Premier Acoustic PA-120 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2112 Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heard back from Eric, he wanted my address to make sure mine went out today, I sent him my shipping info and he sent me back a UPS tracking #. I was surprised! Hopefully it will be here Mon. or Tues. Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Just ordered mine too. I can't wait to get it. The subwoofer I have now is pathetic (Sony SA-WM250). I'm assuming this thing will just blow my mind after the Sony.
post #453 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlostcory View Post

Just ordered mine too. I can't wait to get it. The subwoofer I have now is pathetic (Sony SA-WM250). I'm assuming this thing will just blow my mind after the Sony.

I had the same Sony a few month back and the PA-120 will destroy it. I guarantee.
post #454 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM

My UPS tracking # from yesterday still just says "Billing information Received". Hopefully that will change soon.
post #455 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlostcory View Post

The PA-120 will walk over to your WM250, pick it up - and stick his foot through it's face.
post #456 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 05:27 PM

Is anyone using this with an Onkyo 606? I am on my second 606 and I am not sure what the problem is. If I plug a different source into the woofer it will play fine...but plugged into the onkyo it is randomly turning off/on. One night I can watch a movie fine with the bass galore, the next I cant get any bass at all.

Currently If I go into the speaker level calibration there is no noise at all from the test tone stuff coming out of the woofer with both the speaker gain at max, and the onkyo at +12 db. I might try this tomorrow and it will work...not sure what the deal is.

I have tried multiple cables, setting the woofer to allways on, returned the other 606 and got a new 606, still the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?... thanks!
post #457 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Did you check your power outlet? Make sure the ground is good. That's the only thing I can think of.
post #458 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
I got mine earlier this morning and I am very impressed. For a $229 subwoofer, it performs great and I did not think it would sound this good.
post #459 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 PM

I have a Sony STR-510 5.1 HTIB setup. I feel like it could definitely use more bass as my current sub is on max. I am looking for a quality sub at a good price which this seems to match.

I am considering upgrading the sub to the PA-120. Has any one else upgraded a HTIB setup to this sub and if so how did it perform?

Another thing to consider is I am located in Hawaii, so I get charged $50 shipping...

Daniel
post #460 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

I have a Sony STR-510 5.1 HTIB setup. I feel like it could definitely use more bass as my current sub is on max. I am looking for a quality sub at a good price which this seems to match.

I am considering upgrading the sub to the PA-120. Has any one else upgraded a HTIB setup to this sub and if so how did it perform?

Another thing to consider is I am located in Hawaii, so I get charged $50 shipping...

Daniel

I've owned a HTiB and have heard quite a few... they can be decent, but nothing impressive.

This sub is a huge step over any HTiB sub I've heard.
post #461 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorin View Post

Is anyone using this with an Onkyo 606? I am on my second 606 and I am not sure what the problem is. If I plug a different source into the woofer it will play fine...but plugged into the onkyo it is randomly turning off/on. One night I can watch a movie fine with the bass galore, the next I cant get any bass at all.

Currently If I go into the speaker level calibration there is no noise at all from the test tone stuff coming out of the woofer with both the speaker gain at max, and the onkyo at +12 db. I might try this tomorrow and it will work...not sure what the deal is.

I have tried multiple cables, setting the woofer to allways on, returned the other 606 and got a new 606, still the same problem.

I have this sub with a 606 and it works fine, not sure what the problem could be if it works with another Receiver. Doesn't sound like a ground loop problem but always worth checking.
post #462 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Bizarre...this is how my current sub acts, it's a cheapo from an Acoustic Research HC6 HTiB set that's 8 years old, so I figured it's my sub, that's why I ordered a PA-120 (that I have yet to receive). I really hope it's not my 606! I did just check the grounding on my outlets that my 606 and current sub are connected to, and they both checked out ok, so I don't think that's the problem I'm having.
post #463 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Just checked UPS site, now says: "Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 02/04/2009." So, hopefully I will get mine on Wed.
post #464 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM

For the rest of you that purchased a PA-120, how was yours packaged? I received mine today, and the box contained a foam insert protecting the top of the subwoofer, but there was no foam insert to protect the bottom of the sub. Judging from the size of the box and its contents, it looks like the box was sized for an insert on both sides. Unfortunately, mine arrived damaged. I'd like to get some idea of whether the inadequate packaging was an isolated incident, or whether this is the normal packaging (and it's been good enough to keep it protected in most shipments).
post #465 of 2112 Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Foam top and bottom.
post #466 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphxenos View Post

For the rest of you that purchased a PA-120, how was yours packaged? I received mine today, and the box contained a foam insert protecting the top of the subwoofer, but there was no foam insert to protect the bottom of the sub. Judging from the size of the box and its contents, it looks like the box was sized for an insert on both sides. Unfortunately, mine arrived damaged. I'd like to get some idea of whether the inadequate packaging was an isolated incident, or whether this is the normal packaging (and it's been good enough to keep it protected in most shipments).

OUCH! Yes, there is suppose to be foam on top and bottom, all within a "retail" box which arrives to your door.
post #467 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphxenos View Post

Whats surprising is that its not double-boxed. Somewhat disappointing, but mine survived during the shipment.

Chris
post #468 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daniel

Daniel,
Yeah that's expected as he most likely ships within the continental US (48 states).

Chris
post #469 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Goat View Post

OUCH! Yes, there is suppose to be foam on top and bottom, all within a "retail" box which arrives to your door.

Foam on top and bottom and the sub should be wrapped in plastic as well. The look of the box is cheap and discouraging (someone was reminded of Dollar Tree) and I was surprised that it wasn't double-boxed as well. You would think someone who is offering free return shipping on problems would take more care in their packaging, but I guess that's an area where he cuts a corner so that he can offer free shipping and it seems to be working well. I only recall reading one or maybe two posts where there was damage of any sort and they were minor and resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post

I have this sub with a 606 and it works fine, not sure what the problem could be if it works with another Receiver. Doesn't sound like a ground loop problem but always worth checking.

It's working perfectly with my 606 as well. There is a 200+ page 606 Owner's Thread that I'm a little over halfway through reading (*gasp*) and I don't recall seeing that anyone else has had a problem similar to yours.

Wait... now that I think about it, it seems like one time my sub didn't turn on when I was expecting it to. I think after I checked the controls on the back I re-seated the audio connection and it powered right up. I'm still using the cheap-o cable that came with the sub. Try that and report back. (Worth a a shot.)
post #470 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Daniel

The fact that you have a HTIB doesn't especially matter so long as it uses standard connections and can actually use the sub. That's too bad, but perfectly understandable, about the shipping. The general consensus is that you would have to spend $500 or more to find another sub that is as good as this PA so if you look at it that way you're still getting a bargain even if you spend more shipping than we did.
post #471 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 PM

In for one as well. I called them up and they said both black and cherry are in. Hopefully its actually in stock.
post #472 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Did you get this figured out?
post #473 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtee View Post

Did you get this figured out?

Not yet... Something odd that I tired today. The woofer wasnt coming on while listening to a movie that has worked before....so I plugged in an alternate source and the woofer started right up, and then I plugged it back in to the receiver and it was working ok... So I am not really sure what the deal is.
post #474 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM

I ordered mine last Wednesday and my shipping data has gone from "billing information received" to "shipped" and back to "billing information received." any ideas on how or why this happened?
post #475 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinnert View Post

I ordered mine last Wednesday and my shipping data has gone from "billing information received" to "shipped" and back to "billing information received." any ideas on how or why this happened?

I would contact UPS. This seems like an error on their part; not the people selling the item. Also, it is the weekend, so there are no updates for UPS tracking right now usually. So that part of it is weird.

My shipment has been at the same point of left salt lake at 12:30 am 1/30 and will prob remain that way until monday at some point. If it does not I will contact UPS.

Edit: I just checked my shipping information... and mine has now changed to the same thing. I am not sure what is going on here. I am assuming that UPS is not open on sundays, so I will probably have to contact them on Monday. Anyone else getting this problem? My sub was enroute and now seems to be in limbo.
post #476 of 2112 Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM

I have some questions about the PA-120. What does the bottom of it look like? Does it have rubber feet or is it just the box?

My sub will be on a counter top in the corner of the room so I don't want any metal spikes damaging it.

I also realized that this has a rear facing port. How much space is required behind the sub for this rear port?

My counter top is 24" deep from the wall which would leave me 5-3/4" behind the sub if I put it and the front of the counter top. I would prefer to have it as close to the wall as possible any recommendations?

Daniel
post #477 of 2112 Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

I have some questions about the PA-120. What does the bottom of it look like? Does it have rubber feet or is it just the box?

Daniel

Small, low profile rubber feet, with a piano black finish.
post #478 of 2112 Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 AM

Great! Thanks, that is ideal for my counter top
post #479 of 2112 Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 AM

My UPS info did the same thing last night, and now this morning it's back to scheduled delivery for the 4th. Must've just been a hiccup in UPS's system.
post #480 of 2112 Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 AM

I see that no one has done a nearfield frequency sweep of this sub yet. I lost patience and was alarmed by some bizarre inconsistencies with the companies making and selling these subs so I went with the devil I know and got an Infinity PS210. I got it for less than $150 plus shipping. I know its weaknesses and how to mitigate them. This was just too much of an unknown and the pros are people's opinions on how it sounds. If I only had some data to back up the opinions I might have taken a chance on this baby.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page