AVS Forum banner

SVS New PC12-NSD Owners

155K views 843 replies 189 participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·
I did a search but can't find much on the new PC12-NSD. I find all kinds of great info on the PC13 Ultra and even the new PC12-Plus. So anyone have one of these or is looking into getting one? I really want a great sub but I'm not sure I want to spend the money of some of the higher priced subs.

So lets hear some thoughts on this very nicely priced sub.

See less See more
#127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjl /forum/post/15891631

Thanks for the replies guys about the packing of the pc12-nsd. I got a memo from Ron and it looks like the online info is not accurate. According to him the shipping weight is 60 lbs. so I'm good to go without the whopping excess weight surcharge - that is until someone talks me into going with the pc12-plus!

I'll play the devil's advocate. You should get the pc12-plus.

#128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjl /forum/post/15891631

Thanks for the replies guys about the packing of the pc12-nsd. I got a memo from Ron and it looks like the online info is not accurate. According to him the shipping weight is 60 lbs. so I'm good to go without the whopping excess weight surcharge - that is until someone talks me into going with the pc12-plus!

Shipping weight also includes any charges for oversize containers. So actual weight and shipping weight may not be the same. You also need to check on this with the airline.

Before you ship this to Japan, you should open it along the taped edges, remove the sub and test it. You don't want to get overseas and find out there is something wrong. I would also buy extra fuses in the states. Ask SVS if they can include a few. They may be difficult to find in Japan. I had trouble finding one here in the US.

#129 ·
Yeah, I gonna get nailed for overweight and oversized surcharges. I called United and it'll be $24 and $84 for each so I figure that's not too terrible. If I were to go with the 12 plus, then the weight fee really skyrockets so I'll pass on that for now. Good advice to check it out before shipping - thanks.

Has anybody purchased the HT setup dvd that SVS sells on their site? THere's a bundle with the Radio Shack SPL meter. I'd like the meter but wonder if the dvd is worth it?

#130 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjl /forum/post/15897053

Yeah, I gonna get nailed for overweight and oversized surcharges. I called United and it'll be $24 and $84 for each so I figure that's not too terrible. If I were to go with the 12 plus, then the weight fee really skyrockets so I'll pass on that for now. Good advice to check it out before shipping - thanks.

Has anybody purchased the HT setup dvd that SVS sells on their site? There's a bundle with the Radio Shack SPL meter. I'd like the meter but wonder if the dvd is worth it?

I didn't buy mine from SVS and wound up paying about $90 buying them separately. Many use the Avia disk for system set up. It also includes video setup features. If you are where Netflix ships, you can rent the Avia disk.

Have you asked if SVS can ship it to Japan for you? It might be less than shipping to where you are now, then shipping again to Japan.

#132 ·
dannyjl -- IMHO you would be better off getting the RS (the analog version is recommended) SPL meter directly from RS ($45) and buying the "Rives Audio Test CD 2" ( http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html ) direct from Rives Audio ($21). That's a better combination for calibrating sub-woofers (and less money). That CD has special test tracks that are corrected for the calibration curve of the RS SPL meter, so no special error correction steps need to be done.

The LFE on the AVIA DVD is not that accurate, AFIK (although AVIA II may be better than my older version is). I got the AVIA II as a freebie with my new PJ, but I haven't tried it yet.

PS -- Rives Audio is in the custom room acoustics business.

Just found the reference article => http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...udio-test-cd-2 .

#133 ·
FYI-

I placed an order for the PC12-NSD last night.

Was told that the "introductory price" will probably only be good till the end of this month. If your on the fence regarding this sub, you only have a couple days to decide.

Remember....February is a short month...

#134 ·
UPS lists the shipping weight as:

Service: GROUND

Weight: 60.00 Lbs

You might want to see if SVS will allow you to ship the driver and the amp/housing separately and if that will reduce your shipping costs. Obviously "Some assembly will be required". They have done that in the past for people who physically are not allowed to receive packages over X weight (Military usually)

#135 ·
I'll go with the analog spl meter - thanks. As far as the weight, it's only $24 for a box 50-70 lbs. - it's the oversize box that rings up the higher surcharge so I'll just ship it as is for better protection. Better get that order in soon to beat the sale deadline. Thanks for the info and tips everyone.

#136 ·
Placed the order last night (pc12-nsd) as the rep said the deal could finish today or last another two months. Nothing like a definitive timeline. He also flipped when I told him this was going to Japan. He's not supposed to know that as they aren't allowed to ship to Japan - their products aren't certified for use there. I know one thing - my neighbors/roommate (wife) will have me certified once I hook this beast up!

#139 ·
stitch,

my room is 18x14x8 (so roughly half the size of your room) and when i had my one of my NSDs hooked up, it was plenty loud, clean and tight (and i didnt even crank it up anywhere near its max). so i think it would be fine in your room if you turn the gain up a bit more than me. then i hooked up my second NSD... it is completely overkill for my tiny room but i am big on dual subs. now i have to turn the gain down even more otherwise the pair of NSD will completely overpower the rest of my speakers.

good luck on your order.

#142 ·
I ordered my NSD early tuesday and its now thursday night and i still did not get an email letting me know that its been shipped out. I was really hoping to get it this friday and play with it this weekend.

It will be paired up with a pair of floor standing pinnacle speakers rated down to 27hz. the room size is 14x30x9. I wonder how well the NSD will match my floor standing speakers. I will also calibrate the sub with a pioneer receiver.

#144 ·
(pharmd) Same here.... I ordered on Monday night ( 2/23/09 ) and still haven't heard anything. I was also hoping to get it at least by this weekend to set it up....Web site states that they usually ship in 1-2 days!!!

Maybe i'll drop them an e-mail to find out what the delay is and post back when they reply..

(edit:for clarification) Didn't mean to imply I did not receive any communication..I received e-mail that they rec'd the order as soon as I placed it.. Just haven't received any further communication indicating that it has left factory or shipped..

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg /forum/post/15928778

I ordered mine on 2/24/09....haven't heard anything as well. One of the reasons I went with SVS is the service everyone raves about. If I don't hear anything today I might have to consider canceling and going to a shop in town here...!

Have you tried calling them?

they always pick up and if they are busy with another customer they take your # and call you back.

#149 ·
Borg/pharmd

Shot an e-mail to svs and got an almost immediate response. They were working on backorders and overseas shipments..

I was informed that my order should ship later today since backorders should be cleared.

However, due to increased sales of 12"NSD's there is the potential for a possible outage" starting Monday that could delay orders by at most 10 days.

I strongly suggest that you give them a call and get an update on the status of your order..It can't hurt!!!

Borg- I wouldn't cancel... Just give them a "call" and inquire about your order #.

note: This is my first order from SVS and to date the Customer Service has been great!!! even if I only had minor/general inquiries....

If anyone is placing an order I would call to see if you are potentially hit by the outage..At least you will have the knowledge of knowing upfront that your order might be delayed 10 days (which isn't that bad). It beats sitting there in front of your computer waiting for the e-mail advising you that yes it has shipped!!

#150 ·
Right - we were clearing BOs and working on a huge European order.

Demand for NSD-based products increased >300% in Q1 2009 and we just got caught short-handed on 12" NSD woofs. We're building more woofs and expect to start shipping new orders again o/a 3-6-09. We posted a notice posted on the affected product pages. I apologize for the inconvenience and please email us at sales with any questions.

#151 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen /forum/post/15929522

Right - we were clearing BOs and working on a huge European order.

Demand for NSD-based products increased >300% in Q1 2009 and we just got caught short-handed on 12" NSD woofs. We're building more woofs and expect to start shipping new orders again o/a 3-6-09. We posted a notice posted on the affected product pages. I apologize for the inconvenience and please email us at sales with any questions.

Wow! Great news, Ed
. What recession, huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.