Premier Acoustic PA-120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2113 Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know some members on this forum have gotten the new PA-120 subwoofer, but there's not exactly any information flowing out about it. I purchased one the other week, but I am not able to try it out until Christmas when I receive my new amp from the significant other.

So, to those out there who have this subwoofer and have tried it out...any thoughts? Just trying to get some decent user reviews here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2113 Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
The PA-120 doesn't have a switch like the BIC Acoustech H100 to set the crossover level to the receiver it has just as an rca input and output jack, can anyone guide me on how to set the PA-120 so that the crossover level are coming from my receiver.

Thanks
post #3 of 2113 Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM

^I'd just set the crossover as high as possible on the sub, then use the receiver crossover setting to set it where you's like it.

I'd also like to see some impressions and comparisons from those that own the PA-120. It is a mystery sub that is hard to distinguish from the H100 and VK-12.
post #4 of 2113 Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 View Post

I'd also like to see some impressions and comparisons from those that own the PA-120. It is a mystery sub that is hard to distinguish from the H100 and VK-12.

Indeed. I know that someone posted saying Mike Embers said the PA-120 was a notch up from the B-100, and it looks like it would be on paper but I have yet to see a user review on this sub. Why is everyone remaining so tight-lipped?
post #5 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 AM

I know, the PA-120 remains a mystery. The BIC VK-12 has been said to be even better than the PA-120 in the same price range, but it seems to be an enigma as well.
post #6 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 AM

Thanks ckhirnigs113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 View Post

^I'd just set the crossover as high as possible on the sub, then use the receiver crossover setting to set it where you's like it.

post #7 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 AM

the sub is fine, so far I have not been overly impressed by mike embers who is the one selling them on ebay--non resolved situation so far which i will further explain when i know how it works out.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #8 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 02:21 PM

^I look forward to hearing the outcome of your situation.

I'm also craving more impressions of the PA-120. I just found out that the BIC VK-12 will be back on eBay in about two weeks. I may wait until then to make my decision.
post #9 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 03:22 PM

I have never heard the Bic H-100 so I can't really compare, but I would say that the PA-120 would be quite satisfactory to the average home theater user looking for an inexpensive 12" sub that's not humongous. I had been using an old Yamaha YST160 which was a dual 8" subwoofer that usually got a "well, most Yamaha subs suck but the 160's actually weren't that bad" reaction from electronic's/AV gurus I knew. The PA-120 easily outpowers the Yamaha and has tighter sound, though I still wouldn't consider it ideal for music. It does ok with some thing musically, not so great with others.

My issue with Mike Embers was that the sub showed up somewhat generally scuffed on the top, which with the piano black I had been somewhat concerned about, and it was also the black version, whereas I had ordered the cherry to go with my other speakers. What I found somewhat disconcerting was that the black sub was in a cherry box, which was also semi beat up. I had emailed him a fairly detailed account of the situation, and eventually got a reply which said "call me". When I called him back a few minutes after he sent the email, I said "this is so and so I just received your email about the black PA 120 sub I got instead of the cherry and was wondering how we could resolve it, and had some concerns too as to whether I could have received an "open box special" or something that had been returned and then stuck in the wrong box". His response was "WHO is this?" as though he had never heard of subwoofers or people who purchased them. I explained the whole situation again and said that while the scuffing could have happened in shipping and I supposed it could have been a mixup at the factory for a black sub to get stuck in a cherry sub box, I just wanted some reassurance that this was not an open box/returned sub or something, to which his reply was not "I'm sure it was just a mixup at the factory" or some such response but "how should I know, I don't open the boxes or anything, if you want to exchange it just say so and we'll do an exchange for the cherry one, what do you want to do?" in a "you are a major PIA and wasting my time" sort of tone of voice. I ended up saying I'll think about it and get back to you since I had had to leave work early to be home to receive this one and didn't really want to ty to cut out early again just a few days later to do an exchange. I was not thrilled with having received a scuffed up subwoofer that was not even the color I had ordered, and the less than eassuring response to my request for assurance that it was not a returned unit or something also didn't thrill me, so I emailed him back saying that I would either like to send it back for a refund and I would not want another in it's place, or I would accept a partial refund to save him from the hassle of shipping it back and I would just consider it as an open box special that I use until I buy something else, which seemed reasonable to me. That was yesterday and eventually I received a notice tonight saying he would do a partial refund. At no time did he ever say "gee sorry I sent the wrong sub and it was in less than pristine condition". So, I consider the situation closed and a lesson learned about buying subs from places that sell on ebay, and I think the sub is decent for a bargain sub, but I'd have to say I'd personally try to find a different seller.
John4721 and jays_on like this.

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
post #10 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM

^Well that is not very reassuring to hear. Most of the internet-direct companies pride themselves on their customer service, so I think I may save up and buy something from someone more reputable. Your impressions of the sub don't make it sound like anything amazing. I may hold out until the VK-12 is in stock. Who knows...
post #11 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 PM

I don't mean to seem less than enthusiastic about the sub--it's decent looking and as mentioned even at 5 it'll shake the floor. I'm seriously considering a more expensive upgrade like the Outlaw deal, in which case I'd be better able to compare to something higher end.

post #12 of 2113 Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post

I don't mean to seem less than enthusiastic about the sub--it's decent looking and as mentioned even at 5 it'll shake the floor. I'm seriously considering a more expensive upgrade like the Outlaw deal, in which case I'd be better able to compare to something higher end.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Mine arrived as ordered with no visual issues, but as I said I won't be able to test it out (unfortunately) until Christmas when I get my receiver. I do appreciate the input on the sound of the sub though, as it is going in a small bedroom I know it would output enough power from the get-go, I was just worried about audible quality. Thanks again, and hopefully your next purchase will go as planned.
post #13 of 2113 Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 AM

I think you will find that for a bedroom in particular it will have more than enough oomf for home theater, and I don't mean to suggest it's awful for music. Keep in mind that many much more expensive subs that get rave reviews on here also get rated as ok for music. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

post #14 of 2113 Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM

I received the PA-120 in cherry and I think it's a great looking sub. No, it does not compare to some of the $2000 subwoofers I've demoed, but it sounds much nicer than the $220 I paid, and is remarkably similar to the BIC H-100 my friend just received; perhaps a smidge louder. Bass is relatively tight and plenty loud, and I can say I received the sub in perfect condition and in a timely manner. Didn't have to deal with the seller past that, but in my eyes he did well by me.
post #15 of 2113 Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post

I received the PA-120 in cherry and I think it's a great looking sub. No, it does not compare to some of the $2000 subwoofers I've demoed, but it sounds much nicer than the $220 I paid, and is remarkably similar to the BIC H-100 my friend just received; perhaps a smidge louder. Bass is relatively tight and plenty loud, and I can say I received the sub in perfect condition and in a timely manner. Didn't have to deal with the seller past that, but in my eyes he did well by me.

I just set up the PA120 this weekend. Shook my whole house when I was playing the opening scene of Attack of the Clones when the big spaceship flies over you then explodes later. My wife came screaming from upstairs! My old sony sub would come apart and chudder but this thing cranked in that scene. I don't know what the H100 sounds like but this sub is definitely worth it to me. It also makes my music sound better. I didn't put a sound meter on it and all that measurement stuff, just plugged it in, set it to 80 hz and let my Yamaha 663 auto setup the system.

Shipped fast too! Box in perfect condition...got the black
I agree though that Mike Embers seems short tempered. Kinda like those NYC garage goons...no offense

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
post #16 of 2113 Old 12-01-2008, 03:41 PM

that's just it, I'm FROM ny and thought he seemed rude

it's definitely a decent sub though, particularly for the money

post #17 of 2113 Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM

I just ordered one today to replace my old JBL PB12 that just died after 12 years and will report as well what I think of it. It should serve my purpose pretty well.
post #18 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 AM

I ordered the PA-120 last night & should have it in on Friday. I'll let you know what I think. It was $229 on ebay,plus a $69 discount for using live.com cashback. I had previously considered the PE sub-120 and the PE HSU/SB-1000, but it seems hard to go wrong with this sub's specs, family heritage, and $160 shipped. Anyone else heard this thing enough to compare it?
post #19 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Summers View Post

I ordered the PA-120 last night & should have it in on Friday. I'll let you know what I think. It was $229 on ebay,plus a $69 discount for using live.com cashback. I had previously considered the PE sub-120 and the PE HSU/SB-1000, but it seems hard to go wrong with this sub's specs, family heritage, and $160 shipped. Anyone else heard this thing enough to compare it?

Do you think this will sound good on it.
post #20 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM

how does the live.com cash back work?
I looked on ebay and livesearch.
is the 25% already gone
post #21 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
I had a weird deal as well but it was not bad.

I ordered the PA 120 for less $$ thinking it would be cherry like the picture on ebay. However, I received the H100 which cost more $$ and it was solid black. I was happy though because it now matches my HT decor.

Either way, the sub is in the corner behind a side couch table so it would not have mattered but I thought it was a little weird.

Overall, I am very happy with the sub and my experience using the ebay vendor.
post #22 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM

I just called Mike to see if I could still get the VK-12 for $280 which he offered to a couple of people last month. He said, "Nope, the VK-12 has gone up to $329." "Gee, that's too bad, it's a little out of my price range." "Well, that's what it is." Click!

No question of what my price range was, or suggestion of the H-100 or PA-120 as an alternative. Not impressed at all. Guess I'll be looking at something else from someone else. Back to the drawing board...
post #23 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a cheap bastard and demand BEST BANG FOR BUCK..

The Pa-120

Is a Great Sub for the money.

i would say the PA-120 IS the best Bang for buck Powered Sub available As of right now.
( now that the VK-12 is up in price)

The PA-120 Can be had new For $172 Shipped!! after live cash back..
even cheaper if you fortunate enough to have received a %10 off fleabay coupon code in your fleabay mail from fleabay.
( $148 after cash back )

If you don't know about the Live.com cash back offer read about it hear

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...4602&t=1044322

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIC-Acoustech-H-...742.m153.l1262

cheers

Murphy
post #24 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM

Wanted to get the PA-120 this afternoon, $160 with the cashback is just too good to refuse. But unfortunately they are all out of black, won't be in stock for 3 weeks according to Mike. The 30% cashback will probably be gone by then.
post #25 of 2113 Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Have you looked at this site? sounddistributors.com (sorry can't post link yet as I am too new )

They have EBAY store that has the PA-120 in stock with buy it now...for the live/cashback deal. You might want to call to double check, and to get the exact number of the offer...since a couple of the descriptions are a bit vauge....They have good seller ratings....

If you order at their store directly, I think you can use a coupon code of TV15 and get 15% off you order...but you don't get the cash back...just another option.....

Cashback looks to be at 20% right now...was 30% earlier today....
post #26 of 2113 Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

Wanted to get the PA-120 this afternoon, $160 with the cashback is just too good to refuse. But unfortunately they are all out of black, won't be in stock for 3 weeks according to Mike. The 30% cashback will probably be gone by then.

$170 shipped is A great geal .

you can buy it now and waite a bit. At least you save some cash.

here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%2B%26_fvi%3D1
post #27 of 2113 Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 AM

Yep, I did just that. I requested last night to post another "pre-order" auction for the black. Cashback is still 25% if you use the right search parameters, so for $172 shipped I can't complain. Don't mind waiting 3-4 weeks as long as it does eventually come.
post #28 of 2113 Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSparks View Post

Yep, I did just that. I requested last night to post another "pre-order" auction for the black. Cashback is still 25% if you use the right search parameters, so for $172 shipped I can't complain. Don't mind waiting 3-4 weeks as long as it does eventually come.

I'm still getting 20% so would you perhaps care to share what search criteria you're using to get the 25% to pop ? -- Thanks !

I think, therefore I am single.
post #29 of 2113 Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

I'm still getting 20% so would you perhaps care to share what search criteria you're using to get the 25% to pop ? -- Thanks !

Search for wii fit

There will be a 2nd cashback link at the top which says something about ebay stores and 25% cashback. Go through that link and you're in with 25%. It does not appear you have to buy from an ebay store or anything. Got this info from SD, several people are saying it works. I went through the transaction and the 25% back is already showing up in my account as pending for 60 days.
post #30 of 2113 Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM

did the same thing about a half hour ago.
same results 25% pending
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page