send it to me in two seperate boxes.

If you have the money to splurge, I would go for the biggest and best. On a side note, I am very happy with my PC12 Plus, and can't wait to run it with my 20-39 Plus with 12.3 driver upgrade. But I still always wonder what the Ultra guys have and wish I could hear it.

Bryan
post #93 of 272 Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeimages View Post

I wanted the PC-Ultra or the Ultra 13 but because I am stationed overseas the weight limit is too much. The largest thing they would ship to me is the PC12-Plus and even then, they had to send it to me in two seperate boxes.

If you have the money to splurge, I would go for the biggest and best. On a side note, I am very happy with my PC12 Plus, and can't wait to run it with my 20-39 Plus with 12.3 driver upgrade. But I still always wonder what the Ultra guys have and wish I could hear it.

Bryan

If your heart is set on the PC ultra it can be shipped in sections also. The housing, the Amp, and the speaker driver.
post #94 of 272 Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Ummmm... I was never told that. I asked for the PC-Ultra and SVS told me I couldn't have it mailed USPS due to weight and size. They do provide other carriers worldwide but it is insanely expensive.

I am assuming the PC Ultra Cylinder and it's box is much larger then the PC12 Plus, therefore they wont ship it USPS.
post #95 of 272 Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM

Here's the PC12-Plus on the left side of the room.

Here's my 20-39 PC Plus awaiting new amp, new 12.3 driver already installed.

Best I could do at angle to show both subs.
post #96 of 272 Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess it all depends on where you're shipping, I have dual Plus/2s in my setup, had them both shipped here to Japan.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #97 of 272 Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeimages View Post

Here's the PC12-Plus on the left side of the room.

Here's my 20-39 PC Plus awaiting new amp, new 12.3 driver already installed.

Best I could do at angle to show both subs.

Is that 20-39 upside down?

Audyssey setup guide
post #98 of 272 Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Yes, I was told to have one upside down to get the best bass effect.

J/K-ing, I just installed the new 12.3 driver upgrade, the amp took a dump but was under warranty, they sent me a new amp but it was the wrong one, so now I am waiting for SVS to send me the correct amp. At the time of ordering the new driver and amp I decided to buy the PC12 Plus.

As of right now, I am very happy with just the PC12 Plus, it sounds great. Now I am curious to how much better it will sound when running two subs.

Where are you in Japan? I was prior Navy Aircrew, I have been to Kadena, Misawa, Atsugi, Yokota, Yokuska, and Tokyo. I also visited Yokohama. Germany is alright, the weather could be better.
post #99 of 272 Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 PM

let us know if you hear any difference between the 12.3 and 12.4
post #100 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 AM

Liked: 12
Well after 1 week of brutally honest email exchanges with Ed from SVS, I went ahead and ordered a PC12-Plus. It's way more than I wanted to spend, original budget was ~$300-500. But within that budget I could not\\would not get a sub I loved. I tried an eD A2-300, it simply was not enough and it had major bottoming -out issues. So it's on it's way back. I know this SVS sub is in a class of it's own compared to the A2-300 and given the fact we were modestly happy (except when it bottomed out which was quite a bit) with the A2-300, we should love the PC12-Plus (at least I hope, else I am done buying ID lol). Given the fact I ordered so late, x-mas is not gonna happen but I am glad I took the time. I compared HSU 3.3, Epik (none are in stock and they have no idea when they will be able to ship more), MFW-15 (people seem to push this sub at you although there have been a lot of issues with the QC lately, not to motion the price is jacked up and shipping is over $100). So taking all this into account and the fact 2 of my coworkers have SVS subs, I just felt more comfortable going with SVS. Forgot to mention these forums of course helped a ton. Anyhow, here's hoping this is the last sub I buy for the next few years

PS I asked SVS this, but no response yet, the PC12-Plus is the 2009 model right, does anyone know if SVS have anything coming down the pike soon? If so... I might wait.
post #101 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Liked: 14
You won't be disappointed! This thing freakin slams in my tiny 1400 cubic foot room Can't wait to add another one when I move!
post #102 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 AM

The PC12 Plus just came out in November. It's the newest Cylinder sub model they have. I don't think you will have to worry about changes for awhile.

Even if they did, you can see how long the 20-39 series ran, SVS provided upgrades to that as well.
post #103 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

I've had my 20-39PCi for about 5yrs. Dealing with SVS is about as good as it gets, great people that are into what they manufacture, better then great customer service, I would buy from again and again, except I have no reason to ever replace this puppy! (wife made the same Water Heater comment when it arrived years ago!) I have mine sitting in the front corner behind my rack, untouched for 5yrs except for the occasional dusting.

From 13.5' away, I measured 122db at the LOTR 10-11hz Ring Drop. (a popular test) My first sub was laughable squeaky HTB unit, I wanted something I would never ever be unhappy with, and I got it. It's the best addition to my theater for fun by a long shot.

When you buy from them, it's best to draw a picture of your intended room, include all windows, openings, furniture etc...everything that can affect sound waves, and include your listening preferences....they will take that all into account and will not try to oversell you.

JET
post #104 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETninja View Post

I've had my 20-39PCi...

...From 13.5' away, I measured 122db at the LOTR 10-11hz Ring Drop. (a popular test)

Sorry, but there's no way you measured 122dB at 11hz with the 20-39 PCi from 13.5' away. Even from 13.5" away, there's no chance you could get 122dB at 11hz (probably not any other frequency either) with that sub. The 20-39 PCi is a great sub, but it has its limits, and those limits are far below 122dB. I'll have to assume that 122dB was a typo.
post #105 of 272 Old 12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, 122db depending on his meter but with all speakers playing and the sub that's would be loud @ 13ft
post #106 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, makes me feel a little more comfortable with my choice. Now the waiting game... I watched the new mummy flick this last weekend, I could only wonder what the PC12-Plus would sound like as I listened to my baby Polk 8" distort to the point where I had to turn it down.

I exchanged e-mails with Ed from SVS for almost a week, I explained the room I was working with along with how poorly the A2-300 performed. He said the minimum he would recommend is the PB-12 NSD. A wise poster or two told me buy more than you will need, so since the PB-12 was the min, I figured I would step up and blow the budget on the PC-12 Plus. That and there was no way I could afford the Ultra. Ed warned me that the -11 to -6 under reference I listen too might be pushing the PC12-Plus to it's limit, but a properly configured setup would not need that kind of volume. I have tiny Polks that take some volume for you to really hear the sound. I guess I could run the Polks hot and the sub a little lower. Not sure, a lot of this stuff is still new to me. Guess that is what these forums are for

Quote:

When you buy from them, it's best to draw a picture of your intended room, include all windows, openings, furniture etc...everything that can affect sound waves, and include your listening preferences....they will take that all into account and will not try to oversell you.

post #107 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone own two of these babies? I was thinking of buying two after the new year. How would it sound? Would it be overkill? My room is 18' long by 13' wide with one opening in the rear. I would place these on either side of my 100" screen. BOth in the corner.

THanks,
post #108 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a discount for 2?If there is ask if you can buy one and get another in a mo for the same price? They you will know if 2 is overkill. But if you have a dedicated room I would just buy 2. Never can have over kill. The open room really suck out the bass. And with 2 subs you don't need to worry about placement as much to get max spl.
post #109 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Sorry, but there's no way you measured 122dB at 11hz with the 20-39 PCi from 13.5' away. Even from 13.5" away, there's no chance you could get 122dB at 11hz (probably not any other frequency either) with that sub. The 20-39 PCi is a great sub, but it has its limits, and those limits are far below 122dB. I'll have to assume that 122dB was a typo.

Ahh! Late night posting! IIRC is was around 110db. This was a popular ref test on Hometheatertalk years ago....just looked and the forum is gone! LOL!

The Sub is corner weighted, JBL Studio Monitors all around, Pioneer VSX-1014, MMCA calibrated, Radio Shack Analog Meter, C weighting, slow response.. I know I have measured over 120db with it before, this is not a big living room. (house is under 1200sq ft) If I can find some notes I'll pass them on, it's been since 2004, this thing just works and I don't think about it!

JET
post #110 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh! Late night posting! IIRC is was around 110db.

That sounds more feasible. Still not at 11hz though. I could see that happening in the 25-30hz range assuming you have good room gain.

Quote:

The Sub is corner weighted, JBL Studio Monitors all around, Pioneer VSX-1014, MMCA calibrated, Radio Shack Analog Meter, C weighting, slow response.. I know I have measured over 120db with it before, this is not a big living room. (house is under 1200sq ft) If I can find some notes I'll pass them on, it's been since 2004, this thing just works and I don't think about it!

You measured 120+dB with your SPL meter C-weighted SLOW? Wow...it's hard for me to fathom that kind of output with a five year old 20-39 PCi. How far away from the sub was the SPL meter? I've had two stacked PB10-NSD's in an 11'x10'x8' room and never measured above 114dB with the SPL meter at the listening position just 5-6 feet from the subs (C-weighted, FAST). I now use an Epik Castle in that room and can probably achieve around 120dB now, but it's a whole different animal than the 20-39 PCi.

At any rate congrats on your sub. I agree with you 100% about SVS's service and products being top notch. Just curious to know how you got those ridiculously high output measurements.
post #111 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM

I am going to have to withdraw myself from this thread... wife told me moments before the PC12-Plus was about to ship to get the Ultra... boxed version. I am still in shock... I guess I have no concerns about output for my room now
post #112 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Congrats bro, if I were stateside, that's what I would be getting. Top of the of the line!
post #113 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I am going to have to withdraw myself from this thread... wife told me moments before the PC12-Plus was about to ship to get the Ultra... boxed version. I am still in shock... I guess I have no concerns about output for my room now

Now tell the truth. She just gave in because she couldn't take you whining, crying, throwing a temper tantrum, and stomping your feet.

Hmmm, I will have to try that myself. Did you threaten to hold your breath until you turned blue, or would that be over the top.

Randy
post #114 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should be a slight improvement over the A2-300 .

What an amazing wife you have. I'm hoping to find a woman like that in the next few years . Enjoy the Ultra - it's quite a sub!
post #115 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 PM

She wanted me to be happy after the A2-300 debacle. That was my first experience buying ID, hopefully the Ultra makes that a distant memory. I am so freaking excited, SVS's website says 150 lbs lol. I am so happy right now
post #116 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback, makes me feel a little more comfortable with my choice. Now the waiting game... I watched the new mummy flick this last weekend, I could only wonder what the PC12-Plus would sound like as I listened to my baby Polk 8" distort to the point where I had to turn it down.

I exchanged e-mails with Ed from SVS for almost a week, I explained the room I was working with along with how poorly the A2-300 performed. He said the minimum he would recommend is the PB-12 NSD. A wise poster or two told me buy more than you will need, so since the PB-12 was the min, I figured I would step up and blow the budget on the PC-12 Plus. That and there was no way I could afford the Ultra. Ed warned me that the -11 to -6 under reference I listen too might be pushing the PC12-Plus to it's limit, but a properly configured setup would not need that kind of volume. I have tiny Polks that take some volume for you to really hear the sound. I guess I could run the Polks hot and the sub a little lower. Not sure, a lot of this stuff is still new to me. Guess that is what these forums are for

Did he really say that? I routinely listen to my movies around -5 to -7 under reference. I thought these subs were supposed to be invincible . I never had any problems with the mighty mouse SB-12Plus. Now, I just got an Ultra. I do not want to hear anyone say listening at -5 is going to be "pushing" my sub.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #117 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Did he really say that? I routinely listen to my movies around -5 to -7 under reference. I thought these subs were supposed to be invincible . I never had any problems with the mighty mouse SB-12Plus. Now, I just got an Ultra. I do not want to hear anyone say listening at -5 is going to be "pushing" my sub.

That's with the Plus. I'm sure Ed is also taking into effect the size of the poster's room, which may (or may not) be a good deal larger than yours. Considering your nearfield placement, you should have no problem getting near reference with your Ultra on all but the most bass-heavy soundtracks.
post #118 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM

That's correct, Ed was referring to the Plus. His statement stemmed from the fact that my HT is in a 2nd story loft, open to the staircase, which is next to another smaller loft, all of which overlook the 1st floor... I know, it's less than ideal, but it's right outside of the bedrooms and has a wet bar so it makes for a nice area to unwind and go to bed after watching a movie, or some TV. As mentioned, I am sure the Plus would have been enough, but now with the Ultra, I shouldn't have any worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

That's with the Plus. I'm sure Ed is also taking into effect the size of the poster's room, which may (or may not) be a good deal larger than yours. Considering your nearfield placement, you should have no problem getting near reference with your Ultra on all but the most bass-heavy soundtracks.

post #119 of 272 Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

She wanted me to be happy after the A2-300 debacle. That was my first experience buying ID, hopefully the Ultra makes that a distant memory. I am so freaking excited, SVS's website says 150 lbs lol. I am so happy right now

But be prepared when she comes home with all the sparkles Well worth it imo nothing worst than spending alot of money and it's not quite enough. Now you have no/less worries.
post #120 of 272 Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 AM

It's hard to put a price on peace of mine, the Plus is one hell of a sub, I think we would have been quite happy with it, as many people are in this thread are. But she, more than I, did not want to leave anything up to chance, so we all but eliminated any doubt whether or not this will be enough sub. The only thing that kind of sucks is that we had a 2k budget to upgrade the HT speakers, now I have to wait until tax time to upgrade the mains... Ascend Sierra-1's anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

But be prepared when she comes home with all the sparkles Well worth it imo nothing worst than spending alot of money and it's not quite enough. Now you have no/less worries.

LOL, She is just as excited as I am, she said she feels like she is getting an x-mas present too.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page