UPS Destroyed my new Mirage Prestige S10.... need alternative advice plz. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys.... i have a little problem here. Two weeks ago a friend who I built a graphics workstation for had ordered me a brand new Mirage Prestige S10 subwoofer for my home theater system as payment for some work. Unfortunately, when UPS came to deliver the sub yesterday... they not only destroyed the outer shipping box and the padding between it and the retail box for the Mirage sub.... but also it's own factory packaging and the subwoofer itself. So I refused delivery and UPS accepted responsibility.

My problem is that the company that the subwoofer was ordered from no longer sells the Prestige S10 and has zero stock left. But the very helpful customer service guy I spoke with offered me the same percentage of a discount (roughly 50%) which I received on the S10 to be applied to a different subwoofer of my choice as long as the MSRP is similar to the S10 ($699) and they don't take a loss on the deal.

So.... my options are:

- Mirage OMNI S10
- Klipsch Reference Series RW-10d
- Polk Audio DSW PRO 500
- Velodyne DLS-4000R

I'd prefer to stay within the price ranges of the above mentioned so I wont have to add any money out of pocket to step up to a more expensive model, but if I am thoroughly convinced those choices should be avoided... here are two others I may consider:

- Klipsch XW-300d
- Velodyne SPL-800R

The main use of this subwoofer will be for a home theater system (80%) and some music (20%). I listen mainly to electronic genres of music like house, downtempo, acid jazz, break-beats, and progressive house. I also enjoy some rock, jazz, underground hip-hop (not that crap on the radio), and some classical.

My current setup consists of:

- Samsung 46" LED LCD TV
- Harman Kardon AVR-354
- JBL Studio Series Speakers (2x S310's, 1x S-Center, and 2x S26's)
- Samsung BD-2500 Blu-Ray Player.
- All interconnects are Outlaw Audio (HDMI and optical)
- Power supplied/conditioned by a Panamax MAX 5300-EX

And finally, the room everything is in is roughly 18'x12' with one of the 12' sides is open to the kitchen and stairs leading upstairs. Floors are italian tile and ceilings and walls are smooth and the room is quite open.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Mirage OMNI S10 since I've heard such great things about it and I prefer a forward facing sub rather than downward. I've heard a lot of people say that Polk doesn't have great amplifiers and Klipsch subs tend to be mediocre until you get into their $1k+ models.

But i may be all wrong on this, so that is why I'm asking for your time and advice on my current situation.

Also, thanks in advance!

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Would it be possible to get a full refund instead?

If they would allow you a full refund, take it and go to SVS, eD, AV123 or Hsu instead.

Eclectic Electronics: A blog containing technology news, information about home theater, digital photography and more.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my friend paid for this subwoofer and since I have the opportunity to get any of the above subs for 50% off retail pricing, i'm sure i'll get one heck of a nice subwoofer. If I had my friend (who is really busy) get a refund.... i'd only have a budget of about $350 to purchase a different subwoofer since crutchfield does not carry SVS, eD, AV123, etc. Also, UPS is paying for free overnight shipping on whichever sub I order.... which means i'll have it here in Long Beach by tomorrow (Friday) if I make my choice soon.

I've heard the Mirage OMNI S10 and Prestige S10 and thought they were both excellent subwoofers.

So the question still stands. Are any of the subs I listed substantially better than the Mirage OMNI S10?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Liked: 11
Of your choices, Velodyne is the way to go(IMHO). You should not be dissapppointed with the DLS-4000r. If you end up dissatisfied, fleabay it (good resale on Velo) and choose from blued888 recommendations.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Short Pause......Hold your breath for the dynamic duo!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the OMNI S10 because of the great reviews it's received. If worst comes to worst, i'll end up flipping it on ebay and buy one of the subs some of the members recommended in this thread.

I'll keep you posted when it arrives tomorrow. UPS is shipping it "next day" air because of how they destroyed my Prestige S10.

-Andrew
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page