post #812 of 840 Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post

Well alright...Look what came today smile.gif

Looking forward to pics and initial impressions once you're up and running ... congrats !

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #813 of 840 Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I'm working at home patiently waiting ... hope there isn't any damage to the units ...
You won't have any damage -- SVS packaging is crazy good, as you've seen by now. How do things sound?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #814 of 840 Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I'm working at home patiently waiting. I hope they deliver soon so I can head into the office for a few hours ...

MCNE, let us know what you think when you've got everything up and running.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #815 of 840 Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll post a picture of where I placed the units later with I'm back in the room this evening. First thing I did was compare the sound with the PL-200 unit it was replacing. Only hooked up one at that time but the PL-200 was close enough with playing Top Gun but not so much with music. The PC12 hit home with music all the way. Even though I mostly watch movies I occasionally will stream from my NAS or the Internet radio. I actually stream my movies from a NAS as well.

I did have a couple of issues that weren't huge but enough to ask a question.
  1. The fit an finish on each unit was a little different. On of the units is slightly taller than the other. Anyone else see this?
  2. The fabric at the bottom of both was not tucked and secured. Not sure if this is the way is should be but looks unfinished to me. On device the fabric was longer than the other. Something I can secure if needed but its just hanging there. Is this right?
  3. The SVS Emblem on one unit was missed...they are sending me another (not a huge deal.

Movies:

I then moved on hooking them both up in the room and again started Top Gun. UNREAL! This was what I was looking for with an upgrade. I felt the bass down stairs in my house (4,000sf) in the far corner where my office is located. I need to go back up and make an adjustment in my receiver. It was LOUD. I really did see or feel it over power the room until I was messing around with Netflix and started a movie call Death Race Inferno. The damn doors were rattling so bad I need to have them reinforced. Need to finish that movie tonight and load Domino later.

Totally happy thus far. Those items I mentioned earlier are workable. Glad I bought two because one would not have done it for me. The second one put me over the top and allowed me to dial it back just a little.

WOW, worth every penny!
post #816 of 840 Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 PM

The performance sounds great, which is the most important thing, but the fit and finish issues are a surprise -- especially the units being different heights. Is one sub missing feet, or are the feet different? I bought a refurb and a factory new months apart and they were, as anyone would expect, completely identical in appearance and function. What is the height differential between your two subs?

post #817 of 840 Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM

The height difference is minimal but the fabric at the bottom was a surprise. I'd like to see how others look. I need to take a picture this after noon.

Picture...Note fabric below

Picture...placement

TomC1315 and retro124 like this.
post #818 of 840 Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I recently tried an SB12 NSD and it wasn't enough for my large space and I don't think I am a sealed sub kinda guy, while they do bring some precision to the table, they lack that punchy grunt ported subs seem to be able to delivery more easily. So I have a PC12-NSD in the mail now... it's going on the 'listening' setup in my sig.. looking very forward getting this bad boy into the mix. smile.gif

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #819 of 840 Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:

The height difference is minimal but the fabric at the bottom was a surprise. I'd like to see how others look.
That's a great looking room MCNE. On my phone I can't see the fabric issue, but I'll try again when I get home this weekend.

post #820 of 840 Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Its a little hard to see but if you look the fabric isn't tucked at all. As is it can be folded about 1/2 inch under the cylinder. Both units are like this. Might take another pick folding it.
post #821 of 840 Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
question for pc12 nsd/svs owners. i have the pc12 nsd connected to my avr via the "left line in" in my 5.1 setup.

i was curious....

1. can i also connect a stereo amplifier at the same time into the "right line in" and use it in a 2.1 setup ? ie in a stereo amplifier + 2 speakers setup.

2. i intend to use this in an alternate manner one at a time. ie avr into left line in and stereo amplifier into right line in but power only one source at a time.

Is the above possible ?

What if i power on and play both the avr and the stereo amplifier and send both the signals at the same time ? What will happen then ?

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #822 of 840 Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Question to PC12 owners... I got one of those sub mat's for my SB12 which I never opened - is it worth keeping for the PC12 NSD? Our floors are laminate with concrete under... the mat is 15x15 and the PC12 is 16.5 circumference so it would stick off on the sides... I saw a pic of someone doing it though... I was about to ship the mat back as a return but just checking to see if it's worth using.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #823 of 840 Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

question for pc12 nsd/svs owners. i have the pc12 nsd connected to my avr via the "left line in" in my 5.1 setup.

i was curious....

1. can i also connect a stereo amplifier at the same time into the "right line in" and use it in a 2.1 setup ? ie in a stereo amplifier + 2 speakers setup.

2. i intend to use this in an alternate manner one at a time. ie avr into left line in and stereo amplifier into right line in but power only one source at a time.

Is the above possible ?

What if i power on and play both the avr and the stereo amplifier and send both the signals at the same time ? What will happen then ?

I don't know that I would run a signal from two different sources to a sub-woofer. I pulled this from the SVS site below so based on this I wouldn't do it but others may know more that might have tried this. I would worry about both sources be on at the same time even by accident. Especially in my house smile.gif

"SVS site: Since the Left and Right line level inputs are connected and summed internally,."
post #824 of 840 Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Subwoofer placement

I was wondering if I could get some advice on the placement of my subwoofer. I just moved my whole setup into my new apartment. I have placed the subwoofer between the media shelf and the left channel speaker. Here is a picture:

Is this a good idea? The only other things I can really do with it are to move the left and right channel speakers closer to the media shelf and put the subwoofer in the corner (basically swapping places with left channel speaker); or I could put the subwoofer next to the seating area, but to do this I'd have to go buy a very long coaxial cable to run from the subwoofer to the receiver. What do y'all think?

post #825 of 840 Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I just ... placed the subwoofer between the media shelf and the left channel speaker. Is this a good idea? ... What do y'all think?
That looks like a decent option. Have you done a sub crawl yet? Without more details on your room dimensions, and how you think this current configuration sounds, it's hard to say much more. 👍
post #826 of 840 Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNE View Post
Well alright...Look what came today

Congrats to your new twins, nice pictures let us know how do you like them. Are their yours first SVS subs?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #827 of 840 Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The height difference is minimal but the fabric at the bottom was a surprise. I'd like to see how others look. I need to take a picture this after noon.

Picture...Note fabric below

Picture...placement

Nice set up!!!

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #828 of 840 Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
That looks like a decent option. Have you done a sub crawl yet? Without more details on your room dimensions, and how you think this current configuration sounds, it's hard to say much more. 👍
The room dimensions are 14'7" x 16'10". I haven't really run any calibrations on my setup yet (I'm waiting until I get the surround speakers situated). I didn't even know what a sub crawl was. Had to Google it. I've never done that before in the past. I was mostly just curious if the placement of the sub there would cause any issues with how the front three speakers interact with each other.

post #829 of 840 Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
The room dimensions are 14'7" x 16'10". I haven't really run any calibrations on my setup yet (I'm waiting until I get the surround speakers situated) ... I was mostly just curious if the placement of the sub there would cause any issues with how the front three speakers interact with each other.
You should be good with that. How do you like the sound?
post #830 of 840 Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM

I found this subwoofer placement study by Todd Welti a while back. They ran dozens of measured tests involving anywhere from just 1 sub in a corner to more than a dozen subs located in various configurations around the room. They also ran a simulation to test what 5000 subs in a single room would sound like:

"With 5000 subwoofers, modal variation is virtually eliminated. The frequency response at all 16 seats is nearly identical."

Perfect. All I need is 4998 more subs, and I'll eliminate those irritating modal variations in my movie room.

The study concludes that two subs will usually give the maximum bang for the buck, and -- this is interesting -- that 2 subs actually perform better than 4 subs in terms of low frequency response:

"One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing wall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at the midpoints and gives a much better LF factor. One subwoofer in each corner also has good low frequency support, but does not perform quite as well as one subwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-ave and Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered, subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred."

Anyway, it's an interesting read. Wherever you have your sub(s) placed, you'll probably see a test result showing how that configuration tested. Here's the link:

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...s/multsubs.pdf
post #831 of 840 Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Tests and placement recommendations are great, but for a lot of us they forget the one key factor called a WIFE. That is a good reason for two subs, you force two options for location instead of one.
post #832 of 840 Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Congrats to your new twins, nice pictures let us know how do you like them. Are their yours first SVS subs?
Yep, first ones ever. Already thinking about a larger one in the family room but probably next year. These things are special for sure but not cheap
retro124 likes this.
post #833 of 840 Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, first ones ever. Already thinking about a larger one in the family room but probably next year. These things are special for sure but not cheap
You are right, not cheap but I think money well spend on SVS subs. I bought my first PC12-Plus 3 months ago and now I have 2 of those and it is all what I need , I'm very happy with them amazing subs.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #834 of 840 Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 PM

I missed this from SVS quoted below. Really nice option for the customer since technology and enhancement are on-going. Not sure how often they enhance this model but this is very nice! Never seen this before with a consumer sub or home theater device.

"1-Year Performance Guarantee
If SVS improves the performance of a model you purchased, we will upgrade it to current standards at no charge within 1 year of your purchase."

MCNE
XBRSteve likes this.
post #835 of 840 Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bumping this thread to ask what kind of real in-room extension users are getting? SVS site indicates tuning point of 18Hz; any usable down near 10Hz?

Looking at dual of the NSD's vs. dual of the Plus' for a 2,900 cu. ft room. Talked to Ed and he recommended Plus' to ensure that extra headroom. But I don't listen at high volumes, so not sure whether the extra price tag of the Plus' would be worth it, unless the NSD's just wouldn't cut it in my room. Also don't know whether the actual in-room extension of the Plus' (in 20Hz mode) would be any different than the NSD's.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; Velodyne DLS-5000R
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
post #836 of 840 Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
Bumping this thread to ask what kind of real in-room extension users are getting? SVS site indicates tuning point of 18Hz; any usable down near 10Hz?

Looking at dual of the NSD's vs. dual of the Plus' for a 2,900 cu. ft room. Talked to Ed and he recommended Plus' to ensure that extra headroom. But I don't listen at high volumes, so not sure whether the extra price tag of the Plus' would be worth it, unless the NSD's just wouldn't cut it in my room. Also don't know whether the actual in-room extension of the Plus' (in 20Hz mode) would be any different than the NSD's.
In a fairly large room like that don't count on much room gain. Figure that a couple dB below where the sub drops off, so will it in room.

I love my Plus simply for the extra tuning options and PEQs. The PEQs in particularly drastically helped my setup.

I think you would find most people run the Plus in 16Hz mode. The PC12 is tuned to 20Hz as well. With dual Plus's you would definitely want to run them in 16Hz mode IMO and get usable extension down to 14-15Hz.
post #837 of 840 Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
... Looking at dual of the NSD's vs. dual of the Plus' for a 2,900 cu. ft room ... I don't listen at high volumes, so not sure whether the extra price tag would be worth it, unless the NSD's just wouldn't cut it in my room.
Our primary listening room is almost the exact same size. We put dual NSD's in about a year ago. Every room response is different, but in our specific space, those dual NSD's are earth shaking monsters. Butt kickers without the butt kickers. Anything more in that room would be overkill. YMMV.

With the superb SVS customer Bill of Roghts, you could start with the dual NSD's, and then upgrade to the Plus if you found them lacking (seems unlikely) without penalty.

Post back with decision and outcome!

Cheers.
post #838 of 840 Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I received by PC12-NSD yesterday and have been thoroughly enjoying it! My speakers consist of Definitive Technology BP-8060ST/CS-8060HD/SR-8040BP. This is my first SVS sub and now I know why everyone here always talks about SVS quality & performance. Ed from SVS helped me along the way during calibration, I learned a great deal.
post #839 of 840 Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Our primary listening room is almost the exact same size. We put dual NSD's in about a year ago. Every room response is different, but in our specific space, those dual NSD's are earth shaking monsters. Butt kickers without the butt kickers. Anything more in that room would be overkill. YMMV.

With the superb SVS customer Bill of Roghts, you could start with the dual NSD's, and then upgrade to the Plus if you found them lacking (seems unlikely) without penalty.

Post back with decision and outcome!

Cheers.

Glad to hear this success story about the NSD's. I find myself leaning toward the NSD's for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the total cost. I'm thinking that even though I know these wouldn't go super low, they will go low enough for my listening tastes.

I know the Plus' would go a good bit lower and they have the multiple tuning and PEQ options; and Ed suggested the Plus' to me - but I'll admit I am still having a difficult time justifying to myself an extra $1k for "headroom" that I don't see me ever needing (not that I am an expert on these things). I'm sure I could solve any PEQ stuff with a mini-dsp setup that will cost me much less than $1k.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; Velodyne DLS-5000R
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
post #840 of 840 Old 09-18-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear this success story about the NSD's. I find myself leaning toward the NSD's for a number of reasons ...
If that extra money can have a "greater return" spent elsewhere in your room, you'll find a way to do that.

I had another reason to want the NSD's to work. In my HTS, the added height of the Plus speakers would have put them slightly into the image area for any front row viewers that put themselves in full recline. The NSD's avoid that issue completely.

The NSD's are easily the best subs I've ever owned, and among the best I've heard. For certain rooms and requirements, the Plus would be the way to go, but the NSD's are perfect for my space.

Hats off to the whole cylinder design concept. My wife has always hated sub enclosures, and grumbled about why we had to have them. But she loves the way these velvet covered bad boys look. She actually LIKES THEM. If I'm dreaming please don't wake me up. Honestly, I don't know what I like better, the OOMPH or the WAF. Might be a tie.
TomC1315 likes this.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page