post #181 of 209 Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

There is the power buy for $199+shipping this weekend - I had thought about getting one, but was unsure if it was worth it or if I should just go to a larger unit.

i will try to find that. but i am not ready to buy anymore. since i posted that, i placed my dayton sub120 right behind my chair. that really help my subwoofage, while not cranking up the main subs.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 209 Old 11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, i found it. and it is VERY tempting. but, i have never felt one before, and i don't know what to expect.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #183 of 209 Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 PM

Liked: 10
Too bad it isn't free shipping as well - keeping it under $200 would be great
post #184 of 209 Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the line out jack on the amplifier works. I'd like to move a small powered sub up to my living room to run with the Buttkicker kit. The wireless will be a big help as I hope to put the sub behind the listening position. Is LFE info available at the lineout jack with the wireless system (not using linein?) Assuming the lineouts are hot, are they fixed level?

Thanks for the info. I read the .pdf but it seemed vague to me.
post #185 of 209 Old 11-26-2009, 03:12 PM

I had gone ahead and grabbed one - pretty pleased so far, just have to eliminate all the rattling that it makes from not being under a leg. I think with two units this would be great for my seating, but without having 20+ isolators it is going to be trial and error.
post #186 of 209 Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veekay View Post

I had gone ahead and grabbed one - pretty pleased so far, just have to eliminate all the rattling that it makes from not being under a leg. I think with two units this would be great for my seating, but without having 20+ isolators it is going to be trial and error.

$199, I purchased another.
Wish the remote was better, instead of a intensity guessing game.

Is there less bottoming out, if its mounted different then under the weight of the leg of the furniture??

Once you have kicker, its painful to watch a movie without it.

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #187 of 209 Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus View Post

Is there less bottoming out, if its mounted different then under the weight of the leg of the furniture??

it gives a more solid vibration and no bottoming out when mounted upside down...i was thinking of looking for longer screws and mount the buttkicker upside down on the mounting plate.

i posted a way to calibrate the buttkicker upside down to get the most solid vibration from it at reference level...its a few posts above on page six...it uses the xbox 360 and an audio file.
post #188 of 209 Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM

I am loving mine, aside from the way it is installed - great for having things rumble at night with lower volume - my only problem is when I want to use headphones I will lose the bass. How do these work with two wireless units going at once? Maybe it only needs another actual buttkicker and not the whole setup.

I downloaded that audio file to calibrate, but forgot about that until now.
post #189 of 209 Old 01-01-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus View Post

if you have an xbox 360...this method solves any bottoming out and better solid vibrations--> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17411854#post17411854
post #190 of 209 Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a question, im not sure if this butt kicker thing is right for me, sometimes i think it would be cool, but what about the time you want to relax and watch a movie, sometimes i dont think i would like getting tossed around, unless im in the mood for it. Listening to music is a relaxing time for me as well, does this ever become an annoyance for some people like myself?

Im looking to get 4 recliners joined together, berkline has some with cupholders, in order to get the buttkicker to work on 4 recliners joined together, do you need 4 seperate kickers? That would get somewhat costly.
post #191 of 209 Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Picked this up during the Christmas AVS Power Buy. I had the BK Gamer, but wanted to upgrade once I got a couch. However there is a bunch of questionably things I found about this unit. Why did they remove all the indicators on the amp? There is no more level dial, crossover, hi and low frequency cutoffs...it seems like they took all the control options you had away.
I have no idea how many volume levels there are.

Also, it seems like it rattles a bit at normal volumes. I know people here have mounted it upside down, but that seems like a weird thing to have to do to use the unit the way it was intended.

I still need to do more tweaking, it seems pretty good so far, it just seems like some more thought could have gone into the design.

My Theater Gallery
Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #192 of 209 Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I was helping my brother in law calibrate his buttkicker bka 300 kit at his house. He didn't have an xbox 360 so I tried using his computer.

the first thing i did was:

i installed ac3 filter - download here --> http://ifile.it/2b9oa83
i also used this 20hz file - download here --> http://ifile.it/4tpls9o/20hz.mp3
and to play the 20 hz file use media player classic - download here --> http://ifile.it/ndb4cpt

the settings below are for movie playback: after changing the settings below, save both main preset and matrix preset as "buttkicker"...in this version of ac3filter you will have to load both presets before and after calibration

check that your master volume control levels are set to max

run ac3filter, load standard preset in the main tab, set gain to zero. Save preset as "buttkicker". Click Apply

click on the mixer tab, enter values for the mixing matrix section in pic below and uncheck auto gain control, uncheck auto matrix and uncheck bass redirection. Save matrix preset as "buttkicker". Click apply

The settings below are for calibrating the buttkicker: after changing the settings (in the pic below) in ac3filter, save both main preset and matrix preset as "calibrate" for faster access for future calibration

1.) run ac3filter, set the gain to 8 in the ac3filter main properties. Save preset as "calibrate". Click Apply:

2.) click on the mixer tab and make sure the mixing matrix values are set like the pic below. also make sure auto gain, auto matrix, and bass redirection are all unchecked like pic below. You can save the matrix preset as "calibrate". Click Apply:

3.) lay buttkicker next to you, upside down (on couch or bed). set your receiver to stereo and front speakers to small to hear the low frequency from the laptop's audio out.

4.) play 20 hz mp3 file with media player classic, check that volume of media player is set to max

5.) increase or decrease the level of the buttkicker and set it's level right before the distinct metal on metal clicking sound. So once you hear the metal on metal clicking of the buttkicker drop one level below that sound.

6.) open ac3 filter and return the gain to zero in the main properties (or if you saved your preset, click the drop down dialog box under 'preset', choose "buttkicker" and click LOAD). also check the mixer by clicking the mixer tab and check that all mixing matrix values are set and auto gain, auto matrix, and bass redirection are unchecked. Click Apply.

7.) buttkicker is now calibrated and will never bottom out and now have a solid, full vibration. I recommend keeping the buttkicker upside down. I keep the buttkicker advance attached to the couch mount and slide the mount (upside down) under my matress or couch cushion if i cant permanently mount it.
post #193 of 209 Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 AM

I know this is a dated thread, but I'd like to pick one of these up online and it seems like everybody's stocked out!

Is it just increased demand or is Buttkicker going through a product redesign?

Just curious.
post #194 of 209 Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I'm about to pull the trigger on some theater seats and I'm considering having them preinstalled with buttkicker advanced. Can someone chime in about the best amplifier you get to support 8, please? I’m considering (2) BKA300-4’s, but I figured I’d get those was more experienced to provide some opinions. Thanks ahead of time!
post #195 of 209 Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

Can this amp be used with a DIY (or other unpowered) sub?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #196 of 209 Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What is the default volume/intensity level when the BKA300 amp is powered up? Does it remember the last volume? What is the default preset EQ upon powering up the amp? Flat movie curve? Does it remember the last preset EQ and volume if I switch off the main power?
post #197 of 209 Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't remember anything, unfortunately. And since there are no indicators, you don't even know where you are when you're there.

Fortunately, it is very easy to set up (IIRC, my settings are flat and five + on volume), and, at least in my case, it's "set and forget," so it's very easy to get back to where I am if I need to.

And it's in the Harmony database.

smile.gif

post #198 of 209 Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

It doesn't remember anything, unfortunately. And since there are no indicators, you don't even know where you are when you're there.
Fortunately, it is very easy to set up (IIRC, my settings are flat and five + on volume), and, at least in my case, it's "set and forget," so it's very easy to get back to where I am if I need to.
And it's in the Harmony database.
smile.gif
Have you try the volume adjustment before? Does it even start at about 50%? I fear that it might start at 10% with so much headroom till it fry my tactile transducer.
post #199 of 209 Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I *think* it actually starts at 0. If you really want to play it safe, just hit "-" a half dozen times before you play anything, but I think we can trust the company not to be THAT stupid. Maybe. wink.gif

I have two very nice, fairly expensive ceiling fans with lights. If the power goes out or is disconnected, the next time you turn them on, the light and fan each go on full blast. Very annoying. VERY stupid.

post #200 of 209 Old 08-10-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I *think* it actually starts at 0.
It doesn't start at 0. On the first time I powered it up, it powered my transducer with authority.

Every time the main power switch is cut off and on, the BK300 amp resets its volume level....back to preset default volume, which I guess is about 80%.
post #201 of 209 Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I think we can trust the company not to be THAT stupid. Maybe. wink.gif

I will keep that in mind, and will look for a "You can't fix stupid" bumper sticker (yes, I've actually seen one).

post #202 of 209 Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Will the BKA300 run 2 Buttkicker Advanced?

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #203 of 209 Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yes, it will. You have to wire them in series though... positive from amp to positive of advance #1, then from negative of advance #1 to positive of advance #2. And then from negative of advance #2 to negative of amp.
post #204 of 209 Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Yes, it will. You have to wire them in series though... positive from amp to positive of advance #1, then from negative of advance #1 to positive of advance #2. And then from negative of advance #2 to negative of amp.

Thanks, 2nd question. Can I run 3 advanced Buttickers off one amp or will it not provide enough power?

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #205 of 209 Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
No, 3 will not work.... but technically you can run 4 if wired up correctly also.... here is a link to a handy cross reference showing the various amp/transducer combos and wiring possibilities...

http://thebuttkicker.com/product-configuration#
post #206 of 209 Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM

Hi,

I have a question about the Buttkickers and their connections :
Can I use the Subwoofer out of my BD player (Panasonic BDT500) while I also use a AV receiver connected by HDMI ?
Is that an option when you don't want to use a "Y" wire from your subwoofer preout of the AV reciever ?

Thank you.
post #207 of 209 Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, I even think that is the preferred method because the output from your BD player will not be equalized and/or delayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg33 View Post

Hi,

I have a question about the Buttkickers and their connections :
Can I use the Subwoofer out of my BD player (Panasonic BDT500) while I also use a AV receiver connected by HDMI ?
Is that an option when you don't want to use a "Y" wire from your subwoofer preout of the AV reciever ?

Thank you.
post #208 of 209 Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post

Yes, I even think that is the preferred method because the output from your BD player will not be equalized and/or delayed.
Thank you for your answer.

Do you mean that I should go for the "Y" cable ?
I will connect the BKA-1000N amplifier to the subwoofer output of my BD player, so I will be able to control my BK volume.
I agree for the delay since I cannot change it within the menus of my BD player...

But nobody does that ? Are you all using the "Y" plug ?

Thank you.
post #209 of 209 Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would use the output from the bluray player and worry about the delay only if you feel it is out of sync with the action on the screen. I don't anticipate it will be. I am using a y splitter from the sub outputs only because I don't have one on the bluray player.

Even if you connect it to the sub outputs on the receiver, you won't be able to mess with the delays or you will compromise the sound coming out of your subs. If the time difference is noticable or significant using the bluray player output, you could buy a processor to introduce a delay but I don't think you will need to go that far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg33 View Post

Thank you for your answer.

Do you mean that I should go for the "Y" cable ?
I will connect the BKA-1000N amplifier to the subwoofer output of my BD player, so I will be able to control my BK volume.
I agree for the delay since I cannot change it within the menus of my BD player...

But nobody does that ? Are you all using the "Y" plug ?

Thank you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Buttkicker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page