Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 834 Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey all

i apologize if this has been discussed already, but i'm receiving my PC12-NSD in the morning and need a few questions answered...

1. my receiver is an onkyo TX-SR606...is a sub cable all i need to connect the two? where would the cable go into the sub?

2. will the audyssey setup configure the crossover setting on the sub automatically, or will i have to adjust it manually? if so, what setting would you recommend?

3. i have also been recommended to turn the phase/gain settings halfway on the sub prior to running audyssey...is this the way to go?

thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 834 Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_019 View Post

hey all

i apologize if this has been discussed already, but i'm receiving my PC12-NSD in the morning and need a few questions answered...

1. my receiver is an onkyo TX-SR606...is a sub cable all i need to connect the two? where would the cable go into the sub?

2. will the audyssey setup configure the crossover setting on the sub automatically, or will i have to adjust it manually? if so, what setting would you recommend?

3. i have also been recommended to turn the phase/gain settings halfway on the sub prior to running audyssey...is this the way to go?

thanks for the help!

Please contact us in Tech Support for assistance, as there are some specific pitfalls associated with auto-EQ that we'd like you to avoid.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #183 of 834 Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Please contact us in Tech Support for assistance, as there are some specific pitfalls associated with auto-EQ that we'd like you to avoid.

Ed, up a bit early are we?
post #184 of 834 Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm having an issue with my PC12-NSD but before I call SVS, I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Last week, I had a power outage which I believe has led to this problem. My PC12 won't automatically turn on when I turn on my system. The other day I was watching a movie and noticed I wasn't getting bass when I should be so I checked the sub and the red light was on in the back. I had to turn it off and turn it back on to get it to change to a green light. I thought I had plugged it into my UPS system but it appears I plugged it into a regular wall outlet.
Next time I watched a movie, I checked again and I had the same problem - the sub didn't automatically turn on. I had to turn it off and back on again.
Is this a blown fuse problem from the power outage? Some other possible electrical issue? Anyone else have theirs not turn automatically on?

Edit: I ended up emailing tech support and Jack informed me that it could be a number of things causing this. He suggested I turn it from auto to on so that it stays on all the time. So I did that. I didn't even know where was that option in the back. I guess I didn't pay attention.
post #185 of 834 Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Anyone else with pics of their PC12? Two more days until the PC12-NSD arrives!

[HT]

Energy RC-70 Rosenut
Energy RC-LCR Rosenut
Energy Veritas 1.0CM
SVS PC12-NSD
Pioneer SC-1522-K

[Desktop]

Emotiva Airmotiv 4

Sennheiser HD555 modded

Pics of my setup

post #186 of 834 Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM

My PC12-NSD is scheduled to be delivered on 3/20.. I had a Cambridge Soundworks die on me about a year ago, about the time I got my 50" plasma, so I have been without a bottom for far too long. After reading all the input on this "starter" unit, I know this is gonna be good.
post #187 of 834 Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Took the pictures down. May put em back up at a different location.
post #188 of 834 Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Gorstag thank you for the awesome pictures !!!
I followed this thread for quite some time, been looking for a new sub for the last few months, and I kept getting back to SVS. So I finally put my order In at L-sound, they are supposed to get in the 27th and ship march 30th so I'm very excited to say the least !
I come from a B&W Solid PB100 70 watt sub, it only goes to 35hz which isn't very low, so I will expect a HUGE leap in sound performance!
How is your sub treating you Gorstag?
Some short reviews are welcome

As far as mine goes I'll keep you posted.
post #189 of 834 Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 PM

For me its the first time I have owned a sub that is not boomy. It is really hard to describe.. It is just clean and really fills in the sound / feel. There have been a couple of times that I have forgot to turn it on and end up thinking to myself "Man, this audio track really sucks".

Since I have setup this new sound system (SCS-01 front 3 + 2 SBS-01 surrounds and the PC12-NSD) on my computer for games/movies I have a really hard time watching TV / movies at friend's houses. The audio from TV's is significantly lacking.

In bass heavy movies the sub is great. I have no regrets at all.

Btw: The Incredible Hulk is extremely impressive. Especially in the scene where he busts out of the glass walkway.
post #190 of 834 Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM

Just got my PC12-NSD yesterday and set it up with an SPL meter.
WOW!
I previously had a Paradigm PDR-8 which is completely blown away by this sub.

I swear the cannon fight scene at the beginning of "Master And Commander" made my pants legs flap and the sub is about 12 feet away.

Needless to say I am quite happy with it so far.

Some pictures...
CD on top for size comparison...

New and old subwoofers...

Had it next to my front speakers but moved to corner, sounds better there...
post #191 of 834 Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Awesome pics and thanks for the props. The slightly shorter height of the PC12-NSD as compared to its predecessor the 20-39 PCi has simply been a huge hit with customers. We fiddled with enclosure size and system tuning frequency a long time before settling on the current combination and its just been a great performer and really popular.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #192 of 834 Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Ed and all the people that put in the hard work at SVS!!! I am way more then happy with my SVS system. Keep up the good work!!!

Also it is very cool to see you and the others on this forum. It really gives me the feeling you all care what we the customers think and want in our products.
post #193 of 834 Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM

Great picture. I´ll get a NSD at the en of this month.
post #194 of 834 Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
Someone a few days back was asking for pictures of installed PC12-NSD subs. I just got mine finally dialed in. They're in the corners, behind the JSE front L&R speakers.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
post #195 of 834 Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Please, now that you have 2 of this bad boys installed, can you share the differences you hear between using only or the two of them for music and movies ?
Is it just louder, better ? what ?

Thank you.
post #196 of 834 Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Well, here are some initial impressions regarding using two of the PC12-NSD subs:

Bass seems more effortless, with absolutely no sense of strain no matter how loud I play music or movies. Not that there was a problem before, but now I can clearly hear that while my front mains (JSE .6's) driven by a B&K ST-202 150wpc pwr. amp begin to sound strained at extremely high volume levels, the subs are just cruising along, pumping out prodigious amounts of bass, effortlessly. On music, anyway, the reach of these subs seems very, very good. I've yet to put on my movie blockbusters, but will report when I do.

The bass is very tight and well-defined, as well. No boominess, just gut-busting bass notes when the source material calls for it.

The main reason I went with two has to do with room size and acoustics. The room is not that big - 15'x19', but there is a 6' opening in the left wall that opens into another 12' x 19' room. I felt there was a "pressurization" problem with only one sub - that's a lot of cubic feet. AND I felt that any room node problems (and audibly, there were some) would be smoothed out by using 2 subs in 2 locations. Also I knew with two, they should be just loafing along, no matter what demanding stuff I threw at them.

When I installed them, they are replacing an almost-new DefTech SCI subwoofer, which sells for about the same price that a pair of these do. While the DT is well-made, weighs a ton, and can play pretty loud, it really doesn't go all that deep and cannot begin to really move some air in that size room(s). One PC12-NSD actually outperforms the DT (IMHO), but two of them really smoked it's performance.

I think, after making this switch, that you simply can't beat physics. These companies can make smaller and smaller subwoofers with ever more powerful amps. But you cannot beat having some *volume* (as in cubic feet) inside your cabinet if you want to get low, effortless bass reproduction. It just ain't gonna happen, in my opinion.

So I can say, after using an M&K (MX125? 2-12" subs w/400w amp) for years, and the DefTech SuperCubeI for 4 months, that the SVS subs are just the cat's meow. Finally, I've got more than enough deep, tight, effortless bass to put a firm foundation under music and movies. And to think I only found out about 'em on this forum the middle of last week!!

Thanks to all who recommended the brand....
post #197 of 834 Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post

Please, now that you have 2 of this bad boys installed, can you share the differences you hear between using only or the two of them for music and movies ?
Is it just louder, better ? what ?

Thank you.

To answer you a little better than I did in my previous post, yes it is a little louder and better, but again - more effortless and *smoother* come to mind. With the 2 subs in different locations, audible problems that I heard with any sub I tried seemed to be minimized. I can only assume that using 2 in separate locations will tend to smooth out the room nodes that inevitably occur. It sure sounds that way to me, anyway.
post #198 of 834 Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Great to hear from you that fast.
I´ll get ONE NDS nexts week and see how things work out....but i really want 2!. Thanks again for taking the time to give me some feedback on duals NSDs.
post #199 of 834 Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Hi All.
My first post here, but I've been quietly lurking in the background here for several months.
I just place an order for a PC12-NSD and now am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I'll echo other's comments in this thread about the outstanding customer service I've received from the folks at SVS. They helped steer my choice in the right direction and didnt oversell or push any product that, a) was out of my budget, or b) was more than I really needed.

The PC12-NSD looked to be a good fit for the roomsize (17x18x9) and is the perfect footprint for the new location (corner on the opposite side from plasma). Here's a shot with my 'old' h100 sub which really didnt provide the deep base & HT experience for the room size.

Now the wait begins....
post #200 of 834 Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Are those S-38´s ? great speakers.
post #201 of 834 Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post

Are those S-38´s ? great speakers.

Yeah, I bought them new about 6-7 years ago. They've gotten very little use (they look brand new!) so I removed them from their original boxes and introduced them into the new HT set-up. I picked up the matching s-center recently and, by golly, they sure DO sound pretty sweet! I kick myself for having them in storage for the past 4 years...

They're a lot heavier than i remember, too.

post #202 of 834 Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM

Just got an email notification from UPS that my new PC12-NSD is on it's way from Ohio and should arrive on my doorstep in 3 days....awesome!

post #203 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Well, the UPS driver dropped off my new sub yesterday (Monday) afternoon it was originally scheduled for delivery last Friday, but the UPS truck took off before I could get to the door!so I had to wait all weekend for the Monday delivery...

The UPS driver says, "Looks like someone's gonna get some serious bass." I said ,"I hope so!" to which he responded, "I hope your neighbors like it."

I had my two sons lug the 60lb box upstairs to the HT room. "Looks like a medium-sized hot water heater!" states my youngest. We unpacked the contents and began the set-up & calibration. Props to SVS for doing an excellent job of packing this sub. The outer box had some rather nasty looking creases, scuffs and gouges, but the contents within were unaffected.

We positioned the PC12-NSD in a corner (see room illustration below) and hooked it up with 12-meter BetterCable interconnect to the sub-out on my receiver. Following the SVS set-up instructions using the AVR's test tones, I settled on the speakers @ 75db & the sub @ around 78db.

We played several scenes from movies just to get an initial impression of what the PC12 can do: opening cannon salvos in "Master & Commander," the tiger/panzer tanks entering the destroyed village in "Saving Private Ryan," plus some depth-charge explosions from "Das Boot." Wow! My wife came from the other side of the house wondering what the causing the 'thunder' that reverberated across the entire house (the HT room is upstairs over the garage)...lol
My sons were all for "doing it again!" so we've some time to devote this week to both music and movies. Should be fun. What a treat!
post #204 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Hey Kevin is your new SVS a noticable upgrade from your bic-h100. Congrats on the new sub.
post #205 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin View Post

Hey Kevin is your new SVS a noticable upgrade from your bic-h100. Congrats on the new sub.

Thanks, Irvin.
The real issue I had with the bic-h100 was I couldn't get it to 'blend' seamlessly into the sonic environment. I wanted solid bass for the HT experience, but I didn't want the experience to include a thumpy box that made it's room location apparent every time it was called upon to perform. I struggled with adjustments and levels and crossover and phase...but the bottom line was, it just wasnt the solution for my set-up. The resulting bass was pretty muddy and never really delivered that 'gut-wrenching' bass oomph I was hoping for. In hindsight, I probably should have opted for something larger than the H100 considering the roomsize. Live & learn...

I have to say, even in it's initial trial, the SVS delivered! The 'visceral' experience of feeling each cannon fire or explosion across the room brought grins to all our faces ("whoa...! THAT was cool!"). What I also enjoyed was the clarity of the bass none of the muddiness I had experienced with my prior set-up. AND it was easy to set-up!

I'm anxious now to give it further testing (musically-speaking) and I'll give my impressions as I do some minor tweaking.
post #206 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM

I like reading the SVS threads because they're all so happy. Everybody is lauding the customer service and the performance of the product. It's a big departure from the AV123 thread that's for sure.
post #207 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

Thanks, Irvin.
The real issue I had with the bic-h100 was I couldn't get it to 'blend' seamlessly into the sonic environment. I wanted solid bass for the HT experience, but I didn't want the experience to include a thumpy box that made it's room location apparent every time it was called upon to perform. I struggled with adjustments and levels and crossover and phase...but the bottom line was, it just wasnt the solution for my set-up. The resulting bass was pretty muddy and never really delivered that 'gut-wrenching' bass oomph I was hoping for. In hindsight, I probably should have opted for something larger than the H100 considering the roomsize. Live & learn...

I have to say, even in it's initial trial, the SVS delivered! The 'visceral' experience of feeling each cannon fire or explosion across the room brought grins to all our faces ("whoa...! THAT was cool!"). What I also enjoyed was the clarity of the bass none of the muddiness I had experienced with my prior set-up. AND it was easy to set-up!

I'm anxious now to give it further testing (musically-speaking) and I'll give my impressions as I do some minor tweaking.

KevinA,

Are you able to give some dimensions for your HT/Listening area, The NSD is a big contender in my short list. I'll be needing to fill a 14'x22' room with a vaulted ceiling going from 8' to 11'. I know its an imprecise practice but It does give me a point of reference as a potential buyer to see how it would fair in my space.

AwardB, can you provide the same.

Much thanks guys
post #208 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKishkovsky View Post

KevinA,

Are you able to give some dimensions for your HT/Listening area, The NSD is a big contender in my short list. I'll be needing to fill a 14'x22' room with a vaulted ceiling going from 8' to 11'. I know its an imprecise practice but It does give me a point of reference as a potential buyer to see how it would fair in my space.

Much thanks guys

Sure....
My HT room is 18' (wide, facing screen)) x 17'(long). Seating is approximately 10-13' from front screen wall, with about 3' clearance to rear wall. The ceiling is peaked (at 9') and around 6.5' at it's lower point. You can see a photo of the front wall & ceiling peak in post#199. I sent a sketch of the room (Post #203) to SVS to get the recommendation on the appropriate cylinder sub for this size room. They recommended the PC12...either the Plus or the NSD. Both would provide the type of 'bass' impact I was looking for, with a slight edge in output to the Plus. $400-more of an edge? That was my call. Either way I go (plus or NSD), they said I'd be happy with the results. So far, I've been impressed with the impact the PC12-nsd has provided. And i can use the $400 i saved & use it on better surrounds...

Minor point, but aesthetically-speaking, the PC12-nsd is just the right height (35") to be fairly hidden behind the sofa in the corner. The Plus adds about 5' in height.
post #209 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

Sure....
My HT room is 18' (wide, facing screen)) x 17'(long). Seating is approximately 10-13' from front screen wall, with about 3' clearance to rear wall. The ceiling is peaked (at 9') and around 6.5' at it's lower point. You can see a photo of the front wall & ceiling peak in post#199. I sent a sketch of the room (Post #203) to SVS to get the recommendation on the appropriate cylinder sub for this size room. They recommended the PC12...either the Plus or the NSD. Both would provide the type of 'bass' impact I was looking for, with a slight edge in output to the Plus. $400-more of an edge? That was my call. Either way I go (plus or NSD), they said I'd be happy with the results. So far, I've been impressed with the impact the PC12-nsd has provided. And i can use the $400 i saved & use it on better surrounds...

Minor point, but aesthetically-speaking, the PC12-nsd is just the right height (35") to be fairly hidden behind the sofa in the corner. The Plus adds about 5' in height.

Sweet, Thanks for info. My father in law has a plus in a space roughly 3x my own so it was very difficult to guage on hearing his alone. Im now very optimistic that the nsd will yeild similar results to his in my viewing space.

Another question I have for any and all owners of nsd, The only frequency ratings Iv'e seen in print are extension of 17hz or lower in room, Any more data out there on this or am I picking knits at this point. The price is too sexy for me right now to make much of an informed decision.
post #210 of 834 Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

SVS has a nice 45-day return policy should you find that the NSD doesnt meet the need.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page