4Likes

post #751 of 840 Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:

has anyone with concrete floor had issues with the sub rattling off the floor.

I use a gym "puzzle mat" square (similar to this one) under each of my subs. They're cheap, and they work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 840 Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks like a nice substitue for an auralex!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #753 of 840 Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

For concrete floors, installing a set of taller 3M half-round rubber bump-ons usually fixes the issue. Send us a note at custservice@svsound.com and we'll send you out a set at N/C.

Also, a small piece of carpeting under the subwoofer, or an isolation pad like the Auralex SubDude (or similar product) will also work.

awesome. thanks ed, glad to hear there's a simple solution. i think the biggest issues i'll have to deal with is the downgrade i had to make from the pb13u .
post #754 of 840 Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I use a gym "puzzle mat" square (similar to this one) under each of my subs. They're cheap, and they work great.

does it stop rattling of items? as an auralex does?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #755 of 840 Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

does it stop rattling of items? as an auralex does?

No, the left-back wall sconce that's prone to intermittent rattling during high-output LFE scenes still rattles intermittently. If it didn't, I would be somewhat disappointed that the "mats" were absorbing acoustic energy from my subs that should be emanating out into the room and rattling that sconce...and me.
post #756 of 840 Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nation View Post

Thanks!... I actually noticed the limiter light was coming on quite a bit, though. During a movie like Inception, at least every 30 seconds or so.

I'm going to experiment a bit more with placement. Judging by the diagram I uploaded a few posts ago, would to the left of the couch against the wall be a good choice? Or perhaps to the immediate right?

As others have said placement is everything.

Looks like you have a Denon. I leave Dynamic Volume Off when I'm watching movies and want it loud. I only have it on when watching after hours and everyone's sleeping...very noticeable difference.

BTW: Check out Batpig's Audyssey Guide.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #757 of 840 Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

As others have said placement is everything.

Looks like you have a Denon. I leave Dynamic Volume Off when I'm watching movies and want it loud. I only have it on when watching after hours and everyone's sleeping...very noticeable difference.

BTW: Check out Batpig's Audyssey Guide.

Denon indeed. 2112CI. I always leave Dynamic Volume off.

Checked out Batpig's guide many times. I found some useful stuff in there. Going to try and move the sub to the left of the couch. I have an end table there now, but I guess i'll have to find another spot for it(and the RC-10).
post #758 of 840 Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Help me undestand why 2 PC12 nds should sound better when they only go, as stated on their manual, to 18 Hz, when 1 PC12 PLus digs to 16 Hz? How can that be better?

I am about to buy one myself and struggeling on why 2 nds can be better than 1 PC Plus..

Can anyone help?

Listening area is 13x13 in an apartment, and like low voulume but bass that really goes deep..now and than. Cops would be on my case if go higher.. you see the dilemma maybe..
post #759 of 840 Old 06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfman View Post

Help me undestand why 2 PC12 nds should sound better when they only go, as stated on their manual, to 18 Hz, when 1 PC12 PLus digs to 16 Hz? How can that be better?

I am about to buy one myself and struggeling on why 2 nds can be better than 1 PC Plus..

Can anyone help?

Listening area is 13x13 in an apartment, and like low voulume but bass that really goes deep..now and than. Cops would be on my case if go higher.. you see the dilemma maybe..

It's to do with the way that bass frequencies interact with small rooms (small rooms include most rooms that you will find inside an ordinary home). Every sub in a small room will produce a response that is affected by the room itself, raising the SPL at some frequencies and lowering it at others; having two subs located in the right way will help balance out the raising and lowering so that a more even in-room response is possible.

Lots of people would argue that the 2Hz extension difference between a PC12-NSD and a PC12-Plus in 16Hz tune is a smaller difference, by far, than the difference between the in-room frequency response smoothness of two NSDs as compared to one Plus.

In other words there's a lot more to in-room subwoofer performance than raw extension.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #760 of 840 Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

It's to do with the way that bass frequencies interact with small rooms (small rooms include most rooms that you will find inside an ordinary home). Every sub in a small room will produce a response that is affected by the room itself, raising the SPL at some frequencies and lowering it at others; having two subs located in the right way will help balance out the raising and lowering so that a more even in-room response is possible.

Lots of people would argue that the 2Hz extension difference between a PC12-NSD and a PC12-Plus in 16Hz tune is a smaller difference, by far, than the difference between the in-room frequency response smoothness of two NSDs as compared to one Plus.

In other words there's a lot more to in-room subwoofer performance than raw extension.

Ok I see your point there. I wrote SVS also and got an aswer back very fast, and in ways you described it too. I will make up mind today..

Thanks for your input on this.
post #761 of 840 Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Any time, friend Can I just say this, though? I own an NSD and I run it in a larger space. A single PC12-NSD will dominate your place if it's 13x13x(any normal apartment ceiling height). Maybe you should buy just one first, and see whether you can put the remaining $750 into something that will serve other needs better.

If you decide that you really want the added output and the frequency response upgrade that a second PC12 will provide, you can always buy one further down the road. After you hear one properly-calibrated PC12-NSD in your space, I suspect that you will wonder why you ever even considered either the Plus or a second NSD. However, if you buy them one at a time, then it's a decision you can easily and painlessly reverse. Just a thought

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #762 of 840 Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 AM

I went with the NDS after all; as customer feedback on SVS told me it really moves air and you can feel it. That onto everything else nicely said about it. One customer review claimed he had one of both, and according to him it’s hard to tell them apart, when used at normal volume and normal sized room.
Also, as the esthetician I am, I must have one on either side of the screen, now that I read so much good about it. So eventually I will get two of them - I’m sure. The will be the only visible speakers in my theater, as I am planning on hidden speakers for rest of the seven I need.

It’s going to be juicy when done. smile.gif
post #763 of 840 Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hell yes. Believe me, I totally understand your preference for symmetry. Also, one NSD will tear it up in your room, and two, I don't even know what that will be like, but I'm sure it'll be way-past-borderline-insane. Get ready wink.gif At any rate, I think you've made the best decision. Unsolicited suggestion: while you only have one, try positioning your NSD mid-wall in the back or front. Crazy, right? No, try it.

post #764 of 840 Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 11
I think you'll be happy with the NSD also. There is usually quite a premium to be paid to get the extra performance which is usually only seen at extreme listening levels, and many times you can almost afford duals one tier lower for the price of a single of the higher tier.

I've often found duals sound much better to my ear over a single of the next higher tier in most cases, so when you do "upgrade" with a second, you'll have an improved sound and symmetry biggrin.gif.... I'd say similar output to the single of the higher tier, and you'll only be out the price of what a single of the higher tier would cost or slightly more considering shipping and all.

resolution good....
post #765 of 840 Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVrebel View Post

I think you'll be happy with the NSD also. There is usually quite a premium to be paid to get the extra performance which is usually only seen at extreme listening levels, and many times you can almost afford duals one tier lower for the price of a single of the higher tier.
I've often found duals sound much better to my ear over a single of the next higher tier in most cases, so when you do "upgrade" with a second, you'll have an improved sound and symmetry biggrin.gif.... I'd say similar output to the single of the higher tier, and you'll only be out the price of what a single of the higher tier would cost or slightly more considering shipping and all.

+1. I have two PC12-NSDs and can confirm all you say. Also, with dual subs it is much easier to get a good, smooth response across the entire room, with far less seat to seat variance. Also helped me with smoothing out room modes - much easier than doing it with one sub.

post #766 of 840 Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
OK, I also have this PC12-NSD DSP subb.

I am VERY satisfied, just now looking at the Avatar movie with my brand new 790 (sony)
OT: Why do I feel that I am looking at a much nicer/sharper more natural picture than with my other player - the Oppo 93 ??

Now, my other problems is more visible, even with a superb Audussey adjust hometheater, the subwoofer ratling is from one spot in my living room.

I should perhapse get me another sub...

Q:
I should like to buy another PC12-NSD
-- but I really cannot aford it :-((

What cheaper SVS could you recommend to "match" my PC-12?

How does this small and cheaper svs sb-12 -nsd do compared to my PC-12 ??
post #767 of 840 Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM

I don’t know about the Oppo problem, but will say this; the money you spent on a blue ray player will probably be obsolete in a year or two. That is why I always go with computer rated players, such as the VLC-player, or XMDB-player that does most of all movies out there.
Thanks everyone for the input on single or dual setup on SVS subs.
post #768 of 840 Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfman View Post

Help me undestand why 2 PC12 nds should sound better when they only go, as stated on their manual, to 18 Hz,

I also live in an apartment and I just purchased two brand new PB12-NSD subs last week from SVSound. Smoother bass response and higher output are the result. Waiting on two Auralex risers to arrive on Monday. Played the Tripod emergence scene from War of the Worlds and my entire living room/ home theater became energized with waves of bass energy that I could hear and feel.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #769 of 840 Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 AM

Liked: 20
I had a PC12-nsd and I was hugging it while some punks were looking to steal it, then I also shot my dog in the head, so he died. And then two men came to look for me to kill me.

rolleyes.gif damn nightmares
Sean Spamilton likes this.
post #770 of 840 Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

I just ordered a pc12-nsd will be here on wenesday. I have definitive technolgy 7002 with 300 watt subwoofer built in. What should I set my cross over at? Think the PC12 will sound good with these speakers? I have a definitve technology 3000 with subwoofer built in for center, and 4 defitivite surround sound all with subs built in, and I also have a 600 watt definitve cube.

Thanks
post #771 of 840 Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have two PC12-NSD's in my 15x16x9 room. The sound is great and the response curves are pretty darn good.

Here is my question--I bought my first '12 1.5 years ago. A month ago, I decided it was worth the money to buy a second one (and after having both of them, it IS a good idea). One thing I have noticed-when both are in "Standby" mode and then have a lower-level signal applied, the newer one pops out of standby immediately (as it should). The older one seems to require a higher signal level to come out of standby. Also-the older sub seems to want to go back to standby faster than the new one. Info-the newer sub is "daisy-chianed" from the older one, if that makes any difference. So, this begs the question--why are the Standby "activate" levels different on these two same model subs? Any ideas or comments from anybody? Don't misunderstand me-the sound of these subs is superb. I really like them. I just don't understand why the Standby activate modes are different between them. Thanks for any responses.
post #772 of 840 Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 801
What is the signal strength? IIRC, the never versions have a 100mv trigger voltage. What's the trigger voltage of the older model? Can you measure the voltage? I've read of frustrations with new trigger voltages vs old trigger voltages.
post #773 of 840 Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Sadly, no, I don't have the means to measure the trigger voltage. And, really, this isn't a major problem. Just an annoyance I've discovered. Thanks for the response.
post #774 of 840 Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

Sadly, no, I don't have the means to measure the trigger voltage. And, really, this isn't a major problem. Just an annoyance I've discovered. Thanks for the response.

Hope my comments and suggestion help. Can you borrow a mult-meter from a friend?

Can you give SVS a call and find out what the different trigger voltages are? The second sub could be drawing the voltage down by just enough to mess up the triggering of the older unit.
post #775 of 840 Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 AM

I have my PC12-NSD SVS Cylinder waiting at the local fed ex office and will pick it up tommorow, I was wondering how big the box is I have a mid size car I am hoping it will fit in my car

Thanks
mike
post #776 of 840 Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi Mike -

The PC12-NSD package is 20"x20"x40". If your rear seats fold down, it might fit in from the truck, or possibly across the back seats.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #777 of 840 Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 719
It should fit in your backseat fine. I fit one in box In he back seat of a Subaru imprezza

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #778 of 840 Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

It should fit in your backseat fine.

Nudge nudge, winky winky, say no more, say no more

post #779 of 840 Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 129
PC-12 NSD Noobster on board. Mine arrived this week to replace a worst-in-class 8" sub I should have tossed years ago. We got it back when we needed a really small sub, and it was always that, in more ways than one.

But if the design goal for that thing was to make a speaker that would distract and annoy every time you played it, then mission accomplished. Ecstatic that it's finally in the trash.

But the "before and after" only makes the PC-12 sound better. What a monster. It looks great, and sounds incredible. Deep and powerful, quick and true. A true subwoofer that is filling a 14.5 x 19.5 x 9 room effortlessly with genuine, tight bass and LFE.

I couldn't be happier. Well done SVS. Well done indeed. cool.gif

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #780 of 840 Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have had my dual PC-12 NSD's now for about a month. I have to tell a funny story on myself. When I first set these up and ran through the Audyssey setup (I have a Denon X4000) - I was all set to hear some really impressive bass - and I have to be honest - I was really bummed that I didn't get that impact that I expected. I played various things - a Blu-Ray of Adele that I particularly like, Eagles Farewell Tour, and then some movies such as Pirates of the Carribbean and most recently Oblivion. I was hearing some of the really low stuff - but the music really lacked any oomph at all. My fronts and surrounds were all being crossed over at 90 or higher from the Audyssey setup.

I started to think that perhaps it was due to the locations I had picked for the subs - I have them in the front 2 corners of the room and so was thinking that I needed to do the subcrawl to figure out where I needed to locate them. And I still should probably do that.

But since I wasn't really getting the output from the subs that I had expected - I started looking at the settings regarding how the sub was set up in the AVR. And lo and behold I found that the sub output was set to LFE only (which made sense given what I was hearing) vs LFE+main.

Well - you can imagine the difference changing that made. And suddenly I was a very happy camper - these are truly amazing subs and watching a movie like Oblivion really makes them shine.

I am not sure how this setting got changed. I could have sworn I had set it up correctly - but I suppose I could have accidentally changed it to LFE only and not realized it.

So the moral of that story is if your new SVS subs seem to missing that oomph - you likely have something fubarred in your settings like I did. Just a shame that I lived with it that way for a week or two before realizing what the problem was.

- Scott
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers