Another "help me choose a sub"...but with PICTURES! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey gents...I have either settled on or already bought the rest of our home theater and this is the final piece that I'm still ???? about.

Here is what I can tell you guys:

Our living room is pretty large: 18'x16'x8' (2592 cubic feet) with, as you can see from the picture, the entire 'rear' of the room is open (to the dining area and kitchen).

It's quite possible that we'll be moving in a few months and our living room will then be quite smaller...something along the lines of 13'x12'x8' (1248 cubic feet). So please keep this in mind.

Our TV is a Mitsubishi WD-65831 and is hooked up to:
- DTV HDDVR (HDMI)
- 360 (Component)
- PS3 (HDMI)
- Wii (RCA)
...all of which will be fed thru
- Onkyo TXSR875 Receiver

Our Speakers are all Advent Heritage series speakers:

H-500 (pair) for the fronts
H-Center (center, obv)
H-200 (pair) for the rear

So, knowing all these things, following the stickied thread up top, I bring you the following info:

Budget: I'd like to keep it under $350. Yes, I've read plenty of "just save up and buy more/better later". Well, my question for you guys that say this is this: With the rest of my system (specifically the H-500's) will I have enough 'bump' in the system to manage w/o a sub while said saving up? If not, then please continue...

Size requirements/limits: Um, we don't really have any. I guess if I were to say, I'd like to keep it to a 10" or 12" sub...esp. considering my budget.

Room dimensions: See above.

Primary uses: It's probably 90% movies/TV (sports and cooking shows ) and 10% music. We'll be using the XM channels thru DTV as well as our Ipods, mainly, hooked up thru the 875.

Listening Habits: Well, during movies, yes we want it to seem as though we're in a theater. But otherwise, I'd say it's quite 'normal' as far as volume goes. I'm a bit hard of hearing (thanks to being on aircraft carriers for 5 years in the USMC), but not excessively so.

Appearance requirements: Ideally, we'd want a plain black cube, but open to other ideas. Not a huge issue. Just prefer black.

Timeframe: Prior to Christmas, if possible, but I could suck it up if the sub were worth it. But again, with our budget, probably a non-issue here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

Best you are going to do for the money. And it is no slouch at all will beat the shi% out of ANY sub you can buy at best buy or CC for twice the money. That price includes shipping.

Can't fix stupid
Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmmmm, smellyhash? your name has me intrigued. I wonder what it means
Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Liked: 12
yeah, the eD is probably the best bang for the buck for that price, unless you decide you are going to save for something more expensive (and you won't get it by Christmas, alas), in which case you could buy one of the PA-120's for $229 as a cheaper "get me through for now" option while you save. Although you might be surprised by how well the PA or eD perform for the money and decide you don't need to spend more--I'm guessing you would come on here going "wow!"

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolratt View Post

Hmmmm, smellyhash? your name has me intrigued. I wonder what it means

It says what it means and means what it says.

Can't fix stupid
Old 12-13-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I really wish that I could demo these subs. I appreciate scubie offering me the opportunity to demo his, but NY is a bit far from Vegas....