The New SVS PC12-Plus - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 272 Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the advice. I will try to give it a little more time. I have experimented with pushing the sub further away from the wall and used the SPL meter to see if there was any benifits. I decided to leave it close to the wall like most recommend; although, I wonder if it is too close. Here are some pics of the current position:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 272 Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You can also try flipping it so the top is near the wall. You should be getting much more that your perceived 20% improvement over the Velo. The Plus sub can be a beast. It will take some experimentation in placement and set up before you get max performance from your room. Just keep working at it.

Randy
post #213 of 272 Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I just stood the beast upright, and it might have sounded a little better; however, with it being so close to the listener (the port is at ear level @ a close proximity), the bass is MUCH more localized.

I tried playing with the PHASE settings to see if that made a difference. My ears did not find a difference.

I guess the Velo was well positioned and optimally adjusted for the best room response. Maybe I should not be doubting the PC-12+, but giving a little more respect to that little Velodyne DLS-3750. The Velo was surprisingly able to get to sufficient SPLs for the room size. I have to give the PC12+ credit, because it is nice to hear frequencies that the Velo could not even touch.
post #214 of 272 Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone comment on your thoughts of the mid-bass performance and musical capabilities of their PC12?
post #215 of 272 Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Can anyone comment on your thoughts of the mid-bass performance and musical capabilities of their PC12?

I have 2 of these to mate with a Mythos system. The Mythos system is created without a midbass hump to improve clarity, so the PC-12 Pluses were the perfect choice to pick up the slack.

They blend extremely well, and still have enough low bass rumble and POW! to wake the kids.

I like to listen to SACD's as well--these subs are rapid and musical--never bloated. I'm extremely happy with them. Plus, the SVS customer service can't be beat.

Great subs--would buy them over again in a heartbeat!

Good luck!
post #216 of 272 Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks mvp2005fan. I agree that SVS customer service can't be beat! May I ask what system you used to tune these subs? Also, where are they positioned in your room? Honestly, I am debating if I should return my PC12+. I like the SPLs, but in my room I am not getting as dynamic of a sound. I have had great luck with corner loading subs in the past, but it seems to have little effect with the PC12+. This thing is such a beast that it can put out the SPLs no matter where it is positioned in the room; however, I think it sounds...."different".
post #217 of 272 Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

When you move from a sub like the Velodyne you are adding a great deal of low bass.

Over the years there have been many post about the "musical" qualities of subs that roll-off below 30-35 Hz. Lots of people found these subs to be very musical.

Since that time the phenomena has been identified. Somehow the absence of really low bass is interpreted by the brain as being more "musical".

Here is a review of the Velo 5000. While it didn't have the lowest lows, the musical quality was highly praised:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...nd-page11.html
post #218 of 272 Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks mvp2005fan. I agree that SVS customer service can't be beat! May I ask what system you used to tune these subs? Also, where are they positioned in your room? Honestly, I am debating if I should return my PC12+. I like the SPLs, but in my room I am not getting as dynamic of a sound. I have had great luck with corner loading subs in the past, but it seems to have little effect with the PC12+. This thing is such a beast that it can put out the SPLs no matter where it is positioned in the room; however, I think it sounds...."different".

Here is a picture of my system and sub placement: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16818396

I agree with the other posters--the SVS subs are very "tight. You won't hear the sub all the time like some other subs that play higher and boomier.

However, the deep bass comes through when the material calls for it, and part of the impact is due to the fact it hasn't been booming along continuously.

I tuned the subs by hand with an SPL meter. I also run my subs a little "hot" to 78dB (other speakers at 75 dB).
post #219 of 272 Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
After much research and comments from SVS, I plugged the plug and order 2 PC12-Plus (instead of 1 PC13 or PB13 ultra). Now, I do need a Y-splitter from my receiver to the 2 subs. Any good suggestions? I find a Monster one from Amazon selling for ~15 and another one for ~12.. Are those good?
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXAIY...-wl_item-added
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
post #220 of 272 Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Or anyone use the Acoustic Research Y-splitter and any comment? I found one in ebay that sells for $10 and no shipping cost...
post #221 of 272 Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Or anyone use the Acoustic Research Y-splitter and any comment? I found one in ebay that sells for $10 and no shipping cost...

You don't need an expensive Y adapter. Go to Radio Shack and get something like THIS for $4.

Randy
post #222 of 272 Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After much research and comments from SVS, I plugged the plug and order 2 PC12-Plus (instead of 1 PC13 or PB13 ultra). Now, I do need a Y-splitter from my receiver to the 2 subs. Any good suggestions? I find a Monster one from Amazon selling for ~15 and another one for ~12.. Are those good?
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-THXAIY...-wl_item-added
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Congrats on joining the club!

I used this Y adapter from Blue Jeans Cable to go along with the Blue Jeans subwoofer cables.

Is it better than cheaper alternatives? Hard to say--to me the determining factor was what kind of connectors the adapter had since it was interrupting the signal connection. I preferred a good, tight, quality connector that wouldn't introduce noise. That said, I am aware of no evidence that this "Y's" is sonically better than any other.

One tip: you might consider emailing SVS for their tips on setting up dual subwoofers if you haven't done it before--I found them useful. (If you are going to RS, you might also consider picking up an analog SPL meter as well--very handy with dual subs--among other things).
post #223 of 272 Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input!
Yes, I did email SVS and they give me some procedure to setup dual-subs, and I will need an SPL meter to do this....I might as well pick up the Y-splitter as well.
Yes, I am debating if I should spend $2 vs $10 SVS will ship the 5m cable for free so I am all set there. I am also worrying if my y-adapter will be a bottleneck or something if I choose a cheap one. Maybe I should get both and see if there is any difference and I can return it if there is no such difference...
post #224 of 272 Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input!
Yes, I did email SVS and they give me some procedure to setup dual-subs, and I will need an SPL meter to do this....I might as well pick up the Y-splitter as well.
Yes, I am debating if I should spend $2 vs $10 SVS will ship the 5m cable for free so I am all set there. I am also worrying if my y-adapter will be a bottleneck or something if I choose a cheap one. Maybe I should get both and see if there is any difference and I can return it if there is no such difference..

I'd be very interested to know what you find--so much of what I (?we) believe about such things is undoubtably snake oil!
post #225 of 272 Old 12-08-2009, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Thanks for the input!
Yes, I am debating if I should spend $2 vs $10 SVS will ship the 5m cable for free so I am all set there. I am also worrying if my y-adapter will be a bottleneck or something if I choose a cheap one. Maybe I should get both and see if there is any difference and I can return it if there is no such difference...

I bought a rat shack splitter[different from the link above] a long time ago, and it served me well till recently when it somehow started to introduce a hum into my system. It got worse and better if I played with it like twisting it around, which is a clear sign of the problem with the cable not the rest of my gear. I replaced it and the problem went away. I'm no advocate for expensive cables, but I had a couple of problems with RS ones. Monoprice on the other hand been very good so far.

The Hun
post #226 of 272 Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

OK PC12+ family, I finally got REW running and here are my curves comparing my old Vleodyne to my new PC12+. Anyone know if the built in PEQ can help in this situation?

BTW, look at my posts above to see my current situation of dissatisfaction.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17692081
post #227 of 272 Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK PC12+ family, I finally got REW running and here are my curves comparing my old Vleodyne to my new PC12+. Anyone know if the built in PEQ can help in this situation?

BTW, look at my posts above to see my current situation of dissatisfaction.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17692081

Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles.

I've read all the posts and (assuming there is no mechanical issue with your PC12+) suspect that the problem resides in your particular combination of your listening position and sub placement limitations.

Your room has such a dip at 30 Hz that I don't think will be able to get totally fixed with an equalizer alone. Most of the stuff I have read suggest treating the room first (bass traps, etc) before investing in a lot of new equipment.

That said, if you can't move your sub--can you adjust your listening position?

I also wonder if eventually perhaps you might be better off getting 2 small subs (which would allow perhaps more flexible placement) and would perhaps offer a smoother bass response over a wider area. That's part of the reason I ended up with 2 (I have two PC12+ instead of 1 Ultra).

Good luck!
post #228 of 272 Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mvp2005fan, that is some GREAT advice. I really do appreciate you following my situation and for all your help. THANK YOU!

I am pretty much stuck with the seating position and the positioning of the sub; however, I can place a second sub on the other side of the sectional. The only problem is that it opens directly into the kitchen.
post #229 of 272 Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got a Y-splitter (not a cable type, but a gold plated hard connector) from Radio Shack. It actually tug in pretty tight as I have to force it in. i am amazed with this sub and when i was watching Monster Inc and when they blow up the sock, this is the first time I actually fill the "bomb". I demo to everyone and they are all amazed, although my wife keep calling it a trash can Well, this is the best $$ I spent so far on Audio equipment. I had spent $$ on Klipsch RC-62, XF-48 and a Pioneer 21THX.. they can't really compare. Since I am all for home theater, i think a sub do make the MOST difference, especially a PC12+ !!! Well, actually I got 2 Now, after the holidays, i need to start playing around with gain/phase etc.. Fun time!
post #230 of 272 Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, i am wondering if i should plug my amp to my power conditioner (Belkin PV31) or should I plug directly into the wall? I saw that it is 6A maximum per woofer? So, it is about 12A total if i have 2? My power conditioner only fit 15A... what do you guys think?
post #231 of 272 Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I finally got a Y-splitter (not a cable type, but a gold plated hard connector) from Radio Shack. It actually tug in pretty tight as I have to force it in. i am amazed with this sub and when i was watching Monster Inc and when they blow up the sock, this is the first time I actually fill the "bomb". I demo to everyone and they are all amazed, although my wife keep calling it a trash can Well, this is the best $$ I spent so far on Audio equipment. I had spent $$ on Klipsch RC-62, XF-48 and a Pioneer 21THX.. they can't really compare. Since I am all for home theater, i think a sub do make the MOST difference, especially a PC12+ !!! Well, actually I got 2 Now, after the holidays, i need to start playing around with gain/phase etc.. Fun time!

Glad you are enjoying your subs! Welcome to the club. (BTW, tell your wife it's a water heater, not a trash can)

Quote:

BTW, i am wondering if i should plug my amp to my power conditioner (Belkin PV31) or should I plug directly into the wall? I saw that it is 6A maximum per woofer? So, it is about 12A total if i have 2? My power conditioner only fit 15A... what do you guys think?

Although you'd probably get away with it most of the time, since the subs don't drawn full power all the time, you may run into trouble if you are playing at really loud volumes and an especially deep note hits (like the explosion scene you mention). I just have a good surge suppressor that I plug directly into a dedicated home theater outlet I had installed.
post #232 of 272 Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hi,

I'm seriously considering the PC12 Plus. I was originally looking at the PC12 NSD but was told my space might be too large for a NSD. Question...have you found the sub to be capable of getting plenty loud without distorting? I'm looking for a "durable" sub that can get loud and sound good. Ed commented on the sub's durability a few pages back. I was just wondering what others experience has been with the plus.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #233 of 272 Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

Hi,

I'm seriously considering the PC12 Plus. I was originally looking at the PC12 NSD but was told my space might be too large for a NSD. Question...have you found the sub to be capable of getting plenty loud without distorting? I'm looking for a "durable" sub that can get loud and sound good. Ed commented on the sub's durability a few pages back. I was just wondering what others experience has been with the plus.

Funny you should ask--I just have been equalizing my 2 PC-12 Pluses with a Velodyne SMS-1. I was wondering how they would take the various boosts while playing really loud.

I just mashed through the loudest parts of "The Hulk", "Master and Commander" and "Kung Fu Panda". The PC-12 Pluses did break a sweat!
post #234 of 272 Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Funny you should ask--I just have been equalizing my 2 PC-12 Pluses with a Velodyne SMS-1. I was wondering how they would take the various boosts while playing really loud.

I just mashed through the loudest parts of "The Hulk", "Master and Commander" and "Kung Fu Panda". The PC-12 Pluses did break a sweat!

Thanks for sharing! Two Pluses must really sound great. The more and more I learn about SVS subs the more appealing they become.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #235 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Liked: 10
I just ordered the SVS PC12 Plus. Cant wait to get it home and pair it up with my Def Tech speakers. I really hope I made the right choice in getting the PC12 plus over the NSD version.

System:
DT SM 450 (L&R)
DT CLR 2002 (C)
DT BP1.2x (SR)
SVS PC12 Plus
PS3/wii
Sony XBR6 52"
Directv HD

***** Still debating on a receiver to buy. Currently have a Sony (1998) HTIB. Any Suggestion on a receiver? *****
post #236 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Riverest, don't worry as you will have a lot more head-room with the increased out-put. You also have a built in PEQ and option for multiple tuning points, which the NSD does not have.
post #237 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Riverest, don't worry as you will have a lot more head-room with the increased out-put. You also have a built in PEQ and option for multiple tuning points, which the NSD does not have.

Agreed, I have the the PC12-Plus and love it!!!

John
post #238 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post

I just ordered the SVS PC12 Plus. Cant wait to get it home and pair it up with my Def Tech speakers. I really hope I made the right choice in getting the PC12 plus over the NSD version.

System:
DT SM 450 (L&R)
DT CLR 2002 (C)
DT BP1.2x (SR)
SVS PC12 Plus
PS3/wii
Sony XBR6 52"
Directv HD

***** Still debating on a receiver to buy. Currently have a Sony (1998) HTIB. Any Suggestion on a receiver? *****

You made a great choice in the PC12-Plus--I've got two of 'em and they are amazing!

With regards to your second question: what is your budget for your receiver?
post #239 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

You made a great choice in the PC12-Plus--I've got two of 'em and they are amazing!

With regards to your second question: what is your budget for your receiver?

I was looking to spend around $600, but I can extend that to $1000 if the latter will be a better buy. I watch 75%movies and 25% Music.
Thanks
post #240 of 272 Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post

I was looking to spend around $600, but I can extend that to $1000 if the latter will be a better buy. I watch 75%movies and 25% Music.
Thanks

From Accessories4less:

Onkyo TX-SR806 549 plus shipping
Onkyo Tx-SR706 429 plus shipping
Onkyo Tx-Sr607 339 plus shipping
Marantz sr6003 (699) or higher (but they are a little bit higher than your 600 budget)

Accessories4less is a certified reseller of both Onkyo and Marantz so you not only get a factory re-certified product, but a 1 year warranty on it. A brand new Onkyo only has a 2 year warranty so I think its a great trade off. The TX-SR806 would be my pick for you as its the highest priced one and is THX Ultra2 certified. It will hammer any speakers you have and has a very decent amount of connections.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page