Premier Acoustic PA-120 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2113 Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I currently have the H-100, but the cone is rattling like the glue came apart when I there is deep bass. I'm going to send it back, Should I get the PA-120 or the VK-12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2113 Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

I currently have the H-100, but the cone is rattling like the glue came apart when I there is deep bass. I'm going to send it back, Should I get the PA-120 or the VK-12?

Mike Embers over at Acoustic Sound Design has the PA-120 ranked over the H-100 and under the VK-12 while all are made on the same line, at the same company. I like my PA-120, rocks!

BTW, how old is your H-100?

Hope that helps

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
post #63 of 2113 Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM

I just got it yesterday. I bought this one to replace my other H-100 that my ferret got into and broke it. My other question is I have the HT-88's and HT-63 center, will the PA-120 match up with those?
post #64 of 2113 Old 12-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got it yesterday. I bought this one to replace my other H-100 that my ferret got into and broke it. My other question is I have the HT-88's and HT-63 center, will the PA-120 match up with those?

Those will work great, just set them to small and xcross the PA-120 at 80...boom

BTW, a few years back went to visit my brother in college and go fishing, brought down 2 new rods at $100 a piece. Overnight that damm ferret ate all the cork off the handles!

Did you know that a ferret can fly?

post #65 of 2113 Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Does this sub have any spikes or at least holes for spikes on the bottom?
post #66 of 2113 Old 12-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Does this sub have any spikes or at least holes for spikes on the bottom?

This sub doesn't need spikes. It's seriously well built, and with the front driver/rear port design, it doesn't move, even when it's hammering. I does have small rubber feet on the bottom if I remember right. If you want a sub that dances, better look elsewhere.
post #67 of 2113 Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 AM

I have to say I am blown away. Then again, this is my first real subwoofer so I guess that shoots my credibility down to zero here. However, I did do some listening tests of subs at a few stores and I believe it beats most of the $100-$400 category (at least by Circuit City retail prices). I still like the Boston Acoustics ones better, but for the $$ it wins hands down!

This deal was pretty solid. I got it at around $180 shipped since I missed the full 35% cashback and Paypal coupon (only got 25% off). Still a great deal though.

Fortunately, I didn't have any shipping issues unlike the other person on this thread. I have the cherry one with piano finish on the top. I like how it looks as well.
post #68 of 2113 Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM

It is actually reasonably musical as well. I haven't tested it with jazz yet, but I did play some rock and classical music. It does seem to bridge the gap between music and movies better than some of the other subs I tested in the category.

For a sub entry level guy like me, it is highly recommended.
post #69 of 2113 Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Summers View Post

This sub doesn't need spikes. It's seriously well built, and with the front driver/rear port design, it doesn't move, even when it's hammering. I does have small rubber feet on the bottom if I remember right. If you want a sub that dances, better look elsewhere.

Somewhere on this forum, it talks about putting some type of material (rubber or rug) under your sub if you have hard floors. If you got rug, great use the spikes, but I don't. They sell quite a few recommended rubber products thru this website for $50 and up but I found a great solution.

Home depot sells a rubber mat about 1 inch thick ($10), I cut it to the PA120's base size and it works great on my wooden floors and doesn't shake the sub all over

FYI

post #70 of 2113 Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Happy Holidays everyone!

Both of my Premier Acoustic PA-120 (black) showed up this week from Mike @ Acoustic Sound Design (ebay). I am told by the wife that both boxes showed in good condition. Here is the part that is killing me, she wrapped them up already! Yes, they are a Christmas present, but I thought I would at least get to drool on the boxes a little!

I'm replacing two (2) Infinity PS-8 subs so this should be a pretty good upgrade.

I would really like to hear some first hand impressions of these subs from users. I promise to post mine as soon as I have them set up (after Christmas obviously). I would also love to see some pictures of these from different angles and in your setups.

C'mon guys, help me out. Please....

Later...
post #71 of 2113 Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 AM

Ohio, just a note, my box came perfectly, it was only the top of the sub cabinet itself that had some damage due to shipping. I'm gonna try buffing it out with some car polish to see if that works. If not, I'm prob just going to live with it, since the sub sits in a corner of my living room and unless you go up to it and look at the proper angle the damage is non-existent.

Besides, it sounds soooooo good that I don't want to be without it now
post #72 of 2113 Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

jj.pod,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your PA-120.

Another option you might look into is an actual plastic scratch remover/polisher. Some car polishes have mild abrasives that may make the scratches on the "Piano Black" finish even more noticeable. Just "Google" plastic scratch remover/polisher and you will find some good suggestions, some you may even find locally. Whatever you try, do it on a place (bottom maybe?) to see if it will actually help.

Good luck to you and Happy Holidays!
post #73 of 2113 Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quick question to those of you who have already put the PA-120 to work.

Does it matter that this sub does not have a "dedicated" LFE input? Best I can tell from the photos I've been able to view, there is only a "Sub In" (red) and "Sub Out" (white).

My Infinitys have a "dedicated" LFE input and I just connect a single cable to each sub from a "Y" connector from my AVR "Sub Out".

Thanks in advance...
post #74 of 2113 Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Liked: 12
you will just plug your cable into the one jack on the pa--it works the same way

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #75 of 2113 Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 AM

My amp only has a single output for subs so I just ran a digital coax from it to the input on the back of the sub (white). Seems to work just fine.

I'd read online that was the proper hookup as well when I was investigating my new sub.
post #76 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

Happy Holidays everyone!

Both of my Premier Acoustic PA-120 (black) showed up this week from Mike @ Acoustic Sound Design (ebay). I am told by the wife that both boxes showed in good condition. Here is the part that is killing me, she wrapped them up already! Yes, they are a Christmas present, but I thought I would at least get to drool on the boxes a little!

I'm replacing two (2) Infinity PS-8 subs so this should be a pretty good upgrade.

I would really like to hear some first hand impressions of these subs from users. I promise to post mine as soon as I have them set up (after Christmas obviously). I would also love to see some pictures of these from different angles and in your setups.

Later...

Just curious, when did you order them? Mine from 2 weeks ago are still just in "Billing Information Received" status at UPS. I was told from the get go it would be 3 weeks before they were in stock, so this isn't a surprised. Just wanted to see if anyone was getting them early.
post #77 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone running two of these off of a .2 setup like the yamaha 663?

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #78 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

MarcSparks,

Wife ordered them the day after Thanksgiving when Microsoft Cashback was at 30%. It wasn't long after she ordered them that they went out of stock.

Later...
post #79 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLefty View Post

Happy Holidays everyone!

Later...

You need to convince your wife that those need to be playing now so when eveyone comes over during the holidays, they've been properly warmed up

post #80 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

anyone running two of these off of a .2 setup like the yamaha 663?

Small world,

I have 1 running w/ my 663 but will buy another next month...I'll let you know...love the single one so far

post #81 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterCat View Post

Small world,

I have 1 running w/ my 663 but will buy another next month...I'll let you know...love the single one so far

i think i may just blind buy 2 of them, but i was considering doing the same, buy one now, and get another later...

anyone know how the cherry looks compared to the cherry on say... polk monitor 50's?

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #82 of 2113 Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i think i may just blind buy 2 of them, but i was considering doing the same, buy one now, and get another later...

anyone know how the cherry looks compared to the cherry on say... polk monitor 50's?

I'm going by memory since I don't have the Polks anymore, but it's...closer than not. I hope this doesn't sound too ambiguous, but I know you wouldn't be astounded by the difference at all.
post #83 of 2113 Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM

So, for what it's worth, I didn't see the smaller print saying it wa out of stock, I found this thread and saw people saying its out of stock, went back and looked and sure enough...

So I emailed, like, 15 minutes ago, help@ASD.com (shortened due to laziness lol) and asked if it was still out of stock and if so could he switch my order to cherry (I don't really care as it will be in a corner and soon be under a table) and he replied back just now saying he'd ship out a cherry tomorrow.

So, while I understand the responses others have had, some people are just REALLY curt. Not great for customer service but I say as long as he gets the job done (replaces it if it needs to be replaced, etc. etc.) I'm willing to overlook a personality flaw, nobody is perfect. Long as the end result is good I don't much care. And the sub sounds f'ing sweet so...for a cut rate price I'm sure not going to bitch about his personality. Especially since the bad customer service thing to do would be to tell me to f off and learn to read.

Though I do wish that was part of the title and not in smaller print, I totally missed it. Usually people put stupid BS there.
post #84 of 2113 Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Glad you had a good experience. I was so disappointed with mine that I decided to suck it up and buy a ProSub 800 locally. At the last minute I saw HSU had the VTF-1 at 10% off, and decided to give them a call to see if they could throw in free shipping to meet my wife's $400 mandate - the experience could not have been more different from Mike!

When I called I got someone who was not authorized to make that call, but she took my phone number and promised someone would call me back. Yeah, sure they will, I thought. To my surprise, Pete called the next day and talked to my wife, saying that it was already discounted so he couldn't comp the shipping, but if I was trying to stay under $400 he SUGGESTED AN ALTERNATIVE in the STF line.

NOTE TO MIKE: If you had taken the extra 15 seconds to suggest the PA-120 when I called about the VK-12/H-100, you might have got another sale.

Anyway, I called Pete back last night and really tried to weasel some small discount out of him, but he was the consummate salesperson: highlighting the benefits of the product, justifying the cost, discussing alternatives, offering extra assistance with the setup, etc. all without being at all pushy or condescending of my financial constraints or other products I had been considering.

In short, he very quickly sealed the deal even without any extra discount, and I feel like I am getting my money's worth and am confident not only in the product but the company.

We'll see if all that is justified when it comes in next week...
post #85 of 2113 Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Ok guys... I FINALLY watched IRON MAN on Blu-ray last night with the PA eagerly participating. I sat there for half of the movie with a stupid grin on my face, so pleased as to what I was hearing and feeling. But when Iron Man went supersonic...LOL!!! I love this sub. My wife tells me "It's hurting my head"! I felt bad so I turned it down...

... a little.

Best $160 I ever spent...

ANYONE ELSE GOT A FAVORITE MOVIE FOR SUBS?
post #86 of 2113 Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok guys... I FINALLY watched IRON MAN on Blu-ray last night with the PA eagerly participating. I sat there for half of the movie with a stupid grin on my face, so pleased as to what I was hearing and feeling. But when Iron Man went supersonic...LOL!!! I love this sub. My wife tells me "It's hurting my head"! I felt bad so I turned it down...

... a little.

Watched I AM LEGEND last night with PA120 and at the end when the zombie is hitting his body against the glass wall...wow, it was thunderous everytime he hit it

Also, my Madden 09 now sounds incredible with there are hard hits...really magnifies it
Happy for the price and quality...2nd one coming in january

post #87 of 2113 Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:

... a little.

I watched ironman last night as well... and yes, wow. I kept rewinding to when he was hovering in the suit. freakin' sweet. movies def sound way better now... now that i can feel them!

and, guitar hero sounds great now as well! Playing bass has a whole new feel now that the sub is thumbing away with me!

fav movies / scenes for me so far have to be the chase sequence from TDK, and a fair amount of Kung Fu Panda (wife and I huge animation fans). Black hawk down was pretty absurd as well. We watched the 1st 1/2 on a pretty high volume but our daughter woke up and was in the room for the end of the movie so I turned it down. The scene where they fly to the city land and the 1st balckhawk goes down was absurd. Pictures started rattling on walls

Also watched the Steelers vs Ravens game last Sunday and was surprised by the amount of low-end in the broadcast. Everytime they did a certain wipe the sub kicked in full blast and thumped away. made me smile
post #88 of 2113 Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 AM

to anyone that owns the Premier Acoustic PA-120 in all black would you be able to post some pics? I am really interested in these but the only pics i can find of the unit is in the Cherry color. I would like to see what the all black ones look like since i have nothing with cherry in my setup. Thank you in advance,
post #89 of 2113 Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad611 View Post

to anyone that owns the Premier Acoustic PA-120 in all black would you be able to post some pics? I am really interested in these but the only pics i can find of the unit is in the Cherry color. I would like to see what the all black ones look like since i have nothing with cherry in my setup. Thank you in advance,

Pics I took when mine first came in, not too many angles, sorry...but you can get the idea.

post #90 of 2113 Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM

People who have (or have heard PA-120) and have (or heard H-100) - what difference do you feel/hear? Which one of the two is more boomy? Which one is 'better' for Movies vs Music. I couldnt find a direct comparison of the two.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page