Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2112 Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

No white noise here. Try using another cable or outlet.

Mine too is as quiet as can be. Not a peep except when I want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2112 Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Unplug the cable and tell us if it continues to make the white noise.
post #363 of 2112 Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Goat View Post

Unplug the cable and tell us if it continues to make the white noise.

I unplugged the sub from my receiver. Noise still there. Then I plugged into a rather inexpensive (only one I could get my hands on tonight) surge protector on a different plug. Noise still there. I then flipped the switch in the back to off. Noise is gone. Thirty seconds later the sub noise kicks back on. Light on the back is still red?? What the heck? I then flipped the switch to on, and a second buzzing sound starts up. These combined sounds are what I hear waiting for it to shut down. So I flipped the switch to standby, and after about thirty seconds the second buzzing stops but the initial sound (a softer buzz, but still there) is still on. Several minutes later it kicks off. Thirty seconds later- yup it kicks back on.

--I think its going back

I asked my wife and kids to listen and in the quite room, they could both hear it softly buzzing from the couch eight feet away.
post #364 of 2112 Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry to hear Angry. If you heard it 8feet way, that annoying. I thought it was like a few inches away.
post #365 of 2112 Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Just get a RA# from where you bought it and get another one.

Every now and then companies will have a dud. Don't judge the company on this one sub that is bad. It's probably just the amp that's bad. Even the high end companies will have defective units from time to time. It's just reality.
post #366 of 2112 Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Just get a RA# from where you bought it and get another one.

Every now and then companies will have a dud. Don't judge the company on this one sub that is bad. It's probably just the amp that's bad. Even the high end companies will have defective units from time to time. It's just reality.

Agreed. I can't stand when people bash a manufacturer just because they got one bad unit. It can't be helped with mass-produced products.

FWIW, this is the first faulty PA-120 that I've read about in these forums and I've been lurking awhile. Not an honor you wanted, I'm sure.
post #367 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Mine's dead silent when it's not producing LFE, and I had a bit of a light hum with my old sub. Sorry it sounds like you got a lemon. Let us know how the return process goes for you.

After having this for a couple of weeks, I have to say that I'm really impressed overall with the sub. I can now heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a solid contender in the budget category.
post #368 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM

I called sounddistributors and talked with Eric. He was very patient and explained step by step how to isolate the problem. 1st of course he had me unhook the RCA jack. -no fix. 2nd He had me move the sub out of the room and plug into a different plug. (When I tried this before I just moved to the next jack over, still on the same electrical line) -no buzz. I then hooked it up to my smaller stereo upstairs and played some "Star Wars" music. Then shut off the whole system. Not a sound. He then explained that I might have a "Ground Loop" in my electrical line. I could try and fix it several different ways but all of them rather difficult or expensive. 3rd- he told me to methodically unplug each thing on the line (tv, receiver, ps3...) and see if one of them is causing the interference and rule out any other options before I go and hire an electrician. I did that and low and behold, my baseboard heater was the cause of the problem. When I unplugged it the sound/buzz cut out immediately.

--I was really rather impressed with his time and patience with me. I am not an electrician and I may have explained his fix poorly above because I was over my head. But- He was great, and even better than that my sub sounds great and is not damaged as I feared. One last thing. Eric said that if the noise had continued on the other stereo then he would ship me an amplifier. I would not have to ship my sub anywhere. So either way he was going to help.

--Lesson for the day: electrical interference can be picked up in the sub. Beware what your plugging into the same line.
post #369 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Albino View Post

I called sounddistributors and talked with Eric. He was very patient and explained step by step how to isolate the problem.

--I was really rather impressed with his time and patience with me.

--Lesson for the day: electrical interference can be picked up in the sub. Beware what your plugging into the same line.

That's great news all the way around. Not only because you've got the problem licked, but because Eric and his brother have gotten an occasional bad review around here.
post #370 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM

so it appears that in the under $300 range, this is pretty much the best in it's class. Not sure if jumping into the a2-300 is worth the extra cabbage?

So i'm pulling the trigger on one of these in about 10 minutes, $229 w/ free shipping, i spoke to them today and they said they had a huge amount arriving tomorrow and could get one out tomorrow, if i'm lucky, it'll make it just in time for the weekend.

stoked baby....
post #371 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFLYNNx View Post

so it appears that in the under $300 range, this is pretty much the best in it's class. Not sure if jumping into the a2-300 is worth the extra cabbage?

So i'm pulling the trigger on one of these in about 10 minutes, $229 w/ free shipping, i spoke to them today and they said they had a huge amount arriving tomorrow and could get one out tomorrow, if i'm lucky, it'll make it just in time for the weekend.

stoked baby....

Its absolutely fantastic as a quasi-budget sub. It has a great frequency range, really bellows out the dBs - and is of solid construction.

When it shows up at your home, you'll have to suck in your gut and get this 70lb subwoofer into your living room. You'll examine the hilariously sketchy box which looks like something you got at the Dollar Tree...

But once you unbox it - it becomes a beautiful subwoofer which is worth every penny.
post #372 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The a2-300 is worth it if you want to pinch in more money and you actually want to go lower. Not factoring that, the PA-120 is thee sub below 300-400. Still waiting patiently for mine. At least I finally got a tracking number.
post #373 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Most noise in any audio is usually a ground problem. But I'm glad to see it was handled.

Also I just re-setup my Denon 2808 with Audessy and realized that I may have never pushed save when I did it before...moron.

It did bump the sub down to -2db? Anybody else have that? I bump it up because I rarely listen very loud.
post #374 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Subtotal: US $229.00

Shipping & handling: FREE

Coupon - 10% off coupon[ ] -US $22.90

Total: US $206.10

That's sound distributor ebay pa-120 w/ paypal 10% coupon.

So this is probably the best $200 sub on the market?
post #375 of 2112 Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 957
yes

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #376 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Subtotal: US $229.00

Shipping & handling: FREE

Coupon - 10% off coupon[ ] -US $22.90

Total: US $206.10

That's sound distributor ebay pa-120 w/ paypal 10% coupon.

So this is probably the best $200 sub on the market?

Where's the coupon?
post #377 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 957
sometimes paypal sends you a coupon to "thank you" for using ebay a lot. it's a personal coupon code that probably only works for his account.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #378 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

sometimes paypal sends you a coupon to "thank you" for using ebay a lot. it's a personal coupon code that probably only works for his account.

joshtee, batpig was correct, it's a personal coupon that i didn't even know was tagged to my acct, I've made like one purchase a couple months ago on ebay, the coupon was sent out of the blue and said something like, "we've missed you". But when I logged onto my acct, there's a clickable link at the top of the page that was said "COUPONS", pretty much it was a 10% that had to be used in two weeks and was good for any one purchase. I didn't realize it but on your ebay acct you have a message inbox, check yours, who knows what's in there, lol...
post #379 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

fyi, sound distributors work fast, i've already been updated w/ tracking for the sub, sucks though, it isn't scheduled to arrive till monday.
post #380 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

fyi, sound distributors work fast, i've already been updated w/ tracking for the sub, sucks though, it isn't scheduled to arrive till monday.

I ordered on Friday and got a tracking number yesterday, but it still says billing information received. But yours has an estimated delivery date?

I hope this sub comes by Friday.

edit: I checked my email and it says it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
post #381 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Hello all,

I'm interested in this sub and the svs pc-12nsd. I like the svs because it would take up less space, but I was wondering is the performance difference big enough to justify the ~$400 price difference? I know the pa-120 is considered a budget sub, but I would like to know if this would satisfy my needs. I would use it mostly with tv/movies and some gaming. Any help would be appreciately! Thanks.
post #382 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:

crappy slow is more like it. I order on the 15th and now just gotten a tracking number with billing info and no est date yet....

guess lucky 4 u..
post #383 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen View Post

crappy slow is more like it. I order on the 15th and now just gotten a tracking number with billing info and no est date yet....

guess lucky 4 u..

Check your email from UPS and it should show a delivery date.
post #384 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaarlieee View Post

Check your email from UPS and it should show a delivery date.

ah, how did I miss that when I actually click that to get to the ups site....

Scheduled Delivery: 28-January-2009. let's hope it shows up tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.
post #385 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginwae View Post

Hello all,

I'm interested in this sub and the svs pc-12nsd. I like the svs because it would take up less space, but I was wondering is the performance difference big enough to justify the ~$400 price difference? I know the pa-120 is considered a budget sub, but I would like to know if this would satisfy my needs. I would use it mostly with tv/movies and some gaming. Any help would be appreciately! Thanks.

I can't speak of the SVS, but the PA-120 will meet the needs of all but the most discriminating people. Price aside, it's clean, deep, loud, well built, and nice enough to look at.
post #386 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
^^Start tracking when UPS actually picks up the item. I had the billing information for about 2days. UPS actually picked up the item on the 3rd day. It also bumped up my delivery date.
post #387 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Thinking about buying this sub. Right now I have a 7-year old Acoustic Research HTIB speaker/sub set I picked up on clearance for $200. The sub only works about half the time. I realize I should probably replace all my speakers but having a non-working sub half the time isn't cutting it, so it's my top priority.

It'll be used only for TV/movies/gaming, I very rarely listen to music in my home theater. It's paired with an Onkyo 606 receiver and the aforementioned speakers.

I've read through this entire thread and like what I've read about the PA-120. The biggest worries I have is the quality of the electronics. I mean the thing is *cheap* for a decent 12" sub, is the thing going to burn my house down!? Now that I'm starting to step up the quality of my components a bit, just wondering if I should step the budget up from $300 or so to $500 and try to get something nicer from a more established company like HSU, SVS, Velodyne, eD, or Klipsch.

Like I said, it'll be used solely for home theater use, not music. From everything I read, I should just throw the $229 at this sub and if it doesn't work for more than a year or two, I'm not really out that much.
post #388 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Quote:

joshtee, batpig was correct, it's a personal coupon that i didn't even know was tagged to my acct, I've made like one purchase a couple months ago on ebay, the coupon was sent out of the blue and said something like, "we've missed you". But when I logged onto my acct, there's a clickable link at the top of the page that was said "COUPONS", pretty much it was a 10% that had to be used in two weeks and was good for any one purchase. I didn't realize it but on your ebay acct you have a message inbox, check yours, who knows what's in there, lol...

Oh, ok. Thanks.
post #389 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaarlieee View Post

I ordered on Friday and got a tracking number yesterday, but it still says billing information received. But yours has an estimated delivery date?

I hope this sub comes by Friday.

edit: I checked my email and it says it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Same, here. Ordered on Friday. Just tracking email w/ delivery date, but has not shipped yet.
post #390 of 2112 Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen View Post

guess lucky 4 u..

I'll second the crappy slow. I ordered the same day you did and mine hasn't been shipped yet either. Doesn't ebay require sellers to ship within 7 days of payment being received?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page